PDA

View Full Version : Punching in...

rfinley
04-06-12, 05:01 PM
Hello teammates. I am getting started with seti@home and this seems like the team to be on. I am a bit shy but friendly. Feel free to msg me anytime. I can be found lurking around freenode under the nick "average_guy".

kheinicken
04-06-12, 08:13 PM
Welcome,

Poke around and if you have any questions please do search or post here too.

Lots of brain power here.

Fogle
04-06-12, 09:18 PM
Hey Welcome to the team, look around plenty of stuff happening here. :cool:
What type of projects do you like to crunch?

rfinley
04-06-12, 11:15 PM
Right now I am only doing seti@home work. I have done some poking around and see several other projects out there but I guess I feel like it would be better to dedicate all of my resources to one project. Right? Why do you guys spread your stuff out rather then dominate one?

Mike029
04-07-12, 12:12 AM
Welcome to the team and thank you for joining. Most of us started on Seti@home. Now we crunch all kids of projects. Take a look around and if you have any questions just ask.

artemis8
04-07-12, 12:47 AM
Welcome to the team, glad to have you here. Many of us started with SETI and have since expanded our horizons (I know did). If you have any questions this is a great group of folks to ask.

Beerdrinker
04-07-12, 01:43 AM
Hey there.

WELCOME to the team!

Fogle
04-07-12, 09:47 AM
The only reason why I crunch so many different projects is to keep it intresting. It's kind of boring at least for me to just be on one project. Also I like this team and so I join in on the races, that generates a lot of enthusiam when your team is running neck & neck in a world wide race. I also like to check out the different projects and the science they are doing. Maybe you want to help find a cure for cancer or maybe help to map out the changing Milkyway. It's all here have fun and no matter what you crunch if your on our team any points in any project helps the team and humanity. :D

Mike029
04-07-12, 10:47 AM
The only reason why I crunch so many different projects is to keep it intresting. It's kind of boring at least for me to just be on one project. Also I like this team and so I join in on the races, that generates a lot of enthusiam when your team is running neck & neck in a world wide race. I also like to check out the different projects and the science they are doing. Maybe you want to help find a cure for cancer or maybe help to map out the changing Milkyway. It's all here have fun and no matter what you crunch if your on our team any points in any project helps the team and humanity. :D

Also, many of us run more than one computer. Some projects don't have work all the time so we have to crunch other things till they release work. The world wide challenges are the most fun for me.

rfinley
04-07-12, 01:52 PM
Hmm... worldwide challenges you say? I will have to look into that.

Fire$torm
04-08-12, 04:23 PM
Drats, I'm late..... Hello there and welcome to the team and the forum.

Crazybob's Son
04-09-12, 10:27 AM
I am a little late here, but welcome to the team! Glad to have you here.

+1 to all the comments above about running other projects. Also, there are some projects that are non-cpu intensive and run alongside the primary projects you run so they are basically free credits. A few are FreeHAL (http://www.freehal.net/freehal_at_home/) and WuProp (http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/).

There are some projects that run solely on the GPU (some projects only ATI cards, others only Nvidia, and some both), which also run alongside any projects running on the CPU. So in theory you could be running upwards of 4-5 projects simultaneously.

Jason aka Crazybob's Son

Crazybob
04-09-12, 03:37 PM
Welcome aboard!