PDA

View Full Version : Heat issue

kaptainkarl1
09-06-12, 11:58 AM
Got my 560ti 2 win last night and installed it underneath my 560ti 448 core and let em rip. However the 560ti 448 quickly shut down from high heat. I am guessing there is not enough room between the cards. Just my luck.

And I started getting a USB over current on during start up so I gave up for the night. It restarted fine this morning with my original gpus on board so I think I just need to figure out why it is overheating.

Asus KGPE16 mobo.

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

Fire$torm
09-06-12, 12:20 PM
Are you using Catalyst Control Center to manage fan speeds? If so then open CCC and uncheck automatic fan control. Then adjust the slider to increase fan speed to at least 50%. If you don't mind the noise set it higher.

Also, does your case have good airflow? like multiple intake and exhaust fans that are 120mm or larger?

kaptainkarl1
09-06-12, 02:11 PM
Are you using Catalyst Control Center to manage fan speeds? If so then open CCC and uncheck automatic fan control. Then adjust the slider to increase fan speed to at least 50%. If you don't mind the noise set it higher.

Also, does your case have good airflow? like multiple intake and exhaust fans that are 120mm or larger?

Haf X Full Tower case. I will check the settings but it seemed like the fans on both cards ramped up high and the card just got to hot after a minute or two.

John P. Myers
09-06-12, 06:03 PM
Can't seem to find a pic of a KGPE16 mobo, but i can tell you if there isn't a gap between those 2 cards that's at least an empty slot wide, you'll be suffocating one

Might need to pick up one of F$'s PCIe x16 ribbons and locate one of the cards elsewhere :)

Duke of Buckingham
09-06-12, 06:37 PM
Try kgpe d16 mobo and you will get this pictures.
https://img2.osg.pt/Motherboard-Asus-KGPE-D16-IKVM.1330_1296410632.jpg#thumb

or go to http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/KGPED16/ the Asus URL for that card.

And to buy or have more detailed information you can go https://www.osg.pt/produto/MOTASU041

I hope this can help you John P. Myers.

:p You know that pictures are with me. :D

Joking Duke

Duke of Buckingham
09-06-12, 06:41 PM
Sorry the previous link is for Europe for the USA is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-643-TS?$S300W$

Fire$torm
09-06-12, 08:11 PM
Thx Duke.

So with you having a HAF-X means plenty of space and air. And from the pic Duke posted it is definitely the spacing between the cards as JPM mentioned.

And the cable he referred to is from the post (Here (http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?3945-Low-Priced-PCIe-flexible-bus-extenders)).

The big problem is that the HAF-X does not have an offset mount for a PCI/PCIe card so you would have to fabricate your own mounting solution......

Edit: 1st look at MB I thought only the Blue slots were PCIe. Since that is wrong try moving the twin to the top (white) slot and the 560ti to a slot that will give you a 1 inch or better space between cards.

kaptainkarl1
09-06-12, 09:27 PM
Thx Duke.

So with you having a HAF-X means plenty of space and air. And from the pic Duke posted it is definitely the spacing between the cards as JPM mentioned.

And the cable he referred to is from the post (Here (http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?3945-Low-Priced-PCIe-flexible-bus-extenders)).

The big problem is that the HAF-X does not have an offset mount for a PCI/PCIe card so you would have to fabricate your own mounting solution......

Edit: 1st look at MB I thought only the Blue slots were PCIe. Since that is wrong try moving the twin to the top (white) slot and the 560ti to a slot that will give you a 1 inch or better space between cards.

The Ram is in the way. Any offset ideas would be great. I am ordering a pcie extender. And will hang the single gpu somewhere somehow...

Fire$torm
09-06-12, 10:27 PM
The Ram is in the way. Any offset ideas would be great. I am ordering a pcie extender. And will hang the single gpu somewhere somehow...

OK. I'll see if I can work up an idea or two. Hopefully I can figure out a simple solution. Since for the most part you won't need to attach a monitor to the card, more options are available.

Mumps
09-06-12, 10:36 PM

So, does the RAM block using both the white and blue sockets? Or can you use the blue one closest to the CPU's and the white one furthest away? (No, not the PCI, the further PCIe white slot.) At least in one blue, one white, that might net you at least one slot spacing.

DrPop
09-07-12, 01:03 AM
I'm thinking like Mumps on this. Please try one GPU in the top blue slot, and then the second GPU in the bottom white slot. Just skipping the one slot (the lower blue one will be empty) in between the cards will make all the difference.
Manually set the fan speed to 60 or 65% in Afterburner. Drop the RAM speed on the GPUs all the way down in Afterburner, this will help cut the heat and will not cost you any credits.

The big fan on the side of the HAF-X is blowing in, the top fans are blowing up (out) the front fan is blowing in and the rear fan is blowing out -- I had one of these cases before the ThorV2 and I can say it is very nice for airflow and 2 GPUs if setup correctly.
Hope this all helps! Awesome you got the new card so soon. :D

John P. Myers
09-07-12, 07:33 AM
Oh it's KGPE(D)16 :p nice board :)

Yeah i'm with Mumps and DrPop. and if your RAM doesn't fill all the slots, you could even use just the 2 white PCIe slots for the cards giving an even bigger gap, though the top blue and bottom white should do the trick. Hope that works for you!

Edit: Though it shouldn't be necessary, if you decide to go ahead with the PCIe extension cable, use this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Density-PCI-E-Express-16X-Riser-Card-Flex-Flexible-Extender-Extension-Cable-/170723241572?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27bfe5ee64

Since the slot is mounted at a 90 degree angle, you won't have to cut a hole in your case to allow for the mounting depth of the straight-plugin cables.

Another issue is, i can't tell for sure but it looks like the first PCIe slot on that mobo is alligned with slot #2 on the back of the case? If so, that means adding an extension would force the card to mount at slot #9 with the exhaust vent not being able to exhaust out the back of the case.

kaptainkarl1
09-07-12, 12:34 PM
So, does the RAM block using both the white and blue sockets? Or can you use the blue one closest to the CPU's and the white one furthest away? (No, not the PCI, the further PCIe white slot.) At least in one blue, one white, that might net you at least one slot spacing.

I will take another look after this weekend. It seemed like it would hit the power supply when I looked last night but I was really tired at the time. Would be brilliant if it would fit there. Then I could use the pci-e extender for another card....

kaptainkarl1
09-07-12, 12:42 PM
I'm thinking like Mumps on this. Please try one GPU in the top blue slot, and then the second GPU in the bottom white slot. Just skipping the one slot (the lower blue one will be empty) in between the cards will make all the difference.
Manually set the fan speed to 60 or 65% in Afterburner. Drop the RAM speed on the GPUs all the way down in Afterburner, this will help cut the heat and will not cost you any credits.

The big fan on the side of the HAF-X is blowing in, the top fans are blowing up (out) the front fan is blowing in and the rear fan is blowing out -- I had one of these cases before the ThorV2 and I can say it is very nice for airflow and 2 GPUs if setup correctly.
Hope this all helps! Awesome you got the new card so soon. :D

Yes it is set up how you describe. I will use afterburner to drop the ram speed. I love amazon prime.

Duke of Buckingham
09-07-12, 12:44 PM
No pictures? Well I can not help you anymore.
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/smithore/smithore0902/smithore090200018/4283447-upset-man-lost-in-cables-trying-to-repair-computer-and-calling-technician-support.jpg

Crazy Duke a good picture technician.:D

kaptainkarl1
09-10-12, 10:18 PM
Alright! Got the two cards in thanks guys. Just one problem. I have a 440gt sitting in the top slot but it no longer is recognized by boinc. It doesn't show up in Afterburner either.

What ever am I to do?

DrPop
09-11-12, 02:56 PM
What ever am I to do?

*Satire warning* Sell it and get something bigger! :)) LOL. :D haha

Just kidding. In all reality, I don't know why it won't see the other card. Sometimes you must uninstall ALL the video card drivers, and then reinstall them after you have both cards in for Windows to see both of them.

Fire$torm
09-11-12, 03:49 PM
One trick I have learned...

You have a system that is already setup with card(s) and drivers installed. If then you need to move any card to a different slot, you need to boot into Windows Safe Mode. This will give Windows a better chance of properly detecting and setting up the card in its new slot. Afterwards you can restart the system normally.

kaptainkarl1
09-11-12, 03:55 PM
One trick I have learned...

You have a system that is already setup with card(s) and drivers installed. If then you need to move any card to a different slot, you need to boot into Windows Safe Mode. This will give Windows a better chance of properly detecting and setting up the card in its new slot. Then restart.

I will give that a shot. It is odd that it recognizes the 560 ti 2win and the 560 ti 448 core but not the 440gt.

Heat is still an issue but nothing a fan pointed at the side of the box didn't fix.