PDA

View Full Version : Socket 2011 To Get A New Toy

John P. Myers
01-04-13, 05:21 PM
Ever wondered how powerful a Sandy Bridge-E would be if it had 8 cores? well guess what :D Intel should be releasing the i7-3980X in Q2

Also, expect IB-E in Q3, featuring 6 to 12 cores.

zombie67
01-04-13, 05:33 PM
Ever wondered how powerful a Sandy Bridge-E would be if it had 8 cores? well guess what :D Intel should be releasing the i7-3980X in Q2

Also, expect IB-E in Q3, featuring 6 to 12 cores.

Now you're talking my language!!

Will I be able to wait for the 12 core IB? place your bets!

Fire$torm
01-04-13, 05:45 PM
Now you're talking my language!!

Will I be able to wait for the 12 core IB? place your bets!

20 bucks here says..... Yes :D

@JPM: Info plz?

John P. Myers
01-05-13, 06:43 AM
@JPM: Info plz?

No info to give except for some guesses. Price is guessed at $1000, taking the place of the 3970X. Clock speed is guess at somewhere around 3.4GHz with turbo somewhere around 4.0GHz. No idea on TDP though it should approach 200W. No idea on cache though i'm pretty sure it won't be 15MB like on the 3970X. Maybe 20MB? No idea if it comes with a stock cooler. Need more info :)

Edit: Since you bet $20 on Z being able to wait, i'll bet $20 against it :D

trigggl
01-05-13, 07:17 AM
20 bucks here says..... Yes :D

Edit: Since you bet $20 on Z being able to wait, i'll bet $20 against it :D

Heads - He waits / Tails - He don't

zombie67
02-09-13, 09:24 PM
Any reason the 8 core SB, or the 12 core IB would *not* work in the current 2011 MBs?

Edit: Also, what is the best 2011 4x dual GPU boards out there nowadays?

John P. Myers
02-10-13, 06:10 PM
Any reason the 8 core SB, or the 12 core IB would *not* work in the current 2011 MBs?

Edit: Also, what is the best 2011 4x dual GPU boards out there nowadays?

The 8-core SB-Es will be compatible with current 2011. The 12-core IB-Es will also still be compatible with 2011, however you may expect to wait as long after the initial release of SB-E until the 8-core for the initial release of IB-E and the 12-core, though 10-cores should be available pretty quickly.

As far as the best mobos go, this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130626) is pretty good. Or this EVGA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188123) or this ASUS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131808).

Of course if you're really wanting to spend a 5-figure tax refund, grab this Gigabyte board (http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4468#ov), then put 2 12-core IB-E Xeons in it when they come out. :D

zombie67
02-10-13, 07:07 PM
Thanks!

Fire$torm
02-10-13, 09:04 PM
I'd suggest staying away form the EVGA. User feedback suggests this board has some serious issues. The daul LAN on the MSI might come in handy. And it gets points for style.

zombie67
04-20-13, 10:29 PM
What's the latest on this? I see a whole bunch of rumor/news about IB-E 6 core (3rd Q). Any more info on the higher-core IB-E versions? Or the 8-core SB-E?

DrPop
04-20-13, 11:18 PM
What's the latest on this? I see a whole bunch of rumor/news about IB-E 6 core (3rd Q). Any more info on the higher-core IB-E versions? Or the 8-core SB-E?

Before my latest hardware purchase, I did hours of reading and scouring the web for this stuff last week. All I could find is that Intel is bringing out (1) 4 core IB-e and (2) 6 core IB-e CPUs for socket 2011, and they are pushed back to Q4.
Here is a page (http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013033001_Intel_Ivy_Bridge-E_extreme_CPUs_to_launch_in_Q3_2013.html)with some good info.

More than one tech "guru" seems to think Intel should (and may) skip IB-e and go straight to Haswell-e.
That would be fine, excpet for the the fact that Haswell-e may or may not work with your current socket 2011 mobo. They may require a new chipset, so that compatability remains to be seen.

In my opinion, Intel is screwing over the high-end enthusiast segment of the market here. The XEON counterparts of this chip are slated for 15 cores and huge caches when this round of upgrades hit. And what do they give the "non XEON" socket 2011 lineup? A wimpy little MHz boost and that's it. If you want to read about what the XEON side is getting, a brief one is here (http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013040201_Some_details_of_upcoming_Intel_Xeon_E5_ v2_and_E7_v2_CPUs.html).

So with all this uncertainty, I did not sell my AM3+ setup and go socket 2011 like I was thinking...:p:mad:

John P. Myers
04-20-13, 11:29 PM

Intel changed their roadmap in such a way that it appears they will no longer release the 8-core SB-E since IB-E is so near and since they both use the same socket and chipset. No reason to release an 8-core CPU with a 200W TDP today, then release an 8-core CPU with a 150W TDP 3 months later that's 7-10% faster. They'd never sell many 8-core SB-Es and probably would end up taking a loss on that product line. There may have also been a problem with the original socket 2011 design on many boards, preventing them from being able to deliver enough juice to correctly run an 8-core SB-E, especially heavily overclocked. Many users may have found they had to upgrade their boards to high-end models and wouldn't bother, further hurting chip sales.

Yes IB-E is starting out by releasing a few 6-core CPUs. More cores would come later, but still unsure how much later. Also, Intel is showing signs of backtracking again. There may be no 12 core IB-E anymore. No 10 core either. It's looking like 8 is as good as it will get. So disappointing :/

zombie67
04-21-13, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the update guys.

So... Wait 6 months for IB-E 6 core? Or buy another 6 core SB-E?

DrPop
04-21-13, 01:34 AM
...Wait 6 months for IB-E 6 core? Or buy another 6 core SB-E?

Hmmm...how bad do you want the extra 6 cores? It's going to be at least Oct / Nov by the time we know what Intel's got up their sleeve from the sounds of it.
Could you at least hold off until Haswell comes out, or do you need the extra power sooner? I think Intel may be forced to tip their hand a little once Haswell comes out for regular desktop socket, because the enthusiast level guys who went from socket 1366 to socket 2011 and paid the bucks - well, they're going to be chomping at the bit for info when their enthusiast level CPU is 2 generations behind the regular desktop!

I just think you might have a better idea of where they're headed and what your options are. That would mean waiting until late May or early June though I think. Unfortunate that there is no competition to put the squeeze on them in the high end.:p

Duke of Buckingham
04-21-13, 10:18 AM
It is because of my smelly sockets that I use this mask. I use them since 2011.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/093/7/3/darth_vader_by_cocoluvv-d4uwvhd.jpg

zombie67
06-05-13, 11:28 PM
Time to revisit this thread, now that haswell is out, and there is more info available.

Any news on IB-E 8-core? Or anything with more than 6 cores? If not, maybe time to just go with another SB-E 6-core?

Ugh, this is what happens when AMD is no longer competition.

John P. Myers
06-09-13, 09:04 PM
Other than continued speculation, not a word has been said either way :/

John P. Myers
06-15-13, 12:22 PM
And today we get some (bad?) news. The news is Intel has finally announced that there WILL be an 8-core CPU. The bad news is it's Haswell-E due out in Q3/4 next year. It will support 288-pin DDR4 though, and will NOT be compatible with current 2011 motherboards. Intel states this 8-core Haswell-E will be the first 8-core desktop processor offered by Intel, meaning they won't release an 8-core IB-E unless they change their mind, which they could/should. IMO they should still release an 8-core SB-E made from the old stock of Xeons they're trying to sell off to push a move to IB Xeons.

As much as AMD's CPUs suck, i'm having a hard time deciding which company has disappointed me more lately.

Edit: http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-core-i7-ivy-bridge-e-core-i3-haswell-lineup-detailed/37832.html

DrPop
06-15-13, 04:09 PM
Seeing how I'm setting up a Socket 2011 system right this minute . . . that chaps my hide. :p

zombie67
06-15-13, 10:59 PM
AAAARRRGH!

And the 8-core haswell is 1.5 YEARS away?! WTF kind of announcement is that?!

DrPop
06-16-13, 12:13 AM
AAAARRRGH!

And the 8-core haswell is 1.5 YEARS away?! WTF kind of announcement is that?!

I agree. That's an "Intel has us by the you-know-whats and knows it" kind of announcement, that's what that is. :p Stupid, totally without excuse. If you look at a 6 core SB-e die, the 7th and 8th cores are simply "empty space" that could be usable cores. We know they could be, because on their XEONs they are! This is their "we're going to force you to buy 100% marked up XEONs" if you want real crunching power strategy.

And it's not like I'm being Mr. Sour Grapes here either. I'm not clamoring for a true 8 core enthusiast CPU immediately after they introduced the 6 core version. They've had how long between the SB-e release and the upcoming IB-e release? Enough time to roll out another Tick and another Tock! That's two mainstream cycles completed before they even did one cycle on their enthusiast lineup, and there's still at least 4 months to go before the small refresh that will be IB-e comes out! :rolleyes: Yeah. Like they couldn't figure it out in that amount of time? Ridiculous.:mad:

...maybe they will change their mind, throw us a bone, and do something with the left-over SB-e XEONs now that they switched to IB-e and then are starting to do Haswell based XEONs. One can only hope.

zombie67
06-16-13, 12:54 AM
Any better ETA on the IB-E 6-core?

John P. Myers
06-16-13, 01:58 AM
Any better ETA on the IB-E 6-core?

September

Edit: after reading this depressing news today, i kinda had a "to hell with it" moment and immediately began searching for a dual Xeon board. But i also wanted overclocking and tons of PCIe slots, so of course my first thought was "time to buy an EVGA SR-X". Fail. You can't. They no longer exist, not even on Amazon and not even on eBay, used or otherwise. You can still buy SR-2s all day long, but no SR-X. Figured i could be happy for a few years with 2 of the cheapest (but recent) 6 core Xeons i could find, but no. Another bubble bursted lol

zombie67
06-16-13, 02:16 AM
September

Edit: after reading this depressing news today, i kinda had a "to hell with it" moment and immediately began searching for a dual Xeon board. But i also wanted overclocking and tons of PCIe slots, so of course my first thought was "time to buy an EVGA SR-X". Fail. You can't. They no longer exist, not even on Amazon and not even on eBay, used or otherwise. You can still buy SR-2s all day long, but no SR-X. Figured i could be happy for a few years with 2 of the cheapest (but recent) 6 core Xeons i could find, but no. Another bubble bursted lol

Hah! I was just about to look into dual xeon again, after having bought them many times...and ending up sad and frustrated. Thanks for saving me the work!

John P. Myers
07-20-13, 10:15 PM