PDA

View Full Version : XFX locked it - again!

Mad Matt
10-11-12, 11:04 PM
XFX 7970 DD GHz Edition, brand new top of the line 7970 comes out with locked voltage. Even worse, I learned they did the same on the Black Edition that was released prior to that, which seems even more strange to me. Unfortunately, none of numerous reviews ever mentioned this, but it's already well known in many forums. For most obviously this surprise happens after installing their esteemed enthusiast toy.

XFX seems to be happy with this. Their support guys are great as usual, but this goes beyond my understanding. Even for those wanting to undervolt while using stock speeds, options should be limited.

Dang. :-??

Mad Matt
10-13-12, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, what's your opinion on that? I have to make a decision now if I want to keep or return the card. :>

Apart from the missing voltage control, the GHz DD 7970 seems a decent card. Can run Dirt@1200 (+20% power limit) and POEM@1250(0% power limit). On Dirt it won't get any higher, at least if having desktop duties. On POEM there could be some room.

GPU-Z tells me it's using 1.176 to 1.180 Vcore (VDDC) when running at 1250. Decent enough to keep it? :-??

John P. Myers
10-13-12, 01:37 PM
For me it would be, but here we also get the lifetime warranty. I understand they don't offer that there?

Also, i would consider a 20-25% overclock to be pretty awesome :) But you're right that you could get more if you could change the voltage.

It's possible the voltage is locked in order to make a card they can safely offer a lifetime warranty on, even though it wasn't offered in your country. The card *should* still last a lifetime since it was made the same as the ones in the US. Of course you wouldn't keep it that long anyway so it's a little pointless, but it does help the resale value.

Increasing the voltage can erode the silicon in the GPU (or any other over-volted chip) through electromigration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration). This would be the reason for the voltage cap to extend the life of the GPU. Nvidia also has a voltage cap on their 600 series (not just 1 brand, but all of Nvidia), but they set the voltage low initially to give people the impression they're actually changing it :p Some people have found a way around it though i don't think there is a way around the 7970 issue. It seems to be a hardware-based lock.

The question is, can you get the MSI GPU, and increase the voltage above the XFX's cap without electromigration (at least not bad enough to kill the card within 5 years)? I say probably so. 1.21Vcore should be fine.

Mad Matt
10-13-12, 01:56 PM
For me it would be, but here we also get the lifetime warranty. I understand they don't offer that there?

Also, i would consider a 20-25% overclock to be pretty awesome :) But you're right that you could get more if you could change the voltage.

Cheers, JPM. :-h As far as I know all across Europe there is no lifetime warranty and never has been. Not that they would drop prices here because of that. ;)

Regarding the voltage, it's not only about getting higher. From my experience I can crunch most projects on stock by 1-2 notches lower to factory voltage and keep voltages low while increasing. Seems XFX does that rock solid, but I think desktop use is their measure. So I should be able to snatch off a few watts and °C temps doing this manually. :(

Mad Matt
10-13-12, 09:07 PM
Was about to tip my hat as 1.3 GHz seemed possible on POEM. 1.25 GHz on 0% power level, fans on minimum 25% or so... but no matter if 0% or 20% power, beyond 1250 the blue screen seems inevitable. No clue what to do, I will make a phone call on Monday. It's a good shop, but of course they will advice me to keep it. No clue here. :-??

John P. Myers
10-13-12, 11:20 PM
Was about to tip my hat as 1.3 GHz seemed possible on POEM. 1.25 GHz on 0% power level, fans on minimum 25% or so... but no matter if 0% or 20% power, beyond 1250 the blue screen seems inevitable. No clue what to do, I will make a phone call on Monday. It's a good shop, but of course they will advice me to keep it. No clue here. :-??

I think you should just return it/swap it. You won't be truly happy until you do :)

Mad Matt
10-13-12, 11:35 PM
I think you should just return it/swap it. You won't be truly happy until you do :)

Stop reading my mind, do you? =))

:)

PS: Just found some intriguing details about the logics of power limit...I think the story isn't over yet. ;)