PDA

View Full Version : PSU DEAD

Mike029
11-21-12, 02:04 PM
I guess when it rains it pours. b-( My OCZ1250 PSU has started shutting down on it's own. Will not turn back on till I power down the unit. I hear clicking when I try to turn it on. If I manage to get it running it shuts down after a few mins. to a few hours. This is going to knock my main cruncher down for a few weeks. Waiting to hear about an rma. I wonder if all the power outages I've gone through in the last few weeks caused this? :-?

Sorry guys, just don't have the cabbage to purchase a replacement. I'm going to be gimped till this get's returned. :(

John P. Myers
11-21-12, 02:12 PM
That sucks :( What kind of clicking is it? Like the cooling fan hitting a wire or is it something electrical? :(

Mike029
11-21-12, 02:15 PM
That sucks :( What kind of clicking is it? Like the cooling fan hitting a wire or is it something electrical? :(

Like a circuit breaker.

kmanley57
11-21-12, 03:07 PM
You might be over-voltaging, in which case you DO NOT want to keep powering it on, unless you like possibly replacing M.B.s.

I lost three different supplies last year and two mother boards(so far), so I spent the bucks on a supply tester to keep on hand to save myself lots more money. :(

I should take pictures of the blown capacitors on the last mother board I have yet to replace.

Duke of Buckingham
11-21-12, 03:51 PM
If it is the 1250W model. Use a hairdryer on it for 10-15 minutes. They are very sensible on humidity. That click is the system protection on short circuit, I think.

If don't make any good can't make any bad. It is a nice PSU Mike try to save it, patience sometime is all that it takes. Good luck.

John P. Myers
11-21-12, 04:12 PM
If it is the 1250W model. Use a hairdryer on it for 10-15 minutes. They are very sensible on humidity. That click is the system protection on short circuit, I think.

If don't make any good can't make any bad. It is a nice PSU Mike try to save it, patience sometime is all that it takes. Good luck.

Good call Duke :) With the recent weather Mike has had, humidity could very well be the cause. Hopefully the hairdryer trick works.

kmanley57
11-21-12, 08:41 PM
If it can possibly operate for several hours before shutting down, will the hair dryer really help. I would think that running that long would dry out the humidity buildup if any in it. :confused:

Duke of Buckingham
11-21-12, 09:42 PM
The problem is the click maybe it is passing by some area as part of the protection system. Operate the PSU with a short circuit doesn't seem a good idea to me.

Well the true is mine was from another person and was not functioning.

What I did? Opened clean it carefully used the hairdrier and is functioning for some months now.

PSUs in general (and more with high power) and with some amount of humidity tend to create short circuits (consuming more) and giving less power. Other problem is the inside wires with time start giving passage and shortening more and more power increasing the electric bill till they stop.

Open look clean (dirty can be a cause of shorts also) separate the wires the best you can and try again.

Nothing that we can not do in 2 or 3 hours and this PSU may cost about US$200, I imagine. I can lose 2 hours. I can't lose US$200.

trigggl
11-22-12, 08:48 AM
What I did? Opened clean it carefully used the hairdrier and is functioning for some months now.

PSUs in general (and more with high power) and with some amount of humidity tend to create short circuits (consuming more) and giving less power. Other problem is the inside wires with time start giving passage and shortening more and more power increasing the electric bill till they stop.

Open look clean (dirty can be a cause of shorts also) separate the wires the best you can and try again.

Just be extremely careful when opening a PSU, and definitely don't go poking around in there with something that conducts. Sometimes caps hold their charge and PSUs have very large caps. You don't want to get hit with that kind of shock if you accidentally make yourself a path to ground.

Mike029
11-22-12, 09:47 AM
I've only had it for 18 months. The good thing is it's under warranty. I don't want to open it and fiddle with it for fear they won't honor their warranty. :( These companies can be fickle. I did not think about damaging the mb though. I removed the 5990 and the 5879 I had in it and rebooted. Running with the 560 ti on Poem only. Running 12 hours without a shut down. I'll give the hairdryer thing a shot till the RMA is approved. The power flickered or went out totally over a dozen times since Sandy. Wondering if that had something to do with it.

Duke of Buckingham
11-22-12, 10:23 AM
@ Mike If is in the warranty the problem is solved. That is very good

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Happy-Face-Two-Sided-Decoration-N21554_XL.jpg

@ trigggl there is a lot of energy in a PSU but is mainly amperes the voltage is not so high. Normally is enough to give 2 hours to PSU unplugged, in spite the rule is 24 hours of waiting to give time for the capacitors to go to zero. Nothing that a kitchen rubber glove can't solve but not wet or you will get a very big http://www.senado.gov.br/portaldoservidor/jornal/Jornal70/Imagens/choque.jpg

Mike029
11-30-12, 12:44 PM
When it pours it pours some more. My gaming box has a dead psu. This one is old and not under warranty. I hope to get something this weekend to get it back up and running. I also plan to install the H80 from EmSti. I'll let you know how that goes. I sent out the first psu that is under warranty. I hope they get that back real soon. At this point no news would be good news.

pinhodecarlos
11-30-12, 02:02 PM
RIP

Mike029
12-11-12, 03:28 PM
One box up and running. OCZ sent me a brand new, unopened, PSU as a replacement. :-bd Props to OCZ. That is how you take care of a customer when an item fails. Gaming box is also back up. My Poem numbers should be closer to a Mil. a day again.

Fire$torm
12-11-12, 03:45 PM
One box up and running. OCZ sent me a brand new, unopened, PSU as a replacement. :-bd Props to OCZ. That is how you take care of a customer when an item fails. Gaming box is also back up. My Poem numbers should be closer to a Mil. a day again.

Yeeeehaaaa!! Props to OCZ!

Duke of Buckingham
12-11-12, 06:09 PM
Nice, I am happy...:D