PDA

View Full Version : JPM - Open discussion on next gen CPUs please?

DrPop
09-25-12, 01:46 PM
Hi JPM - and anyone else that wants to pitch in, of course!
I read an article on Anandtech recently that was talking about Intel's first big symposium on Haswell . . . the point of this post being, that they mentioned there will not be much of a performance improvement on the CPU side over what is out now - I think they were saying like 10% or around there. So it will be essentially like an Ivy Bridge update over a Sandy Bridge. That wasn't exactly much, especially considering how high the SB overclocks! Apparently huge strides are being made in this next-gen CPU, but mostly all on the built-in GPU side of things.

Now for my question: Why should we care about Haswell, etc - if the big improvements are in the onboard GPU and not on the CPU side? Or is there more to it than that? Like increased RAM, BUS timings, better chipsets, etc - that would result in the CPU feeding the GPUs faster or more efficiently than our CPUs do now?
Lastly, do you think the onboard GPUs built in to Haswell and future Intel chips will be powerful enough to crunch with? Or would that even be a consideration, given the insane heat GPUs put off? If I had the choice, I would rather NOT have the GPU built in, simply for heat exchange purposes if nothing else. Crunching on an internal GPU (if possible) must severely hamper the CPU crunching due to power consumption and heat output.
Thanks for any discussion.

EDIT: Found the Article on Haswell here (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6277/haswell-up-to-128mb-onpackage-cache-ulv-gpu-performance-estimates).

Mike029
09-25-12, 02:20 PM
On my 2600k I run the monitor on the integrated gpu and leave the Cuda or AMD free to only crunch. Not a huge advantage but noticeable. I think Hankey did some testing and found it to be a nice improvement over having to use the crunching gpu.

John P. Myers
09-25-12, 06:33 PM
Well..a few months ago i was excited about Haswell and posted about it plenty, but since then Intel seems to have been backsliding. I'm not happy about it and would stay with sandy bridge before i upgraded to IB or haswell. They've scrapped the idea of the 2nd companion chip holding L4 cache as well as the idea of any CPUs with more than 4 cores. For those that overclock, SB is still the better deal since clock rates can be brought up higher than the IB counterparts due to Intel using garbage thermal grease between the heatspreader and the CPU instead of directly soldering it.

However, Haswell-E for socket 2011 will be decent, though it is not compatible with current socket 2011 mobos, and this is not fixable with a BIOS update. And it still won't be as good as Intel originally intended Haswell to be.

It makes me angry and disappointed at Intel, even though i know it's AMD's fault for continuously producing garbage that Intel beats without even trying very hard. And since they don't *have* to try hard, they don't. Same reason Nvidia renamed the 660Ti to the GTX 680, because it was good enough to give AMD a run for their money, but not as good as it should've been. The consumers and the overall progress of computational evolution pays the price for this.

Moore's law is a joke. It is being intentionally adhered to, as if the best they can possibly do just happens to be what Moore's law states they should be able to do. It's not the case and this is an obvious example. They dumb down their chips based on what the competition can do, not based on what they could really do. Btw, Moore was one of the co-founders of Intel. Coincidence? pfft

On the plus side, the enthusiast Haswell chips will have weaker on-die GPUs than the mid-range CPUs. Imo, it's still more GPU than one should find on an enthusiast chip (it should be none, with 2 extra cores in place of it). But as i've said, no one's opinion counts. The only thing that matters is AMD's inability to make something challenging.

John P. Myers
09-25-12, 07:17 PM
I will say that if you do video transcoding, definitely go with Haswell.

One of Intel's main arguments is no one needs more than 4 cores, and if they do, they can buy a Xeon. Well, Intel doesn't know us very well :p AMD is coming out with the Piledriver CPUs shortly. Can get an 8-core CPU for ~$260 (FX-8350). Sure it might *still* be 32nm, still only have 8MB L3 cache, still be 125W TDP, but for our purposes, it will be faster (not per core, but overall). October 23rd. 4GHz base clock speed.

Edit: oh yeah, along with everything else Haswell won't be doing, it won't be supporting DDR4 anymore either, last i heard.

DrPop
09-25-12, 07:30 PM
Darn. OK, that kind of sums up what I was getting from that article, then - not exactly a cruncher's dream chip like was hoped. I soooo wish AMD could fix the flaws in Bulldozer and then we'd have some competition again! :p
Hmmm...makes me wonder how far into the next generation of AMD CPUs ASUS will support the new mobo I got in Cheetah?

c303a
09-25-12, 08:01 PM
I think I will just stay with the I2600K that I have now. I have it running on a Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 motherboard and with the Asus Suite overclock program it is running at 4430.0 and the temp is running at 62 degrees. That is at full load for all the cores plus Freehal, Wuprop and GPUGrid. It should start on Poem again shortly and it just keeps crunching.

John P. Myers
09-25-12, 08:08 PM
Darn. OK, that kind of sums up what I was getting from that article, then - not exactly a cruncher's dream chip like was hoped. I soooo wish AMD could fix the flaws in Bulldozer and then we'd have some competition again! :p
Hmmm...makes me wonder how far into the next generation of AMD CPUs ASUS will support the new mobo I got in Cheetah?

The new Piledriver CPUs are expected to be 10-15% faster than bulldozer and still compatible with AM3+ sockets

John P. Myers
09-25-12, 08:42 PM
oooooh looky, preorders :p

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2012/2012092001_Pre-order_prices_of_AMD_FX_Piledriver_CPUs.html

John P. Myers
09-25-12, 09:01 PM
AMD is coming out with the Piledriver CPUs shortly. Can get an 8-core CPU for ~$260 (FX-8350). Sure it might *still* be 32nm, still only have 8MB L3 cache, still be 125W TDP, but for our purposes, it will be faster (not per core, but overall). October 23rd. 4GHz base clock speed.

Upon further thought, maybe a bit of caution is advised. It is still AMD after all lol

At the high end, best bet, Piledriver could be as much as 25% faster than the current fastest Bulldozer. 15% per clock increase + 10% higher clock. But would a 25% faster Bulldozer be faster than Haswell's version of a 2600K? Hmmm...

Of course didn't they say IB would be 10-15% faster than SB too? And didn't it turn out to actually be 3-7%? lol

So i suppose i'll end this part of the discussion with 3 famous words:

I don't know.

DrPop
09-25-12, 09:13 PM
OK...we take the wait and see approach then. ;) Bottom line for me is that I see CPU is literally tapped out. GPU is it. But then, the problem becomes, (like in POEM for example), the CPU % utilization is way high even just feeding the GPUs! :P
Ahhhh...someday we're going to need 16 core monster CPUs just to keep spooning the GPUs WUs! :D haha

John P. Myers
10-09-12, 06:09 PM
At the high end, best bet, Piledriver could be as much as 25% faster than the current fastest Bulldozer. 15% per clock increase + 10% higher clock. But would a 25% faster Bulldozer be faster than Haswell's version of a 2600K? Hmmm...

So it was restated today in an interview with AMD conducted by TigerDirect that the new Piledriver (Vishera) CPUs are still going to be compatible with socket AM3+, however the estimated speed increase has come down. Previously it was said there would be up to a 15% instruction per clock increase. This has now been lowered to only a 7% increase. Boo. Still, there is also the 10% higher clock speed to combine with that. So if you already have an AM3+ mobo, it could be worth the upgrade.

By my estimates, the 8-core version (FX-8350) should perform on par with a 4-core i7-3770k at stock speeds, except use more power, though it is a bit more power efficient than it's Bulldozer counterpart.

Release date is still Oct. 23rd.

Fire$torm
10-10-12, 01:34 AM
So that means it will outperform an i7-920, yes?

John P. Myers
10-10-12, 12:09 PM
So that means it will outperform an i7-920, yes?

Yes by about double, which the 3770K does. But it's just my estimate. Don't go out spending money on AM3+ stuff until we see the actual numbers. Don't need to be let down again like with Bulldozer :(

But if you already have an AM3+ mobo, then it will definitely be a worthwhile upgrade :)

John P. Myers
10-23-12, 03:25 AM
As promised, October 23rd. Time for the new AMD CPUs...and i'm disappointed yet again :(

Depending on how you justify it, at least the FX-8350 (125W TDP) is cheaper than the i7-3770K (77W TDP)by $110. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&name=Processors-Desktops

More benchmarking: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2055/1/

pinhodecarlos
10-23-12, 03:54 AM
Depending on how you justify it, at least the FX-8350 (125W TDP) is cheaper than the i7-3770K (77W TDP)by $110.

I don't see an advantage of being cheaper when the i7 consumes less energy. At my price of electricity the i7 will become cheaper after 597 days of non stop use without taking into consideration its productivity.

Fire$torm
10-23-12, 12:46 PM
I don't see an advantage of being cheaper when the i7 consumes less energy. At my price of electricity the i7 will become cheaper after 597 days of non stop use without taking into consideration its productivity.

Correct and [H]ardOCP sees it the same way as stated in the conclusion of their review (Here (http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/22/amd_fx8350_piledriver_processor_ipc_overclocking/6)). But I do see some potential for the 8320 with its 95W TDP and its apparent ability to OC. This would put the 8320 in the Sweet Spot of the Vishera line.

John P. Myers
10-23-12, 10:29 PM
Moving back to Haswell, more info has surfaced on the Z87 chipset which will support the Haswell line - Socket 1150. Legacy connectors, such as IDE are no longer supported. SATA II is gone. Everything will be SATA III. PCI slots are gone. Everything will be PCIe with up to 8 PCIe slots. Next year, when boards with the Z87 chipset are released (April-ish) marks the 20th anniversary of the PCI slot and Intel has decided it's time for them to go poof.

Of course SATA II is still supported with the SATA III connectors. Most boards currently have a mixture of both. Z87 will support up to 8 SATA III connectors as well as Thunderbolt.

Fire$torm
10-24-12, 12:45 AM
Although I understand that many people might still make use of the legacy stuff, I'm glad its going away. I don't like the concept of paying for tech I'll never use. Like RS-232 which you can still find on boards today.

coronicus
10-24-12, 05:03 AM
Although I understand that many people might still make use of the legacy stuff, I'm glad its going away. I don't like the concept of paying for tech I'll never use. Like RS-232 which you can still find on boards today.

Aye agreed.. finally boards without pci,ide ,and sata2 so should be cheaper to make... So now maybe i can get a 3-4 pcie slots without paying the heafty $200+ for some extra pcie controller.

John P. Myers
10-28-12, 09:11 PM
Intel to make Haswell easily supported by Linux (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxMjc).

John P. Myers
11-23-12, 07:18 PM
I mentioned before that even though Haswell will be a new socket (1150) and sockets usually last 2 generations (meaning Broadwell would also use socket 1150), that it was unlikely they'd be compatible with each other due to Broadwell's multi-chip package design.

That no longer matters. Tick-tock is being abandoned. Word out now is that Haswell will be the final CPU from Intel that you can upgrade. Broadwell will use BGA packaging, meaning the CPU will be directly soldered to the motherboard. This has efficiency and heat benefits, but you can see how upgrading will require replacing the entire motherboard. How this will effect motherboard manufacturers and options included on motherboards is not yet known.

"Extreme" processors and Xeons are not expected to be effected.

Fire$torm
11-24-12, 12:01 AM
If AMD does not follow suite then Intel will have to rethink this strategy, as it could potentially cost them considerable market share.

Reason: Other then mass market consumers of HP & Dell products (and the like), users will not want to be tied into having to bare the cost of upgrading in that scenario. Many will move to AMD products. Plus the burden of delivering to market, while maintaining a viable profit, solutions that consumers find appealing, shifts completely to the MB makers. Only Intel can do that.

Funny thing is, Intel is the company primarily responsible in forging the upgrade ecosystem that now exists. And now to abandon it to this degree, is the equivalent of a giant middle finger to a good number of Intel's market partners... I'm sure they are all so excited by Intel's announcement. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the public arena.

Of course I could be totally off base. Time will tell.

John P. Myers
11-26-12, 05:13 PM
Intel Kills Off the Desktop (http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/)

Fire$torm
11-26-12, 05:55 PM
So, it has begun....

I really can't believe Intel is this stupid. They only hold the majority market share because they catered to the enthusiast market and the trickle down effect this had on the mass market. It was gamers and the gamer segment that pushed the limits of PC tech for the masses, not the server market, not the IT market, nor any other market or combination of markets. So the question is, will AMD and the others step up to the plate?

This strategy of Intel's smacks of complete control. Control of the market, control of the masses and control of information. It is obvious that Intel thinks they are now invincible. That they can do as they please and the world will just fall in line. Case in point; If you think DRM is bad now, just wait and see what Intel has in store for the future. Intel wants to be the Key Master.

The truth is as long as the market refuses to concede, then there is hope that Intel will fail. Failure will force Intel to scuttle their plans or fold.

Again, time will tell.

coronicus
11-26-12, 06:10 PM
Intel Kills Off the Desktop (http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/)

Time for amd to step it up and crush intel.. poor motherboard manufactorers i see allot of jobs lost over this.

zombie67
11-26-12, 06:16 PM

I must be missing something. I don't see that any of this article has anything to do will killing off desktop PCs.

PC makers will build the mobos with the CPU soldered on. They already do this for the mobile market, laptops and all-in-one PCs like the iMac.

I also don't see how this (necessarily) kills off 3rd party mobo manufacturers, like MSI/ASUS/etc. They can build their boards with the CPUs soldered on, just like they do all the other chips. Sure, it means more SKUs, or less selection.

It looks like apple may be going down the ARM path for it's desktops (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-05/apple-said-to-be-exploring-switch-from-intel-chips-for-the-mac.html), and 64 bit coming soon. So I wonder what other PC manufacturers or mobo manufactures may be planning in that space. Crunchers with similar performance, but lower power consumption would be welcome!

John P. Myers
11-26-12, 09:11 PM
PC makers will build the mobos with the CPU soldered on.
PC makers do not make their own motherboards, with the exception of MSI, Asus, Samsung and Toshiba. Maybe a couple others. Point is, everyone else, such as Dell and HP, DO order the CPUs from Intel and stick them in a motherboard made by someone else. This way, they can pretend they have several different models available when it's the exact same motherboard with a slightly different CPU in it. These PC "makers" will no longer be ordering truckloads of CPUs.

They already do this for the mobile market, laptops and all-in-one PCs like the iMac.
Yes. All of which are not meant to upgraded. Desktops are. No one is going to post pics of their all-in-one bragging about what an awesome gaming machine they've got. As F$ said, it's the enthusiasts and gamers that drove everything to where it is now. Closer to home, every one of us here enjoys the hell out of upgrading. We talk about it every single day. Soldering CPUs to the motherboard takes this away from us because now instead of scratching up $300 for a nice high-end mainstream CPU, we also must spring for the nice high-end motherboard it's stuck to, greatly reducing the likelyhood anyone would bother. The constant buying/selling/trading of core components has driven this market for many years. Won't be quite so constant anymore.

I also don't see how this (necessarily) kills off 3rd party mobo manufacturers, like MSI/ASUS/etc. They can build their boards with the CPUs soldered on, just like they do all the other chips. Sure, it means more SKUs, or less selection.
Fear of unsellable inventory. When you make your own motherboard, the amount of money you have in it isn't very staggering. When you also are now buying shelves full of Intel chips to have on-hand to solder to the boards (which they have never had to do before), your investment is now at least tripled.

Also, Intel itself. They make motherboards too. Why sell CPUs to anyone at all when they can solder them all on theirselves? Now every other motherboard maker fights to stay alive since they can only make motherboards for AMD's jokes of processors. With any luck, maybe AMD will support PCIe 3.0 by 2014 when this all goes into effect :/

It looks like apple may be going down the ARM path for it's desktops (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-05/apple-said-to-be-exploring-switch-from-intel-chips-for-the-mac.html), and 64 bit coming soon. So I wonder what other PC manufacturers or mobo manufactures may be planning in that space. Crunchers with similar performance, but lower power consumption would be welcome!

No thanks. Switching to ARM means a loss of performance. A large loss. What Apple is saying, is that they're hoping in a few years they will be "good enough" for desktops by 2017, similar to the way a Pentium I is still "good enough" to surf the internet with. In short, it'll never happen. The whole point of ARM is to allow for slimmer/thinner computers which defeats the purpose of putting one in a desktop, same as you won't find an Intel Atom on an ATX motherboard. And forget 2017, i bet Apple is no longer making desktops by 2015. Anyway, as much better as ARMs will be by 2017, how much better will CPUs be as well, also using less and less power? In order for an ARM to do what a CPU does, it would have to evolve to the point where it was no longer an ARM, other than in name. As they progress and as CPUs progress, ARMs will fade themselves from the market and be absorbed by CPUs.

AMD is moving to make these 64-bit ARMs, as is Samsung. Samsung has actually already made the BIG.little ARMs at 32bit, containing 2 quad-core clusters, each running at different speeds. AMD just now coming into the ARM market is a mistake if they're hoping to do anything in the desktop market. ARMs will be great for servers, but only because you can pile thousands of them together cheaply with little heat to accomplish something. 1 chip by itself in a desktop though...ugh.

zombie67
11-26-12, 09:52 PM
PC makers do not make their own motherboards, with the exception of MSI, Asus, Samsung and Toshiba. Maybe a couple others. Point is, everyone else, such as Dell and HP, DO order the CPUs from Intel and stick them in a motherboard made by someone else. This way, they can pretend they have several different models available when it's the exact same motherboard with a slightly different CPU in it. These PC "makers" will no longer be ordering truckloads of CPUs.

Dell (for example) makes their own motherboards. I mean, they may sub-contract it to an External Manufacturer like foxconn, celestica, etc. But the point is that they are not buying off-the-shelf mobos and putting CPUs on them. And they have the EMs install the CPUs and test the mobo assemblies as a full unit already. So the only difference is the CPU mounting method for the EM. Also, the same number of CPUs will be bought. No reason the quantity will change. They will just be BGA (or whatever) rather than socketed.

Yes. All of which are not meant to upgraded. Desktops are. No one is going to post pics of their all-in-one bragging about what an awesome gaming machine they've got. As F$ said, it's the enthusiasts and gamers that drove everything to where it is now. Closer to home, every one of us here enjoys the hell out of upgrading. We talk about it every single day. Soldering CPUs to the motherboard takes this away from us because now instead of scratching up $300 for a nice high-end mainstream CPU, we also must spring for the nice high-end motherboard it's stuck to, greatly reducing the likelyhood anyone would bother. The constant buying/selling/trading of core components has driven this market for many years. Won't be quite so constant anymore.

Enthusiast home-built PCs are are very very small fraction of PCs built. Almost no PCs ever have their CPUs upgraded. Statistically, it's just a rounding error. Those high-end components have a nice fat margin, but do not drive the a very large part of the over-all profit.

Fear of unsellable inventory. When you make your own motherboard, the amount of money you have in it isn't very staggering. When you also are now buying shelves full of Intel chips to have on-hand to solder to the boards (which they have never had to do before), your investment is now at least tripled.

...as is your selling price and profit. Sure, it is more money temporarily tied up in inventory. And that may very well mean some of the smaller companies can't make it. It happens. On the other hand, as an OEM mobo designer, knowing the CPU that will be mounted on a board is a HUGE advantage. No need to make it universal for all CPUs that may fit the socket. Now you can customize it for exactly a specific CPU, and the likely buyer for that CPU. No need to over build (and over spend) a board if you are putting a lesser CPU on it.

Also, Intel itself. They make motherboards too. Why sell CPUs to anyone at all when they can solder them all on theirselves? Now every other motherboard maker fights to stay alive since they can only make motherboards for AMD's jokes of processors. With any luck, maybe AMD will support PCIe 3.0 by 2014 when this all goes into effect :/

They could decide *today*, with socketed CPUs, not to sell the CPUs to anyone. You want intel? Then you buy intel mobo+CPU combos. The mounting method change doesn't change this issue.

No thanks. Switching to ARM means a loss of performance. A large loss. What Apple is saying, is that they're hoping in a few years they will be "good enough" for desktops by 2017, similar to the way a Pentium I is still "good enough" to surf the internet with. In short, it'll never happen. The whole point of ARM is to allow for slimmer/thinner computers which defeats the purpose of putting one in a desktop, same as you won't find an Intel Atom on an ATX motherboard. And forget 2017, i bet Apple is no longer making desktops by 2015. Anyway, as much better as ARMs will be by 2017, how much better will CPUs be as well, also using less and less power? In order for an ARM to do what a CPU does, it would have to evolve to the point where it was no longer an ARM, other than in name. As they progress and as CPUs progress, ARMs will fade themselves from the market and be absorbed by CPUs.

AMD is moving to make these 64-bit ARMs, as is Samsung. Samsung has actually already made the BIG.little ARMs at 32bit, containing 2 quad-core clusters, each running at different speeds. AMD just now coming into the ARM market is a mistake if they're hoping to do anything in the desktop market. ARMs will be great for servers, but only because you can pile thousands of them together cheaply with little heat to accomplish something. 1 chip by itself in a desktop though...ugh.

I am optimistic about the performance curve of ARM, and other similar low power CPUs, over time. We'll see.

But getting back to my original point: What does this have to do with the desktop dying? Even if the enthusiast market shrinks or dies, that is just a small slice of the PC market. Does desktop maybe mean something I don't know? Is "desktop" a slang term for "gaming" or something?

John P. Myers
11-26-12, 11:13 PM
But getting back to my original point: What does this have to do with the desktop dying? Even if the enthusiast market shrinks or dies, that is just a small slice of the PC market. Does desktop maybe mean something I don't know?
Not really, but the way it was used in that article "Desktop" meant "Desktops as we know them" or "Desktops: in the sense of what we've come to expect from them". Obviously there will still be desktops with soldered CPUs.

Dell (for example) makes their own motherboards. I mean, they may sub-contract it to an External Manufacturer like foxconn, celestica, etc. But the point is that they are not buying off-the-shelf mobos and putting CPUs on them. And they have the EMs install the CPUs and test the mobo assemblies as a full unit already. So the only difference is the CPU mounting method for the EM. Also, the same number of CPUs will be bought. No reason the quantity will change. They will just be BGA (or whatever) rather than socketed.
No, they don't buy boards off a shelf. The boards they buy are specifically made for them. Yes. But what happens is, now every motherboard maker has to buy the chips instead. This will reduce quantity discounts as the purchases are more spread out and likely more choppy, preferring to under-order and place a new order when they need them for safety rather than have Intel send in an 18-wheeler full as they do now (metaphorically, of course).

The motherboard manufacturers will be the ones soldering these CPUs to their boards now. Companies like Dell and HP won't. Why spend $1mil+ on the equipment to do it? I don't really know what it costs, but it's extremely high. It's also different to soldering the chips that are already soldered, so there may even be some motherboard manufacturers who can't spring for this tech. The difference is, regular chips all have their connection pins around the perimeter of the chip. You can physically get to them. In BGA, this isn't the case. Both chips that make up Broadwell's multi-chip design are mounted to a board, as they are now, just larger. Then this board containing the 2 chips has to be soldered to the motherboard. How would you do that cheaply and have the capacity to do thousands per day? Thousands of points to be soldered, all on a plane in-between the chips and the motherboard. How many pins can you reach with a soldering gun? Not a single one because it fits flush to the board. How do you not mistakenly bridge 2 pins together that are less than 0.75mm apart? Very tricky.

Almost no PCs ever have their CPUs upgraded. Not true. Corporations upgrade their CPUs all the time by the hundreds or thousands. You can see this on eBay and Amazon. Sometimes they will try to sell off large lots of their old used CPUs. Yes, enthusiasts make up a small amount of the market, but it's not only enthusiasts that make simple CPU upgrades. Average Joe consumer has been known to take their computer to a shop and have them upgrade the CPU, or have their geek nephew do it :p None of these online computer parts places could survive off of enthusiasts alone. Millions of average people do in fact upgrade their computers, they just aren't considered "enthusiasts".

Also remember millions of PCs are bought online or from local shops that customize computers. Tell them what you want, they buy the parts and assemble it. These are also not "enthusiasts". But with soldered CPUs, the customization isn't as customizable as it is now. Minor issue? Maybe. We'll see.

Then there are the multitudes of people that fry their CPUs and motherboards. Overheating, electrical surges, PCIe slot goes bad, whatever. Why do you now have to pay to replace your CPU when your motherboard dies? Why do you now have to pay to replace your motherboard when the CPU dies? Unacceptable.

They could decide *today*, with socketed CPUs, not to sell the CPUs to anyone. You want intel? Then you buy intel mobo+CPU combos. The mounting method change doesn't change this issue. Of course it changes the issue. With just a socket, anyone can pop their old CPU out and sell it, and buy another one from someone else who did the same. Point is, Intel could never control that, and they've made billions by *not* doing that. And they really didn't want to anyway. It's just more of a headache.

From my post about this a few days before this article was written, i said it wasn't expected to effect the "Extreme" CPUs. What i meant by that was i didn't think Intel would solder whatever replaces socket 2011 (which is also socket 2011, but called different things depending who you ask). This article seems to imply everything Broadwell will be soldered, even Broadwell-E. I still doubt it, but if they did, that is why they see enthusiasts being killed off, because most enthusiasts don't use socket 2011, even though they're more powerful, because of the disproportionate price Intel charges. Same with Xeons. An extra 0.1GHz is not worth $400 more.

I do admit i'd like to see a reduction in the number of different CPUs available. Between the low- and high-end, there's just way too much filler. Chips that would never be used if it weren't for OEM. Same goes for motherboards. There are just too many. Not too many brands, just too many models. And while i'm complaining, there's too many different cases as well. :p

I'd love to see each of these reduced by 15% or so. But it goes to prove a point: all of this useless (to me) junk exists because it can. Because the market is strong enough to allow it to exist. And next to none of this is being bought by enthusiasts. It's all being bought by average Joe.

zombie67
11-27-12, 12:04 AM
No, they don't buy boards off a shelf. The boards they buy are specifically made for them. Yes. But what happens is, now every motherboard maker has to buy the chips instead. This will reduce quantity discounts as the purchases are more spread out and likely more choppy, preferring to under-order and place a new order when they need them for safety rather than have Intel send in an 18-wheeler full as they do now (metaphorically, of course).

I am not clear who you are talking about for many of your points. Are you talking about EMs for computer suppliers (like foxconn) or the specialty market mobo suppliers like GIGABYTE or EVGA? Because it makes a difference. If you are talking about EMs for folks like Dell, then they are already buying all the CPUs today, just in socketed form. Same discounts, same everything. It's all just part of the component cost to the customer. Often a major customer like Dell will negotiate the cost of the major components directly with the component suppliers, and then pass that on to the EMs. There is no change to the model when the desktop platforms move to BGA. Many mobos have other BGA components on them anyway. The CPU is just one more. If you are talking about specialty market mobo suppliers, well then like I said, they are going to have higher expenses and higher revenue. Can they make it work? Maybe. I'm sure it will depend on the individual companies, and the decisions they make.

The motherboard manufacturers will be the ones soldering these CPUs to their boards now. Companies like Dell and HP won't. Why spend $1mil+ on the equipment to do it? I don't really know what it costs, but it's extremely high. It's also different to soldering the chips that are already soldered, so there may even be some motherboard manufacturers who can't spring for this tech. The difference is, regular chips all have their connection pins around the perimeter of the chip. You can physically get to them. In BGA, this isn't the case. Both chips that make up Broadwell's multi-chip design are mounted to a board, as they are now, just larger. Then this board containing the 2 chips has to be soldered to the motherboard. How would you do that cheaply and have the capacity to do thousands per day? Thousands of points to be soldered, all on a plane in-between the chips and the motherboard. How many pins can you reach with a soldering gun? Not a single one because it fits flush to the board. How do you not mistakenly bridge 2 pins together that are less than 0.75mm apart? Very tricky.

Again, I am wondering if you are mixing the two different models? For the major EM such as foxconn, they already have plenty of the equipment to do the BGA stuff. BGA is a basic requirement for any computer company to even consider an EM as a supplier. If you are talking about the specialty market mobo suppliers, then yeah, they may have equipment investments to make.

Not true. Corporations upgrade their CPUs all the time by the hundreds or thousands. You can see this on eBay and Amazon. Sometimes they will try to sell off large lots of their old used CPUs. Yes, enthusiasts make up a small amount of the market, but it's not only enthusiasts that make simple CPU upgrades. Average Joe consumer has been known to take their computer to a shop and have them upgrade the CPU, or have their geek nephew do it :p None of these online computer parts places could survive off of enthusiasts alone. Millions of average people do in fact upgrade their computers, they just aren't considered "enthusiasts".

Also remember millions of PCs are bought online or from local shops that customize computers. Tell them what you want, they buy the parts and assemble it. These are also not "enthusiasts". But with soldered CPUs, the customization isn't as customizable as it is now. Minor issue? Maybe. We'll see.

Then there are the multitudes of people that fry their CPUs and motherboards. Overheating, electrical surges, PCIe slot goes bad, whatever. Why do you now have to pay to replace your CPU when your motherboard dies? Why do you now have to pay to replace your motherboard when the CPU dies? Unacceptable.

Even so, even including corporate upgrades, that is still a micro slice of the CPU pie. It's just cheaper to replace a vanilla box, when you factor in all the overhead. Particularly in massive data farms (google, amazon, etc). The numbers are staggering.

Of course it changes the issue. With just a socket, anyone can pop their old CPU out and sell it, and buy another one from someone else who did the same. Point is, Intel could never control that, and they've made billions by *not* doing that. And they really didn't want to anyway. It's just more of a headache.

I wasn't clear. I meant from Intel's perspective. They could monopolize/silo the (intel) market, not sell CPUs to anyone, and force people to buy stuffed mobos from Intel today if they wanted. No direct attach needed. The attach method has nothing to do with it. It's all about what business does Intel want to be in, and maybe that is changing.

For what it's worth, my job is managing PCBA and computer manufacturing at major EMs.

John P. Myers
11-27-12, 09:30 PM
As more information pops up on this topic, it's possible this whole debate is pointless, but still strange news. It seems some sites have been able to somewhat confirm there will be no desktop CPUs at all in Broadwell. If that's true, of course BGA makes perfect sense as the chips would be used for all-in-one's at the "high" end, and go down from there to laptops, ultrabooks, etc. But no desktop CPUs? Hmmmm...

So, who knows? Of course Intel itself will neither confirm nor deny anything at all about products that are not yet made public (by Intel).

John P. Myers
12-12-12, 05:12 PM
http://twimages.vr-zone.net/2012/12/haswell.jpg

zombie67
12-12-12, 06:55 PM
Thanks!

Two different, yet almost identical, unlocked speeds? That's odd.

Also, still no 6 core models. *sigh*

Fire$torm
12-12-12, 09:16 PM
One of the column headers reads FMB.

FMB? As in Fixed module Block? Or Fixed Mounting Block? Or something completely different?

John P. Myers
12-12-12, 09:45 PM
One of the column headers reads FMB.

FMB? As in Fixed module Block? Or Fixed Mounting Block? Or something completely different?

I *think* it stands for Flexible Motherboard, as in the chip is designed to work in a variety of different motherboards, instead of restricted to certain types the way the Atoms are. The number underneath, such as "2013D" denotes the specification or version of the FMB conformity.

Fire$torm
12-12-12, 11:42 PM
OK Thanks.

John P. Myers
12-29-12, 10:38 AM
Just came across some new info that Haswell will have the VRMs integrated on the same substrate as the CPU. The VRMs will be on a separate 25A power chip and capable of up to 320 phases (20 VRMs @ 16 phases). This move should make motherboards cheaper, but less customizable by manufacturers. No word yet if this will increase the cost of Haswell over it's ivy bridge counterparts.

John P. Myers
12-30-12, 01:38 AM
What's even more interesting, and reinforces the "desktop BGA apocalypto" theory, is the fact that there won't be a dual-core Broadwell processor in the LGA1150 package. So most entry- thru mainstream chips, which are dual-core, will be built in the BGA package. So for anyone with less than say $200 to spend on motherboard+CPU, motherboards with CPUs hardwired will be sold in the markets

Well that's good news if it holds true.

The bad news? It's been reported Haswell has been delayed until sometime between May 27th and June 7th. My guess is June 2nd since it's a sunday and that's when Intel typically releases new chips. There is no known reason for this delay, other than Computex beginning on June 4th which Intel could use as a grand release party. As i mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, Intel has abandoned the tick-tock scheme of releasing a new line once every year. So, even though Intel has had working Haswell chips for a very long time, and has had working 14nm Broadwell chips for a couple months or 3, they're just sitting around not caring a whole lot about it. Damn you AMD for sucking so hard :(

John P. Myers
01-22-13, 08:39 PM
Dun dun dunnnnnn....

Intel to Exit the Desktop Motherboard Business After Haswell (http://hothardware.com/News/The-End-of-an-Era-Intel-Exits-Motherboard-Market/)

No big deal though since Intel only produces the 2nd largest variety of motherboards (Asus is first) *cough*

The end of an era.

zombie67
01-22-13, 08:42 PM
Dun dun dunnnnnn....

Intel to Exit the Desktop Motherboard Business After Haswell (http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/65765.aspx)

No big deal though since Intel only produces the 2nd largest variety of motherboards (Asus is first) *cough*

The end of an era.

That link takes me to a login page. This one worked for me:

http://hothardware.com/News/The-End-of-an-Era-Intel-Exits-Motherboard-Market/

Edit: Now that I read the article....

Meh. I was never a fan of intel mobos. They did not allow OC back when I was still looking at their line up.

Fire$torm
01-22-13, 08:42 PM
Dun dun dunnnnnn....

Intel to Exit the Desktop Motherboard Business After Haswell (http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/65765.aspx)

The end of an era.

Derpa derp derp....

Your link requires user name and password...... :P

Plz post content? Pretty plz? [-O<

John P. Myers
01-22-13, 08:51 PM
Derpa derp derp....

Your link requires user name and password...... :P

Plz post content? Pretty plz? [-O<

oops :/ fixed :D

http://hothardware.com/News/The-End-of-an-Era-Intel-Exits-Motherboard-Market/

John P. Myers
01-23-13, 05:11 PM
Meh. I was never a fan of intel mobos. They did not allow OC back when I was still looking at their line up.

I never have been either. Never owned one and never saw much of a reason to, but alot of people do. Here is a listing i got from Newegg just now of motherboard manufacturers for Intel CPUs (any socket):

ASUS (69)
Intel (65)
ASRock (55)
GIGABYTE (48)
MSI (22)
ECS (EliteGroup) (17)
Biostar (13)
EVGA (10)
Foxconn (8)
JETWAY (5)
ZOTAC (4)

As you can see, Intel leaving the market will have a pretty noticeable impact, even if none of us ever cared in the first place :p That's a decent percentage of all available boards. It'll make things interesting anyway and help keep everyone in business.