PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding reinstalling BOINC

Crazybob's Son
04-04-12, 01:38 PM
I have quite a few machines that have Version 6.10.__ of BOINC and wanted to reinstall to Version 6.12.__ of BOINC. Since they both house the project information in the same place will it wipe out all wu's that I have currently downloaded or will it just update boinc and stay attached to everything (as well as BAM)?

Fire$torm
04-04-12, 02:12 PM
I have quite a few machines that have Version 6.10.__ of BOINC and wanted to reinstall to Version 6.12.__ of BOINC. Since they both house the project information in the same place will it wipe out all wu's that I have currently downloaded or will it just update boinc and stay attached to everything (as well as BAM)?

You can install a newer version over what you have without losing all your accounts.

To be on the safe side
1) Backup your entire BOINC & BOINC Data folders
2) Unplug your system from the internet
3) Install new version of BM over current installed version
4) Reboot and run BOINC. If all is well then reconnect you system to the net. If the install goes fubar then delete the BOINC & BOINC data folders and restore your backups.

Note: One big caveat to the above. If you install any version of BM 7.x.x you cannot revert back to any version of BM 6.x.x. later.

Crazybob's Son
04-04-12, 02:20 PM
You can install a newer version over what you have without losing all your accounts.

To be on the safe side
1) Backup your entire BOINC & BOINC Data folders
2) Unplug your system from the internet
3) Install new version of BM over current installed version
4) Reboot and run BOINC. If all is well then reconnect you system to the net. If the install goes fubar then delete the BOINC & BOINC data folders and restore your backups.

Note: One big caveat to the above. If you install any version of BM 7.x.x you cannot revert back to any version of BM 6.x.x. later.

Cool, I will try that tonight or sometime tomorrow.

No issues with 7.x.x installation, I just want to install up to the 6.12.34 version so it is in line with the other machines I have with that version.

Bryan
04-04-12, 08:30 PM
I just shut down BOINC and go into the control panel and Uninstall BOINC. It doesn't remove the project folders etc. Then install the new version and it will pick up where the other one left off. I've done this many ... many times without a problem.

As pointed out though, if you upgrade to 7.x.x and revert back you will lose all your wu.

Maxwell
04-05-12, 01:19 AM
And while we're on this subject, would upgrading BOINC screw with BoincTasks in any way? If I were to upgrade my Boinc client, would something break with my BoincTasks setup? Please say no...

Fire$torm
04-05-12, 01:21 AM
And while we're on this subject, would upgrading BOINC screw with BoincTasks in any way? If I were to upgrade my Boinc client, would something break with my BoincTasks setup? Please say no...

Nope. No problem there. Happy? LOL

Maxwell
04-05-12, 01:35 AM
Nope. No problem there. Happy? LOL
If you weren't so far away, I would kiss you on the mouth. Hooray!