PDA

View Full Version : Need Heat Sink Recommendation

zombie67
12-20-12, 09:42 AM
The new solverstone small chassis arrived. I also ordered an H60 to install on the mobo. A couple of the folks in the feedback section mention that they did the same, but I can't figure out where they mounted the thing. I think they must have done some custom fabrication, which I am not willing to do.

So that leaves me with using a conventional heat sink + fan. But now it can be much taller, up to 117mm. Any recommendations? The only constraints is that it can't be much wider than a stock heat sink. Also, the air flow is from a big fan, directly over the mobo, directly down on to the mobo. So it would be good if the heat sink would work with that (horizontally mounted fan).

Thanks!

EmSti
12-20-12, 10:02 AM
I haven't used that case, but I have mounted a H60 in CoolerMaster case by cutting a hole through the fan grill on the back and passing the cooling head in. This allowed me to mount one fan in the case and the radiator and other fan outside of the case. Oh, I also had to cut over to the inlet holes already present on the back of the case for the water hoses. I wasn't willing to disconnet the H60 hoses and simply reconnect them through the holes.

STE\/E
12-20-12, 03:07 PM
I haven't used that case, but I have mounted a H60 in CoolerMaster case by cutting a hole through the fan grill on the back and passing the cooling head in. This allowed me to mount one fan in the case and the radiator and other fan outside of the case. Oh, I also had to cut over to the inlet holes already present on the back of the case for the water hoses. I wasn't willing to disconnet the H60 hoses and simply reconnect them through the holes.

I had to do the same thing for my Full Tower Silverstone Case. I did as neat a job as I could & ended up Mounting the H80 Fans & Radiator outside the Case & Passing the CPU Cooler thru the Hole I Cut out where the original 80mm Fans went ...

Fire$torm
12-21-12, 01:37 AM
Hey Z,
I read the feedback section on Newegg and the person who used the Antec Kuhler H20 620 removed the top mounted 180mm fan, made or bought a bracket to take the place of that fan so he/she could attach the Antec Kuhler fan to it. Although a 180mm to 120mm bracket would be hard to find, you could easily dremel a Bitspower 200mm to 140/120mm adapter (Link (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172&products_id=33951)) to work.

Edit: I would presume that the aforementioned owner configured to Antec Kuhler fans (Push/Pull) to vent out of the case instead on into the case.

zombie67
12-21-12, 02:54 AM
Hey Z,
I read the feedback section on Newegg and the person who used the Antec Kuhler H20 620 removed the top mounted 180mm fan, made or bought a bracket to take the place of that fan so he/she could attach the Antec Kuhler fan to it. Although a 180mm to 120mm bracket would be hard to find, you could easily dremel a Bitspower 200mm to 140/120mm adapter (Link (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172&products_id=33951)) to work.

Edit: I would presume that the aforementioned owner configured to Antec Kuhler fans (Push/Pull) to vent out of the case instead on into the case.

Thanks for the info. I guess I did not pay enough attention to the details...as usual. So I guess that means I also have a H60 available.