PDA

View Full Version : Yeah kill those ads

coronicus
03-28-12, 11:39 AM
Been trying to kill ads and spam crap for a long time and finally found something that works without having to purchase something or install some freeware crap that comes with ads. lmao.. I dont want ads.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

finally no more crap poping up on stuff im trying to read.. no more wanna date a christian, really, am i to believe that this isnt spam.

Bok
03-28-12, 12:07 PM
You do know they help pay for the sites (this one included).

Without the ad revenue I'd likely close down all of my websites (not that it pays the monthly bills by any stretch).

Slicker
03-28-12, 12:33 PM
Adblock works quite well in FireFox/WaterFox, can be enabled or disabled for specific sites, and is free

coronicus
03-28-12, 12:52 PM

Without the ad revenue I'd likely close down all of my websites (not that it pays the monthly bills by any stretch).

Oh, Bok.. this was by no means an attempt against your site in anyway.. The way you got the ads setup its doesnt bother me in any way and wasnt what started me into looking for ad blockers.. The site in particular that actually spawned a search for ad blocking was tomshardware as well as past experience in searching for info on the net.. I dont recall how many times while looking for answers to questions i get lead to sites that have spamware, spyware, trojans and all that evil nasty stuff. Even search engines dont have an option to remove sites from ever being listed in the search and i dont understand why.. I tried something from google but it only hides them. I do have a recomendation for all websites is there anyway you can setup a way were if we donate the ads come off.

Bok
03-28-12, 01:24 PM
I could do that on the stats site, as it's all written from the ground up - as long as you were logged in to the free-dc forum at the time (as that's the only way I'd know who it is browsing). I used to do this for my own user.

But for vBulletin itself, there might be a mod for it, probably is, but I haven't specifically looked for one.

Oh, Bok.. this was by no means an attempt against your site in anyway.. The way you got the ads setup its doesnt bother me in any way and wasnt what started me into looking for ad blockers.. The site in particular that actually spawned a search for ad blocking was tomshardware as well as past experience in searching for info on the net.. I dont recall how many times while looking for answers to questions i get lead to sites that have spamware, spyware, trojans and all that evil nasty stuff. Even search engines dont have an option to remove sites from ever being listed in the search and i dont understand why.. I tried something from google but it only hides them. I do have a recomendation for all websites is there anyway you can setup a way were if we donate the ads come off.

trigggl
03-28-12, 01:36 PM
Flashblock will take care of most of them. Most flash content not at a site such as YouTube is adds. Also, if you really want to view the add, you can click on it to allow it.

John P. Myers
03-28-12, 09:28 PM

It's not the ads themselves that annoy me. It's just the ones that popup and suddenly cover what you just started reading. I don't see how anyone can click on an ad like that being so disruptive and trying to force you to notice it. The banner ads, like the one at the top of this window right now, is trying to get me open my very own 7-11 store, which isn't allowed here in Arkansas :p But it's not a popup. Just a banner that sits there innocently. And there's a cute woman in it so i don't mind too much :)

Duke of Buckingham
03-29-12, 02:51 AM
I have banner also and the banner has woman also, do you want to see?

http://jokeyomama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Fat-Women-21.jpg

Do you want to change banners?

Duke:p

John P. Myers
03-29-12, 08:10 AM
Do you want to change banners?

Duke:p

I saw that and was about to install banner blocking software but puked on my keyboard before i could

spingadus
03-29-12, 08:26 AM
oh the horror!

coronicus
03-29-12, 01:54 PM
I could do that on the stats site, as it's all written from the ground up - as long as you were logged in to the free-dc forum at the time (as that's the only way I'd know who it is browsing). I used to do this for my own user.

But for vBulletin itself, there might be a mod for it, probably is, but I haven't specifically looked for one.

That would be sweet and i think you would get more folks to donate. maybe setup a counter for the amount you donate like a dollar for so much time without banners, I would love to see sites do this just make it cheap enough for us dollar challenged folks =))

I was trying to find out which ads you used so i could remove it from the host file but i dont know what im looking for.. If you got time or someone else that know what they are doing could let us know we could all re-enable em for ya... Like JPM said its not the banners that bother me its the pop up that drive me nuts... Thanks again BOK for everything and the last thing i wanna do is make it harder for you to pay for hosting..