PDA

View Full Version : win 7

GregK
05-12-12, 01:42 PM
i just bought win 7 home premium the full version. how many installs can i legally do?

c303a
05-12-12, 03:17 PM
If you have an orange box it is 3 but if it is the green wrapper then you can only do 1. Remember that you cannot do an upgrade from Win XP. You have to do a custom install (complete) and then Win 7 will have a folder on the HDD that is Windows Old and it will have all of you old files in there.

GregK
05-12-12, 09:07 PM
darn its the green one. i couldnt get it to boot. even swapped the drive. dvd drive set to first to boot.

Fire$torm
05-12-12, 10:36 PM
darn its the green one. i couldnt get it to boot. even swapped the drive. dvd drive set to first to boot.

First thing to check, can your current OS read the install disk?

kmanley57
05-12-12, 10:43 PM
First thing to check, can your current OS read the install disk?

Yes, does it show the disk in windows explorer when you have it loaded while running windows. Also it might have just ask for a couple seconds to press the 'any key' to boot from the cd/dvd. :D Still looking for the "any key" for 20+ years now!

I know Vista asks to press a key for several seconds then continues and boots the drive if you do not.

c303a
05-13-12, 10:05 AM
Did you get the upgrade or a full copy? An upgrade must be run from inside windows as an upgrade but you should be able to boot from the cd and run a custom full install and a full copy should boot from the cd only.

GregK
05-13-12, 10:29 AM
its the green box full version. i cannot see the cd in computers/d:drive. sometime today i may try my drive that i know works in that computer see if its a bad drive.

c303a
05-13-12, 12:37 PM
Looks like you have a bad cd drive. Check the obvious first like cables for power and to the motherboard. That's what happened to me. I have 1 cd drive that will lose the power cable whenever I open the side of the computer.

You should be able to see the cd when you boot up on the boot screen. If not just open it up and change drive.

GregK
05-13-12, 03:44 PM
thats it was cd drive. thanks for the help!