PDA

View Full Version : Intel 3770k into a X58 Motherboard ?

STE\/E
12-15-12, 07:58 AM
I'm trying to find out if a i7 3770k CPU will run in a X58 Motherboard ? but still not sure one way or the other. The reason I'm trying to find out is because one of my 980X Extreme CPU's simply won't run like I'd like it to. It won't Overclock at all, it won't run the NFS Wu's in HT Mode even at the Stock 3.3GHZ Speed, it will even BSOB running 6 Wu's once in awhile at the Stock Speed. My other 980X Extreme Box will run the NFS Wu's at 4.2GHZ but again not in HT Mode. Both Box's are Identical, same Motherboards, Ram & Cooling. If the 3770k would run in the X58 Board, a MSI Big Bang X Power X58 board I have a spare 3770k sitting here until next week when my RMA'ed Motherboard will arrive, it shipped yesterday.

I figure I could pull the 980X CPU & slap the 3770k into the Board & see how it run's in that Board to give me an Idea if it's the Board or the CPU limiting the OC'ing of the 980X CPU. I already put new Memory & a new 1000w PSU into & did a complete reinstall of the OS Last night but it still runs goofy. If the 3770k won't run in the X58 Board (They specify i7 CPU's) then I'll have to shut down the other 980X Box & pull the CPU from it & put it into the other Box to see how it Overclocks in that Box. If it won't Overclock in the other Box then it's probably the Motherboard, if it does Overclock okay then the CPU is probably bad ... :(

Both the Motherboard & CPU are still under Warranty so I can get either replaced. I'm thinking of selling both boards & 980X CPU's anyway, I could probably get enough to buy 2 new Motherboards & 2 new 3770k CPU's. I'm really impressed with the 3770k. Micro Center is still selling the 3770k for $229 + Tax here in Michigan for a final price of about $244.

John P. Myers
12-15-12, 12:50 PM
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower.html#/?div=CPUSupport

No such luck :/ Wrong socket

STE\/E
12-15-12, 04:28 PM
Yeah I figured that, oh well it does run at the stock speed okay for awhile anyway lol ... Think I'll try some different Wu's on it to see if it still crash's, might just be the NFS Wu's ...

STE\/E
12-15-12, 06:48 PM
Well I spent about an hour swapping 980X CPU's in the 2 Box's, will see what happens now ... :rolleyes: ... Both Booted up at 4.2 GHZ but how long either will run at that is another thing ...

STE\/E
12-15-12, 07:28 PM
Well that didn't take long, now the other Box is crashing if I overclock the CPU so I suspect the CPU is going or is bad, downloaded Intel's Processor Frequency checking tool & will run it tomorrow. Will also fire off a Support request for a RMA on it tomorrow & see what they say ...

STE\/E
12-16-12, 05:58 AM
The problem 980X Extreme CPU may not be as bad as I think it it, it's been running primaboinca for 4 Hr's now @ 4.2 GHZ. Still not as high an OC as the 3770k's will get but at least it will OC given the right Project, the NFS 1gb+ Wu's may just be to strenuous for it. I've contacted Intel about it & will talk to them & see what they want to do ...

John P. Myers
12-17-12, 07:23 PM
Any word on your cripple processor yet?

STE\/E
12-17-12, 07:29 PM
I swapped it into the other 980X Box, switched CPU's that is, now that Box acts weird, just had to go down & reboot it because it was locked up but it's the 1'st time it locked up when not overclocked. Just running the CPU & GPU @ their stock speeds. It's funny, it will run the primabonica Wu's 6 at a time Overclocked to 4.2 GHZ but withing a minute or two of switching back to the NFS Wu's it will crash. The other 980X runs all day long at 4.2 & never crash's.

I contacted Intel but haven't heard back from them yet, it could be that particular CPU just doesn't like the NFS Wu's, hard to say ... Just got the 10'th 3770k Box running though ... :D

STE\/E
12-19-12, 03:44 AM
Intel contacted me & seem to be willing to RMA it but haven't so far. Box was down again this morning, I gave it +0.010 Core Volts yesterday running at the stock speed, it ran okay all day but as usual it was down when I got up this morning.

John P. Myers
12-20-12, 12:34 AM
Intel contacted me & seem to be willing to RMA it but haven't so far. Box was down again this morning, I gave it +0.010 Core Volts yesterday running at the stock speed, it ran okay all day but as usual it was down when I got up this morning.

:( i hope they can give you a better chip. That thing sounds like it should've been binned down a level.

STE\/E
12-20-12, 06:54 AM
:( i hope they can give you a better chip. That thing sounds like it should've been binned down a level.

Yeah well thankfully I've only had to deal with Intel 1 time before & I see they haven't sped up their RMA Process any at all. Their about as slow as crap running uphill IMO, You contact them then wait 3-5 days for an automated response letting you know they received your e-mail & that they will get back with you in 2-3 days. So then you finally get a human response from them & all they want to know is a bunch of information about the CPU & your system.

So you give them all the info they want then wait 3-5 days for another automated response from them letting you know they received your e-mail &n they will get back with you in 2-3 days. They again want to know a bunch of Info, Rinse & Repeat is about all they like to do. The last time I had a CPU go bad about 4 years ago I think it took about 4 month's from the first time I contacted them until I finally received a new CPU back from them ... :rolleyes:

STE\/E
12-21-12, 02:15 PM
Got my RMA from Intel today for the 980X that I'm not sure is bad or not, it's running the Asteroid Wu's now @ 4.2Ghz the same as the other 980X I have. It also ran some Primaboinca Wu's the other day for some Hr's @ 4.2 Ghz soooooooooo ... Neither 980X will clock over 4.2, at least not under BOINC load so that just may be their limit under BOINC Load. I'll try some NFS on it later & see if it crash's again. I have 60 Days to send it in for a replacement so there's no hurry on it now that I have the RMA in hand ...

STE\/E
12-21-12, 05:23 PM
Just sent the problem 980X out for RMA, as soon as I switched it back over to NFS & the 1Gb+ Wu's it crashed so I had enough of it. It'll probably be the week after next before I get a replacement for it with the Holidays & all ...

John P. Myers
12-21-12, 05:47 PM
Just sent the problem 980X out for RMA, as soon as I switched it back over to NFS & the 1Gb+ Wu's it crashed so I had enough of it. It'll probably be the week after next before I get a replacement for it with the Holidays & all ...

Good :) Glad the headache is over for you. Now you just have to deal with an empty void for awhile :(

Fire$torm
12-22-12, 03:26 AM
Good :) Glad the headache is over for you. Now you just have to deal with an empty void for awhile :(

Oh what an overwhelmingly awful feeling that is......... :(( :((