PDA

View Full Version : Failed driver install

nanoprobe
12-06-12, 06:36 PM
Installed new video card today but for some stupid reason the video driver won't install on the machine I want to run it on. Put the card in my test machine and it runs fine. I've tried everything I know to get the driver to install but it refuses. Put the old card back in. Same issue. Re-image didn't help. Downloaded new driver. No help.
Anyone have any suggestions? Win7 64 bit

Fire$torm
12-06-12, 07:32 PM
I've never seen any CCC installer do that. Possible causes (in any combination), corrupt CCC installer, corrupt Windows system file(s), Virus, Malware or bad sector(s) on HDD.

Things to try..
Boot into Safe Mode and run virus & Malware scanners. Run CCleaner (Link (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)) to clean up registry and Driver Sweeper (link (http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html)) to remove all ATI/AMD driver files. After all that click Windows Orb and in the text search box enter cmd. Now click the cmd.exe program (command prompt) that show up at the up. Now, in the command window that pops up type chkdsk C: /f /r then press enter key. Repeat for any other drives/partitions in that system by replacing C: with the appropriate drive letter. After all drives have been tested reboot the system Two Times.

On a different system download an older version of CCC, like 12.6. Copy the installer to a thumb drive to allow transfer to problem system and install driver.

Hope something here helps.

Duke of Buckingham
12-06-12, 09:45 PM
For some stupid reason Win7 needs the updates from windows before starting using any cards or apps maybe is that, Just run Windows update.

nanoprobe
12-07-12, 05:37 AM
I've never seen any CCC installer do that. Possible causes (in any combination), corrupt CCC installer, corrupt Windows system file(s), Virus, Malware or bad sector(s) on HDD.

Things to try..
Boot into Safe Mode and run virus & Malware scanners. Run CCleaner (Link (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)) to clean up registry and Driver Sweeper (link (http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html)) to remove all ATI/AMD driver files. After all that click Windows Orb and in the text search box enter cmd. Now click the cmd.exe program (command prompt) that show up at the up. Now, in the command window that pops up type chkdsk C: /f /r then press enter key. Repeat for any other drives/partitions in that system by replacing C: with the appropriate drive letter. After all drives have been tested reboot the system Two Times.

On a different system download an older version of CCC, like 12.6. Copy the installer to a thumb drive to allow transfer to problem system and install driver.

Hope something here helps.
This is a dedicated cruncher that was fine until I swapped the video cards. Tried numerous drivers on SSD and thumb drive. Ran Driver sweeper, Driver fusion and atiman uninstaller. Nothing worked. Doubt there's any malware because this drive has been reimaged. Thanks for trying, I'm still searching.

Fire$torm
12-07-12, 12:37 PM
OK. Hmmmm, could it be an issue with GPU BIOS? Is there a BIOS update for that card?

Slicker
12-07-12, 01:07 PM
This is a dedicated cruncher that was fine until I swapped the video cards.

Not that it will fix your problem, but why not just add the second card?

A driver cleaner might be able to help, although many don't include the OpenCL files as they are dated prior to the AMD OpenCL driver release. Also, if AMD changed any of the filenames, it wouldn't find those. On the other hand, if it is a dedicated cruncher, the worst that can happen is you have to reformat and reinstall the op sys as you wouldn't have a lot of apps or data on it.

nanoprobe
12-07-12, 05:38 PM
It took three tries with a re-image but I finally got it working with the original card. I still have no idea what happened but something got borked just by swapping out the cards. Whatever it was atiman uninstaller, driver sweeper, ccleaner and driver fusion couldn't fix it. Maybe I'll torture myself some more and try to swap them again.
Thanks to all who helped.

Duke of Buckingham
12-07-12, 05:56 PM
Good that is working.:D