PDA

View Full Version : Minimum BOINC Version for ATI Crunching

Maxwell
04-02-12, 01:50 PM
With all these additions to GPU crunching lately, I'm beginning to get confused. I'm rocking BOINC 6.10.58, and I don't know if I'm not getting WUs because of my BOINC version or because the project doesn't have WUs. So, can y'all help me fill in the blanks?

MW: 6.x.x
Collatz: 6.x.x
Moo: 6.x.x
PG: 6.x.x
Donate: 6.x.x
WCG:
DiRT: 7.x.x
Poem: 7.x.x
Albert: 7.x.x
SETI: 7.x.x
SETI_b: 7.x.x

Fire$torm
04-02-12, 02:08 PM
With all these additions to GPU crunching lately, I'm beginning to get confused. I'm rocking BOINC 6.10.58, and I don't know if I'm not getting WUs because of my BOINC version or because the project doesn't have WUs. So, can y'all help me fill in the blanks?

PG:
WCG:
DiRT:

PG: 6.x.x (At least for PPS Sieve)
WCG:
DiRT: 6.x.x

Slicker
04-02-12, 02:31 PM

PG:
WCG:
DiRT:

BOINC 6.x.x = CUDA/CAL/Brook+
BOINC 7.x.x = OpenCL support added

Prior to 7.x.x, some projects made OpenCL apps for AMD/ATI but since BOINC didn't support OpenCL, they just named them ATI apps so the BOINC scheduler would send work. That has caused some confusion because if a user is running BOINC 6.x.x and a recent Catalyst version, the project will send it work only to have it fail since the older GPUs (e.g. HD 3870) don't support OpenCL even if they have the latest drivers. Or, a user may have an older driver that doesn't include the OpenCL runtime and even though the GPU supports OpenCL, the app will fail due to the missing driver. In theory, that is all fixed with BOINC 7.x.x which reports whether each GPU supports both CAL and OpenCL as separate attributes.

AFAIK, The PG apps were OpenCL apps named as if they were ATI apps. I believe DiRT is the same. I don't know for sure about WCG but my guess is that the apps are OpenCL as well.

Maxwell
04-02-12, 04:05 PM
Thank, F$.

That's what was confusing me... I knew some projects had OpenCL ATI apps, but would work with 6.x.x, and I knew some projects had OpenCL apps that required 7.x.x. That clarifies it - thanks Slicker!

Anyone know requirements for WCG? Their page didn't mention requiring 7.x.x...

Also, does DiRT just not have many ATI WUs? Or do I need to do something special to get them to run on the cards?

Slicker
04-02-12, 05:05 PM
Also, does DiRT just not have many ATI WUs? Or do I need to do something special to get them to run on the cards?

DiRT has had a variety of issues and seems to send out GPU work in batches in order to control their disk space until their new servers are ready.

Per their news: "An ATI/OpenCL app version is in early alpha stages and this challenge will be helpful in seeing if we can handle full 24/7 CPU+GPU where ATI will be added in the future." To me, that seems to imply that it isn't available yet and may be a manual install for their "PGish" challenge starting 4/7/2012. Then again, they have an opencl_ati_101 app listed so it should get work if they added it to their sched_customize code on their server.

zombie67
04-03-12, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Maxwell;37346Also, does DiRT just not have many ATI WUs? Or do I need to do something special to get them to run on the cards?[/QUOTE]

I am getting ATI work. I had to check the "Run test applications?" box.

Maxwell
04-03-12, 03:22 PM
@Z - Checked that box, still nothing. 20k WUs still available, but nothing on the ATI cards. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm still grumpy at it.

Also, am I missing any ATI projects?

Fire$torm
04-03-12, 04:03 PM
@Z - Checked that box, still nothing. 20k WUs still available, but nothing on the ATI cards. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm still grumpy at it.

Donate@Home - ATI/AMD & nVidia (Link (http://donateathome.org/))

Note: Will not run on WinXP hosts.

zombie67
04-03-12, 06:12 PM

Are you running 7.0.24? That is the one you should be using.

ATI projects: SETI, SETI Beta, Albert

Maxwell
04-05-12, 01:33 AM
Donate@Home - ATI/AMD & nVidia (Link (http://donateathome.org/))

Note: Will not run on WinXP hosts.
Please punch me in the face. I forgot the project I'm currently running?!? :mad:

Are you running 7.0.24? That is the one you should be using.

ATI projects: SETI, SETI Beta, Albert
Thanks for those... forgot about Albert, didn't realize the other two.

And really? I have to upgrade? *tear* ;)

spingadus
04-09-12, 08:41 PM
Looks like boinc 7.0.25 is the new official public boinc version, no longer beta.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php