PDA

View Full Version : Getting fed up with Radeon!

Fire$torm
08-25-12, 06:10 PM
Hi gang. Bad news. Lost the fan on my other HIS Radeon 5830 today. This designed obsolescence practiced by ATI/AMD and their partners is utter BS. But I guess as long as we keep buying them then why should they design/outsource better fans....?

I cannot find a stock replacement as HIS used a non-reference unit. And I don't know how long before I can get an AC Accelero Twin Turbo II.

Not a really good day so far.

F$

DrPop
08-25-12, 06:37 PM
Would that fan for the 5870 that you linked us to off Ebay work on the 5830? Sorry for the bad day...I'd say throw that 5870 from Z in there (the one you had in the Hydra rig) and at least you'll have something crunching that way...let me know if we can help you on the parts end of things. I honestly don't know if it's worth the $$$ for an aftermarket cooler on anything lower than a 5870, but that's just me looking at it from a utility cost per credits ratio. Obviously fixing what you've got is better than buying new most of the time on limited income...

One last thought - could you modify one of those sweet coolers you had on your old nVidia 8800 cards? I seem to remember you had 2 older nVidia cars with some hog aftermarket coolers on them. I know your skills man - you have mad modding in the blood! Maybe you could get one of those to work on your 5830? ;)

Fire$torm
08-25-12, 08:59 PM
Would that fan for the 5870 that you linked us to off Ebay work on the 5830? Sorry for the bad day...I'd say throw that 5870 from Z in there (the one you had in the Hydra rig) and at least you'll have something crunching that way...let me know if we can help you on the parts end of things. I honestly don't know if it's worth the $$$ for an aftermarket cooler on anything lower than a 5870, but that's just me looking at it from a utility cost per credits ratio. Obviously fixing what you've got is better than buying new most of the time on limited income...

One last thought - could you modify one of those sweet coolers you had on your old nVidia 8800 cards? I seem to remember you had 2 older nVidia cars with some hog aftermarket coolers on them. I know your skills man - you have mad modding in the blood! Maybe you could get one of those to work on your 5830? ;)

I wish I could. The HIS uses a different fan design. The 88s each used the Zalman VF1000. I sold one 88 some time ago as I needed cash for other hardware. The other 88 needed a new capacitor so instead I used its VF1000 to fix the 9800 I had. That is now in Blackie. Anyhoot, the VF1000 does not dissipate enough heat for the 5xxx series. So its either the VF3000A (too big) or the Arctic Cooler unit. I think I have a temporary solution. I dug up one of my old 80mm case fans and will try modding it to fit inside the HIS. The blades will protrude past the cover by 8~10 mm but if it works I can still crunch with it until I can order the Accelero.

Edit: Here is the lowest price I can find atm ---> http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-TWTUII&c=FR&pid=d17fc4789ba35d687e84a2e01709fad4017381c210dcd4 5bbbb07135b0c2002f&gclid=COa4gaveg7ICFSVgMgods30AMg

DrPop
08-25-12, 09:14 PM
Hmmm...you're right to be grumpy, $45 plus shipping to fix a 5830 doesn't sound real good. I'd honestly throw it on the back burner for awhile until one of us can come up with some parts, or something goes on sale. You have that 5870 sitting there to use now right? I'm sure Z won't mind it crunching on your account for awhile bro - you fixed it after all and that's more than the rest of us can say! :D ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Fire$torm
08-25-12, 11:04 PM
I thought about it but....

I did manage to fit that case fan I mentioned and it is working, just not as well as I had hoped. I had to down-clock the card to stock and its still running at 83C on Donate but its better then no credits at all.

The parts
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3408/partssmall.jpg

The Fitting
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1676/fittedfansmall.jpg

Final Assembly
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7794/finalassemblysmall.jpg

DrPop
08-26-12, 12:18 AM
haha...oh man! Your mad moddin' skills never disappoint, F$! :D hehe...you could of course try running POEM or Collatz for cooler operation if you need. ;)