PDA

View Full Version : HTPC Audio: External DAC vs Receiver?

Mad Matt
10-13-12, 03:42 PM
Surprised to see quite a few guys in here having built their own HTPCs. So maybe you can help me on that: For a system focused mainly on audio and secondary on video, do you rate external DACs over the ones you get in new media receivers?

My old receiver does not have HDMI or optical in, I think I just could get SPDIF working there. Currently I am going through the TV via HDMI which isn't really the best, I guess.

Fire$torm
10-13-12, 07:57 PM
I would say that depends on your long term goals. For a no compromise audio/video chain then separate components including an external DAC is the only way to go. But that philosophy comes at a price.

For the sake of convenience, an AV receiver is the best way to go.

On your receiver, can you separate the preamp output from the amp inputs?

Do you plan on having a 5.1 or 7.1 setup or are you mainly interested in Stereo? And with or without sub(s).

Duke of Buckingham
10-13-12, 08:04 PM
This should be for me Matt, but I really didn't understood the problem. I will try the same.

You are probably using the microphone or LF/RF output 3.5mm port on the PC. this is stereo only. the same is true with two RCA cables (red/white) this is stereo only.

You will need to use HDMI, SPDIF or component cables for surround sound.

What is most important is what type of inputs your receiver will accept.

If your receiver has a SPDIF input then you would want to use this.

If your receiver has HDMI then you could also use this and video pass through to your monitor. your video card would need to support sound out via HDMI.

If your receiver has component cable inputs you might be able to use your speaker ports via adapter cables. i am not sure how component cables carry audio but the PC connections carry LF/RF, C and LR/RR on three cables.

This are the options Matt.

John P. Myers
10-13-12, 08:38 PM
Here's an article i wrote back in Jan. during CES about a prototype representing the future of TV audio and video. It's fun to dream sometimes :)

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12257/

Mad Matt
10-13-12, 08:44 PM
I would say that depends on your long term goals. For a no compromise audio/video chain then separate components including an external DAC is the only way to go. But that philosophy comes at a price.

For the sake of convenience, an AV receiver is the best way to go.

On your receiver, can you separate the preamp output from the amp inputs?

Do you plan on having a 5.1 or 7.1 setup or are you mainly interested in Stereo? And with or without sub(s).

It's very old Onkyo TX-SV 9041 and it was replacing even older Mitsubishi dual-mono preamp and an Onkyo M-505. Got all of that used, but since it blew my old amps out of the water, I was happy using a receiver from there on. Unfortunately it does not even have SP/DIF and no pre-amp output.

Having two big IQ audio speakers I really love, additionally one small center and two surround speakers (one channel), so still Dolby Prologic here. No sub-woofer channels, but I'm happy with that for video as the IQ deliver more than enough good bass.

So setup is HTPC ---->HDMI----->TV----->tiny 3.5''plug ---->receiver.

Not sure if I should look for a better receiver or a DAC first. :-??

PS:

Here's an article i wrote back in Jan. during CES about a prototype representing the future of TV audio and video. http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12257/

If you are writing there frequently, I may actually have come across your articles more than once. :)

Fire$torm
10-14-12, 03:50 AM
Personally I see an external DAC unit as part of the framework for a system using separate components. An AV receiver is a convenience appliance. So in my view DACs and receivers are mutually exclusive. This is mainly because a receiver is a compromise of separates shoehorned into a single box. Don't get me wrong, receivers made by quality companies are fine units but the design of every unit is based on a slew of sacrifices from flexibility, to features, to quality and to some extent sound. Of course the biggest plus in favor of receivers is price.

There are literally dozens of pros and cons for either type of system but I won't bore with a 200 page dissertation. But in a nutshell, if you do not have the time, energy and patience (plus some extra cash) to audition separate components, then go with a good AV receiver. One tip that may help when hunting for bargains on the unit you want. Wait for its next model year replacement to start hitting stores. Many retailers will almost dump last years models to clear shelves for new stuff. And avoid the temptation to buy store demos. Most demo units have been severely abused by customers who like to "crank it to the max" since they don't own it. Sad, sad, sad........

Duke of Buckingham
10-14-12, 06:25 AM
Personally I see an external DAC unit as part of the framework for a system using separate components. An AV receiver is a convenience appliance. So in my view DACs and receivers are mutually exclusive. This is mainly because a receiver is a compromise of separates shoehorned into a single box. Don't get me wrong, receivers made by quality companies are fine units but the design of every unit is based on a slew of sacrifices from flexibility, to features, to quality and to some extent sound. Of course the biggest plus in favor of receivers is price.

There are literally dozens of pros and cons for either type of system but I won't bore with a 200 page dissertation. But in a nutshell, if you do not have the time, energy and patience (plus some extra cash) to audition separate components, then go with a good AV receiver. One tip that may help when hunting for bargains on the unit you want. Wait for its next model year replacement to start hitting stores. Many retailers will almost dump last years models to clear shelves for new stuff. And avoid the temptation to buy store demos. Most demo units have been severely abused by customers who like to "crank it to the max" since they don't own it. Sad, sad, sad........

Very true many things about Audio seems so true and they are. Even the opposite things can be true. Audio like music is a question of taste and for whom it is made.

The analog and the digital coexist for questions of taste. Audio is just like eating for some an hamburger can compete with a lobster and for others it is absurd. I don't like external DACs and think they compromise quality as they cost money, money that for me is spend useless.

But all questions about sound are a matter of opinion. What would be of Beethoven if everyone like only Bach or of Bach if everyone liked Mozart.

Ear is the most subjective of our senses. Nothing can be compared to it when things combine to our pleasure. The view is much more direct and even in there we have so many ways of feeling because we are all different.

My five cents about this.

Mad Matt
10-14-12, 12:40 PM
Personally I see an external DAC unit as part of the framework for a system using separate components. An AV receiver is a convenience appliance.

There are literally dozens of pros and cons for either type of system but I won't bore with a 200 page dissertation. But in a nutshell, if you do not have the time, energy and patience (plus some extra cash) to audition separate components, then go with a good AV receiver.

When I was young, the word 'receiver' at best was something to insult somebody. ;) Seriously, I was stunned when it outgunned my old, but still highly esteemed amps. But well...

I would not mind you writing a dissertation as you know your stuff. :cool: Cheers for the input, I think you just gave me a new idea. As a compromise I am pondering about the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. It could come handy for dual use as sooner or later I will need again a good monitoring system.

Ear is the most subjective of our senses. Nothing can be compared to it when things combine to our pleasure. The view is much more direct and even in there we have so many ways of feeling because we are all different.

Yes, and I think it's no coincidence many of the audio geeks of the pre-PC-era now turned into computing geeks. There was nothing more interesting than a five hour discussion on the best pre-amp. :D

Fire$torm
10-18-12, 11:27 AM
Thought I should post this as it is relevant.

Newegg has the Polk Audio PSW10 Black 10-inch Powered Subwoofer on sale again for $89.99 w/Promo Code: EMCJNJB52 (Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL101812&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL101812-_-EMC-101812-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82290034-L014C))

This puppy is a really decent sub especially at that price point. I can attest to its abilities as my Uncle has one. Long story short, over 2 years ago he blew out the sub in his Sony home theater system and asked me to find something to replace it. I choose the PSW10. This sub can take a real beating from my Uncle's very loud listening levels. And it sounds much better then I expected considering that I had to use the PSW10's speaker level inputs as the Sony unit does not have sub-preouts (Another reason I much prefer separate components). At moderate levels the PSW10 maintains fine control while serving up a good amount of punch. Most impressive in fact for its price point. At "Uncle" levels, distortion is present but not offensively so.

I cannot however comment on its musicality. Critical listening is not possible with my Uncle's hardware and room configuration. But what I have heard from his setup suggests very good potential.

F$