PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

RonP
03-21-12, 11:40 PM
Hoddy Y'all from Texas
:cool:
I'm a retired 70+ and this is my first message board membership. I'm very eager to get involved with this group. Saw a program on discovery a few days ago and both my wife and I think this SETI thing is interesting.

I loaded the BOINC and selected 3 projects SETI@Home, LHC@Home,Milkyway@Home and Cosmology@Home. I'm not to sure BOINC is setup properly. When the screensaver starts it cycles thru the projects and then it says that the tasks have been halted because the processor is overloaded. I have a DELL INSPIRON 2200 with 1 Gb mem and approx 7 Gb avail on the hard drive. It shows that each of the projects has some percentage completed. Maybe I'm to impatient.

Thanks
RonP
RonP@texski.net

Fire$torm
03-21-12, 11:44 PM
Hello there and welcome to our little corner of the universe.

Maxwell
03-22-12, 01:58 AM
Hi Ron! As counter-intuitive as this sounds, disable the screensaver. It uses up resources your computer could use to be crunching data. Also, you might want to back off to one or two projects - when they switch between projects, they leave the remnants of the other one in memory, which eats up your RAM, probably causing that message.

Hope this helps! And welcome!:-bd

spingadus
03-22-12, 02:07 AM
Hi Ron, welcome to the team.

Each project uses up a different amount of resources. Some require more than others. I would try out 1 project at a time to see how stable they run and then try others.

coronicus
03-22-12, 05:05 AM
Welcome, RonP. We are more then happy to have you aboard. Sounds like you may be taking on to many projects at once for your computer mainly on the memory side of things so drop down to 2 and see how that goes. Oh yeah patience was something i had learn when i first joined =)) but don't be a stranger and ask away we are more then willing to lend a helping hand.. Welcome to the team.

Mike029
03-22-12, 08:52 AM
Glad to have you and your wife on board. Take your time, look around lots of info here. Try the above suggestions, that should correct the problem your running into. If not, let us know.

Crazybob's Son
03-22-12, 11:44 AM
Glad to have you and your wife on board. Take your time, look around lots of info here. Try the above suggestions, that should correct the problem your running into. If not, let us know.

+1 there

Another suggestion, there are different default settings depending on if you are on a laptop or desktop. The laptop settings I believe default to not run while laptop is in use. There are also other settings based on battery life, and what percentage of the cpu you want to use. If you want to use any available resources you can set it to use 100% of the cpu. Also, you want to uncheck any other boxes in the boinc preferences that tell it to suspend/restrict crunching while laptop is in use or on batteries (this obviously reduces how long the battery will last before needing to be charged but some of that can be offset by reducing the brightness of your screen :D).

Also, make sure to attach to FreeHAL and WuProp as both are non-cpu intensive and are basically free credits.

artemis8
03-22-12, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the boards, glad you found us. It does take several hours for most all projects to complete but I am sorry I don't know about the overloaded issue. I hope you enjoy crunching with us :)

RonP
03-24-12, 12:16 AM
Y'all are a very helpfull group. Thats great. If I stop the screen saver how does this help with computing power for the SETI project? Has anyone found anything interesting? Beside the site projects what other subjects are covered? I'm also intrested in alternate fuels.

Thanks again for all of the help. That was great! =D>

Maxwell
03-24-12, 02:08 PM
Y'all are a very helpfull group. Thats great. If I stop the screen saver how does this help with computing power for the SETI project? Has anyone found anything interesting? Beside the site projects what other subjects are covered? I'm also intrested in alternate fuels.

Thanks again for all of the help. That was great! =D>
By running the screensaver, you're using your computer's processing power to display all that. If you turn it off, you free up more processing power for BOINC and the SETI project. This gets you more points, and we all know that bigger numbers are better. :cool:=))

Slicker
03-25-12, 07:21 PM
Hmmm.... RonP from Texas. Could it be that THE Ron Paul is now a member of SETI.USA?

Mike029
03-26-12, 09:39 AM
Hmmm.... RonP from Texas. Could it be that THE Ron Paul is now a member of SETI.USA?

Hmm, I wonder. :-?

Crazybob
03-26-12, 11:37 PM
Hey, welcome to the team. You just watch your PC and ask any questions you need to. We can help gettting it ronning just the way you want. Great to have you with us!