PDA

View Full Version : Rant

Crazybob
05-11-12, 09:08 AM
Getting tired of the poor performance of some of this crap! Was bad enough when Freehal decided to go on vacation again and I had all of my boxes showing either uploading or ready to report for that project. Next I got on 1 and then 2 boxes WuProp giving me computation errors and the project sending me messages that there is no work for my kind of computer. Now I think I'm up to 4 boxes doing that. It still sends work, which errors out and then I get the first message and then it says I've reached the maximum of 1 WU per day. F**K! Then we start the Pentathalon and as soon as I switch over to Collatz, I have a quad at home saying it's going to contact all the different projects in anywhere from 45,000 hrs to 72,000 hours. Run Benchmarks, reboot, no change. We start WCG and now all my boxes at work are having problems with the number of redirects to all of the projects on them. Have to shut down the manager, then shutdown BOINC.EXE and restart. This is only a temporary fix. I'm so frick'n tired of chasing the projects to keep them running. I'm tempted to pull the plug on all of them. Not worth the hassle to spend hours to get one plate spinning and then to see another wobble and run to that one. Am I the only one with these kinds of problems or are others dealing also?

Rant over!:mad:

Duke of Buckingham
05-11-12, 10:32 AM
I had enough of problems from FreeHAL also, WUProp is quite a project that never give problems and it is a pitty that we don't have more like WUProp.

I detached from FreeHAL more than a dozen times but I always return, it is a kind of freak relationship, is just like my first girlfriend but she had nice legs ...

http://www.dreamstime.com/nice-legs-on-sand-beach-thumb5964765.jpg

Crazy Duke (for legs) :D

DrPop
05-11-12, 11:39 AM
@CB - I feel your pain, man. I detached from both of those projects months ago because I noticed during challenges that when they were running they did indeed spirit away some (small) resources. When I started getting various errors with either of those projects, I simply decided it wasn't worth the headache (for me, not saying that decision is for everyone).

Regarding the rest of the troubles: If we weren't in the Pentathlon, I would say suspend everything on every computer except for DiRT. Run it on the CPUs and the GPUs, both CUDA and ATI/AMD (not highest credits but it runs waaaaay cool) and then take a week off, leaving everything there on one project, don't touch the keyboards even! :)) :D Sometimes we all need a mini-vacation like that and just set it on autopilot and walk away for a bit. Grab a chilly one, it's the weekend, hang out with some good friends and talk about fishing and plan the trips for this summer! ;)

Then come back in a week and go back to different projeccts and whatnot with a refreshed viewpoint on all of this! :D

But...as we're in the middle of the Pentathlon, so can you please find it in your heart to screw with it all just enough for 6 more days, to run the projects that will count for the team before you take that mini-vacation??? :D :D :D

Fire$torm
05-11-12, 11:59 AM
Sorry CB I've not run into that kind of extreme problem. WUProp runs without any issues for me. FreeHal....... well never mind that one.

If I understand you correctly, you are running multiple CPU/GPU intensive projects concurrently? Like say Primaboinca & Einstein alongside Mersenne? If so that could be part of the problem.

I could ask about a dozen more questions but it sounds like you could use a break, as DP suggested. And to be honest trigggl, zombie or one of their ilk would probably discover the solution faster so I'll defer to their expertize.

I hope you feel better soon

Peace,
F$

coronicus
05-11-12, 12:14 PM
Man i feel your pain.. When starting the rosetta all over again i had machines crashing right and left. Some cause they didnt have enough memory others due to heating issues and then some cause well my own mistakes. There is a learning curve to all of this and with 10+ computers on my end you find out which computers can do the projects and which just can't for whatever reason. There is no guide telling you what projects wont run with another. None that gives you exactly how much memory you must have or what OS it suports, All that information you have to dig for and sometimes i just give up trying to find that answer. Even tried asking on project forums but always end up with that one asshat that i wish i could put on an ignore list so i wouldnt see his posts. So i would say go back to what work before the mess and have a good weekend cause if your like me that baseball bat is not to far from that computer lol...

Rattledagger
05-11-12, 01:14 PM
Never heard about WUprop, have never run FreeHal, and only DIRT I know about (appart for whatever you step in outside), is the Colin McRae DIRT game-series.

WCG on the other hand I do run, and as long as doesn't overload computer with CEP2, it's normally very stable, both then it comes to the various applications and the WCG-servers. So not sure that your problem is with WCG.

Fire$torm
05-11-12, 01:56 PM
Never heard about WUprop, have never run FreeHal, and only DIRT I know about (appart for whatever you step in outside), is the Colin McRae DIRT game-series.

WCG on the other hand I do run, and as long as doesn't overload computer with CEP2, it's normally very stable, both then it comes to the various applications and the WCG-servers. So not sure that your problem is with WCG.

Just an FYI, Why you should run WUProp ---> http://www.setiusa.us/content.php?123-WhyYouShouldRunWUProp

Mike029
05-11-12, 03:04 PM
I'm not seeing any of that as well CB. Just finished with a dual core that was giving me problems. Mine was due to me running two gpu's in a box with 4 gb mem and a dual core cpu. The gpu's were choking and crashing the system when I ran any cpu projects. :mad:

It you can hold out till the challenge is over that would be appreciated. :o3 [-O<
If not believe me, I understand.