PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Greetings from AstroDad

Astrodad
03-18-12, 01:22 PM
Hello fellow Crunchers,
I'm Astrodad a retired military space and intel officer who operated airplanes and space vehicles. These days my nightly activities include astronomy (optical, broadband and narrowband) from my suburban home or from the observatory I built in Oklahoma. I have worked with SETI's Sr. Astronomer Seth S. for years and we stay in touch. One of the neatest things that ever happened was that I called him when he was at Hat Creek giving a tour and I was running my club's 16-inch scope in the observatory, watching a Jovian moon make a triple point contact....crazy.

One of my interestes here is to support anyone who has a point in space that they are interested in. I can go to mag 21 with my equipment. check out my website and the images.

www.astrodad.com

Bok
03-18-12, 02:09 PM
Sweet setup there. I've got an 8" Reflector though I must admit I haven't even used it this year at all. Always intended to put a motor on it and do some photography, but life/kids took over..

Fire$torm
03-18-12, 03:44 PM
Hello there and welcome. And btw, awesome setup. When I was a kid I used to peruse my Edmond Scientific catalog. Daydreaming of building my own 12" reflector telescope. But it never happened... :( Anyhoot, thanks for joining the group. Enjoy.

F$

spingadus
03-18-12, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the team!

Mike029
03-18-12, 07:50 PM
Wow, nice pics. Welcome to the team..

TEX
03-18-12, 10:01 PM
Oh what a small world indeed.;))
Just wanted to say HI !
To a fellow TAS member

Regards to You!
Jim H.

Hello fellow Crunchers,
I'm Astrodad a retired military space and intel officer who operated airplanes and space vehicles. These days my nightly activities include astronomy (optical, broadband and narrowband) from my suburban home or from the observatory I built in Oklahoma. I have worked with SETI's Sr. Astronomer Seth S. for years and we stay in touch. One of the neatest things that ever happened was that I called him when he was at Hat Creek giving a tour and I was running my club's 16-inch scope in the observatory, watching a Jovian moon make a triple point contact....crazy.

One of my interestes here is to support anyone who has a point in space that they are interested in. I can go to mag 21 with my equipment. check out my website and the images.

www.astrodad.com

artemis8
03-18-12, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the team and the boards. We have a telescope we should use more, our biggest excuse is that the stand alone is 50 lbs and whenever there is any rain it sinks in our yard pretty bad. Glad to have you here.

coronicus
03-19-12, 02:48 AM
Wow that is just to cool, thank you so much for sharing. Never was able to afford one of those fancy telescopes but now i get to enjoy the pics through your site. Lots of neat stuff there and now i have your site on my favorite list. Welcome to the team

Astrodad
03-19-12, 08:08 AM
Excellent as Bill and Ted would say (imagine that accent). Soo...it appears this is an active place. This too is a good setup for success. Kinda tough to interaction without the "tion" part of interacting. (Interaction). Ok, so a "new guy" question. How do I set up an Avatar. I've got several images that are thumbnail size on my website so it's easy to code them into this forum?

Question does anyone do any data mining (vis a vis data analytics) on any of the data here....the size and properties are bang-o, slap daggit ripe for data mining.

cheers,
max

Fire$torm
03-19-12, 02:56 PM
Excellent as Bill and Ted would say (imagine that accent). Soo...it appears this is an active place. This too is a good setup for success. Kinda tough to interaction without the "tion" part of interacting. (Interaction). Ok, so a "new guy" question. How do I set up an Avatar. I've got several images that are thumbnail size on my website so it's easy to code them into this forum?

Question does anyone do any data mining (vis a vis data analytics) on any of the data here....the size and properties are bang-o, slap daggit ripe for data mining.

cheers,
max

To edit your avatar just click on the settings link at the top right hand side of any forum page, On the settings page in the left had column look for edit avatar in the My Settings section.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 125 by 125 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

As to the data mining, other than the accepted search bots, nope, no data mining.

Crazybob
03-20-12, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the team! 16 inch scope? Drrrrroooooooooolllllllllll!!!!!! I have a small 4.5, but the light pollution by me is a killer. Look forward to porusing your pictures.

Crazybob's Son
03-21-12, 11:26 AM
Welcome to the team! Pretty sweet setup you have there.

Make sure to attach to FreeHAL and WuProp as they are not cpu intensive and basically free credits.