PDA

View Full Version : That Darn Pesky Pop-up

RadCazz
06-12-12, 07:09 AM
I have an older RPG, called The Witcher, that runs in XP/Vista. I tried installing it onto my Windows 7 Pro notebook hoping it would still run. Turns out, it doesn't. So, I used Revo Uninstaller and completely removed it. However, now whenever I boot into my os, I get this annoying pop-up:
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y335/RadCazz/driver_error.jpg

Is there any way I can locate the offending driver and uninstall it?

Things I tried so far:

(1.) Show hidden devices/drivers in Device Manager and uninstalled those drivers I'm no longer using.
(2.) Used JV PowerTools to "Clean and Fix" my computer.
(3.) Used JV PowerTools to clean registry.
(4.) Attempted a system restore/rollback but nothing listed takes me to a time before I installed the program.
(5.) Looked at Windows *.log files.
(6.) Windows 7 Forum suggested I just re-install os; that would be a pain.

Nothing seems to work. How can I get rid of this pop-up message? Any other ideas?

Rattledagger
06-12-12, 08:07 AM
Hmm, it's strange that you didn't get The Witcher to play, since it shouldn't have any problems under win7 either...

Atleast the steam-version only seems to install/upgrade directx and the visual C++ redistributable, and neither should normally give any problems.

But, in case you're trying with a non-steam version of the Witcher, since it's a game possibly it included one of the many viruses that game-developers likes to call "copy-protection".

If so, patching your copy to the latest version (v1.5) should AFAIK also uninstall the copy-protection-virus.

If this doesn't work and assuming it is a copy-protection-virus your system has got, try to find out the exact virus-variant, and see if the virus-producer has a method to remove the virus again...

RadCazz
06-13-12, 05:58 AM
Thanks. I'll try a re-install and then apply the patch you mentioned. I purchased "The Witcher" Enhanced Edition boxed-game from Amazon. I have heard that it uses DRM, if I'm not mistaken.

Rattledagger
06-13-12, 07:35 AM
Thanks. I'll try a re-install and then apply the patch you mentioned. I purchased "The Witcher" Enhanced Edition boxed-game from Amazon. I have heard that it uses DRM, if I'm not mistaken.
It seems patch 1.5 released after the enhanced edition basically is a bug-fix to remove DRM that in many instances screwed-up the game. They was using TAGES, and while Witcher isn't using this after the latest patch, maybe it still is installed on the computer and you'll need to manually remove it.

Duke of Buckingham
06-13-12, 10:10 AM
http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/job-fails-installation-wizard-cannot-be-stopped.jpg