PDA

View Full Version : This project now supports Nvidea GPUs for Windows

grathomp
07-04-12, 06:56 PM
From their web feed:

New client binaries released
The new POEM applications have been released this morning. This update also includes the long awaited NVIDIA OpenCL support for Windows.
I hope everything works as it should. If you encounter problems nevertheless, please inform us in this thread.
20 Jun 2012 | 11:08:48 UTC ·

STE\/E
08-08-12, 03:40 AM
I can't get the POEM GPU Wu's to run on both NVIDIA GPU's on any of my NVIDIA Box's, run's okay on 1 Card but keeps re-starting every 2-3 seconds on the 2'nd Card ??? Running BOINC 7.0.28 & NVIDIA 301.42 ...

Mad Matt
08-08-12, 06:45 AM
I can't get the POEM GPU Wu's to run on both NVIDIA GPU's on any of my NVIDIA Box's, run's okay on 1 Card but keeps re-starting every 2-3 seconds on the 2'nd Card ??? Running BOINC 7.0.28 & NVIDIA 301.42 ...

Seems a known problem. So far I just learned to know from CH he as been running 2xNV avoiding this problem, everyone else also reports this.

Al
08-08-12, 03:18 PM

Hey Ste\/e...same problem here. Poem only likes GPU 0 when running nvidia. ATI runs okay in both...don't know why it should be different. :confused: I posted this problem on the Poem board and the requested info, but never got it resolved. I did find out that a lot of other people have the same problem.

Slicker
08-08-12, 04:20 PM
nVidia has released a new BETA driver with CUDA 5. While the driver has caused a few problems with Collatz (e.g. returns results but they are all invalid), I wonder whether it would solve the multi-gpu issue with nVidia. Since the admins are aware and not doing much, the question is whether it is driver or app related.

For CUDA apps, one would just get the device parameter from the command line. But, because OpenCL lists all GPUs from all vendors but BOINC (due to the design) can only list devices by vendor, the BOINC developers had to come up with a day to select the correct OpenCL device when both AMD and nVidia are installed. For example, if you had both an nVidia and an AMD card installed, OpenCL considers them device 0 and device 1 whereas BOINC considers them to be device 0 for nVidia and device 0 for AMD. The issue with nVidia needing to be in slot 0 probably has to do with the order that BOINC numbers the devices when translating between OpenCL and CUDA/ATI. e.g. If BOINC sees them as both device 0, then when it runs the apps, one remains 0 while the other has to be changed to 1 in order for OpenCL to work properly.

Mad Matt
08-08-12, 05:41 PM
Probably it's time to take out the screw driver again and see if the beta can fix it. #:-s I just would like to wait until doing the next fly by or one more. Won't take long anyway... ;)

STE\/E
08-09-12, 03:28 AM
Same results with the v304.79 BETA Drivers, the Second Nv GPU Restarts ever 3-4 seconds ... Don't have much time to play with them as I'm in a Doctors office daily, have to be in another one in about 5 Hr's. By the time I do that I've exceeded my Daily Energy Level for the day & have to rest for the rest of the day. Hopefully I start 2-3 Hr Intervenes Injections this morning & that will start the remission of whatever I have ... Basically my entire Internal system has broken down plus my Immune System. So it leaves me in a constant weakened state since nothings working inside me like it should ... :-s

Mad Matt
08-09-12, 04:36 AM
Same results with the v304.79 BETA Drivers, the Second Nv GPU Restarts ever 3-4 seconds ... Don't have much time to play with them as I'm in a Doctors office daily, have to be in another one in about 5 Hr's. By the time I do that I've exceeded my Daily Energy Level for the day & have to rest for the rest of the day. Hopefully I start 2-3 Hr Intervenes Injections this morning & that will start the remission of whatever I have ... Basically my entire Internal system has broken down plus my Immune System. So it leaves me in a constant weakened state since nothings working inside me like it should ... :-s

Thank you so much Steve for trying hard. Just get well soon. \m/

Christopher Herr
08-09-12, 04:47 AM

Yes, Ste\/e, get as well as possible again soon! This dual NVidia bug =:) absolutely takes NO precedence over your well-being!

Although I am not a very spiritual person anymore, you are in my thoughts like others would perhaps say prayers! >:D<

Cruncher Pete
08-09-12, 06:52 AM

Hey Steve, I am sorry to hear about your health, I sincerely wish that it will be all OK soon. I can sympathise with your problems for I have a heartt condition that is not very stable at the moment and am waiting for the Cardiologist results. Never the less, hang in there brother and think positive, all will be resolved in time...\m/

Mike029
08-09-12, 09:10 AM
@Steve,

Someone here will figure it out and post a fix. ;) Take care of yourself and hope you feel better real soon.

Mike.

Slicker
08-09-12, 10:21 AM
@Steve,

Someone here will figure it out and post a fix. ;) Take care of yourself and hope you feel better real soon.

Mike.

Why not run a second instance of BOINC and set the first up to use the first GPU and the second to use only the second GPU? You have to use separate data folders. I'm not sure whether BOINC would see it as two different machines if you used the same email address to register both. If it sees them as one machine, one or the other would probably be starved for work. If you ran one instance as yourself and the other as a Hydra box, that should work.

Mad Matt
08-09-12, 04:16 PM
Why not run a second instance of BOINC and set the first up to use the first GPU and the second to use only the second GPU? You have to use separate data folders. I'm not sure whether BOINC would see it as two different machines if you used the same email address to register both. If it sees them as one machine, one or the other would probably be starved for work. If you ran one instance as yourself and the other as a Hydra box, that should work.

Jon, maybe you could explain in the other thread how to set this up, if this can be told in a few words? Excluding the GPUs should be the smaller problem, but I never tried doing multiple instances... I am just wondering if it works at the same time.

*-:)