PDA

View Full Version : Zotac GT 430 PCI slot GPU info

John P. Myers
03-22-12, 08:18 PM
Specifically, i'm talking about this card here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500221

***Please note this is a PCI card, not a PCIe card. It is the fastest PCI card available***

I highly recommend this card for anyone who has an open PCI slot - especially in the older Pentium 4 systems where that's probably the only options there are, and anyone with any system where you're out of PCIe slots or are too near your power supply's wattage limit to risk another PCIe GPU. This card does not have any additional plugs. 100% of the power is drawn from the motherboard's PCI slot (25W, give or take), and because it has such a low power requirement, there's a 99% chance you won't even have to consider upgrading your power supply to run it.

The card only takes up 1 slot, and has no cooling fans to add additional noise to your system. I was a bit skeptical about how well the heatsink would perform, especially when overclocked and right next to an ATI 5870. Was also concerned about how much it might increase the temp of the 5870 with a heat source near it, but i found there's nothing to worry about. With an ambient temp of 75F (~24C), the overclocked GT 430 raised the 5870 @ 900MHz by 1C (74C to 75C). Increasing the fan from 40% to 41% brought it back to down to 74C.

Stock Specs:
Core Clock: 700MHz
Shader Clock: 1400MHz
Memory Clock: 1200MHz

My Overclocked Specs:
Core Clock: 839MHz
Shader Clock: 1678MHz
Memory clock: 1320MHz
GPU temp @ 75F ambient: 65C
Credits/day @ DistRtGen: ~87,580 http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/results.php?hostid=34346&offset=0&show_names=0&state=3&appid=

87.5k credits/day from a PCI slot using 25W? Damn right. Over 3x the performance of the 9500GT PCI cards and cost $25 less than the 9500GT i had. Unbeatable.

Also, if you're a gamer, this card is perfect for dedicated PhysX

EDIT: one more thing, the length of the card is more than short enough that it won't block the air intake on most GPUs.

kaptainkarl1
03-22-12, 08:39 PM
John

Awesome stuff! This is the type of thing that people like me don't even know about and have been wondering about how to stuff lots of cards in all the slots. I know that I will be buying a few of these for my old slow rigs that I have no intention of upgrading other than sticking one or more of these in.

Thanks!

trigggl
03-22-12, 09:07 PM
So, it's roughly the same as a 9800GT? I'm getting about the same times when I leave a core open for the GPU.

John P. Myers
03-22-12, 09:22 PM
So, it's roughly the same as a 9800GT? I'm getting about the same times when I leave a core open for the GPU.

Correct, except the 9800GT was PCIe, 2 slots wide (in most cases) and used more than 2x the power.

trigggl
03-22-12, 09:28 PM
Correct, except the 9800GT was PCIe, 2 slots wide (in most cases) and used more than 2x the power.

I missed the "PCI" part.

My 9800 does happen to be a single wide, but it does require the extra power connector.

That is actually pretty spectacular for a regular PCI slot.

spingadus
03-22-12, 09:55 PM
Any idea how that would compare to a gtx 260-216. If it's better I may get one for my brother and co-opt is machine for boinc. :)

John P. Myers
03-22-12, 10:15 PM
Any idea how that would compare to a gtx 260-216. If it's better I may get one for my brother and co-opt is machine for boinc. :)

The 260-216 would be about 2.5x faster, uses ~4x more power, and is 2 slots wide, but this is not the point lol

The 260 is a PCIe card, not a PCI. The GT 430 i'm talking about here is a PCI card. In fact, the fastest PCI card in existence (at least between Nvidia and AMD - i don't really pay attention to other GPU manufacturers). This is about getting the most out of your unused/poorly used PCI slots. It is about adding 1 or more GT 430s to systems that have no PCIe slots, or PCIe slots that are already used, but still with open PCI slots :p

This message has been brought to you by the often overlooked, but extremely important letter "e"

bmwr606
03-22-12, 10:23 PM
i have a gtx-260-216, can i run 2 of these in my open pci slots alongside of the gtx-260?

John P. Myers
03-22-12, 10:33 PM
i have a gtx-260-216, can i run 2 of these in my open pci slots alongside of the gtx-260?

Yes :) Using 2 of them, even at stock speeds, you'll gain an extra ~142k credits/day crunching DistRtGen

trigggl
03-22-12, 10:40 PM
This message has been brought to you by the often overlooked, but extremely important letter "e"

=)) :bz

spingadus
03-23-12, 12:18 AM
Oh man, I think I may have to get one.

Edit: or two.

Crazybob's Son
03-23-12, 12:46 PM
Same card is $55 after MIR (Limit 2, but I'm sure we all know at least 1 other person to fill our rebates for us as well) @ compusa - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1416091

And may I say awesome on the outputs... VGA, DVI, and HDMI??

Crazybob
03-23-12, 01:31 PM
Between the 2 of us, we might just get 4 if they're in stock in either Hoffman, or Aurora.

John P. Myers
03-23-12, 02:08 PM
Same card is $55 after MIR (Limit 2, but I'm sure we all know at least 1 other person to fill our rebates for us as well) @ compusa - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1416091

And may I say awesome on the outputs... VGA, DVI, and HDMI??

Wow nice find on the price! And yes, i love the outputs on this thing. No need for adapters :)

kaptainkarl1
03-23-12, 03:28 PM
Just bought one to start! Can't wait to let it rip tonight.

Al
03-23-12, 03:59 PM
Wow nice find on the price! And yes, i love the outputs on this thing. No need for adapters :)

Great use of pci slots. If you have trouble getting one, adapters are available to convert pcie to pci. I use one with my gt 430 and it does crunch. As far as I'm concerned, ANY credits coming out of a pci slot is a bonus.

Crazybob
03-23-12, 04:15 PM
JASON IS ON HIS WAY NOW TO PICK UP 4 :)

DrPop
03-23-12, 04:29 PM
JASON IS ON HIS WAY NOW TO PICK UP 4 :)

Oh man, that is nice! Kind of wishing I hadn't given away my old P4 rig now...it had FOUR PCI slots...oh well. :o

zombie67
03-23-12, 04:52 PM
Good lord... How long ago did I first post about this? A year? More?

John P. Myers
03-23-12, 05:11 PM

Not quite that long. I recall you, me and Mumps talking about it that long ago, but it's only actually been available for a couple/few months. And since i benchmarked it and overclocked it so ppl could actually see what it could do, no one will be shopping blindly :)

EDIT: http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?1601-Computex-2011-Silent-and-Single-Slot-GPUs&p=24257&viewfull=1#post24257 there it is, the day it was finally released. ok...so it was back in october...i apologize for being a little slow getting around to it :s

zombie67
03-23-12, 09:59 PM
Yeah, my first post was from June 2011, so 9 months ago. I am just surprised that it took so long to get to market, that's all.

kaptainkarl1
03-23-12, 10:58 PM

I think that items like this should be placed in emails or somehow made more accessible for new members and less well informed members to find and act on.

Being a greenhorn myself, I often get confused or have ideas and wonder where to find the specific information and when I look it gets me even more confused at times sifting through the chafe to find the good stuff.

I don't read old posts and searching for info about stuff like this in the forum is painful at best. Things get lost in there.

Any good information that allows a member to easily increase the output is great news and welcome at that.

I am glad John P. Myers threw this out there again. Thanks! To all of you gurus who share with us non gurus.

Fire$torm
03-23-12, 11:53 PM
I think that items like this should be placed in emails or somehow made more accessible for new members and less well informed members to find and act on.

Being a greenhorn myself, I often get confused or have ideas and wonder where to find the specific information and when I look it gets me even more confused at times sifting through the chafe to find the good stuff.

I don't read old posts and searching for info about stuff like this in the forum is painful at best. Things get lost in there.

Any good information that allows a member to easily increase the output is great news and welcome at that.

I am glad John P. Myers threw this out there again. Thanks! To all of you gurus who share with us non gurus.

Your wish is my command. Sort of....

You are correct. We need to start grabbing stuff like this and adding it all to a single area. This we will have to work on but for the moment I have promoted this thread to an article.

John P. Myers
03-24-12, 05:29 PM
@kaptainkarl1: You can call me JPM like everyone else. It's much easier to type :)

A special note/reminder for those adding this (or any other) GPU to their systems:

If you are getting one and it will be the only GPU in your system, you can skip this.
If you are getting one and adding it to a system that already has 1 AMD/ATI GPU, but no other Nvidia GPUs, you can skip this

If you are getting more than 1 of these, or are adding 1 or more of these to a system that already has 1 or more Nvidia GPUs, please take note:)

By default, BOINC will not use every GPU in your system. It leaves one untouched, thinking maybe you need it for something else i guess. I dunno. I don't get it personally and it seems a bit silly :p This is something BOINC does and is not the fault of your GPU manufacturer, not a driver issue and nothing to do with a bug in your OS.

Fortunately, preventing it from happening is really really simple.

** Go to C:\ProgramData\BOINC\

look for a file named cc_config.xml

If it is there, simply add <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus> in between the <options> tags, save and you're done.

If it is not there (often it isn't unless you've made this file before), then open Notepad or any crappy text editor and copy/paste the following:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

Then simply save it as C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

You're done! :)

**Normally, the C:\ProgramData directory (i think they call them "folders" these days? bleh) is hidden. You may have to type it in manually to go there. To make all files unhidden: (in Win 7)
open Folder Options
click the View tab
put a bullet in the circle next to Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives
click Apply/OK and you're done :)

EDIT: After creating cc_config.xml, you must either restart BOINC for it to take effect, or in BOINC, click Advanced >> Read config file (call me superstitious, but restarting feels safer)

zombie67
03-24-12, 06:31 PM
This situation happens *only* when there are two different GPUs with *significantly* different crunching power. BOINC uses the fastest GPU for calculating work requests x the number of GPUs. So for example, assume you have a 9500 GT and a GTX 580. BOINC would automatically calculate work fetch based on the 580, times two cards. That could end up downloading so much work that it cannot return it all in time, depending on the size of your cache and the deadlines of the project. Because the 9500 is not really a 580. So by default, if BOINC detects a large enough difference between the two (or however many) GPUs, it will ignore one of them. I forget which, the faster or slower. Anyway, if you want, you can over ride this behavior with the method you describe. But understand that you are taking a risk of over-downloading tasks, and being late. So be sure to keep an eye on your queue, and keep it small until you have a good handle on the right cache size to keep without issues.

John P. Myers
03-24-12, 06:43 PM
This situation happens *only* when there are two different GPUs with *significantly* different crunching power. BOINC uses the fastest GPU for calculating work requests x the number of GPUs. So for example, assume you have a 9500 GT and a GTX 580. BOINC would automatically calculate work fetch based on the 580, times two cards. That could end up downloading so much work that it cannot return it all in time, depending on the size of your cache and the deadlines of the project. Because the 9500 is not really a 580. So by default, if BOINC detects a large enough difference between the two (or however many) GPUs, it will ignore one of them. I forget which, the faster or slower. Anyway, if you want, you can over ride this behavior with the method you describe. But understand that you are taking a risk of over-downloading tasks, and being late. So be sure to keep an eye on your queue, and keep it small until you have a good handle on the right cache size to keep without issues.

That is absolutely true. Thank you for pointing that out. There are 2 ways to prevent it:

1) click Tools >> Computing Preferences >> Network Usage and change Additional Work Buffer to some value less than 0.50 (i personally keep mine at 0.25). The higher the GPU count, the lower this number may need to be. Also during some competitions where buffering is permitted, you may need to keep an eye on things.

2) F$ made a thread on how to use another cc_config option which prevents certain GPUs from running certain projects so BOINC will not download the tasks for it as it will the others. This excluded GPU can then be set to run a different project, though you will have to exclude this different project from the other GPUs. See here: http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?2273-cc_config-xml-amp-boinc-exe&p=24981&viewfull=1#post24981

EDIT: The reason i keep my Additional Work Buffer that low has nothing to do with worrying about getting too many tasks to turn in on time. It's just a personal preference to keep my task list as uncluttered as possible. Back when i first started crunching, i used to like to see hundreds of work units in the queue. Now, not so much. It doesn't really matter either way (except someone, somewhere probably won't be happy waiting 10 days for validation), just don't be late :)

EmSti
03-25-12, 03:41 PM
Assume info. Thanks you all for posting this thread, for having it posted to the front and for how to get it to work well. I am a little overspent at the moment, put I I have ear marked the thread and will fill empty slots later on.

coronicus
03-25-12, 04:49 PM
Assume info. Thanks you all for posting this thread, for having it posted to the front and for how to get it to work well. I am a little overspent at the moment, put I I have ear marked the thread and will fill empty slots later on.

Aye agree thanks for all the info but the project i have atm is trying to see if i can use the x1 PCIE slot like someone else was doing on the hydra project, sorry can't recall off hand which team member but it really sounded cool to think i could fit a few extra decent cards on those x1 slots that are just collecting dust. So I purchased a few x1 extention cables and will let ya know how it goes not sure if the x1 will be enough bandwidth but since its for older cards im hoping it will work.

Al
03-25-12, 05:20 PM
Aye agree thanks for all the info but the project i have atm is trying to see if i can use the x1 PCIE slot like someone else was doing on the hydra project, sorry can't recall off hand which team member but it really sounded cool to think i could fit a few extra decent cards on those x1 slots that are just collecting dust. So I purchased a few x1 extention cables and will let ya know how it goes not sure if the x1 will be enough bandwidth but since its for older cards im hoping it will work.

He who uses pcie x1 slots is Al...that's me! Crunching requires very little bandwidth. I've run a 6950 and a 560ti without a problem.

Al
03-25-12, 05:23 PM
He who uses pcie x1 slots is Al...that's me! Crunching requires very little bandwidth. I've run a 6950 and a 560ti without a problem.

BTW, some MB's disable the x1 slot when the x16's are full. Gigabyte boards in particular.

Slicker
03-25-12, 07:14 PM
That is absolutely true. Thank you for pointing that out. There are 2 ways to prevent it:

1) click Tools >> Computing Preferences >> Network Usage and change Additional Work Buffer to some value less than 0.50 (i personally keep mine at 0.25). The higher the GPU count, the lower this number may need to be. Also during some competitions where buffering is permitted, you may need to keep an eye on things.

As of BOINC 7.x the way those settings works has changed. I believe it is now min cache and max cache and it won't connect as often. Does that sound correct zombie67? I know you have been using 7.x for quite a while.

John P. Myers
03-25-12, 08:30 PM

I too have run a GTX 460 from a PCIe x1 slot with a cable. Works perfectly.

BTW, some MB's disable the x1 slot when the x16's are full. Gigabyte boards in particular.

Not true. All motherboard manufacturers disable it equally. The reason has nothing to do with the motherboard itself, but the CPU/chipset. If AMD/Intel only make a CPU/chipset that can handle 32 lanes, then these 32 lanes have to spread out across all (up to) 7 PCIe slots, so you have no choice but to run some of the x16s at x8 and some of the x8s at x0 when too many cards are present.

Also remember that as of socket 775 (Core 2), your internet connection also uses a PCIe lane, as do some of the SATA 1/2/3/eSATA connections, firewire and some of the USB plugs. There's no one to blame for the PCIe bandwidth reduction but Intel and AMD. Motherboard makers simply have no choice.

On very few of the high-high-end motherboards (usually $350+) you may find a Lucid Hydra chip which adds a few additional PCIe lanes, but you're gonna pay through the nose for it.
The Big Bang Marshal from MSI has one. When all 8 PCIe x16 slots are filled, the bandwidth is this:
Slot Speed
1 ----8x
2 ----1x
3 ----8x
4 ----1x
5 ----8x
6 ----1x
7 ----8x
8 ----1x

If it wasn't for the Lucid Hydra, all of the x1's would be x0, which is how it is on nearly every motherboard, regardless of brand. Even though this motherboard is now obselete, MSI has yet to produce one that is more expensive, or even equal to the price of the Big Bang Marshal. Even the Big Bang XpowerII X79 board is cheaper. Nvidia's NV200 chip also adds additional lanes, but again, it'll never be found on cheaper motherboards. Every motherboard, regardless of how high-end it may be, loses at least 4 PCIe lanes to the functions mentioned above.

Al
03-25-12, 10:21 PM
JPM, Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't trying to knock Gigabyte in particular, I have 2 and I find them very easy to setup and very well made. Thought it was by choice that they disabled the x1, guess I was wrong. That said, I guess you really need to check the specs before planning to use the x1 slots because you may find it disabled.

Crazybob's Son
03-26-12, 12:31 AM
We got this put into my dad's atom which only has a PCI-e x1 slot and PCI slots. He previously had a PCI video card in there, but it went out. We got it installed, installed the drivers and then the issues started.

We can get the video to post to the PCI card, but then after it posts the video signal switches over to the onboard video, which would be fine if boinc recognized the PCI card but it does not. Looked for a spot in the bios to disable the onboard video but no luck. Any ideas?

DrPop
03-26-12, 01:37 AM
I think one of the GPU gurus are going to have to help on this but, first off, I'd use the onboard video for the monitor.
Then, you have to tell BOINC to use the new PCI card through a special config. Xml thing --it automatically disables a lower card when there are more than one - so the pcie card is probably getting priority here. F$ and JPM and the guys can run circles around me when it comes to this stuff, but if you can go into the device manager in Windows and see that the 430 is installed and present, then it's just a matter if tricking out that config file in BOINC to make it work.

Fire$torm
03-26-12, 02:05 AM

That would be JPM. I'll look for the post.

Edit: Dammit, I couldn't find it. It must be on the old forum..... No access to those archives....... $^#(*%^#($&%$@(%)#&$^%(#^@#

2nd Edit: How-to - Modding PCIe x1 slot for a x16 card.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83&topicid=26706

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249291-30-card

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfq2uTCGZts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_9eUbBU1cY

Persnally I'd use a Dremel tool with an Emery cut-off wheel. Easier cleanup and more control of the width of the cut.

John P. Myers
03-26-12, 05:24 AM
We got this put into my dad's atom which only has a PCI-e x1 slot and PCI slots. He previously had a PCI video card in there, but it went out. We got it installed, installed the drivers and then the issues started.

We can get the video to post to the PCI card, but then after it posts the video signal switches over to the onboard video, which would be fine if boinc recognized the PCI card but it does not. Looked for a spot in the bios to disable the onboard video but no luck. Any ideas?

I've had something similar happen before. Was a driver issue. Are there any other GPUs in the computer in any type of slot? If so, are they are all Nvidia or is at least 1 AMD? And if so, what OS you using?

Or wait...maybe it was a BIOS issue...man i can't remember lol
Is it a Dell by chance? :p

Edit: Dammit, I couldn't find it. It must be on the old forum..... No access to those archives....... $^#(*%^#($&%$@#&$^%(#^@#
Yeah, there must be a a few dozen terabytes of really good info over on the old boards ;(
I remember posting something about bandwidth comparisons and x16 in an x1 and even remember that converter i found to turn a PCI into a PCIe x16 (of course it only had PCI bandwidth)
I remember i got PCIe X1 cables and modded the cables to fit on a PCIe x16 GPU. Modding the slot wasn't an option on that board because a heatsink was in the way. And modding PCIe X1 cables is cheaper than buying a PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 cable.

And i agree. Use a Dremel. Very easy to precisely control, which is extra important when modding the slot on your mobo. And ummm... 8-> :-??

Crazybob's Son
03-26-12, 10:37 AM
Are there any other GPUs in the computer in any type of slot? If so, are they are all Nvidia or is at least 1 AMD? And if so, what OS you using?

Just the onboard video and it is an intel gpu chipset. The onboard video card is not used for crunching. This machine previously had a PCI (not PCI-e) installed and it worked just fine until the card crapped out and my dad had to switch back to using onboard video to at least crunch on the cpu. We were not able to see any settings in the bios to disable onboard video. We did see one that stated something along the lines of what to use for initial video signal which we put to PCI. That is where the video signal starts and then after posting it goes blank. If you put the VGA plug to the onboard video then windows has started no problem.

DrPop
03-26-12, 01:03 PM
When you go into the control panel and then device manager, look at Display devices. You should see 2 - the onboard Intel one, and the new 430. If you do see both, why not try right clicking on the Intel one and "disable" it. Then reboot. Windows should then only load the driver for the new 430 and not both. There is definitely a conflict going on somewhere when it loads both.

Also, can you give me the model # of the motherboard? I'll find the manual and have a look at the BIOS stuff just in case I see something that sticks out to my memory...

Crazybob
03-28-12, 10:59 AM
Disabling the onboard in the device manager did the trick. Was a little newvous at first, when it didn't post to either adapter. The n I noticed machine was accessing network, so tried the new card again and there it was. Thanks DP! Thought I was going to be SOL on this one.:)

Crazybob's Son
03-28-12, 11:17 AM
Disabling the onboard in the device manager did the trick. Was a little newvous at first, when it didn't post to either adapter. The n I noticed machine was accessing network, so tried the new card again and there it was. Thanks DP! Thought I was going to be SOL on this one.:)

Yep! between his computer and mine we put up an additional 175,160 credit. Looks like they are getting 8,758 credit/wu and taking roughly 3hrs per wu.

DrPop
03-28-12, 02:30 PM
Sweet! That's a nice chunk o' credits for the team. :D Great increase!

Crazybob
03-30-12, 05:44 PM
added the second card to my 6 core. Already has a GTX460 in it. Device manager recognizes it. GPU-Z says it is under 99% load, but the CUDA check box is not checked and BOINC says the box is only running 1 instance of PG. I have a CC_Config file to tell it to use all GPU's. Didn't see anything at PG to tell it to do the same. If I pull up the box at PG, it only lists the 460. Any clues?

Fire$torm
03-30-12, 06:48 PM
added the second card to my 6 core. Already has a GTX460 in it. Device manager recognizes it. GPU-Z says it is under 99% load, but the CUDA check box is not checked and BOINC says the box is only running 1 instance of PG. I have a CC_Config file to tell it to use all GPU's. Didn't see anything at PG to tell it to do the same. If I pull up the box at PG, it only lists the 460. Any clues?

Not sure. I would hazard a guess that the the nVidia driver needs to be reinstalled and or project needs to be reset. In that order. And remember to use Driver Sweeper.

Edit: Try extending your desktop first. Normally not required for nVidia but in rare cases it helps.

John P. Myers
03-31-12, 06:36 AM
Not sure. I would hazard a guess that the the nVidia driver needs to be reinstalled and or project needs to be reset. In that order. And remember to use Driver Sweeper.

Edit: Try extending your desktop first. Normally not required for nVidia but in rare cases it helps.

Yeah i've had to reinstall drivers when adding a second card, even though it's the same driver. It's like it sets itself up only for the exact number of cards in the system at the time of installation.

Crazybob
04-02-12, 06:48 PM
Still screwing with this thing without any luck. I disabled the 460 and rebooted. Boot-up was to the 460 and then switched to the 430, so it does work. GPU-Z says both cards are under 99% load. 1 Instance of PG running. Attached to Dirt to see if maybe the 430 wouldn't crunch PG. Restarted BOINC. Wouldn't connect to DIRT. Re-enabled 460. Rebooted. BOINC had acquired a SL of DIRT, but was only crunching 1 DIRT WU and no PG. Clicked on NVIDIA icon ib systray. Says the 430 is for display 2, and 460 for display 1, is this significant? Running out of patience with this.:mad:

John P. Myers
04-02-12, 07:15 PM
Still screwing with this thing without any luck. I disabled the 460 and rebooted. Boot-up was to the 460 and then switched to the 430, so it does work. GPU-Z says both cards are under 99% load. 1 Instance of PG running. Attached to Dirt to see if maybe the 430 wouldn't crunch PG. Restarted BOINC. Wouldn't connect to DIRT. Re-enabled 460. Rebooted. BOINC had acquired a SL of DIRT, but was only crunching 1 DIRT WU and no PG. Clicked on NVIDIA icon ib systray. Says the 430 is for display 2, and 460 for display 1, is this significant? Running out of patience with this.:mad:

What doe BOINC say about the card in the Event Log? Is it recognized as existing since everything else sees it?

Crazybob
04-02-12, 07:30 PM
It says Nvidia gpu 430 not used, Not sure why?

Fire$torm
04-02-12, 08:16 PM
It says Nvidia gpu 430 not used, Not sure why?

Add the following to your cc_config.xml file

<use_all_gpus>
If set, use GPUs even if they're not equivalent to the most capable one. New in 6.6.25

Note: 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

Al
04-02-12, 08:16 PM
I KNOW you should have to do this with Nvidia...but I swear I had to do it once when I added a 2nd 570. Plug both cards into a monitor or use a dummy plug. Yeah, yeah, I know, but humor me. It sounds like you covered all the other bases. I came in late on this so sorry if I missed it..you did extend the monitor onto the 430? Sorry if everyone thinks I'm crazy, but this truly worked for me once. I haven't had to do it since. What do you have to lose, but a couple of minutes.

Fire$torm
04-02-12, 08:27 PM
I KNOW you should have to do this with Nvidia...but I swear I had to do it once when I added a 2nd 570. Plug both cards into a monitor or use a dummy plug. Yeah, yeah, I know, but humor me. It sounds like you covered all the other bases. I came in late on this so sorry if I missed it..you did extend the monitor onto the 430? Sorry if everyone thinks I'm crazy, but this truly worked for me once. I haven't had to do it since. What do you have to lose, but a couple of minutes.

I had to do that (second monitor cable) with my daily desktop. Still needs it. HD 5830 (in slot 01) and 8800GT (in slot 02). My other systems have similar setups but do not need the dummy plug for nVidia. Go Figure.

Crazybob
04-02-12, 08:30 PM
Add the following to your cc_config.xml file

Note: 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled

Have that in my cc_config.xml already. Just to be sure, it is in my programfiles/Boinc folder. If I try another monitor, will I need a dummy plug from now on? I thought only the ATI cards needed a dummy.

Cruncher Pete
04-02-12, 08:37 PM
Have that in my cc_config.xml already. Just to be sure, it is in my programfiles/Boinc folder. If I try another monitor, will I need a dummy plug from now on? I thought only the ATI cards needed a dummy.

If you got it in your programfiles/Boinc folder it is in the wrong place. It should be in the Programdata/Boinc folder if you are using Win7, otherwise I shut up...:)

Crazybob
04-02-12, 09:00 PM
Gosh Darn, some kinda beech, farg'n icehole of peice of shite! I've been screwing with this thing forever and the file was in the wrong spot. I feel like an idgiot!:mad::o:mad::o:mad::o:mad::o:o:mad::o:mad:: o

Biproduct is that using ncpus of 32 gives me a shite load of SIMAP!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I probably would have just gave up without you.

Fire$torm
04-02-12, 09:26 PM
Gosh Darn, some kinda beech, farg'n icehole of peice of shite! I've been screwing with this thing forever and the file was in the wrong spot. I feel like an idgiot!:mad::o:mad::o:mad::o:mad::o:o:mad::o:mad:: o

Biproduct is that using ncpus of 32 gives me a shite load of SIMAP!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I probably would have just gave up without you.

=)) Hey man, it happens. Welcome to the "Momentary Loss of Mind" club..........

Maxwell
04-02-12, 11:20 PM
=)) Hey man, it happens. Welcome to the "Momentary Loss of Mind" club..........
It's like when I call Tech Support, having tried everything in the world I can think of, and they tell me to reset the modem. I usually tell them they need to punch me in the face. :p

krazy k
04-13-12, 05:18 PM

So what's the trick to get the mobo to enable the card?

I have a gb and I went and initialized the pci card first, but still I can't see it in the device manager. I had it plugged into the monitor and it was working, but once I put the monitor back on the 480 it hasn't appeared since.

I'll keep trying, but I might have to start drinking soon....holy wtf it's miller time anyway.

Al
04-13-12, 06:09 PM

I have a gb and I went and initialized the pci card first, but still I can't see it in the device manager. I had it plugged into the monitor and it was working, but once I put the monitor back on the 480 it hasn't appeared since.

My guess is that it isn't the MB. I would try shutting down, removing the card, reboot, shut down, reinstall the card and see if Windows recognizes the new hardware. If it does Windows may try to install its default driver. Win7 is very persistent so I let it, then install the driver that came with the card. Reboot and you should be set. I've never had to hook a monitor to a NVIDIA card to get it to install correctly, so I'd just leave it hooked to the 480.

I'm running a pcie 430 in a pci slot, using an adapter, and it works fine. Keep posting and we'll help you work through this bump in the road. :beer:

DrPop
04-13-12, 07:24 PM
Wow - where'd you get an adapter from pci-e to a PCI slot? I was looking all over for one of those back in the day when I had an old dual Xeon server - would have been nice to have back then!:p

krazy k
04-13-12, 07:34 PM
Yea well we may never know what the cause was, but it's sorta working now.

On dirt the 430 runs a task, but never completes it. The timer counts up and I gave it over 2 hours to complete a task, but it never did. I put the work back on primegrid and my 8800 just tripped out every task...

So one step forward, but a smaller less powerful step back.

Al
04-13-12, 09:41 PM
Wow - where'd you get an adapter from pci-e to a PCI slot? I was looking all over for one of those back in the day when I had an old dual Xeon server - would have been nice to have back then!:p

This is the one I use. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10304&cs_id=1030406&p_id=7001&seq=1&format=2)

Fire$torm
04-13-12, 10:34 PM

I'll keep trying, but I might have to start drinking soon....holy wtf it's miller time anyway.

Long shot but might work. Uninstall nVidia drivers, then open device manager, remove any/all video cards listed and shut down computer. Pull the PCIe card out of the system and then boot into safe mode. Run Driver Sweeper and CCleaner then reboot. Find the latest nVidia driver that supports both cards (note: make sure it supports PCI and not just the card model) and install. Now run BOINC to find out if it can now see the card. If it does then shut down system. Install the other card and boot into safe mode. This is important as safe mode forces Windows to reset all pre-boot cache files and settings. Now reboot normally. 50/50 chance this will work. Windows is a flaky POS so sometimes you have to jump through a bunch of hoops that's in the middle of a gater infested swamp to get it to work like it is supposed to...... Its a pain!

DrPop
04-14-12, 01:44 PM
This is the one I use. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10304&cs_id=1030406&p_id=7001&seq=1&format=2)

Thanks! I wish they would have made one 2 years ago! I may have use for one at some point though. :)

Fire$torm
04-14-12, 03:51 PM
Thanks! I wish they would have made one 2 years ago! I may have use for one at some point though. :)

I've seen similar stuff in the past though not available at most mass market etailers like Newegg.

krazy k
04-15-12, 07:38 PM
Yea well we may never know what the cause was, but it's sorta working now.

On dirt the 430 runs a task, but never completes it. The timer counts up and I gave it over 2 hours to complete a task, but it never did. I put the work back on primegrid and my 8800 just tripped out every task...

So one step forward, but a smaller less powerful step back.

So now both the 8800 and the 430 are failing tasks on gpu/primegrid and the 430 still isn't completing any tasks on dirt. Well I don't see how this could happen, but I'm sending this thing back.

coronicus
04-15-12, 10:47 PM
So now both the 8800 and the 430 are failing tasks on gpu/primegrid and the 430 still isn't completing any tasks on dirt. Well I don't see how this could happen, but I'm sending this thing back.

Man that sucks... Wish knew some tricks to make it work... :(

Fire$torm
04-15-12, 11:47 PM

Bummer. Sorry I could not be of any help.

GregK
04-16-12, 06:25 AM
will order one in may for my wifes old computer. think its a 1.2ghz or 1.6 but im sure it has a pci slot. going to max out the ram in that one too.

kaptainkarl1
04-16-12, 08:39 PM
If I stick 4 of these and a single slot pcie 16 card in one box do I need more ram? I have 2 gb now.

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 09:41 PM
If I stick 4 of these and a single slot pcie 16 card in one box do I need more ram? I have 2 gb now.

I would hazard a guess and say YES! I would also suggest investing in more/better case fans for intake and exhaust.

kaptainkarl1
04-17-12, 11:23 AM
How much would you suggest? I will have to see how the heat buildup goes. This is an old dual core HP that happens to have 4 pci slots! Already running 1 of these in it now. Gonna buy two more with the rebate for April and some ram as well.

Fire$torm
04-17-12, 01:54 PM
How much would you suggest? I will have to see how the heat buildup goes. This is an old dual core HP that happens to have 4 pci slots! Already running 1 of these in it now. Gonna buy two more with the rebate for April and some ram as well.

At least double it. But you may run into a problem. I'll take a guess and say your system uses DDR2. With DDR2 you will need to double check system requirements and inspect what kind of sticks are already installed as some systems can use only single sided sticks (RAM chips occupy only one side of the circuit board) and other systems do not allow a mix of single and double sided sticks. Of course you will also have to purchase RAM that matches the speed of what you have already, unless you plan on replacing the old stuff.

Question: Which HP model do you have?

krazy k
04-17-12, 03:43 PM
Man that sucks... Wish knew some tricks to make it work... :(

What driver version is everyone using? 296.10 for me and it fails or doesn't do anything on collatz. Think it could be the card?

Al
04-17-12, 04:08 PM
What driver version is everyone using? 296.10 for me and it fails or doesn't do anything on collatz. Think it could be the card?

I'm using 285.62 on my 2x570 system win7 64. My winxp 32 system with 2x430 and a 560ti 448 core uses 285.66. No problems running anything.

Fire$torm
04-17-12, 04:11 PM

JPM's first post in this thread only mentioned that he used this card on Dirt. For my 8800GT I still use 266.58 and can crunch Dirt, Moo & Donate. I'll give Collatz a try and report back asap.

Edit: Collatz is now running on my 8800GT so give 266.58 a try.

2nd Edit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

kaptainkarl1
04-17-12, 10:21 PM
At least double it. But you may run into a problem. I'll take a guess and say your system uses DDR2. With DDR2 you will need to double check system requirements and inspect what kind of sticks are already installed as some systems can use only single sided sticks (RAM chips occupy only one side of the circuit board) and other systems do not allow a mix of single and double sided sticks. Of course you will also have to purchase RAM that matches the speed of what you have already, unless you plan on replacing the old stuff.

Question: Which HP model do you have?

Whoops! Its a Dell Dimension DIME521
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Any Idea what I could put in this old beast? It only has two ram slots if I remember correctly...Considering I thought it was an HP up until now.

DrPop
04-17-12, 11:34 PM
Whoops! Its a Dell Dimension DIME521
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Any Idea what I could put in this old beast? It only has two ram slots if I remember correctly...Considering I thought it was an HP up until now.

Good Evening, Cap'n! Well hmmm...sometimes it is worth upgrading the old beast and sometimes not. ;) I have been round and round myself on stuff like this at many times in my life. The biggest question that comes to mind is, this being a "mini" BTX system, can you fit a good PSU in there? If not, what is the wattage of the current PSU? That is likely to be your limiting factor on an old Dell / HP / insert "Brand" here.

CPU: If you want to use the stock cooler on the CPU (i.e. you don't want to mod the case!) then the best CPU you can stick in there is the AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-6000-3-GHz-Dual-Core-ADA6000IAA6CZ-AM2-Processor-CPU-/261005893050?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cc529ddba) for just shy of $50 - this is due to the 6400+ CPU taking a lot more watts, and the stock cooler probably can't hack it.

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800 (as in four sticks of 1GB supported) Not sure, but *sometimes* with the latest BIOS update you can get 2 sticks of 2GB working in these old things, but they only have 32Bit Memory addressing in the chipset, so the chipset is limited at 4GB (actually Windows will only see 3.5GB - no matter if you run 64bit version or not).

GPU: Pretty much sky is the limit for crunching because you have a PCI-e X16 slot w/ 8GBs/sec bandwidth. No worries there, even though it's only revision 1 of PCi-e, the card will crunch no problem! The issue here is going to be PSU - can you put a more powerful PSU in this rig? If not, you are limited to the 305W of the original Dell PSU. Not many "big" PCI-e GPUs can run off of the little you will have to give it - perhaps you could throw a GTX 460 in there, and be safe - but that would mean NO other GPUs at all - don't even think about doing anything else to it on the stock PSU. :)
Your 2 PCI slots you *could* fill up with the PCI version of the GTX 430 they are talking about in this thread as well. Depending on how big your primary GPU is that you stick in that PCI-e slot, heat may become a problem - or you can just leave the case off if it's in the right setting! :D

Hope this helps a little. ;)

Fire$torm
04-18-12, 12:24 AM
Good Evening, Cap'n! Well hmmm...sometimes it is worth upgrading the old beast and sometimes not. ;) I have been round and round myself on stuff like this at many times in my life. The biggest question that comes to mind is, this being a "mini" BTX system, can you fit a good PSU in there? If not, what is the wattage of the current PSU? That is likely to be your limiting factor on an old Dell / HP / insert "Brand" here.

CPU: If you want to use the stock cooler on the CPU (i.e. you don't want to mod the case!) then the best CPU you can stick in there is the AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-6000-3-GHz-Dual-Core-ADA6000IAA6CZ-AM2-Processor-CPU-/261005893050?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cc529ddba) for just shy of $50 - this is due to the 6400+ CPU taking a lot more watts, and the stock cooler probably can't hack it.

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800 (as in four sticks of 1GB supported) Not sure, but *sometimes* with the latest BIOS update you can get 2 sticks of 2GB working in these old things, but they only have 32Bit Memory addressing in the chipset, so the chipset is limited at 4GB (actually Windows will only see 3.5GB - no matter if you run 64bit version or not).

GPU: Pretty much sky is the limit for crunching because you have a PCI-e X16 slot w/ 8GBs/sec bandwidth. No worries there, even though it's only revision 1 of PCi-e, the card will crunch no problem! The issue here is going to be PSU - can you put a more powerful PSU in this rig? If not, you are limited to the 305W of the original Dell PSU. Not many "big" PCI-e GPUs can run off of the little you will have to give it - perhaps you could throw a GTX 460 in there, and be safe - but that would mean NO other GPUs at all - don't even think about doing anything else to it on the stock PSU. :)
Your 2 PCI slots you *could* fill up with the PCI version of the GTX 430 they are talking about in this thread as well. Depending on how big your primary GPU is that you stick in that PCI-e slot, heat may become a problem - or you can just leave the case off if it's in the right setting! :D

I found this on Dell's website and gave a shot at trying to recreate the formatting here. What a pain in the arse........

================================================== =========

Processors

Processor type

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core processor
AMD Athlon 64 processor
AMD Sempron™ processor

Level 2 (L2) cache

Up to 1 MB per core
Up to 256 KB for Sempron processors

Memory

Type

533-MHz, 667-MHz, 800-MHz (when available) DDR2 SDRAM

Memory connectors

four

Memory capacities

256&nbsp;MB, 512&nbsp;MB, or 1&nbsp;GB non-ECC

Maximum memory

4&nbsp;GB

NOTE: See Addressing Memory With 4-GB Configurations (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1488668) to verify the amount of memory available to the operating system.

Computer Information

Chipset

Nvidia GeForce 6150LE

RAID Support

RAID 1 (Mirroring)

DMA channels

eight

Interrupt levels

BIOS chip (NVRAM)

4 Mb

NIC

Integrated network interface capable of 10/100 communication

Video

Type

Nvidia integrated video (DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 Graphics Processing Unit) or optional PCI Express x16 graphics card

Audio

Type

Sigmatel 9227 CODEC (7.1 Channel audio)

Expansion Bus&nbsp;

Bus type

PCI 2.3
PCI Express 1.0A
SATA 1.0 and 2.0
USB 2.0

Bus speed

PCI: 133 MB/s

PCI Express:

x1 slot bidirectional speed - 500 MB/s

x16 slot bidirectional speed - 8 GB/s

SATA: 1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps
USB: 480 Mbps high speed, 12 Mbps full speed, 1.2 Mbps low speed

PCI

&nbsp;

connectors

two

connector size

124 pins

connector data width (maximum)

32 bits

PCI Express

&nbsp;

connector

one x1

connector size

36 pins

1 PCI Express lane

PCI Express

&nbsp;

connector

one x16

connector size

164 pins

16 PCI Express lanes

======================================

Links:

Specifications - Dell™ Dimension™ E521 Service Manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/SM_EN/specs.htm)

Removing and Installing Parts - Dell™ Dimension™ E521 Service Manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1184464)

Dell™ Dimension™ E521 Service Manual (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/SM_EN/index.htm)

Dell™ Dimension™ E521 Manuals - PDF Format (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/index.htm)

Mumps
05-01-12, 10:07 PM
Oh darn! The rebate expired. On 4/30. Wait... What's that you say? There's another $20 rebate now available that 's good until the end of May? Oh happy joy! :)

Now I wonder if the May rebate "limit of two" is independent of the April limit. :)

Slicker
05-02-12, 09:17 AM
Oh darn! The rebate expired. On 4/30. Wait... What's that you say? There's another $20 rebate now available that 's good until the end of May? Oh happy joy! :)

Now I wonder if the May rebate "limit of two" is independent of the April limit. :)

I only see it for the PCI Express versions, not the PCI version.

kaptainkarl1
05-02-12, 12:17 PM
Yes it is. I purchased one in March got the rebate. Purchased two in April got the rebate on both and will be purchasing 1 maybe two more now that they have a new rebate for May. So hook it up while you can they are awesome little crunchers.

DrPop
05-02-12, 12:30 PM
Yes it is. I purchased one... So hook it up while you can they are awesome little crunchers.

So you guys are just loading (older?) rigs up with these, I mean rigs that only have PCI slots in them? What kind of output are they giving / day?:confused:
Would be interesting to do a credits / $ and Credits / watt ratio to see about these...

Crazybob's Son
05-02-12, 12:43 PM
What kind of output are they giving / day?

I am seeing roughly 70k/day with mine in a P4 (no hyperthreading) box. Had to update ncpus to 2 in order to still allow computing on the CPU as well since Dirt takes up 70% of a cpu.

DrPop
05-02-12, 12:59 PM
Thanks for that info. I'll throw that into my spreadsheet I've done with the various cards and see how it stacks up credits /$ and /watt wise. :cool:

Only other thing - do you think that older P4 CPU is starving the GPU any when you crunch CPU tasks on it, or does the GPU % utilization stay pretty high still?
Thanks.

Crazybob's Son
05-02-12, 01:06 PM
Thanks for that info. I'll throw that into my spreadsheet I've done with the various cards and see how it stacks up credits /$ and /watt wise. :cool:

Only other thing - do you think that older P4 CPU is starving the GPU any when you crunch CPU tasks on it, or does the GPU % utilization stay pretty high still?
Thanks.

I'll have to check that out. Haven't looked since I updated the ncpus. Initially it was not running an CPU tasks at all because of the 70% cpu usage. Might have to try it out on other Nvidia gpu projects as well.

kaptainkarl1
05-02-12, 09:30 PM
So you guys are just loading (older?) rigs up with these, I mean rigs that only have PCI slots in them? What kind of output are they giving / day?:confused:
Would be interesting to do a credits / $ and Credits / watt ratio to see about these...

Yeah any available PCI slot. It is an easy way to grab some quick credits without overloading a PSU and having to engineer anything. I have two of these in a Dual Core AMD plus an old 9500 until I nab a better card. I am not able to do any CPU computing and am waiting for some ram to arrive for the machine and then I will update you on the credits.

What is the best way to calculate the credits for this host? Boinc Stats shows all sorts of crazy numbers for the host so I am not certain it would be accurate.

BOINC Cross Project IDentifier 9f2bc2ed1b604948ec6d828182feebfa

Owner KaptainKarl1[SETI.USA]
Link to users host stats All hosts from KaptainKarl1[SETI.USA]

First seen on 2012-01-21 20:55:36

CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Number of CPU's (number of (virtual) cores) 1(2)
Operating System and version Microsoft Windows XP

Current Credit (based on incremental update) 8,360,066.63
BOINC World position based on credit (based on incremental update) 12,926
Recent average credit RAC (projects accumulated) 98,867.59382
Recent average credit RAC (according to BOINCstats) 135,256.22397
Average credit per CPU second 0.035000
Recent average position change per day 9,665.51
Overtake stats Overtake stats

Contribution to BOINC total credit 0.00090%
Accumulated more credit than % of all BOINC hosts 99.82%
Highest World position ever 12926 at 2012-05-02

Set your credit target calculate
Target results
No target set
Set your date target calculate
Target results
No target set

Total credit % of total last day
DistrRTgen 1,229,744.00 14.71 210,192.00
PrimeGrid 7,102,690.53 84.96 6,560.58
SETI@Home 716.97 0.01
WUProp@Home 26,915.13 0.32 56.00

Best five days

Date Credit
2012-04-22 7,149,090
2012-04-27 7,117,014
2012-02-26 5,536,284
2012-02-27 431,815
2012-01-22 424,876

Fire$torm
05-02-12, 09:31 PM
I only see it for the PCI Express versions, not the PCI version.

Newegg: $69.99 + 6.98 S/H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500221)

CompUSA/TigerDirect: $74.99 + ??? S/H (Before $20.00 MIR) (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1416091&CatId=3669)

Mumps
05-02-12, 09:50 PM
Newegg: $69.99 + 6.98 S/H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500221)

CompUSA/TigerDirect: $74.99 + ??? S/H (Before $20.00 MIR) (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1416091&CatId=3669)

Funny to see CompUSA has the card (with the PCI part number) filed under PCI Express 2.0 cards with 1 Gb or more RAM, but even the description says PCI and only 512 Meg...

Just curious how much that shipping actually works out to for me...

kaptainkarl1
05-14-12, 09:35 PM
Shout out to Dr. Pop

What can I do with this: HP Pavillion 64 x2 Dual core 4600+ 2.41ghz with 2 gb of ram. I already slammed a Zotac PCI in there and have room for 1 more and a PCIe 16 slot open as well.

Slicker
05-15-12, 10:05 AM
Shout out to Dr. Pop

What can I do with this: HP Pavillion 64 x2 Dual core 4600+ 2.41ghz with 2 gb of ram. I already slammed a Zotac PCI in there and have room for 1 more and a PCIe 16 slot open as well.

It sure sounds like someone has caught the crunching bug!

DrPop
05-15-12, 06:25 PM
Shout out to Dr. Pop

PM sent! :D

Slicker
05-18-12, 03:41 AM
Almost picked up a GT 520 today. Glad I didn't. The GT 430 has double the CUDA cores and almost the same clock speed for the same price.

John P. Myers
05-18-12, 05:41 AM
Almost picked up a GT 520 today. Glad I didn't. The GT 430 has double the CUDA cores and almost the same clock speed for the same price.

Absolutely. The 430 is ~1.75x faster than the 520 at stock. Glad you noticed in time :)

kaptainkarl1
06-09-12, 09:09 AM

I have stuck 2 pci 430 gts and a pcie 430 gt in this rig. I have a pci x 1 slot and am wondering what if any issues I will run into if I slam one of these in the slot?

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=ZT-G520_X1&c=FR&pid=7f0cba4e151fb43bdf024ef0149f7e32df7bc5fa27a79d 00572d56a012033750

The rig still has the stock PSU and heat isn't an issue. Here is a link to the rigs stats page. I have been running Collatz as it leaves the CPUs free.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=hostbycpid&cpid=14e196801ca239f2bfb722d78963f19c

Just realized that I am purchasing half the cores on the 520 so I will be needing a converter. 1 x to pci or pciex16 any ideas?

John P. Myers
06-27-12, 01:13 PM
I have stuck 2 pci 430 gts and a pcie 430 gt in this rig. I have a pci x 1 slot and am wondering what if any issues I will run into if I slam one of these in the slot?

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=ZT-G520_X1&c=FR&pid=7f0cba4e151fb43bdf024ef0149f7e32df7bc5fa27a79d 00572d56a012033750

The rig still has the stock PSU and heat isn't an issue. Here is a link to the rigs stats page. I have been running Collatz as it leaves the CPUs free.

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=hostbycpid&cpid=14e196801ca239f2bfb722d78963f19c

Just realized that I am purchasing half the cores on the 520 so I will be needing a converter. 1 x to pci or pciex16 any ideas?

Sorry for the long delay for an answer to this :/

There would not be any issue with putting a 520 in your x1 slot. The adapters increase the mounting height of the card so you'd need a low profile 430 to still be able to screw the card down at the rear slot. And adapters aren't free. But if you have a dremel or a soldering iron, you can remove the end cap of the PCIe x1 slot for nothing more than the cost of the electricity to run the tools. Then you can stick a PCIe x16 card in the x1 slot. Easy peasy :p

Here's a video discussing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_9eUbBU1cY

kaptainkarl1
06-27-12, 02:03 PM
Thanks John!

Now where is that Dremel?...

John P. Myers
09-29-12, 09:23 PM
Oh no! I can't find these at Newegg anymore ;( I've got 3 empty PCI slots still ;( ;( ;(

kaptainkarl1
09-29-12, 11:18 PM
Oh no! I can't find these at Newegg anymore ;( I've got 3 empty PCI slots still ;( ;( ;(

I was getting them at Comp USA. With the rebate it was cheaper than Amazon or New Egg.

John P. Myers
09-29-12, 11:43 PM
I was getting them at Comp USA. With the rebate it was cheaper than Amazon or New Egg.

Not anymore. Newegg says they're discontinued and CompUsa wants $76 apiece (10% more than Newegg) for what they have left. Found some on eBay for ~$72 + $7 shipping. I'll have another chat with Zotac monday and see if they'll make a gt 620/630 PCI card :/

kaptainkarl1
09-30-12, 11:51 AM
Not anymore. Newegg says they're discontinued and CompUsa wants $76 apiece (10% more than Newegg) for what they have left. Found some on eBay for ~$72 + $7 shipping. I'll have another chat with Zotac monday and see if they'll make a gt 620/630 PCI card :/

I thought I found some pcix1 cards from them somewhere. 430 if I remember correctly. Don't know if you could stick that in a PCI slot or not.

Pope Dan
07-27-13, 10:42 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-ZT-40605-10L-GeForce-GT-430-Fermi-512MB-64-bit-DDR3-PCI-VIDEO-CARD-/170987614158?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27cfa7efce

c303a
07-27-13, 12:29 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130886

Here is a EVGA GT 430 but it is 128 bit and is fan cooled. Same price (refurbished) and with FREE shipping.

John P. Myers
07-27-13, 09:19 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130886

Here is a EVGA GT 430 but it is 128 bit and is fan cooled. Same price (refurbished) and with FREE shipping.

No no no :p Pope Dan has it right. The one you've linked is PCIe, not PCI. No reason to buy a GT 430 PCIe since you can get a GT 630 or 640 for those slots on the cheap. But for a PCI slot the GT 430 is still the best there is.

There were some GT 630s made for PCI, but they were OEM only and can't be purchased anywhere :(

c303a
07-28-13, 09:43 AM
No no no :p Pope Dan has it right. The one you've linked is PCIe, not PCI. No reason to buy a GT 430 PCIe since you can get a GT 630 or 640 for those slots on the cheap. But for a PCI slot the GT 430 is still the best there is.

There were some GT 630s made for PCI, but they were OEM only and can't be purchased anywhere :(

Sorry, I mis-read. Back to school for me. I hav e to agree that you don't want a PCI-E for a PCI slot. Of course that might be another use for a Big Hammer!

John P. Myers
07-28-13, 05:22 PM
Of course that might be another use for a Big Hammer!
*checks watch*

Yep...shouldn't be long now before Duke posts a picture of this big hammer...

c303a
07-28-13, 05:44 PM
I forgot that we have to watch what we say when The Duke is around.:D:D:D

Duke of Buckingham
07-28-13, 06:49 PM
I forgot that we have to watch what we say when The Duke is around.:D:D:D

http://www.dashe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/computer_confusion002-300x207.jpg

:o Not me about computers my friend.

By the way what is a PCI thing? :confused:

John P. Myers
10-18-13, 06:21 PM
Since Dirt has changed the WU length and their issued credits twice since this thread was started, thought i'd give an update.

GT 430 (PCI) stock app: 42,995 seconds = 50,610 credits/day
GT 430 (PCI) opti-app: 22,879 seconds = 95,108 credits/day

Will update with Primegrid PPS Sieve in a little while

cineon_lut
10-18-13, 07:42 PM
Since Dirt has changed the WU length and their issued credits twice since this thread was started, thought i'd give an update.

GT 430 (PCI) stock app: 42,995 seconds = 50,610 credits/day
GT 430 (PCI) opti-app: 22,879 seconds = 95,108 credits/day

Will update with Primegrid PPS Sieve in a little while

That beats:

nVidia 8800GT with Opti App (26,096 seconds)
ATI Radeon HD 5700 - no Opti available - (~25000 seconds)
ATI Radeon HD 5800 - no Opti available - (19,500 seconds) --not beat, but when you consider the low wattage and heat of the GT430...

I am thoroughly impressed with its PCI use, small form factor, low power requirements, and price tag about $35-40.

John P. Myers
10-18-13, 08:47 PM
PPS Sieve: 6,883 seconds = 42,315 credits/day

@Vic: yes they are great little crunchers for cheap. Also, it's not like there is any other use for a PCI slot anymore anyway. Might as well stick a GPU in it :)

E-30
10-29-13, 08:17 PM
love this card man i have one with my 520 gt and it out does it by allmost 2times

cineon_lut
10-29-13, 08:31 PM
love this card man i have one with my 520 gt and it out does it by allmost 2times

Awesome. What kind of WU times are you seeing on the current Seti@home challenge? Love those little cards.

E-30
10-30-13, 01:52 PM
2 hrs on the430 and 3 he on the 520

cineon_lut
10-30-13, 03:23 PM
2 hrs on the430 and 3 he on the 520

Interesting. Is that Astropulse or Setiathome_v7? My 8800GTs are doing 1 hour for S@H v7. I would figure the GT430 would easily meet or beat that.

E-30
10-30-13, 03:29 PM
SETI 7 it don't have the bandwidth for it it's PCI

John P. Myers
10-30-13, 06:48 PM
You sure you're not comparing a stock app to an opti?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

E-30
10-30-13, 06:59 PM
Both op I have them in the same box

E-30
11-01-13, 12:22 PM
at last figured it out they were running the op app 3.2 insted of the 4.2 so now we will see times go down i hope

E-30
01-03-14, 08:15 PM
did some e@h and the 520gt is betting it out by 3 hours for some reason the 430 is oc at 850 shader 1700 625 ram and the 520 is at 900 cpu 1800 shader and 525 ram

520 is doing 9 hrs
430 is going anyware for 11 to 13 hrs

E-30
01-24-14, 07:32 PM
well did some prime grid with the 430 and a 650 ti the 650 ti is doing right at 20mins to 23 mins and the 430 gt is doing 1 hr 20 mins

circeseye
01-28-14, 01:29 AM
guys since the one posted isnt in stock anymore i found this one with more ram for the same price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-ZT-40707-10L-GeForce-GT-440-Fermi-2GB-128-bit-DDR3-PCI-E-2-0-VIDEO-CARD-/181079807993?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

he also has the 430's

Mumps
01-28-14, 07:28 AM
Well, the point was the 430 was the best PCI card available. The link you got here is for a PCIe card. Plenty of better options for low power PCIe cards. But those of us still keeping systems without PCIe limping along were happy to have found an option better than a 8800GT. :)

Fire$torm
01-30-14, 11:39 AM
What about the ZOTAC ZT-60604-10L GeForce GT 610 (Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500262))?

Edit: nm, half the cores of the 430. Boooooo.

Found some refurbished ZOTAC ZT-40605-10L GeForce GT 430s (Here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-ZT-40605-10L-GeForce-GT-430-Fermi-512MB-64-bit-DDR3-PCI-VIDEO-CARD-/170987614158)), priced the same as new IIRC :(

dave c
04-28-14, 07:41 AM
so is this still the best pci card u can get at a pretty cheap price?

MindCrime
04-28-14, 02:05 PM
I picked up a socket 775 motherboard with an albatron ti4600, and well i've been shopping for agp cards on ebay/Craigslist to replace it but I think you might be on to something... I have 3 open pci slots and temps are going to be an issue this summer. I think a PCI card for that machine and a 750ti for this one.

Also I'd like to mention the gt 430 has double precision, while a lot of cards in its power or performance class don't.

John P. Myers
04-30-14, 02:56 AM
so is this still the best pci card u can get at a pretty cheap price?

Yep nothing faster has been made for a standard PCI slot yet, and at this point probably never will.

@MindCrime: Yes the 430 has DP, but it would be so excruciatingly slow you'll be better off pretending it doesn't. If you're looking for DP, buy AMD, not Nvidia :)

dave c
04-30-14, 03:09 PM
Yep nothing faster has been made for a standard PCI slot yet, and at this point probably never will.

thanks going to order up 2 of them today

dave c
05-06-14, 01:35 PM
so my cards will be here in a day , what projects are u guys using these to crunch for?
currently im only doing seti and collatz if they work out well i may pick up a few more as i have a bunch of pci only machines

John P. Myers
05-07-14, 02:29 AM
They're good for Collatz. Decent points there. Much more than Seti@home pays. Plus we've got a competition in Collatz starting soon anyway :D

dave c
05-07-14, 03:37 PM
good to know , once i see how well they do maybe ill have to help out with the compitetion.
btw how many cards can u stick in one machine before it slows them down due to the pci bus

John P. Myers
05-08-14, 09:01 PM
good to know , once i see how well they do maybe ill have to help out with the compitetion.
btw how many cards can u stick in one machine before it slows them down due to the pci bus

That depends on your CPU and which project your running on the GPUs. If you're going to fill every PCI slot with one of these, then you may need to question your power supply as well. These 430's don't use much power, but a bunch of them together may push the standard low-end power supplies to their limit.

You will probably find that not crunching any CPU tasks, allowing it to feed the GPUs only, will give you the best results. And credit-wise this is the best plan too, since the 430's will do much more work than your CPU.

dave c
05-09-14, 01:18 AM
my cards arrived but i havent been to the post office to pick them up yet , ill grab them in the afternoon when im on lunch from work
should be a really nice upgrade for my dell 3000's wish i would have known about these sooner as last month i just purchased some older geforce cards to stick in them so i could atleast watch movies and online videos , atleast i only paid like 14.95 for the geforce 6200 cards i bought

dave c
05-09-14, 06:59 PM
first run with a single zotac did not last long at all , with 0 overclocking i only made it 7 mins into the first collatz wu
froze the pc up solid , so i do a hard shutdown and put my hand on the card and the heatsink is red hot

i think i have a few problems here
#1 is the card sits upside down in my case ( heatsink on the bottom )
#2 is i had the card in the very bottom slot near the base of the case , i did this so i didnt have to rearange my other cards for the time being

im going to pull out my cd/dvd burner and put it back in upside down , and do the same with my harddrive so i can actually stick the tower upside down so the video cards heatsink is on the top
and then ill rearange my other pci cards so i can put them in a better slot

i did pull some fans of an old pentium 2 slot cpu/heatsink and they will screw directly to the zotac heatsink so i may add those , only problem is i have no 3 pin connectors to plug them in , so i may see if a regular case fan can be mounted on the heatsink sinc ei have a few that will plug into the normal power connectors from the psu instead of splicing the small fans into an unused plug

i will say this the collatz mini wu was estimated to finish in 35 minutes thats only 1 minute more then my ati radeon 6620g on my amd machine
so if i can make both cards work and run solo wu's i think i can pull down alot of credits a day

and i do love this card i did go on second life for a bit to test it , my old evga geforce 6200 would run only at minimum , the zotac is rated 5 out of 7 for video score and runs great in med high settings

dave c
05-09-14, 11:39 PM
gpu-z is reporting a temp of 65-67*c with the card running second life , havent tried to crunch with it yet as now that i changed its slot i need to update the drivers again
safe enough or should i go throw a fan on it?

dave c
05-10-14, 01:07 AM
updated to the latest drivers and within 5 mins of crunching temps hit 75*c and computer locked up again
any ideas guys?

DrPop
05-10-14, 02:42 AM
Hi Dave, honestly 75C is pretty normal for the GPUs I'm running. I've never owned that particular GPU, but mine (crunching) are all in the 80s and doing well. GPUs get much hotter than CPUs.

Not sure if the temp is locking you or something else. Did you try any other project or other type of WU? Which type of Collatz WU did you try, OpenCL or CUDA?

dave c
05-10-14, 01:20 PM
Hi Dave, honestly 75C is pretty normal for the GPUs I'm running. I've never owned that particular GPU, but mine (crunching) are all in the 80s and doing well. GPUs get much hotter than CPUs.

Not sure if the temp is locking you or something else. Did you try any other project or other type of WU? Which type of Collatz WU did you try, OpenCL or CUDA?

the wu's are mini colatz (cuda55)
whats another project i can try

ok on the temp i thought it was a lil high as my other computers sit right around 65*c when crunching

Al
05-10-14, 01:36 PM
I've got 2 430s (pci-e) and they can run in the 80 - 90c range without any issues. Like DrPop, I don't think it's a heat issue.

dave c
05-10-14, 01:52 PM
I've got 2 430s (pci-e) and they can run in the 80 - 90c range without any issues. Like DrPop, I don't think it's a heat issue.

im going to swap them into a different computer and see what happens , this computer has a 500w psu but im only using a single ide hd , single dvd drive , and its a very basic p4 2.8hgz machine so shouldnt be much power draw

i have another with a 650w psu ill see if that makes any difference but i doubt thats the issue either

i can also try playing a game that would drive the card pretty hard and see if that also causes it to lock up the pc

dave c
05-11-14, 02:15 AM
no change , what driver version are u guys using? bad cards maybe?

John P. Myers
05-11-14, 08:50 AM
My 430 is using driver 335.something :p I honestly can't recall if I ever ran collatz on it though, but distrtgen and primegrid worked fine. Your temps aren't too high but maybe the issue is being caused by the other cards you said you had in there?

dave c
05-11-14, 04:03 PM
My 430 is using driver 335.something :p I honestly can't recall if I ever ran collatz on it though, but distrtgen and primegrid worked fine. Your temps aren't too high but maybe the issue is being caused by the other cards you said you had in there?

i pulled out all other pci cards, its still locking up , i will give it a go with another project and see what happens

Fire$torm
05-11-14, 05:10 PM
Here is my GT430 on Collatz Mini

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3595745/Misc/GT-430-A.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3595745/Misc/GT-430-B.gif

zombie67
05-11-14, 06:21 PM
With all the other cards removed, do a driver uninstall, run a driver scrubber, then install of the driver.

dave c
05-11-14, 08:35 PM
With all the other cards removed, do a driver uninstall, run a driver scrubber, then install of the driver.

thanks will try that

is anyone using this card on windows xp? or are u all on windows 7?

John P. Myers
05-11-14, 11:46 PM
I've used it on both, but currently on XP though not running. I have that computer down during the Pentathlon because i ran out of ethernet cables that are long enough and too lazy to go get one. Plus we don't need another GPU in the Pentathlon anyway so it hasn't been a priority. I'll turn it back on within a week or so.

Al
05-12-14, 12:48 AM
I have that computer down during the Pentathlon because i ran out of ethernet cables that are long enough and too lazy to go get one.
You could have picked one up when you were out a Taco Bell getting breakfast...you where out anyway.

dave c
05-12-14, 01:14 AM
ok i think i finally have it running stable , i disabled the cuda40/55 apps and am running the open cl app im at 5 mins run time with no freeze yet

i really would like to wire up some fans on this thing the case gets pretty hot with only one card inside and i plan on adding the second one
the only fans i have that will fit and mount properly to the heatsink are old pentium 2 slot processor fans , u know those lil 2 inch square fans?
they are 3 pin connectors red,yellow and black , i assume i only need to wore the red and black to the red and black on the psu's 4 pin connectors ( drive connectors)

anyone know for sure?

dave c
05-12-14, 01:48 AM
sucess only thing is it got to 97*c before i shut it down

heres my fan mod
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/lethalrides2k3/IMG_3240_zpsea47c7fd.jpg

and the card is cruising along at sub 50*c
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/lethalrides2k3/3_zps5a631fcf.gif

now time to overclock it

dave c
05-12-14, 03:12 AM
thanks again guys shes humming along nicely now
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/lethalrides2k3/5_zpse044838a.gif

i think a few more of these may be in order

edit how far can u push these cards
not sure if i want to try to oc this anymore though the card is staying very cool
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/lethalrides2k3/6_zps04e2c05a.gif

John P. Myers
05-12-14, 06:37 AM
Your temps will increase noticeably when you add more cards. Best not to OC

dave c
05-12-14, 06:47 AM
with the gpu running at 960mhz instead of 700mhz im only seeing 62*c max.
when i get out of work today i will add fans to the second card and put that in and then monitor temps

i will say those 2 tiny fans have droped temps by 40*c over what it ran without being oc , if those fans werent on there with it being oc'ed im sure temps would be well above 115*c , i will keep an eye on it though though once the second card goes in , i will propally cut my cases side panel an add a second case fan as currently im running it with the side panel off the case

dave c
05-12-14, 06:58 PM
wow that card has more then dbled my daily credit before i put that card in i was about 45k a day , its only been half a day and ive already put up 76k , should be real nice once i get that second card up and running tongiht

Fire$torm
05-13-14, 07:36 PM
That is good news DC. Congrats.

dave c
05-13-14, 08:43 PM
That is good news DC. Congrats.
yup its doing pretty well , i just cant get bionic to use both cards at the same time for some reason , is there a setting i need to change?

DrPop
05-13-14, 08:58 PM
yup its doing pretty well , i just cant get bionic to use both cards at the same time for some reason , is there a setting i need to change?

Yes. On some systems it will work automatically. On others, you must add this under Options in the CC_Config.xml file in the C:\programdata\BOINC\ directory:

zombie67
05-13-14, 09:21 PM
Also make sure that BOINC sees both cards. You can see this in the event log when boinc starts.

dave c
05-19-14, 08:18 AM
Also make sure that BOINC sees both cards. You can see this in the event log when boinc starts.

i got it working but using both cards at the same time results in a system hang everytime after about 5 mins of run time
see the heatsink nexto the cpu socket ,this was getting super hot so i added a fan hoping it would cure the system hang now the heatsink stays cool to the touch , but i still get the system hang after a few minutes
i even tried disabling the onboard video , and sticking a geforce 6200 in the 3rdslot and using that so i wouldnt have to use the onboard or zotac cards for video

was hoping i could load these machines with the cards but looks like only 1 per machine will work properly or atleast be stable

Fire$torm
05-20-14, 02:13 AM
i got it working but using both cards at the same time results in a system hang everytime after about 5 mins of run time
see the heatsink nexto the cpu socket ,this was getting super hot so i added a fan hoping it would cure the system hang now the heatsink stays cool to the touch , but i still get the system hang after a few minutes
i even tried disabling the onboard video , and sticking a geforce 6200 in the 3rdslot and using that so i wouldnt have to use the onboard or zotac cards for video

was hoping i could load these machines with the cards but looks like only 1 per machine will work properly or atleast be stable

I think part of the issue could be the PSU Dell spec'd for that system. Dell is notorious for under powering their systems. IMO the reason being is to induce the need for replacement parts (at highly inflated prices) sooner rather then later. Since the average Dell customer has the blue collar mentality of "Only Dealer Replacement Parts" thanks to decades of the Detroit Big 3 propaganda, most never look beyond Dell.

Anyhoot back on track. x2 GTX 430 could be enough of a power draw in your Dell to cause a slight voltage drop, which would result in system lockup.

dave c
05-20-14, 03:04 AM
I think part of the issue could be the PSU Dell spec'd for that system. Dell is notorious for under powering their systems. IMO the reason being is to induce the need for replacement parts (at highly inflated prices) sooner rather then later. Since the average Dell customer has the blue collar mentality of "Only Dealer Replacement Parts" thanks to decades of the Detroit Big 3 propaganda, most never look beyond Dell.

Anyhoot back on track. x2 GTX 430 could be enough of a power draw in your Dell to cause a slight voltage drop, which would result in system lockup.
it kind of sucks as i have a handfull of these machines and i was thinking the cards since they are so cheap would make these nice crunchers.
i did check the psu's and they are infact tiny , im just going to gut the cases and go back with some cheap fx 6 or 8 core cpus in all 3 of the dells im using
i have 3 of these dell machines that i actually use though one is currently just a media server for my xbox and tvs for streaming movies,so the upgrade will work out nice on the 2 i use for daily computer use

for anyone else using these cards a single small fan on the cards heatsink drastically increases how much ive been able to over clock the card, and the mini fans are very quiet

John P. Myers
05-20-14, 05:23 AM
The GeForce 6200 would not work. The driver for the GT 430 is not compatible with the driver for the 6200 and you can't have more than 1 Nvidia driver at the same time.

Fire$torm
05-20-14, 01:06 PM
The GeForce 6200 would not work. The driver for the GT 430 is not compatible with the driver for the 6200 and you can't have more than 1 Nvidia driver at the same time.

Oh, I was under the impression he was running multiple 430s not mixing GPU types. My mistake.

dave c
05-20-14, 02:39 PM

i wasnt mixing the nvidia cards , at first i had the 2 gt430's in the system only , adding the 6200 was a last ditch effort to try to get the system from hanging, and as u said it didnt work

John P. Myers
05-20-14, 06:02 PM
I think F$ possibly right about the power supply being weak. Loldell usually only gives you an extremely inefficient 200W, and the CPU uses about 70W of that by itself.

dave c
05-20-14, 09:16 PM
I think F$ possibly right about the power supply being weak. Loldell usually only gives you an extremely inefficient 200W, and the CPU uses about 70W of that by itself.

after he mentioned the psu i checked it out its only a 300W unit , im sure i have a few 5 or 600w laying around but im not going to bother with it , im just going to stick the other card in the other dell and call it good for now since i only have the 2 cards at this time it wont matter if they are in the same pc or 2 different ones