PDA

View Full Version : Push, push, push! :-)

DrPop
11-20-10, 12:24 PM
Let's go team! Push push push this week! Let's see what we can do in short Order at QMC. :D

Maxwell
11-20-10, 12:35 PM
I thought you were coaching a woman through childbirth and forgot that you need to say these things rather than typing them... ;)

Fogle
11-20-10, 12:41 PM
OK I have 6 cores running on it now, workunits take quite a while over 12 hours on my Thinkpad duo lappy. How hard do we want to push this, I have an older Dell that would take a long time to get any credit, do we want to throw everying we have against it?

Mumps
11-20-10, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry. I must have missed a thread somewhere. What's the thought behind this?

I'm not pushing until I see why! :D

trigggl
11-20-10, 01:37 PM
I thought you were coaching a woman through childbirth and forgot that you need to say these things rather than typing them... ;)

My daughter gave birth yesterday, but it was a C-section.

Crazybob
11-20-10, 01:38 PM
If I remember right, we can take the #1 back fairly easily with a good push.

Bryan
11-20-10, 01:39 PM
I'll move 12 cores over late today and can keep them there until Dec 1.

c303a
11-20-10, 03:57 PM
I pushed 3 GPU's over on a part time basis. Grid is running alongside Folding at home and doing very nicely. I didn't think I could run the 2 projects together but it is working.

Beerdrinker
11-20-10, 04:04 PM
I am doing some WUīs as well....I found out that I actually just needed a measly 9000 to make myself a nice 100K stone...So I figured why not! :cool:

DrPop
11-20-10, 04:20 PM
I AM coaching a birth . . . of the new #1! :D

Seriously, with enough fire power we could take this pretty quickly. I was figuring we should see how much headway we could make in a week. Then, we could decide what it's worth after we calculate our opportunity cost.

DrPop
11-20-10, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the good show, everyone. Well, I was just informed by someone that apparently this has been tried before...and that we'll soon see a massive ramp up from the current #1 team there. So, if that happens, I guess we all know what to expect. I did not know that going into this.
I hope it is an enjoyable time, ramping up on this, though...of course you never know if we'll slip under their radar, but...sounds like we probably won't. Hey, at the very least, we can cause some heart pounding and various stress related maladies in their camp! :D

Fire$torm
11-21-10, 03:07 AM
I'm all for affording the enemy every opportunity to die for his country :P

I did some quick math based on yesterdays numbers and it looks like it will take 80.31132246582175 days to catch up with P3DN. Assuming of course they do not increase production.

Beerdrinker
11-21-10, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the good show, everyone. Well, I was just informed by someone that apparently this has been tried before...and that we'll soon see a massive ramp up from the current #1 team there. So, if that happens, I guess we all know what to expect. I did not know that going into this.
I hope it is an enjoyable time, ramping up on this, though...of course you never know if we'll slip under their radar, but...sounds like we probably won't. Hey, at the very least, we can cause some heart pounding and various stress related maladies in their camp! :D

Letīs see what they do before leaving to soon....I have a feeling that P3DN is not so powerfull as they used to be...(like us...) But they are extremely good at rallying their troops when it comes down to that!!:

DrPop
11-21-10, 05:41 AM
Sounds good, Beer. By the way, does anyone know who Lazy is on our team? He / she is pulling down some serious numbers in QMC per day. If we could convince him / her to switch to PG for those 3 days in December...might really help us out!

Beerdrinker
11-21-10, 05:46 AM
Sounds good, Beer. By the way, does anyone know who Lazy is on our team? He / she is pulling down some serious numbers in QMC per day. If we could convince him / her to switch to PG for those 3 days in December...might really help us out!

Lazy is a long time member of this team....He used to attend the MB - but havenīt seen him in ages. He has some serious power....This last YEAR of so hes is responsible for keeping us close to #1.....ALL BY HIMSELF!!

Actually I think hes has crunched QMC all the time since we were in Battle for #1 at QMC with P3DN...Thatīs at least 2-3 years ago...

Now if you could persuade him to go Aqua or MW on his x32 hosts...That would be neat...

Dorsilfin
11-21-10, 08:56 AM
14 cores engaged.. Ill let it ride for a bit to see where it ends up

Fogle
11-21-10, 09:13 AM
Well I've had my 6 cores running QMC for over 24 hours now and um up to 840 place. There's some serious amount of people crunching this project. I'll see how I move up through the list but I'm only at 800 average work so far.

Maxwell
11-21-10, 11:43 AM
Well I've had my 6 cores running QMC for over 24 hours now and um up to 840 place. There's some serious amount of people crunching this project. I'll see how I move up through the list but I'm only at 800 average work so far.
Yeah - this is one of those "inflate the average team rank across projects" projects. I'm currently going for my 250k there, and that would only put me in 82nd place. You need ~180k to crack the top 100. 1M doesn't even get you in the top 20 for the team. It's really cool to see those numbers on a project that is not SETI...

DrPop
11-21-10, 12:02 PM
Hi Dorsilfin, I don't think I've ever seen you post here before. Congrats and welcome to the club! Thanks for the help with all those cores, too. We're curious what will happen - if the current #1 team there will even notice and start ramping up...or if we get some smooth sailing. :D

Take care and thanks for joining us!

Dorsilfin
11-21-10, 12:11 PM
Hi Dorsilfin, I don't think I've ever seen you post here before. Congrats and welcome to the club! Thanks for the help with all those cores, too. We're curious what will happen - if the current #1 team there will even notice and start ramping up...or if we get some smooth sailing. :D

Take care and thanks for joining us!

Im a long time lurker.. every one in a while I ramp up my computers for a project, but I've been set and forget for my projects of choice as of recently.

joker
11-21-10, 01:44 PM
Yeah - this is one of those "inflate the average team rank across projects" projects. I'm currently going for my 250k there, and that would only put me in 82nd place. You need ~180k to crack the top 100. 1M doesn't even get you in the top 20 for the team. It's really cool to see those numbers on a project that is not SETI...

And I am ranked #15. :cool:

Mike029
11-21-10, 02:44 PM
Im a long time lurker.. every one in a while I ramp up my computers for a project, but I've been set and forget for my projects of choice as of recently.

Welcome to the boards.:)
I think we all start out like that. Glad to see you stop in. I hope to see you for the last leg of the Prime Grid challenge. We are going to need all the help we can get.

DrBob
11-21-10, 03:36 PM
I haven't done any QMC in over a year, I'll put a few cores over there and see how things are. :)

DrPop
11-21-10, 06:41 PM
Thanks, DrBob! Your help is always hugely appreciated.
Much obliged to all. Wonder how much of a gain we can sneak on them before they wake up? ;)

Beerdrinker
11-22-10, 02:48 AM
Thanks, DrBob! Your help is always hugely appreciated.
Much obliged to all. Wonder how much of a gain we can sneak on them before they wake up? ;)

Looks like we gained well over 100.000 yesterday!! :cool:

Mike029
11-22-10, 09:13 PM
I guess they are paying attention as they have pushed up they rac by over 100k in the last 2 days. b-(

Beerdrinker
11-23-10, 12:41 AM
I guess they are paying attention as they have pushed up they rac by over 100k in the last 2 days. b-(

Well. From were I am sitting - it looks like we are still gaining:

http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/teams.php?project=qmc

DrPop
11-23-10, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I think they're beginning to stir. I was recently warned about this, but at least we can say we gave them a bit of a start. They may have increased yesterday and today, but we doubled our output there - so we're still gaining on them for now.
I'll leave the Beerinator on QMC while I'm gone - I know we could get more credits from AQUA, but I wonder how much we can make them sweat? :cool:

Dorsilfin
11-23-10, 09:42 AM
I've noticed my machines running Much hotter on QMC opposed to WCG.. Giving them a couple hour break till lunchtime as the room I have them in, was near 80F.. Once the room cools off a bit ill fire them back up.

Maxwell
11-23-10, 11:24 AM
I've noticed my machines running Much hotter on QMC opposed to WCG.. Giving them a couple hour break till lunchtime as the room I have them in, was near 80F.. Once the room cools off a bit ill fire them back up.
Wouldn't surprise me too much. And if you haven't recently, be sure to blow the dust out... ;)

Fire$torm
11-23-10, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't surprise me too much. And if you haven't recently, be sure to blow the dust out... ;)

Roger. And that should be part of a regular maintenance schedule. Like once a month.

Beerdrinker
11-23-10, 04:56 PM

that one is a known "bug" of QMC...Itīs been like that forever!!

DrPop
11-24-10, 04:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who switched over for this run. We're pressing them hard at least - looks like all of us + Lazy about equal everything they've been able to recruit so far, and then Hankey and Mumps put together are giving us a 100K per day advantage!

Wonder how long we can hold that kind of daily gain? Any guesses?

Mumps
11-24-10, 07:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who switched over for this run. We're pressing them hard at least - looks like all of us + Lazy about equal everything they've been able to recruit so far, and then Hankey and Mumps put together are giving us a 100K per day advantage!

Wonder how long we can hold that kind of daily gain? Any guesses?

Well, in about 10 days, we'll be able to do even better. At least for a while... :rolleyes:

Fire$torm
11-24-10, 08:28 PM
Well, in about 10 days, we'll be able to do even better. At least for a while... :rolleyes:

Cool and thanks for the help.

Beerdrinker
11-25-10, 03:08 AM

Me thinks that Mumps has something up his sleeve..

DrPop
11-25-10, 04:31 PM
I'm sure if Mumps is in on something it'll be worth the wait! :D

I'll be on QMC at least until we start helping TM at WCG, and I wouldn't mind switching back to QMC to finish the deed if Mumps wants that. Just let us know what's on your mind, Sir, and we will follow your lead!

DrPop
11-29-10, 03:06 AM
Alright, since I was one of the main proponants of trying this push on QMC, I suppose it falls to me to state the obvious. Crunch3r was right, of course. P3DN! mounted a commendable defense, and has now managed to pull ahead by a good 45K from our daily score.

Seems like we were able to gain about 350K on them overall, maybe slightly more - not sure if someone was keeping exact count.

I'm open for whatever the team wants to do as far as anything "group" style...I will be helping TM on WCG with my CPU(s) in Dec.

Thanks for a good run on QMC. We actually made some headway and showed we can fight like a team. I do appreciate the effort from everyone. We have some amazing CPU power from some members, I am quite awed when I see how much I was pulling down per day on QMC...and then see someone doing 40K, 65K or 120K per day! My hat is off to you.

Beerdrinker
12-01-10, 02:12 PM
I have a proposal....For us to get back the fun...

How about we just go for #1 at PG???

It could be like olītimes...

We be the little goldfish....And SG is out in front doing 3.3 MILL per day more than us....(+ we have Sic. behind us charging up the ranks) Currently SG. has the lead with 31 Mill (give or take)

Could be fun?

trigggl
12-01-10, 04:30 PM

We be the little goldfish....And SG is out in front doing 3.3 MILL per day more than us....(+ we have Sic. behind us charging up the ranks) Currently SG. has the lead with 31 Mill (give or take)

Could be fun?
We would probably need all available ATI and CUDA to do it. (not to mention x86_64)

Beerdrinker
12-01-10, 04:58 PM
We would probably need all available ATI and CUDA to do it. (not to mention x86_64)

True. But why not...

- We are not going anywhere in Collatz...Barely keeping in top 5
- We are getting canned in DCNET...Currently there are 8 (!) teams doing more than 5 Mill per day....And we are not one of them!
- We are #1 in MW...So far being outproduced by 3 team and MW does not favour CUDA...

Primegrid can:

- crunch on Ati
- Crunch on CUDA
- Crunch on CPU
- Been stable for the last 2-3 years...

Heck..I got 1.4 MILL points overthere done on CPU....A guy with a pair of GTX 580 can do in 1 DAY what took me 12 months!!

Harley
12-01-10, 06:02 PM

Could be fun?

Sounds like fun. If somebody could walk me through getting my Ati's to run it, I'm in.

DrBob
12-01-10, 06:25 PM
Sounds like fun. If somebody could walk me through getting my Ati's to run it, I'm in.Maxwell's thread --> http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?331-Getting-the-PPSieve-WUs-to-run-on-ATI-cards

Harley
12-01-10, 07:10 PM
Maxwell's thread --> http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?331-Getting-the-PPSieve-WUs-to-run-on-ATI-cards

Thanks for the link DrBob and thank you Maxwell for the original thread. I'll give it a try. I guess I should be asking this on the other thread but.... I'm here now. :D Do I enable crossfire or not?

zombie67
12-01-10, 07:13 PM
Maxwell's thread --> http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?331-Getting-the-PPSieve-WUs-to-run-on-ATI-cards

Doesn't work for everyone (like me, for instance).

Edit: Success! Required a deviation from the instructions. Details in that other forum.

Teratoma
12-01-10, 08:06 PM
My understanding was that PPS Sieve could use CUDA natively (FERMIs require an app_info file). Which projects support ATI?

zombie67
12-01-10, 09:07 PM
My understanding was that PPS Sieve could use CUDA natively (FERMIs require an app_info file). Which projects support ATI?

Just the one project: PPS Sieve. ATI currently requires app_info. CUDA doesn't.

trigggl
12-01-10, 09:22 PM
True. But why not...

- We are not going anywhere in Collatz...Barely keeping in top 5
- We are getting canned in DCNET...Currently there are 8 (!) teams doing more than 5 Mill per day....And we are not one of them!
- We are #1 in MW...So far being outproduced by 3 team and MW does not favour CUDA...

Primegrid can:

- crunch on Ati
- Crunch on CUDA
- Crunch on CPU
- Been stable for the last 2-3 years...

Heck..I got 1.4 MILL points overthere done on CPU....A guy with a pair of GTX 580 can do in 1 DAY what took me 12 months!!

I didn't say I was against it, just saying that it's not going to be easy and that you're going to have to convince a lot of people. S.G is lighting it up and won't give it up willingly. About the time we get it, Sic will blow by. Actually, they're on a pace to blow by us in a month.

I guess we'll find out in this next challenge how obtainable it is. Let's see how we do when we've got serious help. If we can't beat S.G in this next challenge, we may need to look elsewhere, somewhere with no GPU option.

Teratoma
12-01-10, 09:40 PM
Just the one project: PPS Sieve. ATI currently requires app_info. CUDA doesn't.

So the app_info examples I have seen reference an _atiamd.exe (or something like that) yet I see no where to d/l that app. I need to doublecheck my ATI boxes but am pretty sure they do not have that exe. I didn't think that specifying an exe in an app_info results in that app being downloaded, you need to have it already, right? The Nvidia box I am in front of doesn't have a cuda exe either. It's a laptop with a Quadro FX 880M...will PPS Sieve run on this card? Maybe I have been loooking in the wrong places, but the details on PG GPU crunching seem to be scarce.

Teratoma
12-01-10, 09:43 PM
So I guess I should have been looking here instead of PG (silly me).....

http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?331-Getting-the-PPSieve-WUs-to-run-on-ATI-cards

Thank you Max for that excellent post...eventhough I completely missed it.

Teratoma
12-01-10, 09:48 PM
As soon as I hit 10M in Aqua, I will put those x64 CPUs back on PG. One of the servers that I have temporary use of is one of them, however, I am not sure how much longer I will have use of it and the other 2 (32bit). :(

DrPop
12-02-10, 10:56 AM
With all due respect, I think the PG thing is cool, but I saw in another thread where Zombie showed PG only paid 59% of what DNETC pays for a 58xx series AMD card. With our RAC in sorry shape compared to SG, SIC, and LAF, I can't see where we can afford to drop either DNETC or MW.

Harley
12-02-10, 11:56 AM
With all due respect, I think the PG thing is cool, but I saw in another thread wher Zombie showed PG only paid 59% of what DNETC pays for a 58xx series AMD card. With our RAC in sorry shape compared to SG, SIC, and LAF, I can't see where we can afford to drop either DNETC or MW.

I gave PG a try last night. It looks like only 1 of 4 gpu's is returning valid tasks (gpu 0). The other 3 are running about 200s longer and coming back invalid. Oh well... I'm back on MW for now.

At least I'm getting decent credit on MW.

Teratoma
12-02-10, 04:10 PM
Ok, got my 10M in Aqua so my 64 bit CPUs are on PG plus 2 Nvidia GPUs.

Maybe we should have a thread for this push in PG in the PG forum?

DrPop
12-02-10, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's probably best on the new push. So are we backing off QMC? I'm fully in for the WCG race for TM over the next couple weeks, but after that I'm open.

Fire$torm
12-02-10, 06:53 PM
Yeah, that's probably best on the new push. So are we backing off QMC? I'm fully in for the WCG race for TM over the next couple weeks, but after that I'm open.
I do not think we can outproduce P3DN unless we can recruit more people to the cause. But since your are the Captain, you lead and I'll follow :)

DrPop
12-02-10, 07:41 PM
Awww...shucks! I'm just a team player. But thanks for the kudos! :cool: I'm up for what everyone wants to do after the WCG Race. We've got a couple weeks to think about it and get it nailed down. Anything that is fun, pays decent and helps us on our way back to #1 BOINC status is good for me.

I agree we're not going to take QMC without a big fight. And rightly so. Even if we do it, will it really help? I'm thinking each day I put up about 4K there I could have had 4 or 5 times that on AQUA. Where do those thoughts come from? Sorry, I just can't help it! :D

Well, let me know what everyone wants to do for CPU stuff...I'm on WCG helping TM now until we switch to PG for the challenge.

Mumps
12-02-10, 10:20 PM
I do not think we can outproduce P3DN unless we can recruit more people to the cause. But since your are the Captain, you lead and I'll follow :)

I am in and will continue adding what resource I can until I hit my own personal milestone. We're pretty close to what P3DN is producing, and have out produced them (if only by a little) so far today. I'm not yet ready to throw in any towel here.

Give me another 10 days though, and then I probably will. :)

My next burst of additions was delayed until later next week. So if we're still holding it here, I know where they'll run for at least a little bit.

DrPop
12-03-10, 02:06 AM
Ok, sounds good Mumps. I'm helping TM at WCG right now, but if you want me or anyone to switch back to QMC after we finish WCG, I'll be there with you!

Maxwell
12-03-10, 02:16 AM
I'm still pushing QMC, and will be for about 3.5 more days until I reach my 250k MM. Then I'm moving on. Probably to CAS.

Mumps
12-07-10, 09:55 PM
Oops. What have I done now??? :cool:

denim
03-22-11, 08:55 AM
I think if we put some heat on this, we can take over first soon.

Fire$torm
03-22-11, 02:25 PM
I think if we put some heat on this, we can take over first soon.

Give me a few days to catch up on AndrOINC and I'll up my Phenom on it.

GregK
03-22-11, 03:55 PM
is the push still going? was several months between posts above.

Fogle
03-22-11, 06:23 PM
Were in need of a little more than 4 million stones, and with the difference in RAC it may take quite a while to get #1. I put 2 cores on it however, and I'll keep an eye on it. We don't want to lose out on overall points though. :(

GregK
03-22-11, 07:56 PM
i have 4 cores on it for who knows how long. might get my million then back to pg.

Fogle
01-08-12, 09:37 AM
Under the RAC list were currently in 5th place, and 2nd in total points. Have the project guru's discussed if were going for individual projects after this challange or are we focusing on most points? :confused: :cool:

denim
01-09-12, 10:37 AM
What ever the team wants, I have not been on QMC in a good while now.

Fire$torm
01-09-12, 04:07 PM
Fogle you should post your question in the current Team Raid thread. The SIMAP Scramble has temporarily taken focus away from the next Raid but will get back on track soon and your posting would help to spur it along.