PDA

View Full Version : Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

STE\/E
12-24-12, 04:39 PM
What is everybody running for amount of GPU Wu's, I'm running 4 GPU on 2 CPU for my ATI 7970 GPU's & just 1 GPU Wu on 1 CPU on my NVIDIA. The ATI runs 4 faster then the NVIDIA will run 1, is this normal ???

zombie67
12-24-12, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I found the 7970 to be about 2x a 580, so I use my nvidia GPUs elsewhere. I am running 8 at a time on my 7970 with .75 CPU thread per task. At first they are all on the same pattern, all needing the CPU at the same time, and then all needing the GPU at the same time. Let it run over night, and by morning, they will have spread out, keeping a pretty steady load on both the CPU and GPU.

STE\/E
12-25-12, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I found the 7970 to be about 2x a 580, so I use my nvidia GPUs elsewhere. I am running 8 at a time on my 7970 with .75 CPU thread per task. At first they are all on the same pattern, all needing the CPU at the same time, and then all needing the GPU at the same time. Let it run over night, and by morning, they will have spread out, keeping a pretty steady load on both the CPU and GPU.

Okay & Thanks Z, I'll try 8& see what happens or if it's better to run 8 v 4 ... Funny my WCG Signature show's the BlackHoleSun Team when I did join the SETI.USA Team several days ago ...

STE\/E
12-25-12, 07:29 AM
Seems to be a good improvement running 8 v 4 even leaving it on .5 CPU, I'm trying to use as little CPU's as I can so I can run more CPU Wu's, looks like about 7 Min's to run 8 WCG GPU Wu's with the GPU's at their Stock running Speeds ... :cool: ... One Box was a little balky so I suspended all the WCG Wu's and started them up 2 @ a time at 1 Min Intervals, that seemed to fix it and it's running the Wu's as fast as the other Box's now ... :)

Rattledagger
12-25-12, 08:19 AM
Personally I've been running 8 Amd-7950 for 8 HT-cores, since this computer often uses 0.5 - 1.5 cores for non-DC-related things.

STE\/E
12-25-12, 10:27 AM
I tried some 8 on 8 for awhile & the WCG Wu's ran slower than when on 8 on 4 (.5 CPU) so going back to 8 on 4, probably the GPU got lazier when on 8 on 8 ... :confused:

Mike029
12-25-12, 12:33 PM
I've found the sweet spot for me is running 10 on 5 (7970 and 2600k .5 per core, 16gb 1600 mem.) Any more or less and it reduces credits. Temps stay a cool 50 running the 10 wus. Noise is reasonable.

STE\/E
12-25-12, 01:52 PM
I have 1 Box that is taking twice as long as the other 5 Box's ? all have 7979 Cards & 3770k CPU running at the same speeds ... Weird

nanoprobe
12-26-12, 09:09 AM
I have 1 Box that is taking twice as long as the other 5 Box's ? all have 7979 Cards & 3770k CPU running at the same speeds ... Weird

7970 driver version?

STE\/E
12-26-12, 09:41 AM
\It's been okay since shortly after I posted, I went out & rebooted it and the Wu's Running Time dropped in half ...

STE\/E
12-30-12, 02:42 AM
Don't know what the Hell happened in the WCG Challenge, I moved up to 2'nd place fairly quickly & was closing in on 1'st & now I'm completely gone, haven't been listed in the Stats for several Hr's now. I'm still on the Team China Team according to My Grid at WCG soooooooo :confused:

EDIT: I'm back in the Challenge Stats again ...

Al
12-30-12, 08:54 AM

In a mixed system, is there a way to specify in the app_config to only use the ati gpus? Mine is using both ati and nvidia. Not a huge problem, but I'd prefer to put the nvidia's somewhere else.

STE\/E
12-30-12, 09:00 AM
There may be one but I don't know about it ... :rolleyes:

Al
12-30-12, 09:31 AM
There may be one but I don't know about it ... :rolleyes:

I can't find anything in the app_config that addresses this, but I did find a work around that is working, at least for now.

I suspended WCG and aborted all nvidia tasks and set to NNW. I lowered the number Max concurrent in the app_config. I started accepting work from Primegrid (nvidia only) and got a cache full and let them start. I then shut down BM and restarted with the adjusted app_config. WCG started (returned to accepting new work) on the ati's only since the nvidia was busy already. I'll have to wait to see if WCG will continue to send nvidia work units. If it does, I'll be curious to see if they actually start because I also set resource share on PG higher.

nanoprobe
12-30-12, 12:12 PM
In a mixed system, is there a way to specify in the app_config to only use the ati gpus? Mine is using both ati and nvidia. Not a huge problem, but I'd prefer to put the nvidia's somewhere else.
Are you talking about WCG? If so add this code to your cc_config.xml file which is in the BOINC folder, not the project folder.
<exclude_gpu>
<url>project_www.worldcommunitygrid.org</url>
<device_num>N</device_num>
<type>nvidia</type>
</exclude_gpu>

Device N is which ever the nvidia gpu is, 0 or 1.

If you don't have a cc_config.xml file already in the BOINC folder then just copy the code below into notepad, rename it cc_config.xml and add it to the BOINC folder. Just remember to give the N tag a number for your nvidia card. You'll have to shut down and restart BOINC for the changes to take effect.

<cc_config>
<options>
<exclude_gpu>
<type>nvidia</type>
</exclude_gpu>
</options>
</cc_config>

Al
12-30-12, 03:46 PM
Are you talking about WCG? If so add this code to your cc_config.xml file which is in the BOINC folder, not the project folder.
<exclude_gpu>
<type>nvidia</type>
</exclude_gpu>

Device N is which ever the nvidia gpu is, 0 or 1.

If you don't have a cc_config.xml file already in the BOINC folder then just copy the code below into notepad, rename it cc_config.xml and add it to the BOINC folder. Just remember to give the N tag a number for your nvidia card. You'll have to shut down and restart BOINC for the changes to take effect.

<cc_config>
<options>
<exclude_gpu>
<type>nvidia</type>
</exclude_gpu>
</options>
</cc_config>

Thanks nanoprobe...while looking so hard for an answer inside the app_config, I totally forgot about the exclude in the cc_config.

STE\/E
12-31-12, 04:56 AM
lol, I just figured out that I had 357k in Pending Credits at the WCG Project, that's a lot of Pendings for a low paying project ...:rolleyes:

nanoprobe
12-31-12, 11:22 AM
lol, I just figured out that I had 357k in Pending Credits at the WCG Project, that's a lot of Pendings for a low paying project ...:rolleyes:
I always wondered why all the stats sites only give 1 credit for every 7 WCG points. Large amounts of PV are pretty common at WCG, especially with the GPU app. I usually average around 300 pages of PVs @ 15 per page.:rolleyes:

Bok
12-31-12, 01:17 PM
WCG have retained their points scoring system from the pre-BOINC days which they display on their site, but they use the BOINC credit system in the back-end which is what is exported out to the stats sites. There is a 7:1 ratio between the two.

nanoprobe
12-31-12, 03:00 PM
WCG have retained their points scoring system from the pre-BOINC days which they display on their site, but they use the BOINC credit system in the back-end which is what is exported out to the stats sites. There is a 7:1 ratio between the two.
Too bad that can't be fixed. I personally care far more about results than points but I know many of the points hounds won't run WCG because of the credit system they use. Sad.

Rattledagger
01-01-13, 03:33 PM
Too bad that can't be fixed. I personally care far more about results than points but I know many of the points hounds won't run WCG because of the credit system they use. Sad.
As far as BoincStats and other BOINC-only stats-sites goes, WCG uses the BOINC credit-system, just like SETI@home and most other BOINC-projects does.

The "dog-points" is still available on WCG's own web-pages for the benefit of the users ran the non-BOINC-client, the non-BOINC-points now equals 4.1% of WCG's total points.

pinhodecarlos
01-02-13, 08:42 AM
My new laptop will have an AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M, VRAM 1024 MB. What projects are suitable to run on it?

Thank you in advance,

Carlos

Fire$torm
01-02-13, 04:07 PM
My new laptop will have an AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M, VRAM 1024 MB. What projects are suitable to run on it?

Thank you in advance,

Carlos

Carlos,
IIRC, the only ATI project you cannot run is Milkyway@Home as the 76xx series is not Double Precision which MW@H requires.

STE\/E
01-20-13, 07:50 AM
What Wu's are running on the ATI Cards now, I have Help Cure Cancer selected & to use Video Card but the Project keeps telling me there's no work available ... ???

EDIT: I seem to be getting some ATI work now so I guess my settings are okay ... The work seems to be awful sporadic though, 6 Box's calling but only 1 with work & that's running out too ...

nanoprobe
01-20-13, 11:57 AM
What Wu's are running on the ATI Cards now, I have Help Cure Cancer selected & to use Video Card but the Project keeps telling me there's no work available ... ???

EDIT: I seem to be getting some ATI work now so I guess my settings are okay ... The work seems to be awful sporadic though, 6 Box's calling but only 1 with work & that's running out too ...
There are server updates going on today for a few hours. There will be a 24 hour outage starting tomorrow. You should be able to get tasks sometime this afternoon. They've upped the cache limit to 5000 so the high volume crunchers don't run out of work during the 24 hour shut down for maintenance.

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,34590

STE\/E
01-20-13, 02:32 PM
Yup, I'm starting to pick up a lot more GPU Wu's now, over 3000 of a few Box's ...