PDA

View Full Version : Just did a reinstall of Windows 7 Pro and...

kaptainkarl1
02-07-12, 11:22 AM
I just reinstalled Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit on my newly build rig and now it refuses to see my 560 ti gpu. The strange thing is that the card was recognized before.
The issue is that windows thinks the card is a generic VGA adapter and when I try to install the most up to date driver from Nvidia the driver doesn't see the card and won't run.

Here is my build:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Case: Paid $102 Refurbished from Geeks.com.

ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 motherboard ($429) and 2 Thermaltake Socket G34 heatsinks
($39) each to push it over $500 so I could get $100 off from NewEggBusiness: Paid $408.

AMD OPTERON 12 CORE PROCESSOR 6174 2.2GHZ ($445) from EBAY: Paid $445.

EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores Classified 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ($300) Gifted a Patriot Gift - Patriot Torqx 2 2.5" 32GB SATA II
which I sold for $50 on Amazon. NewEggBusiness: Paid $250

OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply ($199) and
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($79) which
were a combo deal with $40 off from NewEgg: Paid $240.

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-90G 2.5" 90GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($159)
$25 off and a $30 rebate. NewEgg: Paid $105.

Patriot Signature 8GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($65)
with a $15 rebate. NewEgg: Paid $50.

ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS ($79) with $20 Rebate and Gifted
Blu Ray discs $7. NewEgg: Paid $52

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - SATA/600 - 7200 rpm
64 MB Buffer. EBAY: Paid $118

RGathright offered up this advice which I have not had time to try yet but will as soon as I can this evening:

ASSUMING YOU HAVE AN ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard...

1) Switch the video card to another slot.
2) If that don't work, turn off the internal VGA adapter by navigating the BIOS menus and finding any reference to it. Also a good time to make sure it is looking for a PCI-e card.
3) Try another video card... if that works, your system may not recognize the 560Ti (remember I only have tested the 550Ti and GT430 in mine).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fire$torm
02-07-12, 12:10 PM
Ok I will assume you have your monitor plugged into the 560. With that we know the card works.

1) Download and install Driver Sweeper (Link (http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7iTpVjFPJmIA5g9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyODNvdTk 3BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0RGUjVfNzU-/SIG=11v2miujh/EXP=1328662377/**http%3a//phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html)) and CCleaner (Link (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner))
2) Reset your BIOS. Use the predefined "Safe" option, boot into Windows Safe Mode, Login and then reboot.
3) Click Windows Start Button (Blue Orb) > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Nvidia Graphics Driver. If Nvidia's uninstaller has a "uninstall everything" option use it. Reboot into Windows Safe Mode.
4) Run Driver Sweeper, check-mark NVIDIA - Display, click the Analyze button, when it completes its search click the clean button and then accept the reboot pop-up and again boot into Windows Safe Mode.
5) Now right-click Recycle Bin and select CCleaner. On the left column click the registry button, then the "Scan for Issues button (bottom left) and then the "Fix selected Issues button (bottom right).
6) Reinstall Nvidia drivers. Note you may want to try going back one or two versions.
7) And finally you can boot into your BIOS and make changes as you see fit.

F$

Edit: In #2, the reason for booting into safe mode is to clear all the Windows boot cache files. On rare occasions this alone can fix hardware problems so check if Windows can see your card before proceeding.

kaptainkarl1
02-07-12, 11:44 PM
Reset Bios. Booted in Safe Mode. Rebooted. Windows still labels the card a Standard VGA graphics adapter. Which keeps the Nvidia driver software from recognizing the card and running.

I built the system. Installing the GPU after installing windows and making sure everything else was running smoothly. Install GPU figured out the bios setting for pcie graphic card or onboard adapter option and install drivers and away we go. The solid state drive did not take the format which left me with 18gb free after the install of Windows which led me to do a clean install of Windows with the GPU in place and now here we are.

Tell me that I am not crazy stupid or both. Also tell me I don't need to reinstall windows sans the freakin card to make this work.

Ok tried switching card to other slot and rebooting. Same story.

Firestorm there are no drivers installed on the computer as I can't install them and just did a clean install of windows. What do I do now besides going postal?

spingadus
02-08-12, 01:35 AM
How about this:

1. Make sure the bios doesn't have a setting that specifially says to use/enable pci-e slots or shows the order like PCI/PCI-E. Should just say PCI-E.

2. Manually install the driver via device manager. right click->properties->update driver software-> browse computer for software (prior to this you should have downloaded and installed the drivers to a directory where you can use. Defaults to c:\nvidia)

3. Try the auto detect feature for nvidia drivers on the driver website. Option 2. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

4. Download the driver to a folder and run setup.exe as administrator. Go to custom and select 'perform clean installation'.

5. You could also try deleting the driver from device manager to see if it is re-detected properly. Make sure you can use the on board video connection in case it doesn't work.

6. Try booting with a Linux live cd and see if it can detect the card to verify that it's windows.

Last question: Did you update Win 7 with the latest service pack? Not sure if this would affect a video driver, but maybe it needs some other component with that card.

Fire$torm
02-08-12, 03:41 AM
spingadus has some good points. Some MB,s won't let you run onboard video & video card together. In such cases you would need to select PCIE or PCI Express for Video Device/Primary Video.

Win7 does come with basic drivers for nVidia and ATI which can be a problem so using Driver Sweeper to purge them is a good idea. Another thing to try is to boot your system from an Ubuntu LiveCD (Link (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download)). You can use a CD or USB Thumb Drive (Link (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/)) to do this though if you have a CD-RW disc that would be easier. If Ubuntu detects the card then you know a Win reinstall is in order. Sorry bout that......

kaptainkarl1
02-08-12, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys I will go through and trouble shoot further tonight using your welcome advice. Let's hope it works. I didn't know that driver sweeper clears the windows pre installed drivers and did not give that a go last night. I was a little frustrated at that point anyway. I will try driver sweeper tonight.

@ Spingadus
I will double check the BIOS again. Windows is updated. I will try to manually install the driver again. Tried the detect hardware feature at NVIDIA to no avail. Will try the rest tonight.

kaptainkarl1
02-08-12, 09:29 PM
Tried everything you both have offered. Ubuntu would not boot from disc. 120 sec timeout or some such I don't know. I guess I will try a reinstall of windows with the gpu out of the computer and install it after I am up and running. It worked the first time...Crossing my fingers.

Fire$torm
02-08-12, 11:20 PM
Tried everything you both have offered. Ubuntu would not boot from disc. 120 sec timeout or some such I don't know. I guess I will try a reinstall of windows with the gpu out of the computer and install it after I am up and running. It worked the first time...Crossing my fingers.

Darn it. Sorry nothing helped. And if you haven't done the re-reinstall yet then make note of the info Windows gives about the display adapter. Then after the reinstall with only the onboard video compare the new info to the old. I'm beginning to think that maybe your GPU isn't initializing properly during system POST.

spingadus
02-08-12, 11:23 PM
Look at this post at nvidia.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=150471

The fix is on post #9. Something about the gpu id not being listed in the inf file for some reason, so it's not detected properly.

Fire$torm
02-08-12, 11:46 PM
Look at this post at nvidia.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=150471

The fix is on post #9. Something about the gpu id not being listed in the inf file for some reason, so it's not detected properly.

Excellent find! Good job. Now why hasn't nVidea ever addressed this problem? Very stupid.........

kaptainkarl1
02-09-12, 09:26 AM
Got it fixed. The driver from Nvidia was the issue. When I downloaded the Driver from EVGA and followed instructions from the forum there it worked just like it should. I have learned my lesson and will start at the right place next time.

Thank you Firestorm and thank you Spingadus for sticking with me on this and trying to see me through it.

This is an excellent guide to installation and updating of Nvidia Drivers. It explains everything very well and also talks about the new drivers and how they are different and need to be removed and replaced differently.

Really great stuff!

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372