PDA

View Full Version : Bash Bro.'s Logo & Call to Help TM at WCG Christmas Race Dec. 1st - 24th

DrPop
11-20-10, 10:15 PM
1. Now that SETI.USA logo is done, I'd like some inspiration for the Bash Bro.'s logo. Any fun idea is fair game. So far I've thought of a couple things like: SETI.USA astronaut with a baseball bat smashing a computer; SETI.USA astronaut and alien crossing baseball bats on the moon; a "SETI.USAville Slugger" smashing a computer, etc. I would really like your input on this, and also on the size we want it for our sigs.

2. I'm pretty sure my next topic is going to be controversial at best, so I'm forewarning you with that.
After much reflection, I feel that we owe one to Team Musketeers (TM) for the way they really pulled that last PG Challenge out for us. I know I am not alone in feeling this way. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there were some names there crunching for us, that in months gone by, would not have cared to. That means something to me. I hope it means something to you. Our score would have been a lot closer to S.G.'s than Shanky's if we were on our own there. We really need to have one last GREAT show at PG in December. My proposal follows, and I'd like to open this up for FRIENDLY discussion. Naturally, all sides of the coin are welcome, but please try to keep it civil on all levels. Thanks.

Proposal:
Whereas: TM has joined the WCG Christmas race 2010 that runs from Dec. 1st to Dec. 24th, and SETI.USA has not.
Whereas: We, Team SETI.USA publicly acknowledge our gratitude for help received from TM in the past, as well as future help that TM has already proffered for the PG Winter Solstice Challenge, in order that we, SETI.USA may gain the 2010 Crown...

Let it therefore be known by these presents that a clan of SETI.USA members, so inclined, will make a show of force with what CPU power we can muster to assist our friends, TM, as a gift in the spirit of Christmas at WCG between the dates of Dec. 1st - Dec. 24th; with the understood exception of switching en masse to project PG on Dec. 18th - Dec. 21st. for the Winter Solstice Challenge.

In light of our team history, let it be understood that this exchange of CPU power is temporary; that no one involved in this gesture of goodwill is "switching" teams or involved in any other conspiratorial attempt against SETI.USA; and lastly, that GPU power for RAC purposes will stay completely with our Mother Team, SETI.USA during this time.
[END Proposal]

There was also an idea presented to me, that would prevent any disparaging events from happening after this, an idea that I rather like.
That is, we could all participate in an anonymous way. No one would ever know how much or how little any member gave to this cause. Not even our friends at TM will know who it was - they will just see a big pile of credits as a nice gift from us. :cool:

To do this, I have setup an account whereby our CPU power can be brought together as once voice for SETI.USA for this event.
The account name and password are posted in the Bash Bro.'s group forum, along with the email (Gmail) address and password it is linked to. Everything is out in the open on this account, but the computers are hidden for anonymity. It is setup on project WCG only, and is listed as a member of Team Musketeers.
If you are not a Bash Bro.'s member, and would like to help out, please consider joining, or PM me or another Bash Bro. for the anonymous account info.

I hope you consider attaching your computer(s) to this account beginning Dec. 1st. PLEASE remember to switch over to PG by Dec. 18th, 23:38 UTC for the Winter Solstice Challenge! We will need everyone there. :D

joker
11-20-10, 10:41 PM
Already told TM and DD that I would help. Committed now. :)

Maxwell
11-21-10, 02:29 AM
DrPop, I think this is a no-brainer. We should definitely help out TM.

1. They have supported us more than most of us know.
2. We aren't going to be pushing WCG any time soon.
3. Our team is ranked 60th or so on WCG - nothing to defend.
4. TM wants to make a good showing.
5. It's a great project in terms of science.
6. SETI.USA isn't entering the race...

If you're regularly crunching it, consider switching to TM for Dec (save for the PG challenge) as a small "thank you" to them. If you're looking for a milestone on WCG, go for it in Dec, perhaps under TM. If you want to support them but don't want to move your account, consider the "anonymous account" option. I will be moving my account there in Dec, as I want to continue on with my WCG MM chasing as well as supporting TM.

Also (and I won't do this without team support), I would like to Tweet this plan to hopefully get an even bigger showing...

joker
11-21-10, 02:55 AM
You have convinced me Max, I should not help.... ;)

Beerdrinker
11-21-10, 03:18 AM
You have convinced me Max, I should not help.... ;)

Maybe you shoulden´t - but you know you want to!! :cool:

Mike029
11-21-10, 04:20 AM
I'm all in for TM for this challenge. If you can spare a few cores to help out our old friends it will be appreciated. Time to pony up family.

DrPop
11-21-10, 05:38 AM
Alright, great. That's more of a positive response than I was even hoping for. In this case we can totally drop the anonymous account idea if everyone wants to just crunch under their own name. Either way, just let me know before hand, please! I mean, if I was the only one that attached to that account, it would look pretty weak, I'm afraid. :D

So, on the other, lighter topic: did anyone like any of my ideas for the Bash Bro.'s logo, or were there some good thoughts on this out there?

Beerdrinker
11-21-10, 05:49 AM
Since I do not have an account for WCG - I am all for the joint one....But those who have one, must make that desicion for themselves...

thepossum1
11-21-10, 08:16 AM
Very cool idea :) Since I am only running one machine right now, I am debating whether to do this--I DO have a WCG account. Actually, why not, my piddly little PG numbers won't be missed for that short a time period :P

Now, to just search the memory banks and remember how to do it hahaahaha

EDIT: If I remember correctly, WCG WU's take a long time (for me anyway) I've set PG for no new ( I can't run QM on this POS) and hope to get some WCG started. Should I disable network access and hold off reporting till I switch over to TM for the challenge? OR am I asking for problems for myself---remember who this is asking :P lol

2nd EDIT: oh sheesh--went poking around over at WCG and now I remember how badly I hated their site---I am clueless how to navigate around over there---just how the heck do I join TM when the time comes???? Couldn't find them--ta da--DID find the forum post about the race lol and updated my profile time zone. Now I'm lost :P

DrPop
11-21-10, 11:51 AM
Hi Possum,
Well, after reading your post, I got to thinking. No reason for you or anyone else to go through all that trouble...that's why I setup this anonymous account. So, I'm going to just post it publicly, and hopefully everyone will pile on to this thing, and we'll make a big difference for them!

Simply open your BOINC program, click Tools, then Attach... and then select WCG. Then select existing user, and this is all you have to put in; you can copy and paste! :cool:

Login Name: SETI.USA BashBros return favor
Password: bashbros4boinc

This account is only signed up at project WCG, and is listed as a member of Team Musketeers. Computers are hidden. (We can show them if everyone wants to.)

Thank you for your consideration.

Maxwell
11-21-10, 11:53 AM
Log in. On the left side, there is a menu that says "my team". Click that, then click the quit team button. Then you'll get a "find a team" link on the left-hand menu right under "my team". Search "Musketeers" and only one team should come up. Click on the team (make sure Dr. Dan is the founder), and then join the team.

Fire$torm
11-21-10, 11:55 AM
2nd EDIT: oh sheesh--went poking around over at WCG and now I remember how badly I hated their site---I am clueless how to navigate around over there---just how the heck do I join TM when the time comes???? Couldn't find them--ta da--DID find the forum post about the race lol and updated my profile time zone. Now I'm lost :P

Yeah Possum,
I feel your pain. Just leave it to a major corp. to completely FUBAR a Boinc Project user site.
Anywho instructions for joining/changing a team on WCG

1) After logging in click the "My Grid" link at the top of the page, right of center.

2) On the "My Grid" page in the upper left hand column, click on the "My Team" link and the link will display two more links directly underneath it. They are "Find a Team" and "Create a New Team".

3) If you have never joined a team on WCG, clicking the "My Team" link will take you to the "Find a Team" page. There you can search for a team by name, description, type or country of origin. After you run the search, scroll through the results and click on the team you wish to join. On the team page click the "Join This Team" button in the center column of the page.

4) If you previously had joined a team on WCG, clicking the "My Team" link will take you to your WCG team page. To change teams, click on the "Quit This Team" button. Then click the "Find a Team" link in the left column of the page.

Crazybob
11-21-10, 05:06 PM
This sounds like fun. Have to look around to see what I can throw at it.:)

DrPop
11-21-10, 06:46 PM
Alright, CB! Thanks for joining in. The more the merrier - just everyone keep their GPUs pointed right here, please! :D

It'll be the best Christmas present we can give those boys. :cool: Let's try to double their "usual" position in the Christmas Race!

Maxwell
11-21-10, 07:40 PM
So, because of how the challenge is scored, the more TM can ramp up, the better for them. Basically, they compare return rate before the challenge, and during the challenge. The bigger the ramp-up, the better the score. So, none of us switch teams until the challenge starts... It's actually better to be a day late than a day early for this one.

nmgraywiz
11-21-10, 07:46 PM
Greetings Folks.. Been a part of Seti.usa for some time now.. although not very active in the forums... I was adding a new computer to my boinc assets, and since I hadn't tasked it with anything I've set it up specificity over the anonymous account.. I'm in.. <: -) have fun everyone..

L8

The Gray Wizard
(aka: Matt)

DrPop
11-21-10, 08:18 PM
My Good Wizard, thank you for joining us! Sweet. Always a use for some good magic around! :D

Sounds great on the anonymous account - well, that will be at least 3 of us on it, and hopefully a lot more will jump on board.

Appreciate the help, and please feel free to get into posting here. Also, please consider joining us at PG on Dec. 18th. We just need one more good showing there to take #1 for the year, and it will take all the help we can get.
Thanks!

Mike029
11-21-10, 08:49 PM
Greetings Folks.. Been a part of Seti.usa for some time now.. although not very active in the forums... I was adding a new computer to my boinc assets, and since I hadn't tasked it with anything I've set it up specificity over the anonymous account.. I'm in.. <: -) have fun everyone..

L8

The Gray Wizard
(aka: Matt)

Thanks for your help and yes we also look forward to the PrimGrid challenge and hope you'll join us there. Welcome to the boards.

nmgraywiz
11-21-10, 09:04 PM
Well thanks for the welcome.. <: -) didn't expect a reply so quickly hehehe.. it's good to see an active group.. Yeah, I'll do my best to stay abreast of the direction you all are going and try to keep up.. <: -) I've got several computers crunchin, not really doing it for any awards or anything.. mostly just crunching on the projects that I'm interested in like Seti, Einstein etc.. but I'll be happy to join you all where ever I'm needed.. Look forward to crunchin along with you all as time goes on.. <: -)

L8

The Gray Wizard

My Good Wizard, thank you for joining us! Sweet. Always a use for some good magic around! :D

Sounds great on the anonymous account - well, that will be at least 3 of us on it, and hopefully a lot more will jump on board.

Appreciate the help, and please feel free to get into posting here. Also, please consider joining us at PG on Dec. 18th. We just need one more good showing there to take #1 for the year, and it will take all the help we can get.
Thanks!

DrPop
11-21-10, 09:51 PM
Nice, glad you're climbing aboard the SETI.USA Rocket! :D

Alright y'all...rough draft of a "concept" for the Bash Bro's logo in my sig. Let me know what you think. I know the ball is huge in proportion, but I was trying to make it big enough so "BOINC" was legible on it.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-22-10, 12:19 AM
Because it's late, and I just got home from work, I don't really feel like looking up the specifics, I'll just say that I will get my scripts setup for my rigs to help out TM on the WCG challenge :D

Considering my hardware, probably won't do a whole lot of good, but I will crunch with ever flop i got available!

joker
11-22-10, 01:13 AM
Every little bit counts!

trigggl
11-22-10, 06:28 AM
For some reason I can't connect one of my boxes.

Mon 22 Nov 2010 05:08:29 AM CST World Community Grid Scheduler request failed: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates

It's on the same network as my other boxes and as far as I know, I have all the proper programs and files for curl and ssl.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]
11-22-10, 08:00 AM
I can't connect any of my rigs using the anony account.. Just give an error and says "see messages for details". But the only message fropm WCG is "downloading config file"

thepossum1
11-22-10, 08:43 AM
Smooches and thanks to Maxwell & Fire$torm :) ok, I think I get it now :)

DrPop--love the anon acct. info, but if the guys are having trouble with it,hahahahahah well, you know :P Can't get too complicated or my brain will lock up lol VERY cool now that you mentioned Dr. Dan is Team Muskateer. Wondered where he was when I got back.

Welcome Gray Wizard!!!! Great to have you here on the boards :) oh, and don't mind having a little more firepower either :)

EDIT--woot--the WU's I've got d/l now are only saying 5 hours a piece!!!! I remember the last time I ran WCG it seemed like 24+ each. hahaha been quite awhile

shiva
11-22-10, 10:18 AM
Look what is going on here, sounds like you all are gearing up for a little raid on us. I have been reading about it on our site and it was sounding good over there so I thought I would see what was happening here. You all know we will appreciate all the help, but know also that TM for the most part will be pulling off to help out for your PG race. We want to see you win that race so we will be in for that.

Mike029
11-22-10, 05:37 PM
Nice Avatar Shiva! If all goes well, TM will make a huge statement on WCG. :ar!

Sarge104
11-22-10, 08:54 PM
Lappy is warming up on the Annon account...will pull over the tower when the end of the month comes around now that I know it is going to be a steady cranker.

Mike029
11-22-10, 09:08 PM
Remember guy and gals, don't start crunching WCG wu's till Dec. 1st. I believe this challenge is about how much you UP your production from your baseline. So whatever the rac is now let it stay low and on Dec. 1st we all pile on. :p

DrPop
11-22-10, 09:19 PM
Funny you just mentioned that! ;) I just PMed Maxwell to see if he wanted to switch the anonymous account over to SETI.USA until the day of the race. Then that will maximize the RAMP UP effect that TM needs to win / place high.

It'll have to be someone else's call, though, because I'm leaving on a jet plane real soon...:cool:

Maxwell
11-22-10, 11:37 PM
Funny you just mentioned that! ;) I just PMed Maxwell to see if he wanted to switch the anonymous account over to SETI.USA until the day of the race. Then that will maximize the RAMP UP effect that TM needs to win / place high.

It'll have to be someone else's call, though, because I'm leaving on a jet plane real soon...:cool:
Well, I made the call. I moved the team back to SETI.USA for now, and will switch it back to TM when the challenge starts...

thepossum1
11-23-10, 09:21 AM
hmm, ok I had stopped PG and see that I have a WCG WU ready to report, but it's not due till 12/2. So my question is--since I have to manually report, should I just crunch them, let them sit & report after I head over to TM? OR add some more PG to the mix till it's time? Remember, I'm rusty, dusty & crusty :P

Isn't WCG one of the projects that let's your credits follow you?

Maxwell
11-23-10, 11:22 AM
hmm, ok I had stopped PG and see that I have a WCG WU ready to report, but it's not due till 12/2. So my question is--since I have to manually report, should I just crunch them, let them sit & report after I head over to TM? OR add some more PG to the mix till it's time? Remember, I'm rusty, dusty & crusty :P

Isn't WCG one of the projects that let's your credits follow you?
I don't believe the credits follow on WCG. And I would hold off reporting until Dec. 1; PG in the mean time sounds good...

joker
11-23-10, 08:30 PM
Well, I made the call.

Good call.

thepossum1
11-24-10, 10:02 AM
I don't believe the credits follow on WCG. And I would hold off reporting until Dec. 1; PG in the mean time sounds good...

I thought, therefore I was wrong---drat, the WCG reported :( OK added PG back in--it has a bigger share, so that should make it alright

Beerdrinker
12-01-10, 02:07 PM
OK. I just turned my computer in the direction of TM.

Teratoma
12-01-10, 02:33 PM
Any suggestions on which sub project to run for this challenge? Been a while since I have run WCG and I do not recall which pay better/grant faster.

Crazybob
12-01-10, 03:05 PM
Can someone PM me with the account info?:((

Sarge104
12-01-10, 05:17 PM
Can someone PM me with the account info?:((

Sent, the information is on the first page of this topic for those that wish to join.

Mike029
12-01-10, 10:32 PM
Any suggestions on which sub project to run for this challenge? Been a while since I have run WCG and I do not recall which pay better/grant faster.

Taken from The Musketeers website as post by Matt. I believe the all suck the same. The idea is crunch whatever for the first week and then drop the Folding one due to it's high quorum of 15. Hope this helps.

Projects system requirements
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=minimumreq

Research Project Memory Available Disk Space Operating Systems

Computing for Clean Water 400 MB 100 MB Windows1, Mac, Linux3
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 1,024 MB 2,048 MB Linux3,4
Discovering Dengue Drugs - Phase 2 1,024 MB 250 MB Windows1, Mac, Linux3
Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2 64 MB 50 MB Windows1, Mac2, Linux3
Influenza Antiviral Drug Search 250 MB 100 MB Windows1, Mac, Linux3
Help Fight Childhood Cancer 250 MB 100 MB Windows1, Mac, Linux3
Help Conquer Cancer 250 MB 50 MB Windows1, Mac, Linux3
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 250 MB 100 MB Windows1, Mac2, Linux3
FightAIDS@Home 250 MB 100 MB Windows1, Mac, Linux3

Project quorums

Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 15
Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2 2
clean water 2
clean energy 2
Help Conquer Cancer 2
FightAIDS@Home 2
Help Fight Childhood Cancer 1

trigggl
12-02-10, 12:50 AM
I'm not saying this is an indication of what's faster, but I went to wuprop and checked which ones were listed for Ram for 64 bit Linux and chose those. I don't know if that means they are 64 bit apps or not, but I'm hoping.

Also, I chose both cancer projects whether they're faster or not.

zombie67
12-02-10, 12:53 AM
I am pretty sure that WCG does not have any apps that take advantage of 64 bit.

trigggl
12-02-10, 01:03 AM
I am pretty sure that WCG does not have any apps that take advantage of 64 bit.

So am I, but just in case...

Bryan
12-08-10, 11:51 PM
Just stay away from Human Proteome or whatever it is called. It has a quorum of 15 so no credit until you have 14 wingmen complete it!

Thanks for the help everyone :cool: