PDA

View Full Version : Sandia Cooler Finally Almost Ready to Hit the Market

John P. Myers
06-27-12, 01:25 AM
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/131656-the-fanless-heatsink-silent-dust-immune-and-almost-ready-for-prime-time

For those interested in keeping your CPUs cooler than ever, maybe even cooler than a liquid system (maybe) but using air, then keep a lookout for this cooler. It's up to 30x more efficient than the cooler that came with your last CPU purchase, is far quieter and will not collect dust. It's also smaller, because instead of using a heatsink + fan combo like every other air cooler on the planet, with the Sandia cooler, the heatsink IS the fan. :)

zombie67
06-27-12, 07:44 AM
That looks totally cool!

kaptainkarl1
06-27-12, 08:22 AM
Sweet! I love ingenuity.

Mike029
06-27-12, 05:03 PM
Hmm, who is going to be the first to get this?

c303a
06-27-12, 07:00 PM
And who is going to give me the $$$$ for this one. Have to talk to the wife. ;);):D

zombie67
06-27-12, 08:52 PM
And who is going to give me the $$$$ for this one. Have to talk to the wife. ;);):D

It should be cheaper, not more expensive.

kmanley57
06-27-12, 09:17 PM
Looks like a GREAT meat grinder to have in a machine! Just the thing to put your finger into while probing around. All those exposed machined edges to slice fingers or any wire that might bump in to the fan 'assembly'.

But a nice protective shroud to protect people and make sure it does not do a very good job any more, so that the old fan makers can compete I sure will fix that problem! :rolleyes:

John P. Myers
06-27-12, 09:25 PM
Looks like a GREAT meat grinder to have in a machine! Just the thing to put your finger into while probing around. All those exposed machined edges to slice fingers or any wire that might bump in to the fan 'assembly'.

But a nice protective shroud to protect people and make sure it does not do a very good job any more, so that the old fan makers can compete I sure will fix that problem! :rolleyes:

lol

All that sounds fine and lovely except it spins counter-clockwise, so no finger or wire chopping :p

Mike029
06-27-12, 09:33 PM

LOL, Nicely said.

@JPM, LOL

zombie67
06-28-12, 12:17 AM
As a people, we are too stupid. Therefore we let lawyers and law makers make us safe...and we end up more stupid. It's accelerated anti-darwin, around a black hole. Stupid should hurt. Touch fire, it hurts, teaches us to NOT do that. That makes us smarter. When there is no down-side to stupid (too-big-to-fail, Greece, Stockton, etc), the sad end is inevitable. We have very recent, obvious examples, all predicted by everyone. Of course, being stupid, we all think it won't happen to our town, our state, our country. We are too stupid.

Edit: oops. sorry. i was responding to the "people might stick their finger into a blender" comment. And then I got derailed.

kmanley57
06-28-12, 02:07 PM
I still like my idea they will add a 'protection device' for them, that will make old fan coolers competitive! :p

I sure look forward to seeing the coolers available! 8->

c303a
06-28-12, 02:18 PM
You know that they are going to have to make it idiot proof just to avoid any crazy lawsuits. Just think.....my 6 month old crawled over to the computer sitting on the floor with no cover and stuck his finger inside and got a small scratch....where is my lawyer. I am looking at mega $$$$$$$$ :mad::mad::mad::D:D:D

kaptainkarl1
06-28-12, 02:43 PM
If only ignorance were painful really painful.

coronicus
07-02-12, 10:52 AM
As a people, we are too stupid. Therefore we let lawyers and law makers make us safe...and we end up more stupid. It's accelerated anti-darwin, around a black hole. Stupid should hurt. Touch fire, it hurts, teaches us to NOT do that. That makes us smarter. When there is no down-side to stupid (too-big-to-fail, Greece, Stockton, etc), the sad end is inevitable. We have very recent, obvious examples, all predicted by everyone. Of course, being stupid, we all think it won't happen to our town, our state, our country. We are too stupid.

Edit: oops. sorry. i was responding to the "people might stick their finger into a blender" comment. And then I got derailed.

But But its so shinie $-) and its spinning 8-> and its singing to me \:D/ i just have to touch it :-$ Here i go X_X sniff sniff b-( you hurt me pay me now 8-x

kmanley57
07-02-12, 03:04 PM
But But its so shinie $-) and its spinning 8-> and its singing to me \:D/ i just have to touch it :-$ Here i go X_X sniff sniff b-( you hurt me pay me now 8-x

I can see a little kid thinking that if they saw the cooler in operation! Then the parents suing! ~X(

John P. Myers
07-02-12, 03:17 PM
I can see a little kid thinking that if they saw the cooler in operation! Then the parents suing! ~X(

Yeah you're probably right. Good thing is though if we got one, we know we can remove the protective garbage from it so it'll work properly, assuming you don't have kids or often suffer from momentary lapses of sanity :p

EmSti
07-02-12, 03:42 PM
Yeah you're probably right. Good thing is though if we got one, we know we can remove the protective garbage from it so it'll work properly, assuming you don't have kids or often suffer from momentary lapses of sanity :p

Well... I wouldn't say they were often

Mumps
07-02-12, 10:04 PM
Well... I wouldn't say they were often

Yeah, the way things have been around here, my moments are blurring together...

John P. Myers
07-03-12, 07:35 PM
Well if you're worried about accidentally destroying your computers, you could always get one of these Fractal bulletproof cases :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_SNhi7-UWQ

Duke of Buckingham
07-03-12, 09:07 PM
Yeha. problems, problems, problems. I tried to fix my street. I think half of it wants to go away.

http://i.verylol.com/1/funny_foto_51.jpg

Duke

John P. Myers
01-09-15, 03:51 PM
Finally some news on this thing. It appears it might possibly be available for sale THIS YEAR! And by CoolerMaster, of all companies. It'll also be the perfect height for 1U servers and ITX builds. And regular computers as well, of course.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/coolchip-heat-sink-metal-fan,28367.html