PDA

View Full Version : hey folks

invisy
03-31-12, 04:38 AM
newbie to all this but glad to have my PC doing something for the greater good.
any and all info will be greatly appreciated
thanks bill

Cruncher Pete
03-31-12, 06:25 AM
Hi Bill. Thanks for joining us and welcome. In order to give you some pointers we need to know what operating system system you are using and what projects if any you are currently working on as well as what type of Graphycs Processor (GPU) is in your system.. We'll get you going...

Mike029
03-31-12, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the team and the Forum.. Also let us know what projects you like. Space, Bio-med, Math, Physics, etc.

coronicus
03-31-12, 12:02 PM
Hiya, Welcome to the Team... We are here to help so don't hesitate to ask. We also do chalenges, if your interested let us know.

Fire$torm
03-31-12, 06:15 PM
Hello Bill (invisy),

Happy to make your acquaintance. Thanks for joining. Have a look around and make yourself at home. Enjoy.

invisy
03-31-12, 07:44 PM
Hi Bill. Thanks for joining us and welcome. In order to give you some pointers we need to know what operating system system you are using and what projects if any you are currently working on as well as what type of Graphycs Processor (GPU) is in your system.. We'll get you going...

Windows 7 pro x64
AUSUS mob
AMD phenom II black 3.00 GHz 4 core
12 gig ram
on board video new card soon to arrive
i am also helping rosetta@home
anything else you need let me know.

invisy
03-31-12, 08:30 PM

found the on board graphics
ATI Radeon HD4250
Video Memory 1GB

artemis8
04-01-12, 09:15 AM
Hello, and welcome to the team. It's pretty cool to be able to do a relatively easy thing to help the world in some way. Glad you found us.

spingadus
04-01-12, 09:27 AM
Welcome!

Crazybob's Son
04-02-12, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the team! Glad to have you here. Make sure to join FreeHAL (http://www.freehal.net/freehal_at_home/) and WuProp (http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/) as they are non-cpu intensive and basically free credits.

Jason aka Crazybob's Son

Crazybob
04-02-12, 05:37 PM
Welcome aboard Invisy! Unfortunately I don't think your onboard 4250 will crunch, but I could be wrong. If you have any questions at all, post away and we will be happy to see what we can do for you.

invisy
04-04-12, 09:44 AM
Welcome aboard Invisy! Unfortunately I don't think your onboard 4250 will crunch, but I could be wrong. If you have any questions at all, post away and we will be happy to see what we can do for you.

ok i am now confused as the bionic client shows 1200+ credit is this the same as crunching if not what type GPU card would you recommend for this system
Win7 Pro X64
12 gig ddr3
AUSUS M488T-M mob
amd penomII black edition cpu
4 core to be updated to 6 core soon
any help would greatly appreciated

Thanks Bill:-B

Crazybob's Son
04-04-12, 05:23 PM
ok i am now confused as the bionic client shows 1200+ credit is this the same as crunching if not what type GPU card would you recommend for this system
Win7 Pro X64
12 gig ddr3
AUSUS M488T-M mob
amd penomII black edition cpu
4 core to be updated to 6 core soon
any help would greatly appreciated

Thanks Bill:-B

What my father is referring to is that some projects use the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) to run their applications. The 1200+ credit you are seeing in BOINC is most likely from the CPU. This allows you to run multiple projects side-by-side.

What is the username you used for your account? With that, we could take a look at your credits and better assist you.

As far as a recommendation on GPU for the system, your motherboard only has one PCI-e x16 slot so you would want to put the best card in there as possible (and the budget can afford). If you are ATI biased, make sure it is a double precision card (5800 series, 6900 series, etc) as this will give you the best credit there. For the Nvidia, I am not up to date on how high those cards go at the moment. Since you are only using the onboard video at the moment, basically anything you put in there (that is on the list of Boinc Compatible GPU's (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=COmlndUK&key=0AqCMiOAyW0eBdHdWRDlkZ2xHeUxDQ0E1TVQtVkI3ckE&hl=en&authkey=COmlndUK#gid=0)) will drastically increase your computing power and your credits will skyrocket.

- Jason aka CBS

invisy
04-05-12, 11:17 AM
What my father is referring to is that some projects use the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) to run their applications. The 1200+ credit you are seeing in BOINC is most likely from the CPU. This allows you to run multiple projects side-by-side.

What is the username you used for your account? With that, we could take a look at your credits and better assist you.

As far as a recommendation on GPU for the system, your motherboard only has one PCI-e x16 slot so you would want to put the best card in there as possible (and the budget can afford). If you are ATI biased, make sure it is a double precision card (5800 series, 6900 series, etc) as this will give you the best credit there. For the Nvidia, I am not up to date on how high those cards go at the moment. Since you are only using the onboard video at the moment, basically anything you put in there (that is on the list of Boinc Compatible GPU's (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=COmlndUK&key=0AqCMiOAyW0eBdHdWRDlkZ2xHeUxDQ0E1TVQtVkI3ckE&hl=en&authkey=COmlndUK#gid=0)) will drastically increase your computing power and your credits will skyrocket.

- Jason aka CBS

same as here invisy i will get a GPU but would like one with at least 1gig memory just let me know what i need to order

Thanks

invisy
04-06-12, 07:35 AM

- Jason aka CBS

i have found these since i'm unemployed i have to go with lower budget cards so here are two tell me what you think they are on the bionic compatible page

#1 ASUS HD7750-1GD5 Radeon HD 7750 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x DVI, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, CrossFireX Ready, Eyefinity, Overclocked
http://tinyurl.com/6nyg7t8

#2 MSI R5770 HAWK Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, DVI, Display Port, HDMI
http://tinyurl.com/7ufe2ca

coronicus
04-06-12, 08:24 PM
HD5770
Collatz 95,706
Donate 267,562
PG 69,346
Moo 156,130

these are the stats im getting with the 5770 but i dont have a 7750. I believe someone on the team had purchased one but dont recall who that was. My personal opinion is to wait for a good deal on a 7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402 $140. The concern for me on the 5770 is that is doesnt do double percision meaning milkyway is out of the pictures. And im not sure about this open cl stuff with boinc 7. but i will let you know how it goes when i try to get it running with dirt.

invisy
04-07-12, 10:06 AM
HD5770
Collatz 95,706
Donate 267,562
PG 69,346
Moo 156,130

these are the stats im getting with the 5770 but i dont have a 7750. I believe someone on the team had purchased one but dont recall who that was. My personal opinion is to wait for a good deal on a 7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402 $140. The concern for me on the 5770 is that is doesnt do double percision meaning milkyway is out of the pictures. And im not sure about this open cl stuff with boinc 7. but i will let you know how it goes when i try to get it running with dirt.

Great Thanks
i can afford the one in you link $149 is in my ball park i ordered it just now:cool:

Crazybob's Son
04-12-12, 08:13 AM
Great Thanks
i can afford the one in you link $149 is in my ball park i ordered it just now:cool:

You've got the "I need more credit/day bug" already... Awesome! Just be careful that bug multiplies quickly and turns into more components, computers, etc.

CBS

Mike029
04-12-12, 08:29 AM
Great Thanks

Congrats.. Great card that will bring you huge credits and also play most games on high settings. Can't wait to see the stones flying when you get that puppy running.

invisy
04-12-12, 08:46 AM
Congrats.. Great card that will bring you huge credits and also play most games on high settings. Can't wait to see the stones flying when you get that puppy running.

well i have it installed and running now i need help to maximize for every thing i can throw at it
i'm not a gamer so my rig is at your disposal
ASUS M488T-M mob

amd phenom II 4core 6core upgrade soon

16gig ram
Win7 x64
help please!! i need to crunch crunch crunch

Thanks bill

coronicus
04-13-12, 03:32 AM
well i have it installed and running now i need help to maximize for every thing i can throw at it
i'm not a gamer so my rig is at your disposal
ASUS M488T-M mob

amd phenom II 4core 6core upgrade soon

16gig ram
Win7 x64
help please!! i need to crunch crunch crunch

Thanks bill

Well if you wanna see what your max rac in credit would be then throw Dirt on the cpu and then attach Donate for the gpu. Usually you have to set the %processor to leave one core for the gpu but i think the way donate is setup up it will do this for ya.. make sure your using 12.3 or better on the amd drivers for the gpu and im not sure if you will need the latest boinc 7 but you'll find out soon enough.. After that its all about what you wanna crunch and have fun playing around...