PDA

View Full Version : 3930K Overheating

Bikermatt
10-18-12, 05:33 PM
Some of you saw in the POEM blitz thread that my new 3930k system was overheating. It turns out that the cooler master heatsink was defective. The CPU was running at 90+ C for the first week before I discovered the problem. With the new Noctua heatsink the system is now running 60c at 3.6GHz and 100% load.

So any of you think I could of damaged the CPU? There is still time to RMA it.

Fire$torm
10-18-12, 06:25 PM
Some of you saw in the POEM blitz thread that my new 3930k system was overheating. It turns out that the cooler master heatsink was defective. The CPU was running at 90+ C for the first week before I discovered the problem. With the new Noctua heatsink the system is now running 60c at 3.6GHz and 100% load.

I've never owned an Ivy Bridge but I've had my i7 920 near that point for a spell and it still works fine. As to RMA, Most likely Intel will not authorize one. "The CPU works with no signs of problems, then no need for repair or replacement" so they will say.

Duke of Buckingham
10-18-12, 06:39 PM
I am overheating also.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5OurIlYFvKU/TcFncMI1WVI/AAAAAAAAAKo/TDEk5eY36Zs/s1600/overheated+dog.jpg

Overheated Duke

Good luck to solve your problem Bikermatt.

I fried one computer like that, didn't pay enough attention and payed an high price but I don't know what to tell you, 60º don't seem much to me tough.

Mad Matt
10-18-12, 08:09 PM
The CPU was running at 90+ C for the first week before I discovered the problem. With the new Noctua heatsink the system is now running 60c at 3.6GHz and 100% load.

With the i7s, I am already getting problems to burn in liquid metal pads, since this should be done around 80°C. I think up into the early 90ies these CPUs don't bother and beyond that they will shut down clocks to protect themselves. A week is a pretty long time, so no clue what this does, but you should have long enough of warranty to find out. I'd guess the CPU still is fine.

Btw, did you note any effects of downclocking? As far as I know, a C2Q should have downclocked frequently at these temps, but my i7s did not seem to bother much, just noted this once.

John P. Myers
10-18-12, 08:39 PM
i7's generally downclock at 100C. C2Q's would downclock anywhere from 80C to 95C, depending on model and stepping.

zombie67
10-18-12, 10:26 PM
I've never had a problem with damage on any i7. They generally protect themselves pretty darned good.

Bikermatt
10-18-12, 10:33 PM
i7's generally downclock at 100C. C2Q's would downclock anywhere from 80C to 95C, depending on model and stepping.

I did notice it downclock one or two hundred megahertz on occasion when I first started troubleshooting. The problem is that when I first started troubleshooting I was using the crappy asus monitor software. It gives one temperature reading for the CPU. It said my CPU was at 77c at around 90% load. That seemed high so I remounted the cooler master heatsink with the noctua thermal paste. The temp went down to 70c so I figured problem solved.

I obviously didn't watch it long enough because the next day I checked it and the temp was 78c. This is when I installed a better temp monitor program and saw that all cores were at 90c plus. I ran it at around 30% load after that and that kept temps in the high 60s until I got the new cooler.

I bought the cpu from newegg so I could potentially have it replaced because it has been less than 30 days. I think I will just keep it though. It might only work for 20 years instead of 25 now but either way it really doesn't matter.