PDA

View Full Version : Moo: Need app_info.xml w/ 7.x

zombie67
04-16-12, 01:17 PM
It turns out that Moo won't run on ATI with BOINC 7.x naturally. You need to use an app_info.xml. I am trying to run Moo now, and am running into this problem. I am sure some of us are already doing this. Can one of you please post your app_info.xml file?

Thanks!

spingadus
04-16-12, 01:26 PM
I'm not running an app info on moo and I have boinc 7

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zombie67
04-16-12, 01:36 PM
Odd. For me, and people on their forums, tasks download and then just sit there. They never run.

coronicus
04-16-12, 02:20 PM
wow im glad i havent updated boinc yet was to busy with prima bunkering..

spingadus
04-16-12, 03:10 PM
Odd. For me, and people on their forums, tasks download and then just sit there. They never run.

Moo! has been the most stable GPU project for my AMD HD 6970 since upgrading to 7. I've had issues with donate, poem and albert.

The only thing I can think of that I have done is to completely reinstall Boinc 7.0.25 and the AMD 12.3 drivers as well as run driver sweeper not too long ago.

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 03:31 PM
Hey Zombie I just tested it. No issues so far.

Win7 x64
BOINC 7.0.25
CCC 12.3
Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta15

Edit: No app_info file

zombie67
04-16-12, 05:06 PM
Yeah, both of my machines (one with dual 5870s, and one with a single 7970) will get tasks from moo, but not run them. And like I said, this problem is not unique to me. Other people in the forums are having the same problem. However, I did find an app_info.xml that does work. Don't let the app names throw you, like they did me (at first).

On a side note, is there any trick to getting moo to run on 7970s? Now that I have it running, I get nothing but errors with that GPU.

<app_info>
<app>
<name>dnetc</name>
<user_friendly_name>Distributed.net Client</user_friendly_name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>dnetc_wrapper_1.3_windows_intelx86__ati14.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>dnetc518-win32-x86-stream.exe</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>dnetc-gpu-1.3.ini</name>
</file_info>
<file_info>
<name>job-ati14-1.00.xml</name>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>dnetc</app_name>
<version_num>103</version_num>
<platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
<avg_ncpus>0.15</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>1.0</max_ncpus>
<plan_class>ati14</plan_class>
<flops>1157115231469.729200</flops>
<file_ref>
<file_name>dnetc_wrapper_1.3_windows_intelx86__ati14.exe</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>dnetc518-win32-x86-stream.exe</file_name>
<copy_file/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>dnetc-gpu-1.3.ini</file_name>
<open_name>dnetc.ini</open_name>
<copy_file/>
</file_ref>
<file_ref>
<file_name>job-ati14-1.00.xml</file_name>
<open_name>job.xml</open_name>
<copy_file/>
</file_ref>
<coproc>
<type>ATI</type>
<count>1.0</count>
</coproc>
</app_version>
</app_info>

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 06:04 PM
This is strange as I have never seen Moo not run on any of my 5xxx cards. Maybe it is an issue with the support files DL'd from the project server? I have zero experience with the 7xxxx cards. Tank_Master, Bryan or Ste\/e would be the ones to talk to.

BTW, you never mentioned your OS.

zombie67
04-16-12, 07:16 PM
My os is win7 64. It doesn't happen to everyone, and it is not card-specific. But for those that have the problem, the only solution is an app_info.xml.

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 07:48 PM
My os is win7 64. It doesn't happen to everyone, and it is not card-specific. But for those that have the problem, the only solution is an app_info.xml.

OK. And sorry you have had this experience. It is very strange. I wonder if it is OS specific? Can you post a link from the Moo thread discussing this please? I'm a tad tempted to try and duplicate the problem just to see.

zombie67
04-16-12, 08:00 PM
http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=243

http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=205

http://moowrap.net/forum_forum.php?id=10

Mumps
04-16-12, 08:06 PM
So, where is it posted what the minimum BOINC version is that Moo will run with? I've got one system at 6.10.18 that Moo says I need a newer version of BOINC to run. But after all this, I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to 7.x.x. :)

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 09:12 PM
So, where is it posted what the minimum BOINC version is that Moo will run with? I've got one system at 6.10.18 that Moo says I need a newer version of BOINC to run. But after all this, I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to 7.x.x. :)

I have been running Moo on 6.10.58 with my 5830s for many months.

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 09:39 PM
http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=243

http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=205

http://moowrap.net/forum_forum.php?id=10

Thx Z. I read through the first two and the third just referenced the the Number Crunching sub-forum. But I did go through a couple of interesting threads listed there. One post in the thread about one wu per GPU I copied and made into a sticky.

zombie67
04-16-12, 10:53 PM
Ah. The problem with any 7xxx on Moo is that the app is CAL. But 7xxx is opencl only, no cal support.

Fire$torm
04-16-12, 11:31 PM
Ah. The problem with any 7xxx on Moo is that the app is CAL. But 7xxx is opencl only, no cal support.

Then why the heck is Moo even sending it work? Oh well, at least you have an answer.

Edit: Err ummm... Come to think of it, I now seem to recall Bryan or Ste\/e mentioning something along that line.

Slicker
04-17-12, 11:13 AM
Then why the heck is Moo even sending it work? Oh well, at least you have an answer.

Edit: Err ummm... Come to think of it, I now seem to recall Bryan or Ste\/e mentioning something along that line.

The older BOINC server code just checked for the version of the driver and not whether CAL and/or OpenCL is supported. For some reason (probably because they could implement it faster), DA decided to make OpenCL a sub-class of ATI rather than a separate coprocessor type. So, if the server sees you have ATI (and you do because the OpenCL has to be reported as an ATI coprocessor) then it sends out ATI work.

The only fix is for Moo to add a check for OpenCL and CAL and figure out which app to send depending on whether the GPU supports one or the other or both.