PDA

View Full Version : MSI AB Unofficial OC fails on AMD 12.x

Mad Matt
08-03-12, 03:50 AM
Hi guys, since CCC 12.1 or 12.4 I cannot get into unofficial OC mode using Afterburner any more. It's an HD 5870. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance. =:)

Duke of Buckingham
08-03-12, 04:10 AM
I had the same problem and told you exactly that sometime ago. I am using 12.6 that is functioning fine with Windows 7 because with Windows XP 64 nothing works with nothing lately. Some bug or something. Maybe this page could help you better than helped me.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/356792-15-driver-stopped-working-issues

Mad Matt
08-03-12, 04:38 AM
@Ric. Thanks, I don't have any issues with my card, stability or whatever. I cannot get into unofficial OC mode. In fact I can get into, but it does not have any effect. Usually I could go up to 950MHz on the GPU.

Duke of Buckingham
08-03-12, 07:41 AM
See the MSI information of what is the CCC that is installed. It stays in previous and not the last installed. Is not this situation that is happening with you?

http://www.gameskyrim.com/amd-driver-catalyst-discussion-t231263-100.html

Fire$torm
08-03-12, 10:09 AM
Hi guys, since CCC 12.1 or 12.4 I cannot get into unofficial OC mode using Afterburner any more. It's an HD 5870. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance. =:)

If you are using any of the recent AB Betas then that is the reason. AMD drop support for Unofficial OC by removing two DLL files from CCC starting with 12.1 IIRC. The way around it is to use the "Final" versions of AB. The most recent Final is v2.2.3 which I am using and can confirm "Unofficial OC" still works.

Final Version Links
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
http://downloads.guru3d.com/MSI-AfterBurner-download-2392.html

You still need to unlock Unofficial OC by editing the Afterburner.cfg file

Here is my edit

[ATIADLHAL]
UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

Mad Matt
08-03-12, 02:11 PM
If you are using any of the recent AB Betas then that is the reason. AMD drop support for Unofficial OC by removing two DLL files from CCC starting with 12.1 IIRC. The way around it is to use the "Final" versions of AB. The most recent Final is v2.2.3 which I am using and can confirm "Unofficial OC" still works.

A mixture of both did the trick, probably. I was using AB 2.1.0. But just swapping to 2.2.3 did not have an effect. These DLL files have been missing. The DL was inactive at guru3D, so I went from 12.4 to 12.1 (clean sweeping) and did a dirty install of 12.4 after that. Could well be driver sweeper removes those files. ;) But I rebuilt that rig in spring, so it may have never had the DLLs starting with 12.4...

I think if you want to do clean installs, probably it's a measure to copy the AB folder (where those DLL should be stored?). Not sure if these DLLs aren't swept otherwise. *-:)

Thank you, teAm. :)

Duke of Buckingham
08-03-12, 02:27 PM
Yeha, thanks for the information also. Matt what is a dirty install? Can that be explained better.

Mad Matt
08-03-12, 02:52 PM
Yeha, thanks for the information also. Matt what is a dirty install? Can that be explained better.

If you just install one driver upon the other, letting the software handling removal and so on, especially without using driver sweeper between uninstall and new install. If you are lucky, this is working out of the box, if not doing 'clean installs' often fixes problems.

Duke of Buckingham
08-03-12, 02:59 PM
Understood, thanks Matt and F$.

Fire$torm
08-04-12, 01:07 AM
Glad you got it working Matt. The DLLs I mentioned were part of the ATI/AMD CCC suite. Starting with CCC 12.1 AMD removed the DLLs. AB's creator Alexey Nicolaychuk, aka Unwinder, somehow received permission, probably with MSI's help, from AMD to include the Dlls in AB. That is why the "Final" editions of AB can still do the Unofficial OC.

F$

Mad Matt
08-04-12, 04:07 AM
Glad you got it working Matt. The DLLs I mentioned were part of the ATI/AMD CCC suite. Starting with CCC 12.1 AMD removed the DLLs. AB's creator Alexey Nicolaychuk, aka Unwinder, somehow received permission, probably with MSI's help, from AMD to include the Dlls in AB. That is why the "Final" editions of AB can still do the Unofficial OC.

F$

Hmmm.... strange. :-? Maybe something was wrong on my rig, as the final 2.2.3 did not fix it. Anyhow, I now have the DLL files and a proper install, so it's all good.

Cheers again F$. :cool:

Fire$torm
08-04-12, 03:44 PM
Hmmm.... strange. :-? Maybe something was wrong on my rig, as the final 2.2.3 did not fix it. Anyhow, I now have the DLL files and a proper install, so it's all good.

Cheers again F$. :cool:

Hmmmm, Maybe Rommie couldn't stop Seamus Harper in time and he corrupted the AB install. Anyhoot, Andromeda Lives! :D

Mad Matt
08-05-12, 09:55 AM
Hmmmm, Maybe Rommie couldn't stop Seamus Harper in time and he corrupted the AB install. Anyhoot, Andromeda Lives! :D

Now, you knew which rig that was... :P But Rommie sux at controlling the espresso machine. ;)