PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

BrettDerrick
03-15-12, 01:22 PM
Howdy folks!

My name is Brett and I have been waiting for quite some time to get SETI up-and-running on my computer. I heard about it on the tele the other night and got to it straightaway. I already have several projects running and when I get the time I can't wait to pop in and get to know all of you awesome people!!!

A little about me if I may? I'm a fisherman out of Dutch Harbor, Alaska, and I currently live in the Seattle area (please forgive me for not having attended my profile just yet). I am currently studying Offensive Security and vulnerability testing on networks - loving it too by-the-way.

I look forward to helping in any way that I can and also look forward to getting to know any and all of you!

Have a lovely day folks!

Sincerely,

Brett

Crazybob
03-15-12, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the team! Dutch Harbor? Was just watching a WWII special the other day about some of the battles up there and the high price both sides paid to occupy those islands. My son and I always watch the Deadliest Catch from up there and he wants to come up and get a job as a welder, but I don't think he could hack the weather.:) He'll get a kick out of the fact that there's someone on our team from up there. Let us know if you have any questions. I'm sure we can help you out. Maybe you could even use the BOINC program to test the systems there while racking up points for yourself and the team?:cool:

Beerdrinker
03-15-12, 02:14 PM
WELCOME to the team!!

spingadus
03-15-12, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the team!

BrettDerrick
03-15-12, 03:15 PM
Wonderful to meet you CrazyBob!

Yeh, the weather in Dutch can be quite difficult but I do know several welders up there and I think your son would love it. They get paid very well, they're a group of super cool guys, and they get real busy about every ten days or so when the boats come in for off-load. They're not usually in the weather that much but they do have to work fast on a variety of projects as the boats need to get back out to fish ASAP (anything from Knuckle cranes, bulk heads, and plenty of modifications on the ship so the electricians can get wires from one place to the other).

Do please let me know if you and your son need some phone numbers and / or some names and I will be more than happy to hook you guys up, at least to answer any questions that your son may have. Super cool man!

I'm actually home right now due to an injury and won't be back up there until my five-six weeks of healing my surgeon requested. It's okay though because I have a bit of IT work to do in California and I have plenty of time for SETI - woo hoo!

Anyway my new friend, thanks a bunch for the super awesome welcome and I am indeed proud to be part of the team. If anything pops up regarding security I'll be sure to let you folks know. So far, all of the transmissions from my computer on these projects looks to be very much in order and secure (via Wireshark, etc.)

Have a great day man and tell your son I said hello!

Sincerely,

Brett

c303a
03-15-12, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the team. I think we have a great group here and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to yell. There is always someone willing to give advice. (Most of it is good) So join us and have fun and don't be a stranger on the board.

artemis8
03-15-12, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the team, glad you got around to finally getting all setup. It's a great, easy way to help, having our computers do the work. I love Seattle, I haven't visited in a few years and it's such a cool city. Feel free to ask any questions you have, this is a great group of people.

coronicus
03-15-12, 06:38 PM
Welcome aboard, Always excited to meet new folks.. Look around and dont hesitate to ask questions.

Fire$torm
03-15-12, 07:15 PM
Hello there and welcome to Team SETI.USA. **==

Mike029
03-16-12, 11:47 AM
Welcome to the team.. Take a look around.. What projects interest you?

BrettDerrick
03-17-12, 02:34 PM
Well folks, I've got to hand it to you all for making me feel quite at home and yes my new friends, this group rocks!

I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful welcome's and it is an honour to be part of such an awesome group... If there is anything I can do for any of you, do please ask. I am at your service.

Have a wonderful weekend folks!

Brett