PDA

View Full Version : gtx 690 and 7970 paring, need some thoughts

EmSti
10-19-12, 10:13 PM
I am considering getting a evga gxt 690 signature for $870 (not complete sold yet). I am considering putting it in fire dragon with one 7970 and rotating one 7970 to another machine. Main plan is to continue running Poem and use the gtx 690 for 3-d gaming when time allows (already have monitor for it from my gtx 570s).

Thoughts on likely hood of the gtx 690 and 7970 living well together in my setup and the ability to utilize them enough for high credit output with i7-2700k. Does install order and which card type is in the primary slot still matter?

Fire Dragon:
i7 -2700k
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA
Antec High Current pro 1200
Windows 7

Fire$torm
10-20-12, 02:47 AM
First, I'm not a big fan of PSUs with multiple 12V rails but in the case of your Antec, the specs look good. So I'd say your fine there.

Second, you should not have any issues with those two cards running in the same box. I currently have two boxes set up that way. I really prefer this arrangement and have been using it for almost two years.

Edit: Seems the number 2 is showing up a lot lately.. Room 222, 2x4, takes 2 to tango..... :P

EmSti
10-21-12, 04:37 PM
First, I'm not a big fan of PSUs with multiple 12V rails but in the case of your Antec, the specs look good. So I'd say your fine there.

Second, you should not have any issues with those two cards running in the same box. I currently have two boxes set up that way. I really prefer this arrangement and have been using it for almost two years.

Edit: Seems the number 2 is showing up a lot lately.. Room 222, 2x4, takes 2 to tango..... :P

Thanks for the feedback Fire$torm. This is the first time I will be mixing brands, any advice to help it go smooth?
I should get it before SIMAP bunkering starts, so I should get a day or 2 to play with the setup. Might let it run on Poem with a thread or 2.

Fire$torm
10-21-12, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback Fire$torm. This is the first time I will be mixing brands, any advice to help it go smooth?
I should get it before SIMAP bunkering starts, so I should get a day or 2 to play with the setup. Might let it run on Poem with a thread or 2.

In the past, the only gotcha was that the ATI Had to be the first card in the GPU chain for BOINC to use it. This may not be true any longer but if you do not have a preference you should still use that arrangement.

Some tips for setup.
*Uninstall all video drivers before changing anything in your system.
*Uninstall procedure: Windows Uninstaller ---> reboot into safe mode ---> run Driver Sweeper (Link (http://download.techworld.com/816/driver-sweeper-26/)) ---> Run CCleaner (Link (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)) ---> System shutdown
*With all GPUs removed

Install only ATI card and boot into safe mode to ease Windows auto-config with default driver installation ---> System reboot
Inatall ATI CCC drivers ---> System reboot ---> System Shutdown
Install nVidia card and boot into safe mode to ease Windows auto-config with default driver installation ---> System reboot
Install nVidia drivers

Now you are ready to rock! Crunch On.

EmSti
10-24-12, 11:32 AM
Gtx 690 installed with no issues for 7970 or gtx 690, if you ignore the Boinc issues. 3-D and everything seems to work well. Thanks for you support.

I will work out o.c. on the card after I run it a few days.