PDA

View Full Version : problem with BOINC and remote accessing

artemis8
02-06-12, 10:54 AM
So I asked my husband this week if he would install BOINC and he said he had in the past but he found it was problematic to run it during the day and then try to remote into his machine. It would just show a black screen and give him problems trying to remote in. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Fire$torm
02-06-12, 11:13 AM
So I asked my husband this week if he would install BOINC and he said he had in the past but he found it was problematic to run it during the day and then try to remote into his machine. It would just show a black screen and give him problems trying to remote in. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Nope. I use UltraVNC every day to manage 6 systems from my desktop. I do know that if a Windows machine has been running for more then 48 hours without a reboot it can make UltraVNC sluggish. That, as far as I know, is due to those systems having limited RAM, only 2GB per box, and Windows horrible memory management.

Christopher Herr
02-06-12, 11:29 AM

Hummm, artemis8, you might try TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) instead. Never had problems and what is more, it is free for personal use!

Hope this helps!

bmwr606
02-06-12, 11:31 AM
ditto on teamviewer!

trigggl
02-06-12, 12:49 PM
I'm currently logged into my machine at home from work getting ready to resume Rosetta when Simap runs out. Of course, I run Linux. YMMV

Bryan
02-06-12, 12:59 PM
A couple of years ago there WAS and issue with remote control via VNCs and BOINC. It would give a black screen. I really don't remember if it was caused by BOINC or the VNC being used.

I have been away from my machines for 3 1/2 months now and I have been controlling them with TeamViewer and I've had absolutely no problems. I would suggest that your husband try it again with a current version of BOINC and a current VNC!

Al
02-06-12, 01:05 PM
Hummm, artemis8, you might try TeamViewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) instead. Never had problems and what is more, it is free for personal use!

Hope this helps!

Question. The last time I tried remote access as soon as I logged in Win7 defaulted to its default drivers, thus shutting down my gpus. Does anyone else have this problem?

zombie67
02-06-12, 01:32 PM
Ah, now it is coming back. The problem is with the native windows implementation of screen sharing (or whatever it is called). Use a true VNC, and there is no problem.

spingadus
02-06-12, 01:45 PM
Yeah, never use windows Remote Desktop into a Boinc machine where you are crunching with your gpu. It cause the machine to change to a safe gpu driver and stop your gpu crunching. You have to use a different software like vnc or the others that were mentioned. Vnc works fine for me.

coronicus
02-06-12, 09:49 PM
Aye I had video issues with boinc and windows remote when running gpu projects. My recomendation for now is to kill the gpu projects so he can continue using windows remote control. Would rather have some cpu power for the time being till there is a better way to get around the gpu issue.

Bryan
02-06-12, 09:53 PM
I think you guys have it right. It is when you try to use Windows built-in remote software because I remember the problem of the GPUs shutting down. If you use a true VNC like TeamViewer or UltraVNC then I don't think there is an issue.

Boy this topic is sure dusting off the old cob webs. My memory isn't what it used to be :))

When I'm at home (with the computers) I only have 1 machine that has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor on it. The other machines are all controlled with BoincTasks and TeamViewer.

coronicus
02-06-12, 10:05 PM
When I'm at home (with the computers) I only have 1 machine that has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor on it. The other machines are all controlled with BoincTasks and TeamViewer.

Thats a good point what you can do is use boinctask (think there is another one that does it to if you dont like it) which controls boinc on the other computers over the network. Just install on a pc that doesnt run a gpu project that way when your home you can either turn on or off the gpu project when you want and if your like me and forget when you leave the house can atleast remote to the machine that can control it and turn it off so he can go back to doing what he was doing. I know it can be allot but i would atleast recomend playing with bointask and once you get a feel for it then present him with this idea.

GalaxyIce
02-07-12, 03:54 AM
I used an app called iTeleport to remote control my kit from an iPhone. Now I've dumped the iPhone and have an android. Does anyone know if there is a good app to remote control from an android mobile? Is there an VNC version for android that works OK does anyone know?

Christopher Herr
02-07-12, 05:27 AM
I used an app called iTeleport to remote control my kit from an iPhone. Now I've dumped the iPhone and have an android. Does anyone know if there is a good app to remote control from an android mobile? Is there an VNC version for android that works OK does anyone know?

Yep, GalaxyIce, again TeamViewer, just surf the website's download section or look in the Android market! Works fine on my HTC Desire (bravo; NOT CDMA) with CyanogenMod 7.10 release! ;)

YMMV of course...

EDIT: I second the BoincTasks thingy, tying in remotely into a stable, perhaps non-GPU host, using TeamViewer or about any other stable remote desktop application and using BoincTasks to control all other hosts in your network. The same can of course be done with BoincManager itself, but that is more complicated in my opinion, as it will not remember the passwords.

For Android there is another fine app: AndroBOINC , just look it up in the market. I am quite sure it can be used to remote control BOINC alone, if and only if you configure your router accordingly to forward the ports you configure in AndroBOINC and use a DynDNS service to cope with the problem of changing IPs.

Al
02-07-12, 06:48 AM
Yep, GalaxyIce, again TeamViewer, just surf the website's download section or look in the Android market! Works fine on my HTC Desire (bravo; NOT CDMA) with CyanogenMod 7.10 release! ;)

YMMV of course...

EDIT: I second the BoincTasks thingy, tying in remotely into a stable, perhaps non-GPU host, using TeamViewer or about any other stable remote desktop application and using BoincTasks to control all other hosts in your network. The same can of course be done with BoincManager itself, but that is more complicated in my opinion, as it will not remember the passwords.

For Android there is another fine app: AndroBOINC , just look it up in the market. I am quite sure it can be used to remote control BOINC alone, if and only if you configure your router accordingly to forward the ports you configure in AndroBOINC and use a DynDNS service to cope with the problem of changing IPs.

I never had much luck with AndroBOINC, but that might have been operator error. I will say I tried Teamviewer last night and was remoting in within a few minutes, without any Gpu problems, from my Droid Incredible. Thanks for recommending it!

Christopher Herr
02-07-12, 07:09 AM
I never had much luck with AndroBOINC, but that might have been operator error. I will say I tried Teamviewer last night and was remoting in within a few minutes, without any Gpu problems, from my Droid Incredible. Thanks for recommending it!

You are welcome, Al McAdams!
By the way regarding operator error with AndroBOINC, I have not yet gotten what I described to work, but IMHO it has to work. My problem could be I am behind two routers, the first one making the connection to the ISP, the second connecting all my BOINC hosts to the first router and thus to the internet.
So at the moment and until I get that sorted out, I am just using AndroBOINC for a quick peek from time to time inside my WLAN and using reserved IP addresses.

artemis8
02-07-12, 09:59 AM
Thanks all. Hubby does use teamviewer and last night I got him to install boinc manager and connect to WCG. Hopefully things go smoothly from there.