PDA

View Full Version : Linux Users Beware

John P. Myers
10-15-12, 03:23 AM
If you find yourself with a system that claims to be "Designed for Windows 8", you may not be able to boot Linux without taking some extra steps first.

http://phys.org/news/2012-10-linux-key-windows-boot-lockout.html

Fire$torm
10-15-12, 12:39 PM
This could get.... interesting?

Mumps
10-15-12, 09:32 PM
Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but thought UEFI was basically a newer flavor of BIOS POST process. Which still has the ability for a user to access and change settings like this. So, what's the big deal? Hit the "Escape" sequence to get into the UEFI configuration world (AKA your POST/System BIOS setup screen) and simply disable the "Secure Boot" option. Big deal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

Secure boot
See also: Windows 8#Secure boot and Hardware restrictions#Windows 8

In 2011, Microsoft was accused by critics and open source advocates (including the Free Software Foundation) for trying to use the secure boot functionality of UEFI to hinder or outright prevent the installation of alternative operating systems such as Linux, by requiring that new computers certified to run its Windows 8 operating system ship with secure boot enabled using a Microsoft private key. Following the criticism, Microsoft denied that the secure boot requirement was intended to serve as a form of lock-in, and clarified its requirements by stating that systems certified for Windows 8 must allow secure boot to enter custom mode or be disabled, but not on systems using the ARM architecture.

John P. Myers
10-15-12, 10:07 PM
The BIOS firmware code that becomes active as soon as a PC powers on has also been replaced in Windows 8 by the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).

It's a big deal because we take making changes to BIOS for granted. 99% of the planet has no clue how to do this. Also pre-built computers will have Secure Boot enabled by the manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc), and as you know, manufacturers allow strictly limited changes to be made in the BIOS, possible locking the ability to disable it. All M$ had to do was allow for it to be disabled. Not their fault if a computer maker masks that. M$ did their job.

On top of that, i don't need Windows in my BIOS when i'm not running Windows. No one does.

Fire$torm
10-15-12, 10:37 PM
I can guarantee you that companies like Dell will mask the BIOS as they already do it. I am sure M$ will make it "Worth their While" to do so. For the near future this "issue" will only apply to pre-built systems. Hopefully the DIY market will not follow suit but may depend on how effective the grass root movement is at putting pressure on the computer industry and world governments.

John P. Myers
10-15-12, 10:44 PM
I can guarantee you that companies like Dell will mask the BIOS as they already do it. I am sure M$ will make it "Worth their While" to do so. For the near future this "issue" will only apply to pre-built systems. Hopefully the DIY market will not follow suit but may depend on how effective the grass root movement is at putting pressure on the computer industry and world governments.

++1

Also with Linux being open source, you can't just put the private key in it so it will boot. M$ was counting on this.

trigggl
10-16-12, 12:09 AM

I bought my Inspiron 530 with Linux pre-installed. I assume Dell will still sell computers with Linux pre-installed.

Fire$torm
10-16-12, 02:25 AM
I bought my Inspiron 530 with Linux pre-installed. I assume Dell will still sell computers with Linux pre-installed.

Nope, not for "average Joe" consumer. I checked their product pages on the Inspiron 660, XPS 8500 and the Alienware Aurora 6. There is nothing in the options for selecting a non-Windows OS. Also searched their FAQ and help using Linux and Alternative OS keywords. The only hits were for Enterprise hardware.

Rattledagger
10-16-12, 02:55 AM
It's a big deal because we take making changes to BIOS for granted. 99% of the planet has no clue how to do this.
Uhm, if someone doesn't manage to disable an option in the BIOS, is these users likely to install Linux...

John P. Myers
10-16-12, 03:03 AM
Uhm, if someone doesn't manage to disable an option in the BIOS, is these users likely to install Linux...

Actually, yes. Not every flavor of Linux requires users to know how to build/program a computer from scratch :)

trigggl
10-16-12, 12:59 PM
Nope, not for "average Joe" consumer. I checked their product pages on the Inspiron 660, XPS 8500 and the Alienware Aurora 6. There is nothing in the options for selecting a non-Windows OS. Also searched their FAQ and help using Linux and Alternative OS keywords. The only hits were for Enterprise hardware.

Well, I wasn't going to buy from them again anyways. >:P

c303a
10-16-12, 01:38 PM
As easy as it is to build a desktop, I would just highly encourage everyone to open your desktop up and take a look to see what is inside if you have never done it. It's not a big secret. A board, a hard drive, a video card, some memory and a case with a power supply. The hardest part will be putting the wires from the case to the motherboard. Just follow the instructions in the motherboard manual. Just about anyone with a screwdriver can do it as I am sure most of us in this community know. Go to your favorite parts store, talk to them and put their parts list on the forum. I am sure we will be able to help with the pricing and recommend the proper parts for you to buy.

You can also upgrade and as always we are all here to help. Cut out the middleman, build your own and get exactly what you want.

Fire$torm
10-16-12, 02:53 PM
Well, I wasn't going to buy from them again anyways. >:P

:))

As easy as it is to build a desktop, I would just highly encourage everyone to open your desktop up and take a look to see what is inside if you have never done it. It's not a big secret. A board, a hard drive, a video card, some memory and a case with a power supply. The hardest part will be putting the wires from the case to the motherboard. Just follow the instructions in the motherboard manual. Just about anyone with a screwdriver can do it as I am sure most of us in this community know. Go to your favorite parts store, talk to them and put their parts list on the forum. I am sure we will be able to help with the pricing and recommend the proper parts for you to buy.

You can also upgrade and as always we are all here to help. Cut out the middleman, build your own and get exactly what you want.

++1 Building your own system is well worth the effort. Never have to fight Dell's or Hp's hidden partitions with their spyware (yes Dell is notorious for this), junkware and the like. Nor will you end up with sub-par hradware like crappy RAM, faulty hard drives and anemic PSUs.

But for those that truly abhor a DIY system then I highly recommend buying a computer form Puget Systems (Link (http://www.pugetsystems.com/)). Puget uses only retail components to build their systems. No restricted OEM doggie doo doo used, no spyware, malware or rootkits will be found lurking in their stuff.

John P. Myers
10-16-12, 03:05 PM
:))

++1 Building your own system is well worth the effort. Never have to fight Dell's or Hp's hidden partitions with their spyware (yes Dell is notorious for this), junkware and the like. Nor will you end up with sub-par hradware like crappy RAM, faulty hard drives and anemic PSUs.

But for those that truly abhor a DIY system then I highly recommend buying a computer form Puget Systems (Link (http://www.pugetsystems.com/)). Puget uses only retail components to build their systems. No restricted OEM doggie doo doo used, no spyware, malware or rootkits will be found lurking in their stuff.

++++1

Also Maingear.com (http://www.maingear.com/).

These are the promises we make to you.

1. You will never speak to anyone that works on commission. And those who you do speak to about a purchase will have built systems for us, or will be current technicians, engineers, and support personnel. You'll never get better advice than from these employees.

2. You will never be oversold. If we think you may be spending more money than you should for your needs, we'll advise you of ways to save money. Conversely, if we think you may not have configured a PC for the performance you're looking for, we'll let you know about that, too. But we'll never pressure you.

3. For the first 30 days of ownership, we will pay 2-way shipping of your system should a problem arise.

4. You will never have to pay for phone support or labor for the lifetime of the system. There are actually companies that make you pay for this after 90 days.

5. At our discretion, we'll engage a 3rd party service to provide on-site service at no additional cost.

6. We'll always replace any failed components in your PC with something that is at least equal in performance and features if we are no longer able to acquire the original part.

7. At your request, we will employ our virtual on-site, hardware-based remote diagnostic technology to fix any quirky software issues you may have. And we'll record it if you wish to reference it later, or to ensure your privacy concerns. This perfect blend of pre- and post- sales support and service make up MAINGEAR™ SERVICE. It's the foundation of our success and the key to our future growth. We feel it's important to make this information front and center.

Large, multi-national computer manufacturers have commoditized the PC market by subsidizing their products with the installation of intrusive, third party software. They are paid to do this. This software bogs down your system and prevents it from running at its highest potential. It also has the tendency to make your system unstable or may conflict with software you wish to install. All MAINGEAR systems eschews these tactics as we believe that YOU are the customer, not a third party software provider. We build purebred PCs designed for performance and reliability, not billboards and advertisments.

Good luck getting Dell or HP to adhere to even 1 of those promises.