PDA

View Full Version : GPU project choice and activity

denim
09-15-12, 12:03 PM
Just curious what would be the best GPU project to put a ATI Radeon HD 4200 on. I ask because it was crunching right along on Moo, but now it does not seem to get any work from Moo anymore, does not seem to get any SETI GPU work, and it will pop errors on PG PPS WU's. So I am curious which, of the projects I am currently running, which is the best project for this GPU. I would like to keep it on Moo, but with out it getting any WU's, I want to find a project for it, if not, it's a GPU not being used.

Thanks ahead of time. :)

trigggl
09-15-12, 03:11 PM
[b]Just curious what would be the best GPU project to put a ATI Radeon HD 4200 on. I ask because it was crunching right along on Moo, but now it does not seem to get any work from Moo anymore, does not seem to get any SETI GPU work, and it will pop errors on PG PPS WU's. So I am curious which, of the projects I am currently running, which is the best project for this GPU. I would like to keep it on Moo, but with out it getting any WU's, I want to find a project for it, if not, it's a GPU not being used.

Have you tried Poem?

Duke of Buckingham
09-15-12, 03:37 PM
Poem is better for the worst GPUs, try Poem denim. It is better for your graphic card.

Cruncher Pete
09-15-12, 05:41 PM
Poem is better for the worst GPUs, try Poem denim. It is better for your graphic card.

An added bonus should you wish to try POEM is that we are attempting to take the number one spot in this project however it takes and any help would be appreciated.

denim
09-15-12, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I will read up on POEM, but I was hoping not to add another project. Still not sure why it is not crunching Moo anymore. I know it will not do MW, and PG PPS error's out. :(

somanyroads
09-15-12, 08:23 PM

If I could ask a question . . . . I would like to run POEM, have a computer (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz) with two GPUs, one is PCIe, one is a GT430 (per Mr Myers) on PCI. Have latest nvidia drivers (306.23), have BOINC 7.0.28, have read http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?3658-Optimizing-POEM-OpenCL , which is Greek to me, downloaded app_info.xml and the rar file, extracted it, stuck them in Program Data Boinc, rebooted, downloaded Process Lasso, got the CPU program onto two cores, cannot get POEM onto the other two cores. The second GPU runs for a couple of seconds and starts over.

I've removed POEM and the associated files. MW and Collatz need no human intervention to run on these two GPUs in this older machine. They are so easy to run, why does POEM need so much tinkering?

Duke of Buckingham
09-15-12, 10:50 PM
If I could ask a question . . . . I would like to run POEM, have a computer (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz) with two GPUs, one is PCIe, one is a GT430 (per Mr Myers) on PCI. Have latest nvidia drivers (306.23), have BOINC 7.0.28, have read http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?3658-Optimizing-POEM-OpenCL , which is Greek to me, downloaded app_info.xml and the rar file, extracted it, stuck them in Program Data Boinc, rebooted, downloaded Process Lasso, got the CPU program onto two cores, cannot get POEM onto the other two cores. The second GPU runs for a couple of seconds and starts over.

I've removed POEM and the associated files. MW and Collatz need no human intervention to run on these two GPUs in this older machine. They are so easy to run, why does POEM need so much tinkering?

I have no idea but it seems to be true. But for sure I am not the best to ask this kind of questions. This is the kind of question to Matt or CH.

I have this idea that POEM is difficult for the second GPU on the same computer maybe it is because of the kind of processing that Poem needs to do. But for sure there are a lot of persons that knows how to explain that better than me.

Al
09-15-12, 11:54 PM

I haven't heard of anyone that can run poem on 2 NV cards in the same computer. For whatever reason it only likes NV in GPU 0. The 2nd NV card will do constant restarts. You can use the exclude command in the cc_config.xml file to exclude the 2nd (GPU 1) card. Poem will then run happily on the first NV card and you can crunch Collatz on the other. As for why all the tinkering, good question. I had to reconfigure 4 rigs just so I could use all my NV cards. Kind of a pain.