PDA

View Full Version : Don't lose web access. Make sure your in the green!

Crazybob
05-10-12, 12:18 PM
Infected computers will be denied web access after July. Story here..... http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/23/tech/web/fbi-malware-dns/index.html?iref=obinsite

Check you box here....... http://www.dns-ok.us/

trigggl
05-10-12, 01:33 PM
Out of pure boredom, I checked one of my Linux computers.

I think I'm good. :-B

Fire$torm
05-10-12, 02:34 PM
The bit about denying net access is utter BS. I order to block, they have to identify infected systems. And if they already know which systems are infected there is no need to block, but rather inform. The only way they can discover who is infected is via their diagnostic site. But again once diagnosed all that is needed is vaccination via the same site. I wonder what little piece of software the FBI will secretly install on visiting computers........ Uber Lame government scare tactic.

zombie67
05-10-12, 03:13 PM
I think the issue is that the infected systems have their DNS server settings messed up. The feds are shutting down that DNS server, that the infected machines were redirected to. So to the infected users, it will look like their internet access was broken. Not that anyone actually shut down their access, but from their perspective, it just doesn't work any more. No big deal. They will just ask their kids to fix it.

Fire$torm
05-10-12, 03:55 PM
I think the issue is that the infected systems have their DNS server settings messed up. The feds are shutting down that DNS server, that the infected machines were redirected to. So to the infected users, it will look like their internet access was broken. Not that anyone actually shut down their access, but from their perspective, it just doesn't work any more. No big deal. They will just ask their kids to fix it.

LoL, soooo true. And you are correct.

DrPop
05-10-12, 04:34 PM
Along these lines...Zombie and F$ - I know you guys are into this sort of thing: What DNS servers do you have as your "first line"?

coronicus
05-10-12, 05:10 PM
Poor grandpa and grandma.. you know the ones you tried to get on myspace or facebook and they followed that nasty link that made then install a viruse software.. Really hate those folks that created that im constantly being called by family members cause of it, just which they would throw those folks in jail.

trigggl
05-10-12, 05:41 PM
Along these lines...Zombie and F$ - I know you guys are into this sort of thing: What DNS servers do you have as your "first line"?

Mine is the router. The router's is Comcast.

I believe Bok uses Google, but I forget what that address is.

zombie67
05-10-12, 05:44 PM
Mine is the router. The router's is Comcast.

I believe Bok uses Google, but I forget what that address is.

Same here. I use comcasts.

Googles are:

8.8.8.8 (easy to remember)

DrPop
05-10-12, 05:49 PM
Same here. I use comcasts.

Googles are:

8.8.8.8 (easy to remember)

OK, thanks. I think I must be using whatever AT&T Uverse set me up with on the new higher-speed install a few months back, because I don't remember setting them manually.

invisy
05-10-12, 06:26 PM
i hope i'm good you folks think this will keep me safe! 850 :confused:

zombie67
05-10-12, 06:29 PM
Truth. I can't stand the stuff.

DrPop
05-10-12, 06:36 PM
Truth. I can't stand the stuff.

LOL! :)) hahaha