PDA

View Full Version : Hello all and my first question

EmSti
03-08-12, 07:49 PM
Hello everyone, been with the team for a little bit now. Focusing mainly on MilkyWay with some Seti and Poem. So far, this has been fun and I have sent a lot of time tuning my Windows 7 box to run 24x7 and pointed my Linux box to boinc to prep for the MilkyWay challenge which started today.

Which brings me to my question. I can see here http://boincstats.com/bam/challenges.php?action=details&chid=194 that we are participating in the Milkway@Home Challenge, but I have seen no posting on Seti.USA site about it. Its not even on the front page. Is there a place in the forum that I am missing? Do others know its occurring?

Currently I have both of my computers focused on MilkWay for the duration of the challenge. Unfortunately, my HD6850 card doesn't support double precision so the Linux box can only offer its CPU. I was so tempemted to rush order a 7970 or 7950, but I talked my self out of it (trying to go faster and do more can be so addictive).

Fire$torm
03-09-12, 12:40 AM
Hello everyone, been with the team for a little bit now. Focusing mainly on MilkyWay with some Seti and Poem. So far, this has been fun and I have sent a lot of time tuning my Windows 7 box to run 24x7 and pointed my Linux box to boinc to prep for the MilkyWay challenge which started today.

Which brings me to my question. I can see here http://boincstats.com/bam/challenges.php?action=details&chid=194 that we are participating in the Milkway@Home Challenge, but I have seen no posting on Seti.USA site about it. Its not even on the front page. Is there a place in the forum that I am missing? Do others know its occurring?

Currently I have both of my computers focused on MilkWay for the duration of the challenge. Unfortunately, my HD6850 card doesn't support double precision so the Linux box can only offer its CPU. I was so tempemted to rush order a 7970 or 7950, but I talked my self out of it (trying to go faster and do more can be so addictive).

There is a little more to see now that you have full access. The MW challenge is not high on a lot of the members lists, at least those that visit the forum. We do have a lot of "Set and forget" members who crunch MW just like SETI@Home so the team will have a decent showing in the challenge. Please feel free to continue in the challenge if you wish. Team SETI.USA does not mandate participation on any BOINC project although we do like to champion certain projects. The main thing is to have fun on the forum and support whatever projects you feel worthy of your time and hardware.

Peace,
F$

EmSti
03-09-12, 01:54 AM
Cool. I don't think of a challenge as a huge deal, but a fun thing to try. I just noticed that there were postings/news for other challenges and was curious if I was missing something, since someone had enrolled the team. I wouldn't think any would be mando, that would be too much like work and take all of the geek fun out of it.

spingadus
03-09-12, 02:09 AM
Welcome to the boards! I've put my 2 cards on the MW challenge as well.

Mike029
03-09-12, 09:04 AM

I know what you mean about wanting to do more. I've made a bunch of upgrades this past year. :o

We do have a little chatting going on here about the Milk challenge.
http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?3122-Challenges-for-March

We are doing ok in the Milk challenge but find ourselves to be a bit gpu challenged right now. :-& We are working on it. :D

Glad you have joined us and look forward to having fun with you in the challenges and competitions to come. Any questions just ask.
Mike029.

coronicus
03-09-12, 02:34 PM
Hiya and im really glad your in the MW challenge as i am all in... We did hijack a thread which turned into the MW challenge so come join us.

Crazybob
03-09-12, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the team and boards. I'm not on the challenge since my ATI cards are getting up there in years and would not make much of a showing. Would also like to get some of the newer cards, but those price tags scare me.:)

artemis8
03-12-12, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the board and glad to have you participating in the MW challenge. I am too, though I don't have a GPU to use with it, just contributing cpu but it's something :)