PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Louisiana

bonnjer
06-22-12, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Jeremy. I've been running Seti@Home and BOINC on and off for the last few years now. Just got a new machine, so I wanted to test it out. Thanks for having me as part of the team!

c303a
06-22-12, 12:41 PM
Welcome and don't be a stranger. We have a very friendly and knowledgeable team here and everyone is willing to help if you have questions. Also if possible and you would like to we run Freehal and Wuprop as non cpu intensive projects. Just a few extra points for you and the team. Just attach through Boinc and they will run alongside any other project you run.

Mike029
06-22-12, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the boards and thank you for choosing SETI.USA!!! Take a look around and stay awhile. ;)

bonnjer
06-23-12, 01:12 AM
Got a question about BOINC running on my computer...

Is it something that will cause the computer to work harder over time? I know with my old computer, when I'd run BOINC the fans would start running noticeably louder. I was afraid that the thing would end up overheating or something. With this new computer, it doesn't sound like it's running any louder or anything, but I wasn't sure. I'd like for this desktop to last a while (the other one ran for 8 years). Thanks!

BlkJack-21
06-23-12, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the boards Jeremy

artemis8
06-23-12, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the team and boards. Glad to have you here.

artemis8
06-25-12, 12:50 AM

Is it something that will cause the computer to work harder over time? I know with my old computer, when I'd run BOINC the fans would start running noticeably louder. I was afraid that the thing would end up overheating or something. With this new computer, it doesn't sound like it's running any louder or anything, but I wasn't sure. I'd like for this desktop to last a while (the other one ran for 8 years). Thanks!

BOINC tasks everything about your computer, no doubt about it. The more things are used the sooner they will wear out, just how it works.

Slicker
06-25-12, 10:43 AM

Is it something that will cause the computer to work harder over time?

No. It will just work until it breaks. No faster, no slower. :)

Running anything "all out" and all the time will take a toll. How much depends upon the components inside. For example, a store bought PC will have a power supply that is just barely large enough to run the components. Even the "gamer" machines often have a minimal power supply. The power supply will have to run at 100% to meet power demands. It won't last all that long. Build your own computer and/or purchase an aftermarket power supply where at max load, it will only be running at 60% power and it will last a long, long time as well as use less electricity doing it.

The CPU cooler will be a stock Intel unit which, while cheap, really doesn't work well. Put on a really good CPU cooler and the fan won't have to run at as high of a speed as with a cheap one. Less fan noise and less power used by the fan.

The computer cases often have locations where additional case fans may be added. Add them. The less heat inside, the longer the rest of the computer will last. And, fans are cheap.

However, by the time you think about upgrading after 8 years, my system will be at least 16 times faster than yours and require only 30-50% of the electricity to run assuming tech developments continue at their current pace. If you calculate the bang for the buck, you may find that waiting 8 years really doesn't pay. Caution: you may find yourself like me where I keep buying new ones but never shut the old ones down either -- like my 9 year old AMD Athlon 3200+ which still crunches 24/7.

Crazybob's Son
06-25-12, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the team and message boards! Glad to have you here.

Crazybob
06-25-12, 04:16 PM
Welcome to the team Jeremy!

bonnjer
06-28-12, 04:57 PM
Thanks again for all of the welcomes and kind words. Glad to be here!

Since I can't post in any other section of the forum yet, I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. I've currently got SETI and Collatz attached on my computer. It seems that Collatz keeps "taking over" and prevents the SETI WU's from running. Is there any way to set priorities as to which can run or for how long?

2. I've got CPUID running to check the temperatures. Without BOINC running, it stays at or just below 100 degrees F. With BOINC running, it's at about 145 or so. What are considered to be "safe" upper level temps? I'm guessing that it's a bit higher than 145, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks everyone!

Fire$torm
07-02-12, 01:41 AM
Thanks again for all of the welcomes and kind words. Glad to be here!

Since I can't post in any other section of the forum yet, I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. I've currently got SETI and Collatz attached on my computer. It seems that Collatz keeps "taking over" and prevents the SETI WU's from running. Is there any way to set priorities as to which can run or for how long?

2. I've got CPUID running to check the temperatures. Without BOINC running, it stays at or just below 100 degrees F. With BOINC running, it's at about 145 or so. What are considered to be "safe" upper level temps? I'm guessing that it's a bit higher than 145, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks everyone!

The max. CPU temp depends on the make and model. Most can handle 85C~90C (185F~194F) at least for short periods. So your 145F (62.7C) is well within the "safe" range.

And before I forget, welcome to the forums and thanks for making the effort.

Peace.

bonnjer
07-02-12, 01:11 PM
Thanks Firestorm!

I'm wondering why my Einstein and WCG results aren't showing up in my Free-DC stats?

Duke of Buckingham
07-03-12, 05:40 PM
Welcome and good luck on your search about boinc. Usually Boinc Manager have the control on how much time every project runs but you can change it on Tools > Computation Preferences at the top of the Boinc Manager advanced view. There are other ways also but you will learn reading the Forum and the project threads.

http://rlv.zcache.com/welcome_to_our_team_postcard-p239178627131241123envli_400.jpg

Fire$torm
07-06-12, 11:09 AM
Thanks Firestorm!

I'm wondering why my Einstein and WCG results aren't showing up in my Free-DC stats?

Sorry I didn't see this post. OK the reason is that you have a split CPID (Cross Project Identifier (http://www.boinc-wiki.info/Cross-Project_Identifier)). This is usually caused by using/changing your email address in one of your project accounts. It can also happen from an error on a project.

Looking at your Free-DC stats data
CPID: 40428f35f3283d4da7a5588dd98ac802 (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=userbycpid&cpid=40428f35f3283d4da7a5588dd98ac802) - This one has Collatz, Rosetta & SETI@Home associated with it.

CPID: 95f90fa346f3b179301af6f0d012ed3f (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=userbycpid&cpid=95f90fa346f3b179301af6f0d012ed3f) - This one has Einstein & WCG associated with it.

Your CPID can usually be fixed by first checking each of your project accounts and verify that they all use the same email account. Note that BOINC will always replace old CPIDs with the most recently generated one. So if you know which project account has the most recently changed email info, use this info on the other accounts. Next, you will need to run a few wu's from ALL the projects you have accounts with, on one computer (assuming you may have more then one). It may take days or weeks for BOINC to sort things out so be patient.

Peace,
F$

bonnjer
07-09-12, 04:50 PM
Thanks again Firestorm.

Anybody know if Collatz is sending out WUs at this time? I haven't gotten any new ones for the last few days. When I try to update manually, the communication is deferred.

Slicker
07-12-12, 08:03 PM
Thanks again Firestorm.

Anybody know if Collatz is sending out WUs at this time? I haven't gotten any new ones for the last few days. When I try to update manually, the communication is deferred.

Yes: http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/server_status.php

If you attempt to update too often, it will defer. Using a longer timeout keeps the traffic down when people have GPUs with screwed up drivers etc. which can trash 20,000 WUs a day otherwise. (BOINC doesn't shut them down for errors quick enough if you ask me....)

Anyway, enable sched_op_debug in your cc_config.xml file and report back how many seconds of work it is asking for and what the reason for not getting work is. If it is asking for 0 seconds, that's a BOINC problem. Or, as the BOINC developers would have you think, a BOINC feature. ;) You can try detaching and then re-attaching. Either way, the event log should give more info.

bonnjer
07-12-12, 11:50 PM
Ha, well look at that. A simple detach/reattach worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion Slicker!

rgathright
07-17-12, 07:35 AM
Ha, well look at that. A simple detach/reattach worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion Slicker!

Hello there Jeremy! I am in Lake Charles. Glad to see another cajun on the team! :D

http://paulgnewton.com/images/crawfish_cartoon2.gif