PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop 1 gpu from crunching?

kaptainkarl1
04-25-12, 09:28 PM
Need to use 1 to watch streamed movies while the other crunches.

Fire$torm
04-26-12, 12:38 AM
Need to use 1 to watch streamed movies while the other crunches.

Do you want this to be a permanent thing or something enable and disable easily?

To make it a permanent setting use one of the following

<ignore_ati_dev>N</ignore_ati_dev>
ignore (don't use) a specific ATI GPU. You can ignore more than one. - *New in 6.10.19

<ignore_cuda_dev>N</ignore_cuda_dev>
ignore (don't use) a specific NVIDIA GPU. You can ignore more than one. *New in 6.10.19 (and only to be used till 6.12.41. )

<ignore_nvidia_dev>N</ignore_nvidia_dev>
ignore (don't use) a specific NVIDIA GPU. You can ignore more than one. Replaces <ignore_cuda_dev/> *New in 6.13.0
Reminder: Zero will disable device zero, it does not disable the line, only removal does. <ignore_nvidia_dev>1</ignore_nvidia_dev> will ignore the use of the second Nvidia GPU in the system.
Before 6.13.0, <ignore_cuda_dev/> was used. <ignore_nvidia_dev> was added to get it more in line with the specific <ignore_ati_dev>.

For temporary stuff I use a batch file that is activated using a shortcut. It will pause crunching and start the app I want. The batch file looks something like this

@ECHO OFF

CLS

:BEGIN

G:\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://moowrap.net/ suspend

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 3

G:\VLC\VLC.LNK

G:\BOINC\boinccmd --project http://moowrap.net/ resume

:END

The Choice command makes it real easy.
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice_%28command%29
TechRepublic: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/make-the-choice-command-work-for-you-even-in-windows-7/5234

kaptainkarl1
04-26-12, 08:42 AM
F$ as usual you rock!

I would like to have something temporary. And would use the batch file. BUT...As of now I have both GPUs running the same project. Could you could give me a tutorial on how to run different projects on different GPUs on the same system please?

Thanks for your help.

Fire$torm
04-26-12, 04:29 PM
F$ as usual you rock!

I would like to have something temporary. And would use the batch file. BUT...As of now I have both GPUs running the same project. Could you could give me a tutorial on how to run different projects on different GPUs on the same system please?

Thanks for your help.

OK but first I need to know two things
1) Which projects you wish to crunch

2) What cards are assigned to GPU0 and GPU1
Note: You can find that info in BOINC Manager messages near the beginning, around line 15. It will look something like
ATI GPU 0: Cypress (CAL version 1.4.1703, 1024MB, 991MB available, 4032 GFLOPS peak)

kaptainkarl1
04-26-12, 09:27 PM
F$

1. I would like to crunch say GPU Grid and Milkyway.
2. GPU 0 is a GTX 560ti and GPU 1 is a GT 440.

Thanks

Fire$torm
04-27-12, 05:35 PM
OK kaptainkarl1,

Here we go.........

Because you are running two CUDA cards in the same system it made things a little harder. So after thinking it over I decided you needed a different a different approach. I have attached a zip file with the files you'll need but I'm posting the explanation to hopefully make things clear.

Here is the batch file I came up with

Title GPU Pause

@ECHO OFF

CLS

:BEGIN

"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" --set_run_mode never 30

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 2

"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" --quit

IF EXIST C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml DEL C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

COPY C:\Storage\BOINC\config.2 C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 2

start "C:\Program Files\BOINC\BOINC" --detach_console

C:\Storage\shortcuts\MyShortCut.lnk

PAUSE

"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" --set_run_mode never 30

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 2

"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" --quit

IF EXIST C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml DEL C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

COPY C:\Storage\BOINC\config.1 C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml

CHOICE /N /D Y /T 2

start "C:\Program Files\BOINC\BOINC" --detach_console

:END

I made certain assumptions like BOINC is installed per its setup defaults, That you are running Win7 and not WinXP x32 and lastly you don't mind a few extra folders or editing text files.

Config.1 looks like this

<cc_config>
<options>
<start_delay>30</start_delay>
<network_test_url>http://www.yahoo.com/</network_test_url>
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
</options>
</cc_config>

And Config.2

<cc_config>
<options>
<start_delay>30</start_delay>
<network_test_url>http://www.yahoo.com/</network_test_url>
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
<ignore_nvidia_dev>0</ignore_nvidia_dev>
</options>
</cc_config>

Q: What does the batch file do?
A: It starts by pausing the BOINC core client (BOINC Manager is just a GUI for the core client) and then shuts it down. Next it deletes cc_config.xml and replaces it with the contents of the config.2. Now it will restart the BOINC core client and now BOINC will ignore GPU0, leaving it free to work elsewhere. The next action in the batch file is to start your Windows app.

Now after you are finished using the Windows app just click on the batch file window and press any key to allow it to undo the changes it made before and then exits.

Some things to note:
1) If you try to use the batch file on a WinXP Home Edition system it will not work right because of the DOS command "Choice". Choice does not exist in that version of Windows. I'm not sure about WinXP Pro x32.

2) If the BOINC folders are not located as indicated in the batch file then you will need to edit it accordingly.
*Example: The BOINC program folder = X:\Program Files\BOINC and BOINC Data folder = F:\NetShare\BOINC_Data
**A) Edit every occurrence of "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" to "X:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" (Keep the quote marks if any folder names have spaces ---> Program Files)
**B) Edit every occurrence of "C:\Program Files\BOINC\BOINC" to "X:\Program Files\BOINC\BOINC"
**C)Edit every occurrence of C:\ProgramData\BOINC\cc_config.xml to F:\NetShare\BOINC_Data\cc_config.xml

3) The line C:\Storage\shortcuts\MyShortCut.lnk should be edited to point to the shortcut for the app you want to use for Streaming. (Like in example "A" if any folder names have spaces then put quote marks at the beginning and end of the path string)

4) The batch command "Title" in the very first line in the batch file will display whatever comes after it in the command shell's (a.k.a. DOS Window) Title Bar. This is a handy reminder of what the window is if you have it minimized on the Windows Task Bar. And speaking of minimizing I have edited the included batch file's shortcut properties to minimize when it runs. This helps to keep the desktop uncluttered. Of course you can change its properties if you want it to behave differently.

5) The attached archive is setup to include the folder structure used in copy part of the batch file. This will spare you having to edit the batch file even more. Also included in the archive is a small collection of icons in their own folder. Use them to if you want help distinguish the batch file's DOS Window when it is minimized on the task bar. To make the change right-click on the batch file's shortcut, click properties, click "Change Icon" button and then navigate to your icon of choice and select it.

OK I'm done for now. Waaaaay more words then I thought I would use.......

Archive ---> http://www.filedropper.com/gpupause

F$

kaptainkarl1
04-29-12, 10:04 AM
F$

Wow! I am gonna need some time to sort this out. Seems rather complicated for someone like me. I am still just beginning to play around with the cc.config file.

Anyhow. Thank you once again for sharing your immense wealth of knowledge with a fellow team member.

I will be back here if I get myself in trouble.

Fire$torm
04-29-12, 02:22 PM
F$

Wow! I am gonna need some time to sort this out. Seems rather complicated for someone like me. I am still just beginning to play around with the cc.config file.

Anyhow. Thank you once again for sharing your immense wealth of knowledge with a fellow team member.

I will be back here if I get myself in trouble.

OK. My last post was mostly "How it works". The only work for you is unpack that archive and place the folder it makes labeled Storage in the root of your C: drive (C\Storage). The need to edit the paths arises because BOINC's install location varies with OS version. If I had a YouTube account I'd make a video, ack! why bother....

kaptainkarl1
04-29-12, 03:02 PM
Got it will give it a whirl when I get a second and come back to you if an issue arises. Thank you again F$.

pinhodecarlos
10-14-12, 07:22 AM
My question is somehow related to the thread title. How do I stop or disable permanently one core of a dual core? I want to run NFS@Home on a laptop with only 2 GB of memory and the 16e NFS@Home application uses 1 GB. The laptop stalls if I run 2 wu's at the same time. OS is Vista 32 bit. What xml file should I edit and where?

Thank you in advance,

Carlos Pinho

pinhodecarlos
10-14-12, 08:05 AM
I created a file called "cc_config.xml" with the following content

<cc_config>
<no_cpu>1</no_cpu>
</cc_config>

but nothing happens. It still uses 2 cores.

Mumps
10-14-12, 09:04 AM
I created a file called "cc_config.xml" with the following content

<cc_config>
<no_cpu>1</no_cpu>
</cc_config>

but nothing happens. It still uses 2 cores.

Close, but not quite. :)

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration

So it should be

<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>1</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

<ncpus>N</ncpus>
Act as if there were N CPUs; i.e. to simulate 2 CPUs on a machine that has only 1. To use the number of available CPUs, set the value to -1 (was 0 which in newer clients really means zero to e.g. only allow GPU computing).

myshortpencil
10-14-12, 10:00 AM
If you're using the BOINC manager, in advanced view, you can click on [Tools] [Computing Preferences], and under the "processor usage" tab, near the bottom of the form, change "on multiprocessor systems, use at most" to 50%.

pinhodecarlos
10-14-12, 10:14 AM
Thank you both, it's now working.

Carlos

Duke of Buckingham
10-14-12, 10:29 AM
You can use prolasso assigning one of the cores to crunch and the other to make all the usual work of the computer. Prolasso is free. Why don't you take a look on it.