PDA

View Full Version : Another team Mega Milestone at our finger tips.

NJCaNS
06-17-12, 10:13 PM
Now that Eon is over 5 million what next?

How about a little WEP M2? This one is for a 10 Million Team MM. WEP M2 is sitting less than 200K credits from reaching 10 million. Hate to see us miss this one when we are so close. WEP will reach 10 million eventually but it's RAC is low so it could be many weeks unless we give it a little spurt as it approaches the team MM.

Getting this 10 million MM could move us into a tie for 2nd place in this category. Project Albert reached 10 Million last week, Suduko is reaching 10 Million in the next day thanks to Mumps so WEP M2 would be our third 10 million project in a short period. A big move in this category and in fact could drop SETI.Germany into 3rd. LAF is several projects further on and locked into 1st but we'll leave them for another day.

I don't know anything about this one and though I'm not inclined to join this project I'm willing to crunch it a bit for a fellow team member trying to reach a personal MM or just encourage a few others to pop off a few credits so we can tack this onto our mantle. Just PM me you info and I'll run a few boxes under your account to help you get a personal MM.

Info about WEP from the team front page link follows.
http://www.setiusa.us/content.php?485-wep-m-2-project_1

Note: this shouldn't usurp any team competitions or other personal projects but just a recommendation for those looking for something different to crunch for a bit.

Thanks.

Fire$torm
06-18-12, 12:02 AM
LoL, your funny. But in a good way....

OK I'll give it a shot after I hit 50K on eOn. That should be in about 3 days.

Fogle
06-18-12, 06:16 AM
Hey no Windows OS on this one. Leaves me out. :mad:

Fire$torm
06-18-12, 06:40 AM

Virtualbox!

trigggl
06-18-12, 07:09 AM
I've got an MM to make there, so I'll be gradually moving over as current tasks finish up.

Also, looks like another job for a Gentoo Hydra.

zombie67
06-18-12, 11:59 AM
Right. OSX and Linux only.

artemis8
06-19-12, 10:34 PM
I've got one machine I can contribute some to it. Hurray a new project :)

NJCaNS
06-20-12, 12:01 AM
Why that's practically un-American. I'm not going to be much help here then at all. Not geeky enough.
Still, would be nice if we could get this one for the team, and to screw with SG a bit.

Mumps
06-20-12, 07:37 AM
Why that's practically un-American. I'm not going to be much help here then at all. Not geeky enough.
Still, would be nice if we could get this one for the team, and to screw with SG a bit.

And, actually, it's my goal to be the first user to 10 Mil. If I accelerate on that, we should also even take the #1 position from SG. :)

Slicker
06-20-12, 02:50 PM
Actually, I ported the WEP app to windows a couple years ago but the project admin wasn't interested since he wants to promote Linux. So.... give out really crappy credit (even under the old credit system WEP was below average) and people will want to switch to Linux. Yep. That makes perfect sense.

To enforce the Linux rules, the admin removed all other platforms other than Linux and OS X which means it doesn't allow Windows apps or even anonymous apps. So, the only way to use the Windows app is to change the BOINC config to pretend it is Linux. When you do that, WEP is the only project you can crunch.

If you want to crunch it, a VM is easiest. I believe that my Windows app was better optimized, so if you want to run it on a CPU only machine and go for slightly higher (still pretty poor) credit, I could make the Windows app available -- if he hasn't changed his apps since I ported it, that is.

Fire$torm
06-20-12, 03:21 PM
Finally got around to setting up a new Ubuntu VM on my desktop. Now running 5 threads. My lappy runs Ubuntu so that one is easy and I have one Ubuntu VM almost ready on my i7 860.

NJCaNS
06-25-12, 12:16 AM
Making good if not great progress on this goal team. Might be reached in 5 more days if memory serves me.

trigggl
06-26-12, 07:55 PM
Apparently SG got the impression we were gunning for them. Suddenly, it looks like they're running scared and trying to catch up in production. I blame Mumps. /:)

Mumps
06-26-12, 09:00 PM
Apparently SG got the impression we were gunning for them. Suddenly, it looks like they're running scared and trying to catch up in production. I blame Mumps. /:)

<Raises Hand>

Huh?

trigggl
06-26-12, 11:37 PM
And, actually, it's my goal to be the first user to 10 Mil. If I accelerate on that, we should also even take the #1 position from SG. :)

<Raises Hand>

Huh?

This is not a private forum, so I'm giving you a hard time for talking about taking No.1 from SG. It could just be that they saw the rise in production and decided to throw some weight over there, but it could also be that a certain SG member was over here and saw some things.

Anyways, it's just kind of funny to me that they ramped up as if we're really gunning for 'em. <):)

artemis8
06-26-12, 11:48 PM
With my 1k a day we will leave them in the dust!

trigggl
06-27-12, 10:09 PM
Some things to note as this effort comes to fruition:

SETI.USA Hydra has passed SETI.USA Cluster. :>
@Mumps - Keep up the good fight on your quest to 10M. =D>
@F$ - I didn't know we had a [BlaskOps] division. ;))
@artimis8 - Thanks for the 1k a day help; you might as well keep it up to get your 10k MM. >:/
@NJCaNS - Thanks for your reminders to think about specific team milestone goals once in a while. **==

artemis8
06-27-12, 10:24 PM
yeah, actually I am loving the milestone things to work on for the team.

Fire$torm
06-27-12, 10:40 PM
Fixed.

zombie67
06-28-12, 12:25 AM
@NJCaNS - Thanks for your reminders to think about specific team milestone goals once in a while. **==

Hell yeah! Seriously. NJCaNS, you "got our backs". For you youngsters, that's "street" for people about 40 years old...like me. :cool:

NJCaNS
07-01-12, 01:35 AM
Thanks to those that chipped in to notch another team milestone for SUSA. Once you have these you can't lose them. Like diamonds, they're forever. That's why I hate to miss these opportunities and will keep an eye out for others that might need a bit of help.

One of the nice thing about team MM's is they add a little variety to single project crunching. And as you saw above, keeps the other guys on their toes.

@Zombie, I'm years past my 40's. :-$

artemis8
07-02-12, 11:04 PM
I hit 10k today, done for now, till next time :)

pinhodecarlos
10-04-12, 06:09 PM
Just to let you guys know one thing math related to the project: Bearnol's uses strictly an exponential time algorithm and is actually worse than trial division. It is pointless what the project does.
I am amazed by the fact that SETI.USA team has almost 11M credits when the CPU power wasted would be more useful elsewhere. Anyway...it's always your call, money, time, fun, etc..

Carlos

Mumps
10-04-12, 11:07 PM
Just to let you guys know one thing math related to the project: Bearnol's uses strictly an exponential time algorithm and is actually worse than trial division. It is pointless what the project does.
I am amazed by the fact that SETI.USA team has almost 11M credits when the CPU power wasted would be more useful elsewhere. Anyway...it's always your call, money, time, fun, etc..

Carlos
That's an easy one. I still have a chance to become the first cruncher to 10 Mil here. That's where 7.5 Mil of the team tot comes from at least. :)

10 Mil = I'm not lettin' the door hit me in the yass. ;)

zombie67
10-04-12, 11:21 PM
That's the whole point of MMs. It spreads out the crunching love. In order to own a MM category, it requires having the most of them, and that means all projects. That includes the great paying projects (even if the science is crap) and the crappy paying ones (even if their science is great).

pinhodecarlos
10-05-12, 03:49 AM
If you go the the original stats page (with the fish cartoon) you can see that I ran a lot of this project by myself with my old AMD 1100 MHz. But then I decided to study the matter to see if I was doing useful work for the math community.
I completely understand both points of view and I am not here to point what people should or not run. I think the most important thing of all is to have fun, to forget the daily worries, to keep our minds busy...

Carlos

Fire$torm
10-06-12, 08:52 PM
If you go the the original stats page (with the fish cartoon) you can see that I ran a lot of this project by myself with my old AMD 1100 MHz. But then I decided to study the matter to see if I was doing useful work for the math community.
I completely understand both points of view and I am not here to point what people should or not run. I think the most important thing of all is to have fun, to forget the daily worries, to keep our minds busy...

Carlos

=D> =D> =D>