PDA

View Full Version : OProject: optimized and non-cpu apps added

zombie67
08-28-12, 08:45 AM
FYI, Oproject has added a non-CPU sub-project "ALX". It pays a lot, especially when you consider it is just free additional credits.

Also, they added optimized, manual apps.

http://oproject.goldbach.pl/app_optymalizations.php

However there are no instructions (yet). I assume you need an app_info.xml, but I don't know if there is more to it or not. I haven't tried it out at all yet.

http://oproject.goldbach.pl/app_optymalizations.php

Al
08-28-12, 09:12 AM
Z, it's amazing on how you stay on top of this all this stuff.

Slicker
08-28-12, 09:33 AM
Z, it's amazing on how you stay on top of this all this stuff.

It takes a dedicated effort to know what's happening on every project, but that's what keeps Zombie in the MM lead. Better yet, we all get the benefit as well as Zombie always shares the good tidbits with the team. It's a win-win.

Slicker
08-28-12, 09:44 AM
I have a feeling that this project is going to get abused. The ALX application's code can be found in the olib code on google. The code does absolutely nothing. It sleeps for one day, writes a "1" to the output file, and then exits. Talk about cheap credit. Talk about easy to abuse. I'm not sure if it has checkpointing or not but if it does, one could probably spoof it easily to think every 10 seconds that a full day had passed.

According to the project's application information page, the ALX app does checkpoint and but finishes in 1 hour or so which means it might not be the same code as the in the olib source.

Al
08-28-12, 10:30 AM
Is this similar to freehal (nci) and, if so, do we need to do anything special to get work?

zombie67
08-28-12, 11:22 AM
Is this similar to freehal (nci) and, if so, do we need to do anything special to get work?

Just turn on ALX in your project preferences.

It is similar to freehal. But for this one, you cannot select a quantity. It will download a buttload of tasks and run them. I haven't had the chance to figure out if is a pre-defined number per core or per host yet.

Al
08-28-12, 11:52 AM
Figures...no work for ALX right now. Got it set to get some when available. Thanks.

kaptainkarl1
08-28-12, 08:37 PM
Need someone to set up the team on the project.

kaptainkarl1
08-28-12, 09:12 PM
I am set up as well thanks Z!

artemis8
08-30-12, 10:22 PM
I made an account, hasn't downloaded any wus yet, but sure it will eventually. Thanks.

Mike029
08-30-12, 11:21 PM
I made an account, hasn't downloaded any wus yet, but sure it will eventually. Thanks.

Same here waiting for the love/wu's. :p

kaptainkarl1
09-03-12, 02:48 PM
One of my rigs just got some of the ALX wus and they are taking up an entire CPU not running in the background like Free Hal. Am I missing something here? :confused:

zombie67
09-03-12, 04:18 PM
It used to be that non-CPU tasks could not be run from the same project as CPU tasks. So if you wanted to run both, you have to have two different project URLs. DA added a feature to the BOINC server to allow both to run from a single project site. This is the first project to try out the new code, and it has not been working right. First, it issued 100 per host, which is not what the project admin wanted, or was expected behavior. So he has been working with DA to get it fixed. DA modifies code, admin implements it on the project, etc, etc. It may be a while until it is working properly.

kaptainkarl1
09-03-12, 08:29 PM
It used to be that non-CPU tasks could not be run from the same project as CPU tasks. So if you wanted to run both, you have to have two different project URLs. DA added a feature to the BOINC server to allow both to run from a single project site. This is the first project to try out the new code, and it has not been working right. First, it issued 100 per host, which is not what the project admin wanted, or was expected behavior. So he has been working with DA to get it fixed. DA modifies code, admin implements it on the project, etc, etc. It may be a while until it is working properly.

Thanks Z! Just thought I might have missed a setting or just plain misread the posts. Wouldn't be the first time either.

zombie67
03-06-13, 12:29 AM
This thread needs to be moved to the project sub-forum.