PDA

View Full Version : I7 build

c303a
02-10-12, 10:01 AM
Looking to build either an i5 2500K or an i7 2600K. I will have 2x GTX465s and 8gb ram. This is going to replace my q6600 quad core. Question is which motherboard should use. Because of price I am considering these. http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/compare.asp?CatId=13

coronicus
02-10-12, 10:21 AM
Looking to build either an i5 2500K or an i7 2600K. I will have 2x GTX465s and 8gb ram. This is going to replace my q6600 quad core. Question is which motherboard should use. Because of price I am considering these. http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/compare.asp?CatId=13

I would stick with the z68 chipset imo.. can pick up a gygabyte board for 99 or the asus for 109 they both have dual pcie. Although not pcie 3.0 but that doesnt matter cause the sandy dont have pcie3 anyhow would have to wait for ivy.

Fire$torm
02-10-12, 11:14 AM
If you think you might need 3 PCIe slots...

EVGA Z68 SLI 130-SB-E685-KR
Newegg: $159.99 w/Free Shipping ($119.99 after MIR) (Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188097))

CompUSA's price for that MB is $233.99! (Link (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1118866)) ????

c303a
02-10-12, 12:16 PM
Thanks F$. That looks like a great board and it has the x1 pci-e slots out where at least 1 can be used. I will be ordering board, cpu (I5 or I7, don't know which will fit the budget yet) and memory hopefully on Monday. I usually order from Comp because I can get it the next day but I do get some parts from the Egg if they are cheaper.

coronicus
02-10-12, 12:35 PM
If you think you might need 3 PCIe slots...

EVGA Z68 SLI 130-SB-E685-KR
Newegg: $159.99 w/Free Shipping ($119.99 after MIR) (Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188097))

CompUSA's price for that MB is $233.99! (Link (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1118866)) ????

wow thats a nice find if you dont mind rebates.. Lots of pcie for later upgrades...

coronicus
02-10-12, 12:37 PM
Thanks F$. That looks like a great board and it has the x1 pci-e slots out where at least 1 can be used. I will be ordering board, cpu (I5 or I7, don't know which will fit the budget yet) and memory hopefully on Monday. I usually order from Comp because I can get it the next day but I do get some parts from the Egg if they are cheaper.

FYI if you use the x1 slot then that last pcie will go to x2 speed instead of x4 and from my experience most video card wont run lower then x4 but still a very nice board either way.

c303a
02-10-12, 01:09 PM
After reading the reviews on that board I think I will go with one that only has 2 pci-e slots. Reviews say a lot of DOA board and you are unable to use all 3 slots because they are too close together. I don't think I am going to run 3 cards due to heat anyway. The other card I have is a GTX460 and the 3 of them generate a lot of heat.

Mike029
02-10-12, 04:21 PM
After reading the reviews on that board I think I will go with one that only has 2 pci-e slots. Reviews say a lot of DOA board and you are unable to use all 3 slots because they are too close together. I don't think I am going to run 3 cards due to heat anyway. The other card I have is a GTX460 and the 3 of them generate a lot of heat.

Micro Center has a great deal going if you buy a 2600k for $279.99 you can get the Asus P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0371775
Here is the link to the flyer

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/catalogs/index.html

Best deal I've seen in a long time.

c303a
02-10-12, 05:30 PM
That's why I hate Microcenter. The processor is only available in store. It is cheaper then Comp or the egg but it is a long way to a store from here.

Mike029
02-10-12, 07:37 PM
That's why I hate Microcenter. The processor is only available in store. It is cheaper then Comp or the egg but it is a long way to a store from here.

I hate it too. Sorry Bro.

coronicus
02-11-12, 12:12 AM
Man thats a good price on that i7 ugh paid 330 for mine

Mike029
02-11-12, 07:52 AM
Man thats a good price on that i7 ugh paid 330 for mine
They throw in that Asus MB P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 for $59.00. You can get the MB and 2600k for the price I paid for the 2600k alone. Sweet deal. They need to build more of these stores near SUSA members. :p

c303a
02-12-12, 07:59 PM
One problem with the board is that it is a crossfire board and from what I have been told I won't be able to run the 2x GTX465s in SLI. That is a great board and Comp has it for 109 after rebate.

Maxwell
02-12-12, 08:40 PM
One problem with the board is that it is a crossfire board and from what I have been told I won't be able to run the 2x GTX465s in SLI. That is a great board and Comp has it for 109 after rebate.
That shouldn't make a difference, should it? I've never had a need to run SLI, but the only reason they call it a Crossfire Board is because that's what they tested it with...

Fire$torm
02-12-12, 09:36 PM
That shouldn't make a difference, should it? I've never had a need to run SLI, but the only reason they call it a Crossfire Board is because that's what they tested it with...

Correct. SLI will work on that board. All the communication is done directly between the cards hence the cable. It is mostly just an advertising gimmick. The only real contribution the MB gives is in the PCIe bus speed but that is a function of the Northbridge/CPU On-Die PCIe controller.

c303a
02-13-12, 09:44 AM
GREAT! I am going to order the board from Comp this afternoon and since I really like the I7 that will also be gotten through Comp....Darn Microcenter! Memory has to come from the Egg so it will take a couple of days to get it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220535 8gb will be enough to start and 2000mhz is just as cheap (?) as the lesser speeds. They also have Gskill 2133 8gb for about the same $. Might go with that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231518
This should be a great upgrade.

coronicus
02-13-12, 10:16 AM
GREAT! I am going to order the board from Comp this afternoon and since I really like the I7 that will also be gotten through Comp....Darn Microcenter! Memory has to come from the Egg so it will take a couple of days to get it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220535 8gb will be enough to start and 2000mhz is just as cheap (?) as the lesser speeds. They also have Gskill 2133 8gb for about the same $. Might go with that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231518
This should be a great upgrade.

careful with the ram if you have to rma the processor to intel.. They only warantee cpu if your using 1.5v memory fyi..

c303a
02-13-12, 10:51 AM
Aw come on now. Any more cold wateer on me? Looks like I'd have to go to PC15000 to get a reasonable price on them and get the 1.5v. Unless I decide to chance the warranty issue. So far I have never had to RMA a cpu so I am inclined to chance it. I have to contemplate on that one.:confused::confused::confused:

coronicus
02-13-12, 11:43 AM
Aw come on now. Any more cold wateer on me? Looks like I'd have to go to PC15000 to get a reasonable price on them and get the 1.5v. Unless I decide to chance the warranty issue. So far I have never had to RMA a cpu so I am inclined to chance it. I have to contemplate on that one.:confused::confused::confused:

Back when i was researching i believe the memory control is on the cpu and when folks were extreme overclocking they would burn it up but i dont know if that was corrected with z68 chipset maybe someone else who knows more about it but i went with the 1.5v to avoid any issues. Course most of this info was from forums so i dont know how truthful it is just what i read.

Fire$torm
02-13-12, 02:30 PM
Back when i was researching i believe the memory control is on the cpu and when folks were extreme overclocking they would burn it up but i dont know if that was corrected with z68 chipset maybe someone else who knows more about it but i went with the 1.5v to avoid any issues. Course most of this info was from forums so i dont know how truthful it is just what i read.

Yep, still holds true. Look at any socket 1555 MB and you see that none of them have a Northbridge chip. Mem & PCI controllers are on the CPU. The stuff that they couldn't fit on the CPU have been moved to the Southbridge.

Wikipedia
Core i Series chipsets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_i_Series_chipsets

Sandy Bridge microarchitecture (32nm): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Based_on_San dy_Bridge_microarchitecture_2

Also the alarmist in me needs to draw your attention to the following

(Sandy Bridge - Intel Insider and remote-control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Intel_Insider_and_remote-control))

The processors include a "service" called Intel Insider which the company calls "an extra layer of content protection".[29] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#cite_note-28) This protection technology is only intended for streaming services at the moment.

Sandy Bridge processors with vPro capability have security features that can remotely disable a PC or erase information from hard drives. This can be useful in the case of a lost or stolen PC. The commands can be received through 3G signals, Ethernet, or Internet connections. AES encryption acceleration will be available, which can be useful for video conferencing and VoIP applications.[30] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#cite_note-fall2010forum-29)

The "at the moment" bit gives me the willies..........

c303a
02-13-12, 03:21 PM
Trouble is that with all the features on that MB I just have to go with the I7 to get everything to work. I think I will take my chances and just do it. I just have to .

Fire$torm
02-13-12, 03:55 PM
Trouble is that with all the features on that MB I just have to go with the I7 to get everything to work. I think I will take my chances and just do it. I just have to .

The Tech is calling. Resistance is futile!

c303a
02-13-12, 04:19 PM
The Tech is calling. Resistance is futile!

I have obeyed oh great F$! I decided to just get everything from the Egg. The whole thing cost $10 more there but I will have everything Wednesday. I went with a Gskill Sniper series memory. Had good reviews and they were only $64.99. Hope it all goes together and works as advertised. :D:D:D

Mike029
02-13-12, 05:58 PM
I have obeyed oh great F$! I decided to just get everything from the Egg. The whole thing cost $10 more there but I will have everything Wednesday. I went with a Gskill Sniper series memory. Had good reviews and they were only $64.99. Hope it all goes together and works as advertised. :D:D:D

That is sweet. Your going to be real happy with that puppy. Can't wait to watch all the stones you'll be throwing. :-bd

c303a
02-13-12, 09:23 PM
That is sweet. Your going to be real happy with that puppy. Can't wait to watch all the stones you'll be throwing. :-bd

I'm not worried about the stones it will be throwing I'm worried about the things the wife is going to be throwing when she finds out. Good Italian temper and all and I mean straight from Italy.:eek::eek::eek:

Fire$torm
02-13-12, 09:52 PM
I'm not worried about the stones it will be throwing I'm worried about the things the wife is going to be throwing when she finds out. Good Italian temper and all and I mean straight from Italy.:eek::eek::eek:

Mamma Mia, that's sa very big'a pot in your wall..........

c303a
02-13-12, 10:40 PM
Mamma Mia, that's sa very big'a pot in your wall..........

That's sa probably where she's a gonna put me. ...in the wall.

Fire$torm
02-13-12, 10:55 PM
That's sa probably where she's a gonna put me. ...in the wall.

Well, as long as you can remote into you systems, your good........

c303a
02-14-12, 02:31 PM
All parts have arrived in Des Moines Iowa and will be here tomorrow. I wil have it up and running if I have to stay up until the wee hours. I really am excited about that MB. OCing here I come!

Mike029
02-14-12, 03:56 PM
All parts have arrived in Des Moines Iowa and will be here tomorrow. I wil have it up and running if I have to stay up until the wee hours. I really am excited about that MB. OCing here I come!

Hmm,:-?, how to hide it from a daughter of Rome? ^#(^,@};- Yeah, that's it. Lots of flowers. :p

Duke of Buckingham
02-14-12, 04:53 PM
My wife doesn`t like me to have it up or running without her permission also. Mainly if I am excited without her nearby. But when I am up and excited and she arrive by surprise she always put me in the wall. I think your wife is right c303a.

I need to study English again, this is getting very tricky.

Crazy Duke making a lot of confusions. :-o

c303a
02-14-12, 05:12 PM
Hmm,:-?, how to hide it from a daughter of Rome? ^#(^,@};- Yeah, that's it. Lots of flowers. :p

Never spoil them with flowers....Just make sure she doesn't see the credit card bill. All done on line and I pay the bills.:D:D\m/\m/
And she doesn't know anything about using a computer.

c303a
02-16-12, 05:54 PM
the nice new Asus board arriived. I/O package was open so it was an open box and not new. When I started placing components on it to see how everything fit together I noticed one big glaring item. No way was the sli bridge that I have going to work. The 2 GEN3pci-e slots are a lot closer together and this board did not have a sli bridge. After thinking about it I decided to RMA the board to the egg. I really didn't want the trouble of maybe installing everything and then have a bad board since someone else already seems to have had it. I have ordered a more expensive board and have it coming air so I should have it tomorrow. Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3.This will allow pci-e 3.0 later if I ever get to that point.
I have to say that I have never had a better customer experience then with the egg. No questions asked. RMA e-mailed and a prepaid UPS label e-mailed. Great servicce.

coronicus
02-16-12, 11:20 PM
the nice new Asus board arriived. I/O package was open so it was an open box and not new. When I started placing components on it to see how everything fit together I noticed one big glaring item. No way was the sli bridge that I have going to work. The 2 GEN3pci-e slots are a lot closer together and this board did not have a sli bridge. After thinking about it I decided to RMA the board to the egg. I really didn't want the trouble of maybe installing everything and then have a bad board since someone else already seems to have had it. I have ordered a more expensive board and have it coming air so I should have it tomorrow. Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3.This will allow pci-e 3.0 later if I ever get to that point.
I have to say that I have never had a better customer experience then with the egg. No questions asked. RMA e-mailed and a prepaid UPS label e-mailed. Great servicce.

I have to agree there customer service is great but im really getting concerned about this open box stuff the motherboard i ordered also seemed to be open box and now after all the issues with moo and the 6950 the board finally craped out im having to rma my board off so my I7 will be going offline soon.. So what board did you go with im really thinking of just ordering a new one and this time not skimp on it.

c303a
02-17-12, 10:14 AM
I ended up going with the Asus P8Z68-v/gen3. It was a little more then I wanted to spend but I think I can upgrade to better video cards later on. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792
The big differeence as far as crossfire and sli on this old board and this one is that this one has a pci-e slot and a pci slot between the pci-e x 16 slots. That give me the ability to run with the sli bridge thta I have and not have to go looking for one for a crossfire rig. I just don't use ATI cards. I am a die-hard NVIDIA person.

The new board is out for delivery. I hope he gets here earlier then he usually does. 4 PM means I will be up till the wee hours again.

Fire$torm
02-17-12, 10:55 AM
the nice new Asus board arriived. I/O package was open so it was an open box and not new...

I have to agree there customer service is great but im really getting concerned about this open box stuff the motherboard i ordered also seemed to be open box and now after all the issues with moo and the 6950 the board finally craped out im having to rma my board off so my I7 will be going offline soon.. So what board did you go with im really thinking of just ordering a new one and this time not skimp on it.

Are both of you saying you ordered "New" MBs and Newegg sent you open box units or that you knew you ordered open box and Newegg sent you duds?

I ended up going with the Asus P8Z68-v/gen3. It was a little more then I wanted to spend but I think I can upgrade to better video cards later on. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792
The big differeence as far as crossfire and sli on this old board and this one is that this one has a pci-e slot and a pci slot between the pci-e x 16 slots. That give me the ability to run with the sli bridge thta I have and not have to go looking for one for a crossfire rig. I just don't use ATI cards. I am a die-hard NVIDIA person.

The new board is out for delivery. I hope he gets here earlier then he usually does. 4 PM means I will be up till the wee hours again.

Sweet. All is fun in Nerdsville. :P

c303a
02-17-12, 07:58 PM
I ordered new and I am pretty sure that it was an open box. When the i/o plate packaging is torn open and the plate is bent a little it is a pretty good indicator that you have received an open box.
The new board is up and running! I have not installed Boinc yet since I decided to really get reckless and do an absolute clean install. I thought I would start fresh. I had to put a lot of things onto my external drive and then transfer them to the c and d drives. I think I got everything important, if not tough.
The board installed very easily and booted on the first try. Memory is running at 1921 and cpu is at 3.5+. I have not gone into any ocing yet because I ran out of Thermal paste and the cpu runs very hot with the Intel junk. I am at 60 degrees c. I ordered some from Compusa this afternoon. Hopefully will get it by Monday or Tuesday.
All I will say about the I7 compared to my Q6600 is WOW. This thing screams.
OK time to download boinc and see where the temps go. Hopefully I will be able to run the 2 gpu at least and maybe a couple of cores of boinc.

Fire$torm
02-17-12, 10:22 PM
OK, I just wasn't sure which way you had ordered the MB. Man, that was a real big screw up on Newegg's part. But it had to be a mistake within their shipping & receiving. Newegg knows better than to intentionally shame a customer like that. And I have had just the opposite of your experience. The AMD MB I bought from them was listed as an Open Box. But what they sent was brand spanking new. Even the box was fresh and everything was in sealed factory packaging. Go figure. Well at least your up and running. That next-gen i7 will blow the doors off of my 920. So enjoy. :-bd

c303a
02-18-12, 12:46 AM
I can say that they took care of it in a hurry and I had no hasell returning the board. As long as they have service like that I will order from them again. Make a mistake and clear it up counts big time for me. I under stand making a mistake. I've made alot.

coronicus
02-18-12, 01:07 AM
Sweet glad to hear your up and running.. and yes that heatsink for the I7 and I5 K series sucks forgot to say something about it. Im guess they assume most folks would buy new heatsink they should of just not included any with those series imo.. As for the newegg board yes the tape closing the static bag was loose and stuff that comes with the board was all over the place but i figure since it was a cheaper MB it was just cheap packaging from asrock. Once i got it up and running went into the bios to set some tweaks and guess what, it was already setup with some overclocking settings. To top it off been talking to asrock tech for several weeks trying to figure out why i have poping from the sound card aswell as center channel distortion. Had already order the same board for a friend for his I5 the packaging was well organzied and wasnt thrown all over the place and well default bios and the sound worked my luck i guess.. Had made many purchases from newegg without issue so this is the first for me but if i even suspect open box in the future ill send it back asap... So monday i get to send off the motherboard and be without for several weeks unless i order a new board but havent made up my mind since i want an ivy and of course the new Z chipset so might just have to suffer for the mean time..

c303a
02-20-12, 01:08 PM
Looks like a new cooler is in stock for the I7. I can't run it anymore then stock speed and 100% on Boinc with out it going up to 80 degrees. I have a water system that I am going to see if I can adapt from the LGA775 CPU to this one. The LGA1155 has the holes a little farther apart so I will have to look at all the adapters and see if I have the right one.

I hate to spend the money on a good CPU only to find out that as usual Intel's cooling sucks.

Fire$torm
02-20-12, 01:23 PM
Looks like a new cooler is in stock for the I7. I can't run it anymore then stock speed and 100% on Boinc with out it going up to 80 degrees. I have a water system that I am going to see if I can adapt from the LGA775 CPU to this one. The LGA1155 has the holes a little farther apart so I will have to look at all the adapters and see if I have the right one.

I hate to spend the money on a good CPU only to find out that as usual Intel's cooling sucks.

Ha, sooo true. BTW, Intel will not be including a cooler for any Sandy Bridge-E CPUs. They instead are selling a separate closed loop water cooling solution. Can't wait to see how they Fubar that!

If you are using a Corsair H series cooler you should be able to find brackets for it on eBay or on Corsair's website.

c303a
02-20-12, 02:17 PM
I have an older Thermaltake water cooler that I had mounted on the bottom of my case but I will have to do a lot of changing because the 2x GTX 465s take up all that space now. And I am using a Thermaltake Shark full tower case. Just no room with those cards in it. I've got the side panel off now and am trying to engineer a way to put the tank, pump and hoses in now but it doesn't look good. Might have to look into an air cooler.

Fire$torm
02-20-12, 02:57 PM
I have an older Thermaltake water cooler that I had mounted on the bottom of my case but I will have to do a lot of changing because the 2x GTX 465s take up all that space now. And I am using a Thermaltake Shark full tower case. Just no room with those cards in it. I've got the side panel off now and am trying to engineer a way to put the tank, pump and hoses in now but it doesn't look good. Might have to look into an air cooler.

Hey, have you considered using a drive bay mounted tank. I have seen some with built-in regulators but don't recall who made them. Anyhow it would free up a lot of case space.

c303a
02-20-12, 06:51 PM
I've seen some of those and will have to consider one. I am just getting frustrated that I can't get anymore HP out of this thing on air and I have great cooling on the case. I think I am going to play around with that first.

c303a
02-25-12, 04:19 PM
The I7 now has a new cooler. I installed a CoolerMaster V6 GT cooling system Those 2x 120 MM fans sure make a big difference in the temps. I am now running at Extreme in the bios and 100% on Boinc and getting temps of 67-68 c.

coronicus
02-25-12, 04:24 PM
So is it finally complete, Grats... Pics???? i know i know im always asking... hehe..

Fire$torm
02-25-12, 07:40 PM
Sweet! I'm glad you found a good solution.

If you ever decide on a new case then consider getting one that will accept at least 140mm fans for the intake. The reason: Akasa Viper 140mm fans (Link (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13819/fan-901/Akasa_140mm_x_25mm_Viper_PWM_Fan_w_Hydro_Dynamic_B earings_AK-FN063.html)) I use two for my intake and the are whisper quiet. The Vipers have really good static pressure, move a lot of air, and did I mention that they are whisper quiet?

c303a
02-26-12, 11:12 AM
7782x 120 mm fans on cooler, 1x 120 fan front and rear, 2x Evga GTX 465 factory overclocked video cards in SLI mode, 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB hard drives, 1100 watt Apevia power supply, Coolermaster V6GT cpu cooler with 2x 120mm fans, and of course I7 2600K cpu sitting on an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 motherboard. All inside a Thermaltake Black Shark full tower case all built over time from parts. If you notice it is already set up to put in 2 more hard drives if needed. You can also see why a water cooling system can no longer be mounted on the base of the case. In the Extreme setting the cpu is running at 4430.5 mhz.

779Not a very good picture but it shows core temp running at extreme in bios. All cores in the mid 50 degrees.Fans are on silent mode. I will try some mild overclocking in a few days.

coronicus
02-26-12, 01:36 PM
wow that cooler is just awesome... Thanks for the pics...

c303a
02-26-12, 01:53 PM
The cooler is really great but it just fits in the case. Those 2x 120mm fans are big and the entire assembly is heavy. Shipping weight with box, packing, accessories was 5 lbs. and it was a bear to assemble. Needed 3 hands and another to hold the motherboard. Directions leave a lot to be desired. Luckily I have installed similar cooler and had an idea as to how it was supposed to go. Took about 2 hour from start to finish.

Fire$torm
02-26-12, 03:02 PM
Sweet setup! That cooler is RAD \m/

Plz let us know how the OC goes.

F$

c303a
02-26-12, 06:19 PM
Right now it is automatically oc ed by the bios to 4.43 and it is doing great. I still have the cuda shutdown error coming up but I will wait and see if that is a Grid problem.

zombie67
02-26-12, 06:56 PM
Right now it is automatically oc ed by the bios to 4.43 and it is doing great. I still have the cuda shutdown error coming up but I will wait and see if that is a Grid problem.

It is not a gpugrid problem. It impacts all CUDA applications, even those that aren't BOINC apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

c303a
02-27-12, 09:48 AM
It doesn't seem to be causing any harm. I get the error message but it keeps on crunching. Any idea what is causing it and what it is affecting?

c303a
02-28-12, 09:51 AM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I7 is down. Started having boot problems last night. It was taking several minutes to post and it kept getting worse. Called Asus and they had me pull all HD's and DVD's. Still would not post.There is a "boot device" LD on the board that would not go out. Long story short, the board has a problem RMA to Asus. Going out today and it will be 10-14 days after they get it back to see it again.:(:(:(:(:(

c303a
03-15-12, 06:11 PM
Finally got MB back from Asus Yesterday and spent the time putting the confuser back together. I am using the new cooler but am seriously considering trying to put the water cooling system back in. Startedd oc'ing today using AsusAI suite. Right now the cpu is running 4630 and the 2 GTX 465's are running at 850 mhz. Temps for both cpu and gpu s are in the mid 60 s running 8 instances of Docking, Leiden, World grid and Rosetta plus the GPU project. I will try to bump everything up again tomorrow if this stays stable.
Going to go look at 2 bay cooling since that is the only place I have space. My old cooler won't fit unless I pull a gpu and you know that isn't going to happen.

John P. Myers
03-15-12, 06:38 PM
Congrats on getting your system running properly finally! :)

Fire$torm
03-15-12, 06:56 PM
Congrats on getting your system running properly finally! :)

++1 Ditto here!

Justgeo1
03-19-12, 06:04 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I7 is down. Started having boot problems last night. It was taking several minutes to post and it kept getting worse. Called Asus and they had me pull all HD's and DVD's. Still would not post.There is a "boot device" LD on the board that would not go out. Long story short, the board has a problem RMA to Asus. Going out today and it will be 10-14 days after they get it back to see it again.:(:(:(:(:(

I hate it when that happens! My old MOBO had a memory management chip go bad... not a good thing at all when your MOBO is not up to speed...

c303a
03-19-12, 06:14 PM
It's been up and running for awhile now but the cooler just isn't doing the job. Coolermaster sent a "alternate hold down clip" today. So OH JOY, I get to take it all apart again. They should just include the clip in the original package, but no, you have to find out that the original clip does not hold the cooler securely to the motherboard and then you have to talk to customer service and wait a week to get the clip.

coronicus
03-19-12, 06:24 PM
Ugh... That just sucks, sorry to hear that.

Mike029
03-19-12, 10:47 PM
I just finished installing the H100 I bought from NewEgg. $95.00 after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Easy to install and dropped my temps 10 degrees while allowing me to OC my 2600k to 4.5.

DrPop
03-22-12, 01:57 AM
How loud is that thing? I tried to buy one months ago, but I think it was broken so I took it back. It would only do the fans at one speed - and it was LOUD. There is supposed to be the button that you push to make it cycle between 3 different speeds at least, but it wouldn't do squat, so I returned it and went with the old standby - Hyper 212 Plus. :p

c303a
03-22-12, 11:02 AM
The one I have is plugged into the cpu fan outlet on the motherboard so both fans are controlled by the mb. The button is for changing changing colors and to turn off the LED in the cooler top. Don't waste your money on it. It is only keeping the temps in the 70-73c range. I have removed it and modified my old 735 Big Water unit and now have it running on that. Under full load I have it down to 67-69 degrees running at 4630.
I don't know what I am going to do to bring down the temps yet. I am using the old 775 water block so I may look for one for the 1155 socket. So far I am pleased with the output of the chip but I don't like the temps or the overcclocking.

Mike029
03-22-12, 03:10 PM
How loud is that thing? I tried to buy one months ago, but I think it was broken so I took it back. It would only do the fans at one speed - and it was LOUD. There is supposed to be the button that you push to make it cycle between 3 different speeds at least, but it wouldn't do squat, so I returned it and went with the old standby - Hyper 212 Plus. :p

That is what I replaced. the Hyper 212. lol. I could only run the cpu at 3800 with temps. of 67 to 70. With the H100, I'm running at 4400 with temps of 57 to 61. I have the fans running on high and the noise is a bit load compared to the push/pull 212 setup it replaced. I am considering buying more efficient fans
(quieter/higher air flow) or reducing the oc. I have not decided yet.

Overall it has been worth the purchase.

Fire$torm
03-22-12, 03:51 PM
That is what I replaced. the Hyper 212. lol. I could only run the cpu at 3800 with temps. of 67 to 70. With the H100, I'm running at 4400 with temps of 57 to 61. I have the fans running on high and the noise is a bit load compared to the push/pull 212 setup it replaced. I am considering buying more efficient fans
(quieter/higher air flow) or reducing the oc. I have not decided yet.

Overall it has been worth the purchase.

If you have the funds try the Akasa Viper 120x25 fan - $13.95 (Link (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11111/fan-709/Akasa_120mm_x_25mm_Viper_PWM_Fan_w_Hydro_Dynamic_B earings_AK-FN059.html))

Akasa Viper Specs:
Dimension: 120 X 120 X 25mm
Fan speed: 600 -1900 RPM
Max airflow: 83.63 CFM (141.75 m3/h)
Max static air pressure: 2.98 mm H2O
Noise level: 6.9 -28.9 dB(A)
Current rating: 0.17A
Voltage rating: 12V DC
Bearing: HDB (Hydro Dynamic)
Fan life expectancy: 50,000 hours
Connector: 4pin PWM
Product code: AK-FN059

And btw, Mike have you seen this ---> Tom's Hardware - "Corsair Issues Warning of H100 Fan Controller Issues" (Link (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Corsair-H100-Fan-Controller-cooler,13589.html))

c303a
03-22-12, 05:41 PM
I was thinking of putting in a couple of these as case fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
With 110+ cfm I figure they should do a bit for the movement of air in the case. I just can't have anymore packages delivered for awhile. The wife is getting suspicious and I just got another 8gbs of ram which is supposed to be here tomorrow. That's why I modified my old Big Water rig and actually used some of the parts from the V6GT to get the block mounted to the mb.

Fire$torm
03-22-12, 06:17 PM
I was thinking of putting in a couple of these as case fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
With 110+ cfm I figure they should do a bit for the movement of air in the case. I just can't have anymore packages delivered for awhile. The wife is getting suspicious and I just got another 8gbs of ram which is supposed to be here tomorrow. That's why I modified my old Big Water rig and actually used some of the parts from the V6GT to get the block mounted to the mb.

That's not a bad noise level for 110CFM. One thing though, you need to be careful as some fans made by a lot of manufactures are designed to operate only at 12V. So using such a fan on a MB header to control fan speed won't work well. Quite a few just shut down. If you need variable speed the the easiest way to avoid that is only by one with a listed RPM range. Newegg is very unclear about that in many of the fan specs. Of course you can always call them and ask before buying. I just prefer full disclosure up front.

BTW, Though they don't sell all the same units as Newegg, FrozenCPU does a really job on listing fan specs. I have purchased stuff from them on two occasions. So far they have been excellent. And their customer service, needed it with the first order I placed, was very professional and courteous.

c303a
03-22-12, 07:34 PM
I go between the egg and compusa (tiger). I am willing to try anyone for good service. I can get things overnight usually and 2 days from the egg. I ordered teh memory last night late and it is in Milwaukee no and will be here tomorrow. I have had excellent service from both of them when I needed it.

Fire$torm
03-22-12, 08:03 PM
I go between the egg and compusa (tiger). I am willing to try anyone for good service. I can get things overnight usually and 2 days from the egg. I ordered teh memory last night late and it is in Milwaukee no and will be here tomorrow. I have had excellent service from both of them when I needed it.

Cool. Good service is key and worth its weight in Gold.

EmSti
03-22-12, 10:16 PM
Thanks F$. usually order from Comp because I can get it the next day but I do get some parts from the Egg if they are cheaper.

Keep an eye on amazon, I have had great luck getting things cheaper there, escpecially like-new "Amazon warehouse deals" (the used link). Like new is often just damanged box or opened box. I got Antec HCP-1200 ATX for $161 that was labeled as scratched ("scratch" came off, looks band new, testing next week). Your mileage may vary. All things I have purchase that way worked great except one blu-ray/surround package, I bought for wife's office. Return was super easy, UPS guy picked it up. I do Amazon Prime now and get most stuff 2 days no charge, $3.79 for overnight.

EmSti
03-22-12, 10:53 PM
I just finished installing the H100 I bought from NewEgg. $95.00 after MIR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Easy to install and dropped my temps 10 degrees while allowing me to OC my 2600k to 4.5.

I am one of the lucky ones and my 2600k is running at 4.7 totally stable, haven't tried anything higher. On air until the tech overhall next week, the cpu temp is 65c to 70c per core, during the challenges going full tilt, until my office gets over 75F. Sadly, I had to put a fan in my office to start moving hot air out. The loadest fan isn't in my case. I have a h100 waiting in the corner. My main heat problem is the heat leaking from the GPUs (the factory overclocked 570s) into the case and cutting down Zalman's cpu cooler performance and its fan is getting loader (the second 570 did me in). I plan to top mount the h100 in side the case and place the fans between case and radiator to push air down through the rad. Rather than push the hot GPU air up into rad. If the stock h100 fans are too annoying I plan to go to something like the Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P (PWM fan) or Scythe Gentle Typhoon (non-pwm).

If you have an Asus boards, this link really helped me put the final touches on my setttings (I have the p8p67 deluxe). The concepts apply to alot of their boards. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

EmSti
03-26-12, 11:13 PM
First part of upgrades done. I7 now on the H100, what a difference. Running Both 570s on Milkyway and full out on Docking 10c cooler. \:D/ I am pushing air down through the radaitor.

Fire$torm
03-26-12, 11:42 PM
First part of upgrades done. I7 now on the H100, what a difference. Running Both 570s on Milkyway and full out on Docking 10c cooler. \:D/ I am pushing air down through the radaitor.

Sweet! \m/