PDA

View Full Version : HP 2230s troubles.

kaptainkarl1
08-31-12, 05:05 PM
I have an HP 2230s that keeps shutting off. It will run in safe mode with networking but dies during a normal windows start up. Any ideas?

I want to keep it crunching if I can.

John P. Myers
08-31-12, 07:06 PM
How long does it run in normal mode before it shuts off? Could be a heat-related issue. Might be the CPU heatsink and/or fan is failing.

kaptainkarl1
09-01-12, 12:47 PM
How long does it run in normal mode before it shuts off? Could be a heat-related issue. Might be the CPU heatsink and/or fan is failing.

Only partially boots in normal mode and then click it's off. When it asks to boot in safe mode I can get it to run with networking enabled for a while then it reboots itself randomly and ends up in windows runs a bit then reboots and dies during reboot.

Fan is running and it dies even if I place it on an ac vent which keeps it ice cold.

DrPop
09-01-12, 12:58 PM
Aw man. I'm definitely not the laptop guy (as evidenced in my recent help me upgrade my laptop thread) but...isn't that a sign of either a driver conflict or a hardware failure? Sounds like it's not running long enough to get very hot at all. I think if it boots in safe mode, but doesn't boot in regular mode, then either the registry is corrupted or there is some kind of driver conflict as it tries to load "specific" drivers in regular mode, and fails - yet in safe mode with generic drivers, it seems to boot.
Either way - I'd say if you can spare about 2 to 3 hours of your life one of these days, you could try blowing out the HDD and do a fresh install of Windows. If it fails after that, then I'd say it must be some kind of hardware issue.:confused:

kaptainkarl1
09-01-12, 01:39 PM
Aw man. I'm definitely not the laptop guy (as evidenced in my recent help me upgrade my laptop thread) but...isn't that a sign of either a driver conflict or a hardware failure? Sounds like it's not running long enough to get very hot at all. I think if it boots in safe mode, but doesn't boot in regular mode, then either the registry is corrupted or there is some kind of driver conflict as it tries to load "specific" drivers in regular mode, and fails - yet in safe mode with generic drivers, it seems to boot.
Either way - I'd say if you can spare about 2 to 3 hours of your life one of these days, you could try blowing out the HDD and do a fresh install of Windows. If it fails after that, then I'd say it must be some kind of hardware issue.:confused:

Ok. Will reinstall Windows and let you know how that goes. Thanks Dr. Pop!

Fire$torm
09-01-12, 02:56 PM
Ok. Will reinstall Windows and let you know how that goes. Thanks Dr. Pop!

If per chance you have a Win7 install disk then you can test your memory with its built-in memtest86+ utility. Memtest will reveal any defects in your system RAM.

c303a
09-01-12, 03:27 PM
If it is Win 7 you could also do a repair my computer or if you are going to blow away the HDD why not go to Microsoft.com and download the release preview of Win 8 for free for now.

kaptainkarl1
09-02-12, 12:23 PM
If per chance you have a Win7 install disk then you can test your memory with its built-in memtest86+ utility. Memtest will reveal any defects in your system RAM.
I am currently running diagnostics with HPs own built in software. I will use the memory test as well.

kaptainkarl1
09-02-12, 12:24 PM
If it is Win 7 you could also do a repair my computer or if you are going to blow away the HDD why not go to Microsoft.com and download the release preview of Win 8 for free for now.
Great Idea will do when I get to that point. Unfortunately the computer quit during the windows install and wants me to f/disk the drive. May be a hardware issue after all.

kaptainkarl1
09-02-12, 04:40 PM
I ran check disk and when I returned the blue screen was there with this message.

***Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

*** The system has halted ***

I don't think anyone at Ace or Lowes is going to be able to help me so I am asking for insight here. What component do you think is fubar.

DrPop
09-02-12, 06:07 PM
My guess is either HDD or RAM. Is there a Frys near you? They are selling a refurbished. Corsair Nova2 SSD 60GB for 35-ish dollars. Would smoke whatever HDD was in there ... just a thought. ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Fire$torm
09-03-12, 03:21 AM
My guess is either HDD or RAM. Is there a Frys near you? They are selling a refurbished. Corsair Nova2 SSD 60GB for 35-ish dollars. Would smoke whatever HDD was in there ... just a thought. ;)

++1 Me, myself and I would lean towards it being bad RAM.

One other possible cause could be the CPU overheating. If you run the lappy again and it BSODs then put your hand on the bottom of the case. If it feels really warm, like close to hot, then its the CPU overheating.

Earlier this year I got fed up with my Sony VIAO running at 86+ on most BOINC projects so I opened it up. When I removed the CPU cooler I found the the thermal paste had dried up completely. The residue was rock hard. Anyhoot, after I got it all fixed it now runs 15~18C cooler.

kaptainkarl1
09-03-12, 10:35 AM
++1 Me, myself and I would lean towards it being bad RAM.

One other possible cause could be the CPU overheating. If you run the lappy again and it BSODs then put your hand on the bottom of the case. If it feels really warm, like close to hot, then its the CPU overheating.

Earlier this year I got fed up with my Sony VIAO running at 86+ on most BOINC projects so I opened it up. When I removed the CPU cooler I found the the thermal paste had dried up completely. The residue was rock hard. Anyhoot, after I got it all fixed it now runs 15~18C cooler.

When I ran a HP diagnostic on the memory it tested fine. Does you still think it could be the ram? How can I test the temperature if the silly thing is locked into a check it can't seem to complete before dying?

kaptainkarl1
09-03-12, 10:49 AM

Found a 64gb ssd for $30 at Newegg after rebate of course.

kmanley57
09-03-12, 11:18 AM
In the situation you are having, run several passes of a memory test, and let it cook. If your C.P.U. gets too hot, it will stop. But if it runs fine for a while it is probably the drive.

But if it runs fine in safe mode and not under the 'standard' start-up, it sounds more like a hard drive issue.

Use a live CD Linux that has a memory test on the boot menu to keep from trying to run the memory test on the hard drive.
I think Ubuntu has a memory test.

DrPop
09-03-12, 01:51 PM
Good advice there. Ubuntu does have the mem test built in to their liveCD. You could download the distro, and burn the CD, boot the lappy off it and enter the mem test. As he said, try to leave it running awhile. If you come back and it's still running, then I think your RAM is good and I'd place my $30 bet on the SSD and a fresh OS install. That will probably have it crunching for a long time to come yet... :)

Fire$torm
09-03-12, 02:41 PM
Good advice there. Ubuntu does have the mem test built in to their liveCD. You could download the distro, and burn the CD, boot the lappy off it and enter the mem test. As he said, try to leave it running awhile. If you come back and it's still running, then I think your RAM is good and I'd place my $30 bet on the SSD and a fresh OS install. That will probably have it crunching for a long time to come yet... :)

+1 on the Ubuntu but may I suggest using a USB thumb drive instead. A 2GB or better will do just fine. The utility to get Ubuntu onto the thumb drive is called YUMI and can be had (Here (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/))

kaptainkarl1
09-13-12, 09:55 PM
Well I tried to install windows on the SSD and it blue screens me at the same spot every time. I am stumped and wondering if I just need to float test the little bastard.
If it is overheating the cpu how do I fix that?

Fire$torm
09-14-12, 02:42 AM
Well I tried to install windows on the SSD and it blue screens me at the same spot every time. I am stumped and wondering if I just need to float test the little bastard.
If it is overheating the cpu how do I fix that?

What is the error code of the BSOD? Did you run the code through Yahoo or Goggle?