PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia not working for me in Linux for Poem

trigggl
06-28-12, 09:19 PM
I have boinc 7.0.29 which boinc itself labels as 7.1.0 on projects. I don't know if that's the reason, but apps fail immediately. It links the input and output files using links labelled ....xml.gz I suppose it's supposed to be able to unzip (gunzip) the regular file through the ...xml.gz link to the non-xml.gz input file. Well, it ain't working. I have been able to run a task as standalone after gunzip'ing it myself. Could this be a boinc version problem, or just a failed project configuration for Linux computers?

Sorry if this makes no sense to many.

I do have a working app_info file if I ever get tasks to unzip and crunch.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured a way to create a 7.0.25 ebuild and installed it. Everything is working now.

Slicker
07-03-12, 04:06 PM
They got rid of 7.0.30 due to some serious bugs but said they should be fixed in 7.0.31 which was supposed to be released today for testing. You might want to try that.

As far as the 7.1.0 version goes, I asked about that a few weeks ago and was told that the subversion release number is what really counts and to ignore the 7.1.0 version. Unfortunately, BOINC does all sorts of things depending upon the client version number. It affects how preferences are handled, saved, etc. as well as the BOINC data that is sent to applications. BOINC does absolutely nothing with the SVN version other than to display it on the server status web page.

Know what version the Collatz server is using? 6.6.18. Why? It's stable. So, how can Collatz handle OpenCL since that wasn't until 7.x.x? I added the specific code that pertains to OpenCL from the 7.1.0 version. Painful, yes. Deploying the experimental 7.x.x code and having to do updates once a week until thjey figure it out would have been much more painful. To give you an idea of what that means, POEM is on version 24848 while Collatz is on version 22891. In other words, 1,951 changes have been made to the server and since it is up to the project admins to do the testing and since they only test the features their project uses, I find it easier to merge in the 5-6 OpenCL changes instead of testing almost 2000 changes. Not to mention that there's no official list of what changes are in which versions. The changes are dated but the versions are not so there's no way to correlate them as far as I know.

Mr. Hankey
07-06-12, 11:30 PM
So do you need to use the 7.x version client to work with the 7.x version of the server in order to do opencl? I am able to do open_CL on other projects using the 6.x client side stuff but so far am unable to dl and poem open_cl work.

trigggl
07-07-12, 09:12 AM
So do you need to use the 7.x version client to work with the 7.x version of the server in order to do opencl? I am able to do open_CL on other projects using the 6.x client side stuff but so far am unable to dl and poem open_cl work.

POEM specifies that you need version 7.0.xx. I'm not sure if they will even send you work until you have it.

I thought I was installing 7.0.29, but trunk had moved on to 7.1.0. 7.1.0 wasn't handling gzip files correctly.

I guess the question was for Slicker, but I decided to chime in.