PDA

View Full Version : Virus Troubles from BOINC?

Fogle
10-26-12, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, I caught a virus which I was able to remove with Malwarebytes. Afterward my laptop Thinkpad SL510 still was running slow until I removed BOINC. I use it all day afterward, as it my work laptop. Everything was fine, then I reloaded Boinc manager and it was back. Here the virus that Malware found: Trojan.Ransom.ANC
Any ideas? :confused: :mad:

zombie67
10-26-12, 11:06 PM
I believe the BOINC code is open source. So if there was a virus in it, it would be seen. I am thinking coincidence.

somanyroads
10-26-12, 11:50 PM
By coincidence, I ran Malwarebytes today on two desktops after first running RKill from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/ . Nothing was found by Malwarebytes. RKill didn't find anything either.

Edit: 7.0.28 on one desktop, 7.0.36 on the other.

John P. Myers
10-26-12, 11:54 PM
Lenovo? That's not a trojan, but actually a false-positive caused by a bug. The file came back and was re-detected probably because the system noticed it was missing and replaced it. Of course the file that ends up being deleted isn't important, just a wake-on-lan event catcher. Update Malwarebytes and re-scan. They say they've fixed the problem

Fogle
10-27-12, 09:52 AM
Well after using this laptop for over a year now when I run BOINC is freezes up or runs extremely slow. If I halt BOINC or remove the program I'm back to 100%.

Fogle
10-28-12, 07:03 AM
JP it was after I updated the Maleware scanner that I got a positive for the Trojan. However you gave me an idea to run a defrag after the latest scan to hopefully rewrite stuff, After the defrag I then could run BOINC without any problem. Keep in mind I know virtually nothing about computers. Sonce then I down loaded about 100 SIMAP wu's and am now happly crunching away wile useing my laptop to do other actual work. Rock On!! >:/