PDA

View Full Version : BOINC Tasks - finding other computers on network?

DrPop
04-28-12, 05:09 PM
Thanks to Bryan, I am finally trying BOINC Tasks instead of trying to manage every computer here directly. :P

I have installed Boinc Tasks on each rig, and it is running on them along with BOINC being open. How do I add all the computers into BOINC Tasks on my laptop so I can control them all from there? I go to "Find Computers" and click Find - but no love, nothing ever shows up?
For the record, all 4 computers (this is including the laptop) are running Win7 X64, and all on a home group. I can access each one through the Windows Explorer.

Thanks for any help!

Fire$torm
04-28-12, 05:57 PM
Thanks to Bryan, I am finally trying BOINC Tasks instead of trying to manage every computer here directly. :P

I have installed Boinc Tasks on each rig, and it is running on them along with BOINC being open. How do I add all the computers into BOINC Tasks on my laptop so I can control them all from there? I go to "Find Computers" and click Find - but no love, nothing ever shows up?
For the record, all 4 computers (this is including the laptop) are running Win7 X64, and all on a home group. I can access each one through the Windows Explorer.

Thanks for any help!

First you don't need to run the original BM GUI anymore. BOINC Tasks can start and stop the local BOINC client on it own. For versions 6.xx.xx of BM, goto Menu > Advanced > options and under the General tab uncheck the box for "Run manager at login?" then shutdown BM. In version 7.xx.xx goto Menu > Tools > Options.

Now if you have Firewalls on those machine (And you should) you will need to configure each machine to allow boinc.exe inbound and outbound TCP?UDP network access on port 31416. Also BOINC Tasks will need the same on its machine.

Finally in BOINC Tasks click the "Computers" button to switch the window view, then on the main menu click computer > Add Computer and repeat for each system you wish to add.

In the computer list window for each system row click the individual cells to edit its contents.

F$

Edit: Better instructions (Here (http://www.efmer.eu/boinc/boinc_tasks/manual.html))

zombie67
04-28-12, 09:44 PM
1) You don't need to, and should not, run BOINCtasks on each machine. Run it just on the one that you will use to control and monitor all the others.

2) On each remote machine, set your gui_rpc_auth.cfg password to something like "password". That will make it easier to add them all to your SINGLE instance of BOINCtasks, running on your controlling host.

3) On each remote machine, add the following line to your cc_config.xml. It allows you to use DHCP, and doesn't matter if your machine running BOINCtasks changes it's IP address. Also saves you having to add entries to each individual cruncher's remote_hosts.cfg.

<cc_config>
<options>
<allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc>
</options>
</cc_config>

DrPop
04-28-12, 10:29 PM
Wow, thanks Z. I had it all wrong, I guess. I'll go uninstall it on the other rigs and try with that configuration you posted.:o

DrPop
04-28-12, 11:47 PM
Just an update, that worked perfectly. Now I have all 4 rigs under control of the single Boinc Tasks installed on my laptop. THANK YOU!

Fire$torm
04-29-12, 12:24 AM
Actually I do have BOINC Tasks on all my systems. It is a replacement for BM. How can it hurt? And as I VNC into the boxes all the time it makes sense to have the same GUI just in case I have to check something.

DrPop
04-29-12, 12:32 AM
I'm sure that works fine, I mean now that I see how it works, it's like a Boinc Manager on steroids
:D
Z's way was just easy for me since he posted the cc_config. ;) Works pretty good from what I can tell so far. Now just to see if the rule I setup works!

Fire$torm
04-29-12, 12:58 AM
I'm sure that works fine, I mean now that I see how it works, it's like a Boinc Manager on steroids
:D
Z's way was just easy for me since he posted the cc_config. ;) Works pretty good from what I can tell so far. Now just to see if the rule I setup works!
OK, just be aware that the allow_remote_gui_rpc will open up the client to any machine that can find it. So it is a potential security risk especially since BOINC uses the RPC communication protocol. RPC is horribly insecure ---> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc751166.aspx

Bryan
04-29-12, 01:05 AM
If you decide to only allow certain IP addresses to control your machines then you can configure it that way. The only problem is you have to have FIXED IP addresses so that the computers don't change when they connect to your network (ie no DHCP). You can either do that modifying the IPv4 on each network card or using the MAC addresses on your router.

I use this (fixed IP) on my machines and like F$ I have BTasks setup on each computer because I tie into them via a VNC. I usually only have it running on a single machine but it is installed and ready to go on any of them. That way if I lose a machine I can tie into another one and control any machine from it.

Fire$torm
04-29-12, 01:16 AM
Sorry I forgot something. Bryan's post reminded me.....

I used my ISP's supplied router to give each system on my network a static it. It should take you like ten minutes to do the same. That way you do not have to configure the systems individually.

If you need a guide to help you take a look at Portforward's repository of router guides (Here (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm))

zombie67
04-29-12, 02:12 AM
Blah, blah, blah, security, blah, etc. If you are behind a modern router, you're fine. ;)

Back on topic, DrPop, let me guess how it feels to see all your tasks in one manager...KING DICK! Holy crap! Why has no one told me about this before?! THIS is how it's done!! You can so easily se where there are issues that need attention without checking on each machine one at a time. Oh, and be sure to expand on the colors. I use (say) vivid green for running tasks, medium green for waiting tasks, and light green for unstarted tasks. A similar scheme but blue, for GPU tasks. And bright red for suspended, and eror tasks. Now you actually control your BOINC world.

DrPop
04-29-12, 02:26 AM
It is pretty cool to see all the computers' tasks from one rig, that's for sure! This thing ought to come bundled with the BOINC download! :)

I like the idea of the color scheme, that sounds very useful. Now we just need an Android and iOS apps that tie into it so we can check out how things are running when away... I suppose if you wanted to get crazy you could do a log-me-in session from the Central rig running BOINC Tasks. ;)

Al
04-29-12, 07:24 AM
I like the idea of the color scheme, that sounds very useful. Now we just need an Android and iOS apps that tie into it so we can check out how things are running when away... I suppose if you wanted to get crazy you could do a log-me-in session from the Central rig running BOINC Tasks. ;)

That's exactly what I did when I set my systems from Memphis, except I prefer TeamViewer....Al

Mumps
04-29-12, 10:18 AM
It is pretty cool to see all the computers' tasks from one rig, that's for sure! This thing ought to come bundled with the BOINC download! :)

Umm, have you checked out the "WWW" option on BoincTasks? You can set up your machine running BoincTasks to listen for a web connection and display what BoincTasks would normally be displaying on the local computer. It won't let you control your hosts, but it will let you see the status...

coronicus
04-29-12, 10:31 AM
About time you tried out boinctasks... Think im going blue in the face :(( screaming at folks to use it %-( Even wrote a guide omg thats like a miracle for me :D

Slicker
04-30-12, 12:14 PM
OK, just be aware that the allow_remote_gui_rpc will open up the client to any machine that can find it. So it is a potential security risk especially since BOINC uses the RPC communication protocol. RPC is horribly insecure ---> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc751166.aspx

BOINC doesn't actually use Microsoft's RPC calls. Instead, it uses a TCP connection on port 31416 and send/receives XML. The data is not encrypted. Some BOINC info can be accessed without authentication but commands that change preferences, join or detach from projects etc. require authentication. The password is hashed prior to authenticating and the hash is not reusable from one connection to the next.

However, if you open port 31416 to the Internet, someone could do a brute force attack and eventually guess your password since BOINC does not lock anything down after a given number of invalid login attempts.

Fire$torm
04-30-12, 12:30 PM
BOINC doesn't actually use Microsoft's RPC calls. Instead, it uses a TCP connection on port 31416 and send/receives XML. The data is not encrypted. Some BOINC info can be accessed without authentication but commands that change preferences, join or detach from projects etc. require authentication. The password is hashed prior to authenticating and the hash is not reusable from one connection to the next.

However, if you open port 31416 to the Internet, someone could do a brute force attack and eventually guess your password since BOINC does not lock anything down after a given number of invalid login attempts.

Really? I'm a little surprised as any docs I've read about BOINC communications says it does. Or is that on the localhost?

artemis8
05-29-12, 10:52 PM
Thank you so much. Now I can control all three computers from one now too :D

Al
01-14-13, 10:13 PM
All my computers show up in BoincTasks. Is there a way to get VM's on those computers to show up in BoincTasks? If there is I'm missing something. Remote_Hosts.cfg - Done! Gui_rpc_auth.cfg - Done! A little help here?

Mumps
01-14-13, 10:43 PM
All my computers show up in BoincTasks. Is there a way to get VM's on those computers to show up in BoincTasks? If there is I'm missing something. Remote_Hosts.cfg - Done! Gui_rpc_auth.cfg - Done! A little help here?

Well, for starters, it's going to depend on the "Network Mode" you select for the Guests. By default, VirtualBox is going to set you up as "NAT" which means the guest can talk *out* but aren't visible as an independent host from the outside looking in. You need to be in "Bridged Adapter" mode for the guests to each get their own DHCP'd (or statically assigned) address. At which point, BOINCTasks from some other machine will be able to talk directly to your guests like you want.

Al
01-15-13, 06:56 AM
Well, for starters, it's going to depend on the "Network Mode" you select for the Guests. By default, VirtualBox is going to set you up as "NAT" which means the guest can talk *out* but aren't visible as an independent host from the outside looking in. You need to be in "Bridged Adapter" mode for the guests to each get their own DHCP'd (or statically assigned) address. At which point, BOINCTasks from some other machine will be able to talk directly to your guests like you want.

I changed it from NAT to Bridged and rebooted VB and BM. I pinged the linux host and it now shares my network. I have internet connection via the browser, but BM refuses to connect. I reinstalled VB. I reinstalled BM. Neither helped the connection for BM. I Did Not reinstall the guest host. So, the network connection problem seems to be isolated to BM only. Any ideas on what I'm overlooking now.:confused:

kmanley57
01-15-13, 11:19 AM
I just installed a VB Ubuntu and it worked just like all my other machines. I can see it in B.T. and it has downloaded and is currently running a EoN WU. So I have no idea what/how to help you. :confused:

Duke of Buckingham
01-15-13, 01:30 PM
I run Win7 and the same happened to me with primaboinca the WUs just disappeared when I restarted the computer and I don't know where they are. One thing I know they are not in my account or in my computer. The only thing I changed was to BOINC 7.0.44. I was kind of confused with that.

zombie67
01-15-13, 10:04 PM
Maybe it's a "workgroups" thing with windows? I know different versions of windows have different default "workgroups", even between the home and pro versions. No idea why.

Duke of Buckingham
01-15-13, 10:17 PM
Maybe it's a "workgroups" thing with windows? I know different versions of windows have different default "workgroups", even between the home and pro versions. No idea why.

Well, I just really don't know but I thought a lot about that maybe the tasks didn't report to the Primaboinca server as I had an electric fail and had to boot the computer but I am using config file with report immediately on it, so that shouldn't happen.

My credit will fall a bit nothing serious. Now I am paying attention to Boinc manager and things seem quite normal.

Al
01-15-13, 10:29 PM
Still no luck getting the vms to show up. I even installed the newest version of VirtualBox and a much newer version of Boinc Manager. Not a huge deal, I just need to be mindful of what's running on the vms I can't easily see. If anyone comes up with any more ideas please let me know. Thanks.

zombie67
01-15-13, 10:33 PM
Still no luck getting the vms to show up. I even installed the newest version of VirtualBox and a much newer version of Boinc Manager. Not a huge deal, I just need to be mindful of what's running on the vms I can't easily see. If anyone comes up with any more ideas please let me know. Thanks.

I just assign my VMs a fixed IP address. The put that IP address in BOINCtasks manually.

Al
01-16-13, 12:01 AM
I just assign my VMs a fixed IP address. The put that IP address in BOINCtasks manually.

I tried that. The only way I've found to do that in VB is to set it to Bridged, as Mumps suggested. When I do that BM won't connect...but I can still use the browser. I find that strange, but there is still a lot about networks that confuse me.

zombie67
01-16-13, 12:46 AM
I tried that. The only way I've found to do that in VB is to set it to Bridged, as Mumps suggested. When I do that BM won't connect...but I can still use the browser. I find that strange, but there is still a lot about networks that confuse me.

Sorry, I wan't clear. I use fixed IP with bridged.

If your browser can see the internet, then the network is good. Perhaps your linux client has a firewall, and you have to allow BOINC access through it?

Al
01-16-13, 08:06 AM
Sorry, I wan't clear. I use fixed IP with bridged.

If your browser can see the internet, then the network is good. Perhaps your linux client has a firewall, and you have to allow BOINC access through it?

That crossed my mind too, but previous versions of linux didn't have a firewall installed until I added it. 12.04 doesn't seem to either...at least I can't find one. It really has me confused at this point. Fortunately I don't use the linux/vm very often, so it isn't a huge problem at this point. Thanks for the ideas though. I appreciate it.

kmanley57
01-16-13, 11:00 AM
You can try adding yourself to the 'boinc' group, so the (local)user can connect to the boinc-client.

sudo adduser <yourusername> boinc

Then try restarting the VM and see if it(BM) works for you. It did for me, as now when I start up the VM and invoke BM it comes up with out a problem. Where it never connected before, but I was able to the two times I tried after adding my VM Ubuntu user to the boinc group.

Al
01-16-13, 03:17 PM
Sorry, would that be my user name on the computer that runs boinctasks or the computer name?

kmanley57
01-16-13, 04:45 PM
Sorry, would that be my user name on the computer that runs boinctasks or the computer name?

That would be the 'user name' used to log into the VM running boinc, that you are trying to interact with. It is a 'permissions' access problem from installing Boinc Manager, that the Boinc package installer can not handle. While Boinc Tasks uses a port to interact with boinc, Boinc Manager tries to access boinc more directly.

So you have to ADD secondary group(boinc) to the VM users account, which then allows their B.M. program to talk to the boinc program.

This 'fix' was posted on the Ubuntu forum several years ago, and is needed to get Boinc Manager talking to the client process running on the same machine.

Fire$torm
01-16-13, 04:52 PM
That crossed my mind too, but previous versions of linux didn't have a firewall installed until I added it. 12.04 doesn't seem to either...at least I can't find one. It really has me confused at this point. Fortunately I don't use the linux/vm very often, so it isn't a huge problem at this point. Thanks for the ideas though. I appreciate it.

I think Z was referring to the Host firewall. That is the problem I have with Outpost Firewall. When I disable Outpost then my VMs can connect to my network. I have tried everything I can think of to set Outpost's rules and such but no joy. There is something internal to Outpost that blocks certain types of network communications. I have the same problem when using the command line (boinccmd.exe) to control remote BOINC clients. Not sure if its an RPC thing, ICMP thing or something else. I just know it has nothing to do with HTTP or HTTPS protocols.

Al
01-16-13, 05:31 PM
Okay, shutting down the firewalls is no problem, I'll give that a try tonight if necessary. KManley57 has been schooling me by pm and may have hit on the problem as well. We'll see later this evening. Thanks guys!

kmanley57
01-16-13, 06:04 PM
Al will have to let us know what he finds out, and what fixes his problem with the VM Boinc Manager connection issue. :cool:

But I am sure we have the technology to make him better than he was before! :-B

Al
01-16-13, 10:13 PM
Yep, better than I was...this

worked in getting BM to connect to the client and start crunching again. Thanks Keith! I still can't get BoincTasks to see that vm regardless of whether I tell BT to "find" computers or plug in the IP manually. Turned off the firewall, no change. I'll try it on another one of my vms tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Though it would be nice to see everything in one place, my farm is small, so it doesn't cause a real hardship.

Mumps
01-16-13, 10:44 PM
Yep, better than I was...this

worked in getting BM to connect to the client and start crunching again. Thanks Keith! I still can't get BoincTasks to see that vm regardless of whether I tell BT to "find" computers or plug in the IP manually. Turned off the firewall, no change. I'll try it on another one of my vms tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Though it would be nice to see everything in one place, my farm is small, so it doesn't cause a real hardship.

Launch the client on the VM and check the logs. May be the BOINC allow_remote_gui_rpc, remote_hosts.cfg or gui_rpc_auth.cfg and the password that goes with that. If BOINC itself is invoking security, it'll log it.

Al
01-17-13, 09:54 AM
Launch the client on the VM and check the logs. May be the BOINC allow_remote_gui_rpc, remote_hosts.cfg or gui_rpc_auth.cfg and the password that goes with that. If BOINC itself is invoking security, it'll log it.

Do you mean the logs that are set in the cc_config? If so I can do that later. I've never had a reason to want to see them before, so I never added the tag.

kmanley57
01-17-13, 10:19 AM
Do you mean the logs that are set in the cc_config? If so I can do that later. I've never had a reason to want to see them before, so I never added the tag.

There is some logging done by default, so at the top of the BM window, you select "Advanced" then "Event Log.." and it will pop up a window with some standard logging messages.

Al
01-17-13, 02:37 PM
Event log doesn't show any problem. It does show allow gui_rpc from the computer IP I would like to monitor from. Doesn't seem to be invoking any security. I think I'll try another vm and see if the result is the same.

Al
01-22-13, 02:40 PM
No luck getting it to see the vms...but getting to see everything else is worth the price of admission!

Slicker
01-22-13, 06:32 PM

For those who don't want to disable the entire firewall, tcp port 31416 is the one that is needed to access boinc from a remote machine. Allow incoming and outgoing.