PDA

View Full Version : Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

John P. Myers
10-01-12, 06:25 PM
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/14243/

"With over 16 million active preview participants, Windows 8 is the most tested, reviewed and ready operating system in Microsoft's history," a spokeswoman said.

Oh really?

Intel Chief Executive Paul Otellini slammed Windows 8 during a meeting with employees in Taiwan, according to a Bloomberg report, saying the operating system still has bugs and is being released before it's ready.

Windows 8 is sitting at a mere 0.33%, just a fifth of what Windows 7 had achieved [at the same period of time before the official retail launch]

Fire$torm
10-02-12, 01:51 AM
Redmond would have to pay me some really serious cash before I would install Win8 on a real computer. But even if that daydream became reality, Win8 would only be installed on my old Dell laptop and sit in the corner of the room running the screensaver...... and nothing else.

I read one reviewer calling Win8 a mess, but a beautiful mess..... Wonder what he was smoking?

nanoprobe
10-02-12, 06:11 PM
Redmond would have to pay me some really serious cash before I would install Win8 on a real computer. But even if that daydream became reality, Win8 would only be installed on my old Dell laptop and sit in the corner of the room running the screensaver...... and nothing else.

I read one reviewer calling Win8 a mess, but a beautiful mess..... Wonder what he was smoking?
Probably not smoking but drinking the koolaid. :cool:

Nuadormrac
10-03-12, 07:20 PM
The biggest bug of win8, is the one that's touted a feature, namely Metro. We're not talking phones Microsoft with a touch screen, we're talking a computer with a keyboard and mouse. No, I wouldn't want my computer to operate like a smart phone, as long as I interface with it through a mouse and keyboard.

Some have made the analogy of going from a command line to a GUI, but there's a difference, we had mice before that was proposed. If someone would have suggested Windows, without the invention of the mouse, and without it being available for my computer, I would not have wanted to use it. Sure, there are keyboard shortcuts, which can be great if they're used as shortcuts but if one had to use them in place of having no mouse at all, it would be too gosh darn encombersome. The UI needs to make sense with the input devices one has.

So I'll tell these bafoons where it's at. Until every computer which is pre-loaded with win8, has a touch screen monitor standard, I do NOT want Metro. On many phones it doesn't matter, because one can just touch the display and get it to do what one wants. But as to having to mouse around Metro, I have better things to do with my time... As long as the laptops and the like from Dell, from Compaq, from HP, and all others come without a touch screen, then I do NOT want Metro, OK? Want us to switch UI's, then give us input devices that make sense with the new UI, a mouse and keyboard makes no sense with Metro... Making the computer work like a phone, in concept does nothing for me, when the hardware one is interacting with it with, are still very different, physically...

GregK
10-03-12, 07:26 PM
win 7 is working fine i wont need to upgrade for yrs. actually xp is still a great o.s. if i could of bought xp at wally i would have.

Fire$torm
10-03-12, 07:55 PM
win 7 is working fine i wont need to upgrade for yrs. actually xp is still a great o.s. if i could of bought xp at wally i would have.

To quote some of my friends that run a small IT shop

XP?
XP is Windows shorthand for eXtra Problems

GregK
10-03-12, 08:05 PM
lol your talking to a guy that liked win me.;) that was on the box that i found seti.usa with but it had about 16 bits of ram or something like that so an upgrade came quick. like a week later! lol

John P. Myers
10-03-12, 08:09 PM
To quote some of my friends that run a small IT shop

lol especially since hardly anyone makes/updates/patches drivers for XP anymore. You can't even get an Nvidia driver for a GTX 690 on XP 32 or 64-bit. Windows also no longer supports/updates/patches XP. Using XP has got to be a very lonely experience :(

EDIT: oops :p Last i heard M$ was ending support for XP back in April. After just double checking, they seem to have extended it to April 2014. My bad :/
Specifically:

Support is ending for some versions of Windows

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014.

Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011.

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) ended on July 13, 2010.*

* Note: There's no SP3 for the 64-bit version of Windows XP. If you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP with SP2, you have the latest service pack and will continue to be eligible for support and receive updates until April 8, 2014.
Still no GTX 690 driver though.

artemis8
10-08-12, 06:03 PM
I have Windows 8 on one machine. It's running boinc, though not as smoothly as I'd like. It often shows as disconnected from boinctasks (that I generally prefer to monitor it from) which is annoying.

trigggl
10-09-12, 05:48 PM
I don't know if I'd want to touch something that may give me a "blue screen of death". :-ss

Fire$torm
10-09-12, 07:43 PM
I don't know if I'd want to touch something that may give me a "blue screen of death". :-ss

Errrr..... Linux Lover! :))

Mumps
10-09-12, 08:18 PM
Errrr..... Linux Lover! :))

Just so long as you don't get the PSOD (Purple is the Screen of Death in the VMWare world) or the RSOD (Red is the sign of severe hardware error in an HP Blade.) :)

John P. Myers
10-25-12, 05:13 PM
Waiting for a second Windows 7 Service Pack? Keep waiting – it doesn't sound like Microsoft will be releasing one.

Sources close to Microsoft's sustained engineering team, which builds and releases service packs, have told The Register there are no plans for a second Windows 7 SP – breaking precedent on the normal cycle of updating Windows.

Instead, Microsoft will keep updating Windows 7 using patches released each month until support for Windows 7 comes to an end. That date is currently slated for 24 months after the most current SP – that’s SP1, which was released in February 2011 – and would put end of life at January 2020.

The decision not to release a second service pack for Windows 7 comes just at the time when Microsoft would typically be preparing to release the pack.

People have been asking about SP2 since August.

SP2 for Windows XP rolled out nearly three years after the operating system’s release while the Windows Vista SP2 came just over two years later. With the Windows 7 OS having been released in October 2009, we are now at the trailing edge of the standard release window for SP2.

This means every update to Windows 7 since SP1 in February 2011 will need to be applied individually and – if you’ve been holding out – retrospectively.

Asked to comment, Microsoft said it didn’t have anything to say about Windows 7 SP2.

Service packs are a pain for Microsoft, because they divert engineers’ time and budget from building new versions of Windows. In this case, the anticipation for Windows 7’s SP2 comes around the same time as the launch of Windows 8, out later this week. Also, by ending SPs, Microsoft could be pushing customers towards the completely new Windows 8.

Win 7 lifecycle info: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows+7

Fire$torm
10-25-12, 11:10 PM
That's what they say but when retail & corp. customers start raising hell M$ will have no choice but to release Win7 SP2. Look at WinXP. It is still listed in the lifecycle list as supported. It was originally slated to end like 5 years ago or more. BTW, today marks the 11th anniversary of the first release of WinXP.

c303a
10-26-12, 09:55 AM
I still have the beta Win 8 rnning on 1 machine, but I have decided that the "new look" and the improvements that they made are not for me. I just don't like them so I will not be buying any upgrade packs even though the price is right. I will wait for SP's for Win 7 or will take a look at the next version of Windows.

Sorry Microsoft, but you didn't make a fan of me on Win 8.:p:p:p

Slicker
10-26-12, 11:23 AM
That's what they say but when retail & corp. customers start raising hell M$ will have no choice but to release Win7 SP2. Look at WinXP. It is still listed in the lifecycle list as supported. It was originally slated to end like 5 years ago or more. BTW, today marks the 11th anniversary of the first release of WinXP.

A company where I used to work and who considered themselves "cutting edge" finally allowed employees to upgrade from Windows 2000 to Win XP in 2010. Then again, they declared bankruptcy this past summer. :-)

trigggl
10-26-12, 08:33 PM
The Mayans may freeze over, but with how cheap it is, I may actually buy Win8. Whether I install it or not will remain to be seen.

John P. Myers
10-26-12, 09:09 PM
The Mayans may freeze over, but with how cheap it is, I may actually buy Win8. Whether I install it or not will remain to be seen.

I think the only thing that would sway me towards Win 8 would be if there's a significant increase in processing speed due to it supposedly being "lighter". Key word being "significant". Otherwise i'll just run Win7 for the next 11 years like the hardcore XP users :)

Fire$torm
10-27-12, 02:35 AM
I think the only thing that would sway me towards Win 8 would be if there's a significant increase in processing speed due to it supposedly being "lighter". Key word being "significant". Otherwise i'll just run Win7 for the next 11 years like the hardcore XP users :)

Ditto here. What I'm really waiting for is when the gaming coders fully embrace Linux. Even if they were to use the Steam distribution model. It would be cool to play Doom4 or UT 20xx on Linux. The real stumbling block is a Linux replacement for DirectX......

trigggl
10-27-12, 11:51 PM
Well, I changed my mind. I went to Microsoft's page to take the $39.99 deal to download, but I can't get past their Windows only download program. They obviously have no intention of winning Linux users back or they assume there's nobody out there without a Windows install. I'm not paying an extra $30 for the DVD. I'm not going to install Windows just so I can download another Windows.

I tried using Wine to download it, but that didn't work. Oh well. I saved $40.

Christopher Herr
10-28-12, 10:32 AM
And I will just try it, if I can get it as a MSDNAA licence and download for free, but only as a dual boot with Win7 or better a triple boot with Linux... :p
Well, have to take a look at the server if they finally added licence codes to the MSDNAA server I have got access to. ;)

John P. Myers
11-11-12, 10:06 PM
i'll stick with win7 tyvm

Fire$torm
11-21-12, 08:06 PM
And now M$ shoots itself in the foot again. And in a REALLY big way...!!!!

"Microsoft mistakenly gifts Windows 8 pirates with a free activation key" (Link (http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/21/3674706/windows-8-activation-key-pirates))

coronicus
11-21-12, 08:48 PM
oh crap I have a feeling that means windows media center wont be free anymore now i dont know what to do... im concerned because i use the m-card for my cable tuner from comcast having to use windows 7 media center to watch tv and record and i really dont wanna make the move to windows 8 but concern that eventualy media center won't be update on windows 7 earlier then normal for whatever new encoding they do on the broadcast forcing me to go to windows 8. Should i bite the bullet and pre purchase some copies while i can get em at 40$ with the free media center or not... ugh just more stuff to buy.

ATM windows 8 will not work corectly with my tuner but they are working on it.

Fire$torm
11-21-12, 09:06 PM
oh crap I have a feeling that means windows media center wont be free anymore now i dont know what to do... im concerned because i use the m-card for my cable tuner from comcast having to use windows 7 media center to watch tv and record and i really dont wanna make the move to windows 8 but concern that eventualy media center won't be update on windows 7 earlier then normal for whatever new encoding they do on the broadcast forcing me to go to windows 8. Should i bite the bullet and pre purchase some copies while i can get em at 40$ with the free media center or not... ugh just more stuff to buy.

ATM windows 8 will not work corectly with my tuner but they are working on it.

Hmmm, go with what I posted then at least you will have it. If you decide to keep it, just get a legitimate key. IIRC you can buy keys directly from M$. I also seem to recall some etailors selling Win7 keys at one point but that might be a glitch in my gray matter.

trigggl
11-22-12, 09:25 AM
I installed Win 8 in VirtualBox which is what I'm using right now. I exported it so I can go back to a fresh start (no pun intended) if I need to. It's a good way to install it without the usual Microsoft takes over the computer type of thing. I guess I'll pay the $40 when they force me to, or before the period for that price expires.

c303a
11-22-12, 10:31 AM
I still have one box running Win 8 RC but I am having bad thoughts about putting it on my other 2 boxes. I just don't know if I like it enough to spend the $40 on it. I hate the touch screen method if you don't have one and I hate having to log in everytime you shut down. Oh well, I have until January to decide.