PDA

View Full Version : Getting the PPSieve WUs to run on ATI cards

Maxwell
11-24-10, 01:55 AM
Ok. Just figured this one out, so I'm posting a how-to for you folks with ATI cards on how to get this subproject to run (which will be helpful for the final PG challenge...). Before you attempt any of this, make sure you have closed BOINC (and this is intended for Windows systems):

1. MAKE SURE YOUR ATI DRIVER HAS OPENCL SUPPORT!!! I was consistently getting errors, and an LAF member on the PG boards pointed out to me that the driver I was using didn't have OpenCL support. Once I upgraded, everything was fine. I'm using driver 10.10, which has OpenCL support. 10.7 does not, 10.11 (oddly) does not. Before installing/upgrading drivers, make sure you have this support. [Note: MW, DNETC, and Collatz were not written in OpenCL, so they don't run into this problem.]
2. Download this (http://www.primegrid.com/download/primegrid_tpsieve_1.35_windows_intelx86__ati13ati. exe) executable file (it's safe) from the PG website and save it to your desktop.
3. Navigate to your BOINC Data Directory, projects folder, PG folder. Drop the executable from step 2 in there.
4. Open Notepad.
5. Paste this (thank you .Steve/Paladin/Poorboy for posting this) into Notepad and save it to the same folder as in Step 3 with the file name "app_info.xml":

<app_info>
<app>
<name>pps_sr2sieve</name>
<user_friendly_name>Proth Prime Search (Sieve)</user_friendly_name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>primegrid_tpsieve_1.35_windows_intelx86__ati13ati. exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>pps_sr2sieve</app_name>
<version_num>135</version_num>
<plan_class>ati13ati</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>0.05</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
<flops>1.0e11</flops>
<coproc>
<type>ATI</type>
<count>1</count>
</coproc>
<cmdline></cmdline>
<file_ref>
<file_name>primegrid_tpsieve_1.35_windows_intelx86__ati13ati. exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
</app_info>
6. Make sure your PG preferences allow ATI WUs to be downloaded.
7. Restart BOINC.

Should work...

Maxwell
11-24-10, 03:40 AM
A couple have validated now...

1800 credits each. ~1800s on the 5970 at 725MHz, ~1300s at 850MHz.

Fire$torm
11-24-10, 04:09 AM
Thank you Maxwell for the info.

Now just need work as PG's server tells me.....
11/24/2010 4:10:25 AM PrimeGrid Requesting new tasks for GPU
11/24/2010 4:10:50 AM PrimeGrid Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
11/24/2010 4:10:50 AM PrimeGrid Message from server: No work sent
11/24/2010 4:10:50 AM PrimeGrid Message from server: No work is available for Proth Prime Search (Sieve)
11/24/2010 4:10:50 AM PrimeGrid Message from server: _("No work available for the applications you have selected. Please check your project preferences on the web site.")

Beerdrinker
11-24-10, 07:07 AM
Ok. Got this to work also.

After doing the above steps, I instantly got 21 GPU tasks.

So I am back on my fav. project...PG....

Maxwell
11-24-10, 10:37 AM
Now just need work as PG's server tells me.....
I haven't had trouble getting work since I got the ATI app... BOINC is reading the app_info file, yes? And you have ATI work selected on the PG site, right? (Forehead-smack questions first... ;) )

trigggl
11-24-10, 10:51 AM
Whoops! Redundant post. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fire$torm
11-24-10, 12:02 PM
Whoops! Redundant post. Nothing to see here. Move along.

These aren't the droids your looking for.........

Fire$torm
11-24-10, 12:04 PM
Question: Has anyone tried running two wu's concurrently like you can with MW?

Maxwell
11-24-10, 01:08 PM
Question: Has anyone tried running two wu's concurrently like you can with MW?
I haven't, but people have. It's not too useful because the WUs are much longer. If you're interested, change "count" to .5 in the app_info file above...

Fire$torm
11-24-10, 01:13 PM
I haven't, but people have. It's not too useful because the WUs are much longer. If you're interested, change "count" to .5 in the app_info file above...

Yeah, I did that about ten minutes after I posted the question. so far no "crash n' burn" :P I did notice that one wu crunches slower than the other but any increase in production is good!
BTW: My two nVidia cards cranked out more credits than the rest of my mini farm combined. Yes, yes, I know. Apples n' Oranges......

Mike029
11-24-10, 01:21 PM
Thank Max I'm crunching away now. I'm finding that it take my 5870 about 21 minutes and my 4870 about 43 minutes to complete a WU. How is everyone else making out? Also do I need to bump up the memory for these or leave them low like Milk?

Maxwell
11-24-10, 01:26 PM
Thank Max I'm crunching away now. I'm finding that it take my 5870 about 21 minutes and my 4870 about 43 minutes to complete a WU. How is everyone else making out? Also do I need to bump up the memory for these or leave them low like Milk?
Leave 'em low. And, since it's a less efficient app (running ~80% load), you can probably OC your cards higher for PG...

Fire$torm
11-24-10, 02:40 PM
I also noticed that my 4850 runs much cooler crunching PG than it does with MW. For now though I have put my ATI back on MW. I won't abandon that fight \m/ PG has replaced DNETC on my nVidia cards.

Thanks again Maxwell for the info. Good work.

Beerdrinker
11-24-10, 05:07 PM
Looks like it favours Nvidia/Cuda.....

DrBob
11-24-10, 06:04 PM
Looks like it favours Nvidia/Cuda.....Without a doubt, great credit for CUDA, not the best for ATI. Also from what I'm seeing the ATI app needs around 12% CPU compared to less than 1% for CUDA, this will cut into your CPU projects. :(

Maxwell
11-24-10, 06:21 PM
Without a doubt, great credit for CUDA, not the best for ATI. Also from what I'm seeing the ATI app needs around 12% CPU compared to less than 1% for CUDA, this will cut into your CPU projects. :(
Agreed. But for 3 days, I'll run it...

Bryan
11-25-10, 02:29 AM
Agreed. But for 3 days, I'll run it...

Yep! I'll upgrade to CAT 10.10 when I get home from Hawaii and get the cards setup :D

Beerdrinker
11-25-10, 02:39 AM
Yep! I'll upgrade to CAT 10.10 when I get home from Hawaii and get the cards setup :D

Sounds great Bryan...

I am actually thinking about getting myself a cheap CUDA card, since PG is one of my all time favourites.....But X-mas is just around the corner and lots to spend money this month.....

Argh....Desicions desicions....

Fire$torm
11-25-10, 04:32 AM
Sounds great Bryan...

I am actually thinking about getting myself a cheap CUDA card, since PG is one of my all time favourites.....But X-mas is just around the corner and lots to spend money this month.....

Argh....Desicions desicions....

You could just put the card on your wife's hint list for your x-mas present *-:)

Shadowlurker
11-25-10, 10:45 AM
It seems that even with the temporary credit increase that the other ATI projects still pay better, for nVidia cards this is the motherload until they adjust the credits again. My pair of 275's was getting about 90k a day on GPUGrid, now getting over 300k a day.

trigggl
11-25-10, 12:17 PM
It seems that even with the temporary credit increase that the other ATI projects still pay better, for nVidia cards this is the motherload until they adjust the credits again. My pair of 275's was getting about 90k a day on GPUGrid, now getting over 300k a day.I have a 9800GT and it got 50K yesterday. The best I could do before that was 20K at dnetc. A former team mate gave me the card. Of course if your ATI is doing better than that, there's no reason to get one unless you have an open slot somewhere. Maybe it will help some team mates to invest if they find out that one of these cheapos can help them that much. It takes me 57 min to complete a task.

EDIT: It's sad when I can read my own post and have trouble figuring out the relevance and what it is I'm trying to say.

zombie67
12-01-10, 09:13 PM
I finally got it to work! I tried installing 10.10, no good. Then I tried removing all the ATI driver stuff, rebooting, then running driver cleaner, then installing 10.10. All FAIL. Maybe because I had two 5870s? No idea. So I did some more reading on the PG forum. Someone suggested 10.11 APP (there are two versions, get the APP one). Ding! Crunching away!

Edit: Some credit comparisons. Numbers are credits/hour:

Win 7 Dual 5870:
DNETC - 24784 (single task uses both GPUs)
PG - 14050 (7025 per card); 57% of DNETC

XP64 single 5870:
DNETC - 13539
PG - 8031; 59% of DNETC

XP46 single 4870
DNETC - 4515
PG - 3172*; 70% of DNETC
*Only one task returned at the time

So it looks like there is less of a loss in credits with the 4870 than with the 5870. But either way, it is a drop compared to DNETC.

Still, this is going to be SWEET for the next challenge!

Teratoma
12-02-10, 03:41 PM
Has anyone tried running both ATI and CPU tasks? I would like to run othe subprojects on the CPU and PPS Sieve on the GPU. Just wondering if it would work. The only problem would be keeping the app_info up to date every time a cpu app gets updated.

Maxwell
12-02-10, 04:54 PM
Has anyone tried running both ATI and CPU tasks? I would like to run othe subprojects on the CPU and PPS Sieve on the GPU. Just wondering if it would work. The only problem would be keeping the app_info up to date every time a cpu app gets updated.
I have not, but that's one of my projects. I'll post when I get it done. ;)

thepossum1
12-03-10, 03:58 PM
I will be back to read this--got new lappy and have it on Primegrid. It says it has ATI Radeon graphics, so.........:)

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-07-10, 09:52 PM
I've been reading this thread and the one on BOINC GPU compatibility and have not had any luck getting my ATI HD 4650 card to work. I've tried it on Collatz and PG using 10.10, 10.11, the regular driver and the APP driver. I also tried the steps listed in post one of this thread. Not sure what to do next.

Maxwell
12-08-10, 02:44 AM
I've been reading this thread and the one on BOINC GPU compatibility and have not had any luck getting my ATI HD 4650 card to work. I've tried it on Collatz and PG using 10.10, 10.11, the regular driver and the APP driver. I also tried the steps listed in post one of this thread. Not sure what to do next.
Since I can't find it on short notice, can you point to the thread where you're discussing this? What error messages are you seeing?

Fire$torm
12-08-10, 03:25 AM

Sorry to hear that GH. I have had issues trying to get my 4850 to crunch Collatz in that I had a hard time getting work form the project server. Sometimes it would take HOURS before I would get anything.
Anyhow, try crunching DNETC with your card since it is not a finicky project. If you can crunch that then you should be able to crunch PG & Collatz.

Shadowlurker
12-08-10, 10:17 AM
When I set my 5870 up to crunch PG it did not immediately start downloading units, but I was no longer getting error messages so I just left it overnight and at some point it started grabbing WU's.

Slicker
12-08-10, 10:31 AM
When I set my 5870 up to crunch PG it did not immediately start downloading units, but I was no longer getting error messages so I just left it overnight and at some point it started grabbing WU's.

Ahhh. I see you've discovered some of the problems with the BOINC scheduler. Sneaky little devils to find and fix. From the latest posts to the boinc email lists, you will be sorry to hear that they still aren't fixed in the most recent 6.12.x version. As they make the BOINC scheduler "smarter" it makes more and more mistakes and makes it more difficult to find and fix the problems. Some people will never admit that K.I.S.S. works.

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-08-10, 06:00 PM
Since I can't find it on short notice, can you point to the thread where you're discussing this? What error messages are you seeing?

Here (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?378-BOINC-GPU-Compatibility-List/page3)is the GPU thread.

When I try to run PG, I get "Unrecoverable error for result pps_xxx ( - exit code - 150 0xffff6a))"

When I try to run Collatz, I think the exit code was ( 1 ). Both error off with computation errors. I haven't tried any other projects. I wonder if the Sapphire brand card may have some differences that cause the errors.

Mr. Hankey
12-08-10, 06:47 PM
Here (http://setiusa.free-dc.org/vbforum/showthread.php?378-BOINC-GPU-Compatibility-List/page3)is the GPU thread.

When I try to run PG, I get "Unrecoverable error for result pps_xxx ( - exit code - 150 0xffff6a))"

When I try to run Collatz, I think the exit code was ( 1 ). Both error off with computation errors. I haven't tried any other projects. I wonder if the Sapphire brand card may have some differences that cause the errors.

All my cards are Sapphire... I have had no issues with them.

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-08-10, 09:25 PM
All my cards are Sapphire... I have had no issues with them.

I don't know then. I guess it's a problem with the drivers. I got the 10.10 and 10.11 from the ATI (AMD) site. I'm running Win 7 32bit. Oh well. I'd like to get this working before the PG challenge on the 18th.

Mr. Hankey
12-08-10, 10:22 PM
Well I upgraded to CAT 10.11 and I am still getting errors. It looks like it is a WU issue only affecting ATI cards. See this PG post here:

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=2867#28807

Fire$torm
12-09-10, 12:16 AM
Well I upgraded to CAT 10.11 and I am still getting errors. It looks like it is a WU issue only affecting ATI cards. See this PG post here:

Thanks for the link. So the real problem are broken wu's. Unfortunately the project managers do not wish to flush their cache instead insisting that crunchers muddle through the bad sh_t until everything gets processed by capable (read nVidia) cards.
I would suggest just not running that project until they fix the problem.

Mike029
12-09-10, 01:25 AM
I followed Max's outline and all the problems I was having ended. After seeing all the problems I've restarted pg to see if it still works. I've been running it for 2 days now without any issue. I'm running 2 cards in one box. Asus HD 4870 and Sapphire 5870 using Vista Ultimate 64. The 4870 takes over 40 mins. to complete a wu and the 5870 takes about 18 mins. to finish. I'm at work now but will post my drivers and the xml file later today. I hope it helps.

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-09-10, 01:40 AM
Well, I never have gotten PG working so I tried DNETC. That works ok. Maybe when the reported bad WUs flush out at PG I'll have better luck.

zombie67
12-09-10, 10:00 AM

You tried the APP versions of CAT? Just double checking...

Mumps
12-10-10, 11:18 PM
OK. Maybe this will help someone else out there...

I just received a brand new 5770 and installed it.
I was receiving error -150's on all my ATI GPU WU's.

<message>
- exit code -150 (0xffffff6a)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
Sieve started: 3259927000000000 <= p < 3259930000000000
Thread 0 starting
Detected 160 multiprocessors (800 SPUs) on device 0.
Error: Building Program (clBuildProgram): Program build failure
Catastrophic error: cannot open source file "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\OCLB.tmp.cl": not
a regular file

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\OCLB.tmp.cl".
Compilation terminated.

21:16:02 (3612): called boinc_finish
Turns out the problem was permissions on the C:\Windows\Temp folder. By default, the system wasn't allowing the boinc_project user to write the temporary program into the folder to compile it for the GPU. At a Command prompt as an admin, I simply did a:

cacls C:\Windows\Temp /E /T /G boinc_project:F
cacls C:\Windows\Temp /E /T /G boinc_master:F
And the WU's are now running successfully.

This is on a Windows XP, 64 Bit system with Catalyst 10.10 with the OpenCL SDK installed. (Note: I also had to run the "Custom" Install rather than "Express," even though I downloaded the full package with the OpenCL components. "Express" chose not to install them.)

Those permissions are a little loose, but in the temp folder, that shouldn't be much of a risk.

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-11-10, 02:39 PM
OK. Maybe this will help someone else out there...

I just received a brand new 5770 and installed it.
I was receiving error -150's on all my ATI GPU WU's.

<message>
- exit code -150 (0xffffff6a)
</message>
<stderr_txt>
Sieve started: 3259927000000000 <= p < 3259930000000000
Thread 0 starting
Detected 160 multiprocessors (800 SPUs) on device 0.
Error: Building Program (clBuildProgram): Program build failure
Catastrophic error: cannot open source file "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\OCLB.tmp.cl": not
a regular file

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\OCLB.tmp.cl".
Compilation terminated.

21:16:02 (3612): called boinc_finish
Turns out the problem was permissions on the C:\Windows\Temp folder. By default, the system wasn't allowing the boinc_project user to write the temporary program into the folder to compile it for the GPU. At a Command prompt as an admin, I simply did a:

cacls C:\Windows\Temp /E /T /G boinc_project:F
cacls C:\Windows\Temp /E /T /G boinc_master:F
And the WU's are now running successfully.

This is on a Windows XP, 64 Bit system with Catalyst 10.10 with the OpenCL SDK installed. (Note: I also had to run the "Custom" Install rather than "Express," even though I downloaded the full package with the OpenCL components. "Express" chose not to install them.)

Those permissions are a little loose, but in the temp folder, that shouldn't be much of a risk.

Wow, that may be just what I've been looking for. I'm running Win 7 32bit. I get the same exit - 150 but not the detail about what file and directory is the problem. How do you open a "CMD" window as admin? I get a message "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."

The Boinc message says "[sched_op_debug] Reason: Unrecoverable error for result pps_sr2sieve_5106245_2 (exit code - 150 (0xffffff6a))"

Perhaps you could find out what is needed for Collatz also. I suspect the same kind of problem.

Thanks a lot.

Bryan
12-11-10, 09:10 PM
Okay since you experts have this all figured out, the question is to app_info or not to app_info. My systems run either way, is there a reason to run the app_info?

Fire$torm
12-11-10, 09:29 PM
Okay since you experts have this all figured out, the question is to app_info or not to app_info. My systems run either way, is there a reason to run the app_info?

My humble advice, if you do not see an increase in production with the app_info file than your system is fine without it. I would recommend checking up on it once a day just in case the project wizards update the app. X_X

Mumps
12-12-10, 11:27 AM
Wow, that may be just what I've been looking for. I'm running Win 7 32bit. I get the same exit - 150 but not the detail about what file and directory is the problem. How do you open a "CMD" window as admin? I get a message "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."
Hmmm. Well, in this case, Win 7, go to
Start->All Programs->Accessories
and Right-Click->Command Prompt
You can then select to "Run as Administrator"

The Boinc message says "[sched_op_debug] Reason: Unrecoverable error for result pps_sr2sieve_5106245_2 (exit code - 150 (0xffffff6a))"

Perhaps you could find out what is needed for Collatz also. I suspect the same kind of problem.

Thanks a lot.
I looked up your hosts over at PG and I think I've found the one with problems. It doesn't look like the same problem I had. You can get those more detailed results by looking at the results from a specific WU from your system. (Click on "Task Details" on your Task list on the PG website.)

<stderr_txt>
Sieve started: 4314907000000000 <= p < 4314910000000000
Thread 0 starting
Error: Creating Context. (clCreateContextFromType): Device not found.
13:53:47 (2140): called boinc_finish

</stderr_txt>
BOINC isn't installed as a service on that machine, is it? (AKA Protected mode install...) So, I wonder why BOINC thinks it sees the device, (it wouldn't D/L GPU WU's if it didn't) but then the Project has issues accessing it. Unless, you're using Max's instructions with the app_info. So BOINC grabs the WU's even though it didn't find a GPU. But I don't think PG would report a GPU in the Hosts list if BOINC hadn't seen it. Strange.

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-12-10, 12:35 PM
Hmmm. Well, in this case, Win 7, go to
Start->All Programs->Accessories
and Right-Click->Command Prompt
You can then select to "Run as Administrator"

I looked up your hosts over at PG and I think I've found the one with problems. It doesn't look like the same problem I had. You can get those more detailed results by looking at the results from a specific WU from your system. (Click on "Task Details" on your Task list on the PG website.)

<stderr_txt>
Sieve started: 4314907000000000 <= p < 4314910000000000
Thread 0 starting
Error: Creating Context. (clCreateContextFromType): Device not found.
13:53:47 (2140): called boinc_finish

</stderr_txt>
BOINC isn't installed as a service on that machine, is it? (AKA Protected mode install...) So, I wonder why BOINC thinks it sees the device, (it wouldn't D/L GPU WU's if it didn't) but then the Project has issues accessing it. Unless, you're using Max's instructions with the app_info. So BOINC grabs the WU's even though it didn't find a GPU. But I don't think PG would report a GPU in the Hosts list if BOINC hadn't seen it. Strange.

No luck with the cacls. Apparently it has been superceeded with icacls and the syntax is different. I'm not a Windows expert.

The program wasn't installed as a service. Boinc can see the GPU and I am running DNETC while I'm trying to get the PG working. Not sure what to do next. I do appreciate your working with me on this. I did try running with and without the app_info file.

Fire$torm
12-12-10, 04:11 PM
GH have you tried deleting the PrimeGrid project folder to reset the project? (I call this method a Hard Reset).
If the problem is a Windows permission thing you could try changing user ownership of BOINC's folder and sub-folders. Its a minor chore to do it Microsoft's way or you can use a free registry hack called Take Ownership. (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/) I have it on my system and it works 99% of the time.

Mumps
12-13-10, 08:30 PM
No luck with the cacls. Apparently it has been superceeded with icacls and the syntax is different. I'm not a Windows expert.
Interesting. On both my Win7 64bit systems, cacls is available and works, it just warns that it's deprecated. (Deprecated means it'll work, but don't expect it to work after the next patch/update/upgrade. :)) ) And I don't recall manually copying it across from a WinXP installation. Here's the icacls syntax...

icacls C:\Windows\Temp /T /Grant boinc_project:F
icacls C:\Windows\Temp /T /Grant boinc_master:F

Mike029
12-13-10, 11:36 PM
Question, would it be a good idea to run the "p3 b-1" in the CMD line for this challenge?

Maxwell
12-14-10, 12:42 AM
Question, would it be a good idea to run the "p3 b-1" in the CMD line for this challenge?
I can't see why it wouldn't... though you'd have to change your app_info file if they ever change the app...

zombie67
12-14-10, 02:12 AM
Well, I finally resorted to a full HD wipe and fresh xp64 install. Still fail. -117.

DrPop
12-14-10, 11:56 AM
Wow, that's some dedication, Zombie! I really feel for you. Can the guys over at PG that admin the forums help at all in a case like this? Surely they must be curious (at the very least), why their program won't run on so many rigs...

Mike029
12-14-10, 01:49 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't... though you'd have to change your app_info file if they ever change the app...

This PG seems to be such a fickle program I'm scared to change anything for fear it'll stop working. I get wu's, I crunch wu's, I better leave well enough alone.

Maxwell
12-14-10, 02:37 PM
This PG seems to be such a fickle program I'm scared to change anything for fear it'll stop working. I get wu's, I crunch wu's, I better leave well enough alone.
Have you checked your account to make sure none of them are erroring out?

Bryan
12-15-10, 02:36 AM
I reported earlier that I was having problems with my 5970s under Win 7 Pro having a high number of wu finish as invalid. It was actually 42%. I was running CAT 10.10.

Tonight I installed CAT 10.12 Beta and my problems went away. Both machines now validating all wu just like the dual 5870s which run CAT 10.10 under Vista.

I don't know if it is a function of the 5970, Win 7 versus Vista, or the old dual Xeons versus a quad but I'm quite happy now :D

Fire$torm
12-15-10, 03:53 AM
I reported earlier that I was having problems with my 5970s under Win 7 Pro having a high number of wu finish as invalid. It was actually 42%. I was running CAT 10.10.

Tonight I installed CAT 10.12 Beta and my problems went away. Both machines now validating all wu just like the dual 5870s which run CAT 10.10 under Vista.

I don't know if it is a function of the 5970, Win 7 versus Vista, or the old dual Xeons versus a quad but I'm quite happy now :D
Most Excellent news. Keep that furnace stoked for the challenge. Crunch on!

DrPop
12-15-10, 01:15 PM
That's awesome, Bryan! I would highly recommend everyone with PG "issues" to at least try the new 10/12 drivers. I just installed them on both my 58xx series rig and Kat's 48xx series rig, and they are working perfect.

Great news!:cool:

Beerdrinker
12-15-10, 01:40 PM
That's awesome, Bryan! I would highly recommend everyone with PG "issues" to at least try the new 10/12 drivers. I just installed them on both my 58xx series rig and Kat's 48xx series rig, and they are working perfect.

It sounds like we are ready to party very soon!!

Harley
12-15-10, 03:24 PM

I installed the 10.12 drivers on 12/13 and I used driver sweeper first! Still having the same problems! This box must be cursed. :((

Shadowlurker
12-15-10, 09:38 PM
I think they had some bad wu's I had about a dozen that errorred out, none before, and none since. It looked like they were all version 1.36 as opposed to 1.37.

On the plus side, I installed my 570's and have gotten the first couple wu's back. My 275GTXs were doing a wu in about 1130 sec. First 2 wu's out of the 570s were done in 335 sec.

Me Likee :cool:

Maxwell
12-15-10, 09:55 PM
I installed the 10.12 drivers on 12/13 and I used driver sweeper first! Still having the same problems! This box must be cursed. :((
I just got around to testing this today. Uninstalled the old drivers, ran driver sweeper, installed 10.12 APP, and with stock settings, I have yet to get a PG error. 25 WUs without a problem...

Bryan
12-15-10, 10:58 PM
On the plus side, I installed my 570's and have gotten the first couple wu's back. My 275GTXs were doing a wu in about 1130 sec. First 2 wu's out of the 570s were done in 335 sec.

Me Likee :cool:

Wish we had more of those! That is about 3X faster than a 5870!!! My 5970s at 925M are doing about 1025 and the 5870s at 965 are doing 960s.

Harley
12-15-10, 11:42 PM

YES,YES,YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it working. 2 more 5970's ready for the challenge! Looking good. I have them clocked at 935 with no errors.

Maxwell
12-15-10, 11:54 PM
YES,YES,YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it working. 2 more 5970's ready for the challenge! Looking good. I have them clocked at 935 with no errors.
I'm always a fan of those magical dances that get computer stuff working. Congrats!!! :cool:

Harley
12-16-10, 12:10 AM
I'm always a fan of those magical dances that get computer stuff working. Congrats!!! :cool:

Thanks Max. \:D/

Groundhog@SETI.USA
12-16-10, 12:49 AM
Ok, what is driver sweeper? I'll give the 10.12 a try but I guess I need to clean up the existing drivers first.

Fire$torm
12-16-10, 12:56 AM

Good to hear.

Maxwell
12-16-10, 01:07 AM
Ok, what is driver sweeper? I'll give the 10.12 a try but I guess I need to clean up the existing drivers first.
Driver Sweeper cleans out all the residual file from prior driver installs. Helps avoid "issues" with installs. Uninstall driver, run Driver Sweeper, install new driver. Should make it standard practice... ;)

You can download it here (go for version 2.7.5): http://www.phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/View-category

Bryan
12-16-10, 10:27 AM
Okay the verdict is in: Run the app_info with count set to .5! I see a 4% increase in GPU loading AND it directly translates to 4% lower wu run times! My 5870s dropped from 960s per wu to 922s.

I also set the cmdline to p3 b-1 but I have no idea if that actually does anything. It doesn't hurt though.

DrPop
12-16-10, 06:36 PM
Interesting. Do you think it's worth trying the opti_app on either of our rigs? Mine w/ dual 58xx and Kat's w/ dual 48xx. If you think it's worth it I'll give it a whirl tomorrow after work - I mean 4% is 4%...If we lose by that much I'd be grumpy that I didn't do it! :D

DrPop
12-16-10, 11:10 PM
In a last-ditch effort to help anyone still having problems with the ATI cards and PG's app, here's a PM I just got from Harley, posted with his permission:

What I had - 10.12 with CCC beta. [NOTHING had worked for him at this point]

What I did - Step by step.
1) Removed 10.12 by using the 10.12 download.
2) Rebooted into safe mode.
3) Used driver sweeper in safe mode to remove remaining ati bits and pieces.
4) Rebooted normal mode.
5) Installed CCC 10.11 Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP).
6) Rebooted normal mode.
7) Downloaded and installed CCC 10.12 Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP). NOT THE BETA VERSION OF CCC.
I did this without removing any part of 10.11.
8) Rebooted.
Started Boinc and everything worked. That's it.

I hope this helps. Harley.

Bryan
12-16-10, 11:59 PM
Any of you whizards have an app_info for ATI that will crunch both CPU and GPU? I would rather someone give me one rather than me having to actually think through it ;) Every time I try to think it gets me into trouble.

Shadowlurker
12-17-10, 07:59 AM
Not I, I stole somebody elses just to get my 5870 to work.

Mike029
12-17-10, 06:11 PM
Apti App is the way to go. Thanks Bryan.
Running wu's 1 at a time took my 18 mins to complete on my Duel ATI 5870's. Running 2 at a time took me 32 mins to complete 2 so running 2 at a time knocked 4 mins off my times. Not bad

I'm running the cards at 940 Clocks 550 mem. without boosting the voltage. I'm going to run this for the next bunch of wu's to check for errors. Temps are 70 & 62.
Only program I could use to modify the clock and mem. was the Ray Adams program. CCC and Afterburner would not let me go above 900 clock or below 900 mem. What other program works to get around this problem?

Bryan
12-17-10, 06:38 PM
Only program I could use to modify the clock and mem. was the Ray Adams program. CCC and Afterburner would not let me go above 900 clock or below 900 mem. What other program works to get around this problem?

MSi AfterBurner is an excellent OC tool for ATI or Nvida. One quirk though ... to drop memory down to like 450 you have to start MSI AB, drop move the slider to the left, hit apply, and then exit MSI AB. Then restart MSI AB and repeat the above till you get it where you want it. Be sure you don't check the apply settings at MSI start up or you will never get there :)