PDA

View Full Version : Stats are down

Bok
02-16-12, 12:18 AM
One of the SSD's in the database server is getting errors. I'm going to remotely unmount it and run an fsck and see if that fixes it.

Not having too much luck with hardware recently at all :(

Fire$torm
02-16-12, 01:00 AM
One of the SSD's in the database server is getting errors. I'm going to remotely unmount it and run an fsck and see if that fixes it.

Not having too much luck with hardware recently at all :(

Hope its not serious. Those SSD drives are like 6 months old right?

Bok
02-16-12, 01:14 AM
There are 3 SSD's in it and this is the oldest at 3 years old. Does not look like it wants to come back up.

Not much I can do from here. At times I really want to just give it up :(

It's only the stats and only the web facing database, so it can be recovered, but this is going to be out for a while.

zombie67
02-16-12, 01:29 AM
Let us know what's needed. We'll cover it.

Bok
02-19-12, 05:57 PM
Good news, looks like I've recovered all of the data as far as I can tell. A few tables gave me errors but they are replicated versions anyway so no big deal. Running tests which will take some time but I think it will be back up no later than noon tomorrow. I'll have to put the drives in correctly as they are just loose right now.

I'm going to look into getting 2 external drives (500Gb or would be fine) and running parallel backups to them. And will pick up another SSD at some point just in case. Can't have too many backups. I'll script something to detect problems too.

GalaxyIce
02-19-12, 06:00 PM
Well done Bok. Much appreciated.

Cruncher Pete
02-19-12, 06:32 PM
Good news, looks like I've recovered all of the data as far as I can tell. A few tables gave me errors but they are replicated versions anyway so no big deal. Running tests which will take some time but I think it will be back up no later than noon tomorrow. I'll have to put the drives in correctly as they are just loose right now.

I'm going to look into getting 2 external drives (500Gb or would be fine) and running parallel backups to them. And will pick up another SSD at some point just in case. Can't have too many backups. I'll script something to detect problems too.

What would we do without you BOK.? Folks, how about we chip in and help with the purchase of those new hardware. Where and how do I send my donation to start this off?

Mike029
02-19-12, 07:06 PM
What would we do without you BOK.? Folks, how about we chip in and help with the purchase of those new hardware. Where and how do I send my donation to start this off?

I believe he has a donate link on the FreeDc site. But it's down right now. :(

Fire$torm
02-19-12, 07:39 PM

2 funny.......

Bok
02-19-12, 08:09 PM
They are ? ;)

Fire$torm
02-19-12, 09:52 PM
Yipeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan
02-20-12, 12:41 AM
BOK, I don't know if you really realize how much more pleasureable crunching BOINC is when FreeDC is up! A LOT of the pleasure goes out of it when we have to use Brand X to get our credit fix :)) The watered down version just doesn't cut it when you are used to the REAL thing =D>

Welcome back and THANKS for being back!!!!!

Maxwell
02-20-12, 01:25 AM
BOK, I don't know if you really realize how much more pleasureable crunching BOINC is when FreeDC is up! A LOT of the pleasure goes out of it when we have to use Brand X to get our credit fix :)) The watered down version just doesn't cut it when you are used to the REAL thing =D>

+1

I don't even bother with other sites. They have different projects listed and compute stats at different times, so I don't even consider them accurate. When Free-DC is down (which I know is always for a good reason), it's not worth my time to figure out the stats on another site.

Also, Donate@Home is easily the best reason now to stay with Free-DC...

Mike029
02-20-12, 09:24 AM

+2
I could not have said it better myself.

Cappy
02-21-12, 02:49 PM
well ther down right now ????

i need my GPS cause im lost without Boks site :(

im serious :)

Cappy
02-25-12, 02:28 PM
well i hope things are coming together Bokman......

hate to say it but when it rains it pours eh????

take your time,,, get it right :) you may have to get

me outa the phyc ward when your done lol,,,, going nuts

tryin to read these other stat sites :P

coronicus
02-25-12, 04:10 PM
I know the feeling.... i feel so sick :-& inside everytime i click :-o on boincstats... Wish you all the luck on getting things back up Bok and waiting patiently :(( for your services to be back to normal, oh heck who am i kidding :^o .. I need my fix ~X( Oh my i can't keep up with my 3:-O 3:-O 's i mean they are all over the place. Lost track of how many >-) i was responsible for finding. Much less how bad o-+ is crushing me b-( on stats :-ss HELP ME 8-} im loosing it

well hope it made you smile a little :D wish I could do more to help out..

Bok
02-27-12, 09:07 PM
Quick update, copied from what I just posted over at Free-DC

I tore apart my windows machine today and replaced the components of the database server with it. Was kind of hoping the OS (CentOS 6.2) would come back up without too much effort but alas it did not and I had to re-install it. Same went for the transplant back to my windows server but then I was expecting to have to re-install that one.

I'm typing on the windows box right now, so that went fairly smooth.

The database server is now running a Core i7-2600K with 16Gb Ram (and it will handle 32Gb). And it's running the SSD's on SATAIII fully now which is good. I have most of the packages I need installed, just a few more to go. So tomorrow if all goes well, I'll be pointing the site back here once more and fingers crossed it all works well.

I have no spares of anything now which is a little disconcerting as it's the first time in years http://www.free-dc.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif But I'll deal with that in the coming weeks. I've had about $100 in donations on the last week or so, that will go towards another spare SSD and then the 8Gb Ram chips I think. I did pick up a 1Tb external drive which I have hooked up for secondary backups, maybe get one more of those.

Mike029
02-27-12, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the update Bok. I'm Jonesing here without your stats.

Fire$torm
02-27-12, 10:45 PM
Sorry to hear that you had to cannibalize your system. But at least the server has newer hardware. Wish I could help with the spare parts. Anyhow, thx for all the work you put into Free-DC. Cheers.

spingadus
02-27-12, 11:19 PM
Thanks Bok!

How/where can I donate?

Fire$torm
02-28-12, 08:14 AM
Thanks Bok!

How/where can I donate?

He has a donate link on the the Free-DC forum. Not sure where exactly but its there.

Bok
02-28-12, 08:19 AM
Actually that one didn't work, I took it down last night.

Should be up soon but you can also go to http://www.free-dc.org/paypal.php

Stats seem stable enough, just a couple of tweaks this morning and I'll open it all up. They are definitely running quite a bit faster too.

Fire$torm
02-28-12, 08:48 AM
Actually that one didn't work, I took it down last night.

Should be up soon but you can also go to http://www.free-dc.org/paypal.php

Stats seem stable enough, just a couple of tweaks this morning and I'll open it all up. They are definitely running quite a bit faster too.

Kool.

spingadus
02-28-12, 03:44 PM
The paypal link worked!

Thanks Bok, I get a lot of enjoyment from your stats site and all that you do for us, so it's only fair that I help out.