PDA

View Full Version : GPU O.C. Control

EmSti
10-23-12, 11:58 PM
I have been using MSI afterburner for a long while. But with this new evga kepler card I am thinking of using percision x which monitors the way this things works better (I think). I also have 7970 in with the gtx 690. My question, what should I use to overclock and monitor both the AMD and the Nvidia? Can I get afterburner to do one and precision x the other? Is afterburner safe to use with the keplers? Is there just a better approach it? Is it better to fire up precsion x for gaming and something else for crunching?

Haven't installed precision x yet.
Tought I would test community knowledge before banging my head this time.

Fire$torm
10-24-12, 01:16 AM
As far as I know you cannot use both utilities at the same time. This is because you cannot disable nVidia control in AB. And I doubt you can have both installed on the same system because their drivers may conflict. But, you can always try it to see what happens....

Of course you could just let CCC control the ATI/AMD and use Precision X on the nVidia. With this setup you may want to use SpeedFan (Link (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)) of ATI fan control as CCC still sucks at it.

John P. Myers
10-24-12, 01:42 AM
I had both Precision X and Afterburner installed on my comp at the same time. I found Afterburner very difficult to use because of the lack of displayed information, which EVGA's Precision X excels at. But i downloaded Afterburner because i had issues overclocking my 660 with Precision X, though i suspect it works flawlessly with any 600 series GPU other than the 660 or either of the Ti's. Needs a version update as those GPUs are still fresh on the market.

On top of those 2 OC utilities, i also had Nvidia's System Tools, which is now a legacy utility and is not meant to be used with any 600 series GPU, which i didn't. I used it for the GT 430, though Precision X works for that too.

Long story short, about 20 mins after installing Afterburner and using it for nothing more than to see if it would OC the 660 any better (which it didn't), i began getting Nvidia driver crashes every hour or so, which caused the GT 430 to no longer function or even be recognized by Windows - not even on a forced hardware search. Finally got it working again today though after uninstalling Nvidia drivers, Afterburner, System Tools and Precision X, then starting over. Now all i have is Precision X, the 430 is crunching Dirt, the 660 is back on Poem, and all is well - except still can't OC the 660 (other than locking the GPU to the boost clock, giving a steady 1123MHz) :)